Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

rodbeard posted:

I just finally bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne in January and 2 months later the game is free for Ps plus members.

FROM deserves your support comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

rodbeard posted:

I just finally bought a PS4 to play Bloodborne in January and 2 months later the game is free for Ps plus members.

The cost of bloodborne was just a fraction of the price of the whole buy in. Also the PS4 has a lot of fantastic poo poo. I bought mine for Destiny and have picked up an assload of games. There’s still no fight night, though. UFC3 is just not as intuitive

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s still no fight night, though. UFC3 is just not as intuitive

I'm so torn, Fight Night is the only straight up sports game I really like, but I almost don't want one right now when EA are still in maximum gently caress customers, pay for random stat boosts with funny munny mode.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

MrAptronym posted:

This. I really quite liked the ending.

At the end of Prey I felt a bit of a disconnect. I didn't hate the ending, I think they did it about as well as they could have. But I definitely felt a lack of catharsis at the ending. There's just this "so nothing I did mattered at all" feeling that hits right as the game ends and just stuffs it. I can think back on the end and appreciate it, but that doesn't go back in time and change how the end's immediate impact. I like an ending to feel good at the time you know? They really needed to have that reveal before the end, but it wouldn't make sense for the in-game purpose of the simulation for it to be made clear, your character had to believe what they were doing mattered. I'm not sure it was avoidable for some people to just not feel the ending given the story. So it's more of a "not to my taste" feeling rather than "they hosed up" feeling for me. Which is kinda refreshing. So often I'm just upset or indifferent about the writing at the end of games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think all it was all a dream/simulation!! endings are just inherently weak. They've been done a million times over and most rely on cheap last-minute reversals rather than a thoughtful recontextualization of everything that preceded it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like that Westworld's first, early reveal was that It's a robot theme park! and the progressive reveal was that It's metaphorically a hell! and the final reveal that Dr. Ford wasn't a complete sadist and tyrant!

edit: I'm in the games thread. Wooooops.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Caufman posted:

I like that Westworld's first, early reveal was that It's a robot theme park! and the progressive reveal was that It's metaphorically a hell! and the final reveal that Dr. Ford wasn't a complete sadist and tyrant!

edit: I'm in the games thread. Wooooops.

Well if we change up some keywords you literally just described Prey so don't worry too much.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

exquisite tea posted:

I think all it was all a dream/simulation!! endings are just inherently weak. They've been done a million times over and most rely on cheap last-minute reversals rather than a thoughtful recontextualization of everything that preceded it.

Link's Awakening was good though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I thought Link's Awakening did it well. It doesn't just come out of nowhere, you get the bosses calling you an idiot and the guide owl being shifty and evasive.

Although I guess the main difference is that its angle is "you destroyed it" rather than "it didn't matter"

efb

Qwertycoatl has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Mar 10, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Link's Awakening is like a million years old and made before video game stories were barely evolved so who cares about that. When games are still resorting to "it was all a dream!!" in 2018 then you gotta wonder.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

exquisite tea posted:

Link's Awakening is like a million years old and made before video game stories were barely evolved so who cares about that. When games are still resorting to "it was all a dream!!" in 2018 then you gotta wonder.

The difference was that LA goes it IS all a dream, and if you continue you’re going to wake up the magical creature whose dream you are in and destroy this wonderful island paradise full of people with feelings and dreams themselves and then Link pulls up his bootie shorts and goes watch this, so at least it has that over other IT WAS ALL A DREAM games

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

And then the game ends with Link adrift in the ocean because that ungrateful Punk Whale wouldn't give him a lift to the mainland. At the very least your lady-friend is reborn as a seagull if you get a perfect 000 on your save-file.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And then the game ends with Link adrift in the ocean because that ungrateful Punk Whale wouldn't give him a lift to the mainland. At the very least your lady-friend is reborn as a seagull if you get a perfect 000 on your save-file.

But why would you, THIEF

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I finally got around to playing X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I'm enjoying it but there's a ton of poo poo that would be unacceptable otherwise which includes

1) platforming in a hack & slash game

2) giant enemies can basically only be killed in one way

3) the third level suddenly turns into a puzzle stealth game

4) the framerate loving sucks

That said, it's as violent as you'd want a Wolverine game to be and really only Logan was as violent as it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Calaveron posted:

But why would you, THIEF
Did someone say THIEF? :shopkeeper:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The camera rat is a traitor.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Testekill posted:

I finally got around to playing X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I'm enjoying it but there's a ton of poo poo that would be unacceptable otherwise which includes

1) platforming in a hack & slash game

2) giant enemies can basically only be killed in one way

3) the third level suddenly turns into a puzzle stealth game

4) the framerate loving sucks

That said, it's as violent as you'd want a Wolverine game to be and really only Logan was as violent as it.

The game is awesome and approximately 50000 times better than the lovely movie. I just wish there were more costumes. I can't for the life of me figure out why there's never been a proper open world X-Men game, even just a Wolverine one would be awesome.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So after a sinfully long time I finally decided to play Ys Origin, beat Yunica's story on Normal and started on Hugo.

God drat playing him right now is boring. Even with no abilities Yunica at least had attack combos and stuff, all Hugo has right now is laser spam and a clunky-to-execute lightning bolt thing. And to make matters worse his first special skill doesn't seem to have any offensive uses, so all I get is a protective shield while still spamming the ol' lasers.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So after a sinfully long time I finally decided to play Ys Origin, beat Yunica's story on Normal and started on Hugo.

God drat playing him right now is boring. Even with no abilities Yunica at least had attack combos and stuff, all Hugo has right now is laser spam and a clunky-to-execute lightning bolt thing. And to make matters worse his first special skill doesn't seem to have any offensive uses, so all I get is a protective shield while still spamming the ol' lasers.

It kind of shows that their combat system is designed more for Yunica Adol

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think I remember Hugo getting slightly better later on, but yeah, I put Ys Origin down for a good long while when I got to Hugo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Testekill posted:

I finally got around to playing X-Men Origins: Wolverine.. 4) the framerate loving sucks

Are you playing the PC version? If so there's an .ini with loads of undocumented graphics toggles. Turning on vsync and uncapping the framerate are mandatory imo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Are you playing the PC version? If so there's an .ini with loads of undocumented graphics toggles. Turning on vsync and uncapping the framerate are mandatory imo

360 version. I'll try installing it to the hard drive to see if it helps

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Things dragging games down: Games from that weird late PS2, into 360/PS3 era that actually got PC ports, but due to the timing, publisher negligence, or rights issues never showed up on digital distribution. ...Or ended up removed from digital distro for similar reasons.

Though realistically if that :krad: Wolverine game showed up on Steam, Activision would probably still want $30 for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Things dragging games down: Games from that weird late PS2, into 360/PS3 era that actually got PC ports, but due to the timing, publisher negligence, or rights issues never showed up on digital distribution. ...Or ended up removed from digital distro for similar reasons.

Though realistically if that :krad: Wolverine game showed up on Steam, Activision would probably still want $30 for it.

They’re still charging like forty for the ultimate alliance games now that they’re back on digital, it’s nuts.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Didn’t Activision release a fairly bad hd port of their Deadpool game and sell it at full price?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Didn’t Activision release a fairly bad hd port of their Deadpool game and sell it at full price?

I think they just rereleased the existing PC version at full price when the movie came out. The one that was removed from stores a years before.

Hel has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Mar 12, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hel posted:

I think they just rereleased the existing PC version at full price when the movie came out. The one that was removed from stores a years before.

Yeah, activision loses licenses fairly often for their games. I don’t think you can by the cybertron series transformers games anymore, which sucks since those were excellent.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At least with older PC games the retail DVD actually has an installer so you can still play it without any problems. Newer games just have a Steam key so second hand copies are worthless and sooner or later it's impossible to get hold of a delisted game without going on some dodgy Russian website

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Convex posted:

At least with older PC games the retail DVD actually has an installer so you can still play it without any problems. Newer games just have a Steam key so second hand copies are worthless and sooner or later it's impossible to get hold of a delisted game without going on some dodgy Russian website

Yeah, it's pretty sad that we have to rely on :filez: for games preservation even for legitimate stuff. The Swedish Royal Library aims to preserve a copy of every Swedish game and I think you are still legally required to send a copy if you make a game, but since 2015 they don't have the legal right to preserve digital only games, so even they are kind of hosed in that department.

Hel has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Mar 12, 2018

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2 really needs more options for managing/organizing blades. It'd be really useful to organize by things like mastery, or special skills, but the options you have now don't really help much - best you can do is favorite things, but you'd still have to manually scroll through everyone because they all look the same.

It would also be nice to be able to check affinity charts from the mission screen - or anywhere else outside of the party screen, meaning you have to equip them to be able to see their stats.
And the ability to dismiss blades instantly after creation.

Honestly, the weakest thing about the game so far is it's UI.
And the fact that they were teasing the return of "visions" in a cutscene - but instead of being like xenoblade 1's cool mechanic it's a passive evasion buff.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The game is awesome and approximately 50000 times better than the lovely movie. I just wish there were more costumes. I can't for the life of me figure out why there's never been a proper open world X-Men game, even just a Wolverine one would be awesome.

Have I Got a Mod for You!

(i have no idea if it's any good)

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The other thread started talking about Bayonetta and it reminded me of how amazing the final Jeanne fight is.

It's a shame you're forced to play through the most repetitive, nauseating, and drawn-out rail segment I've ever seen in a video game just to get to the fight.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I've been playing Axiom Verge recently, and I mentioned in the other thread loving the powerups and aesthetics. There is one part of it that I think falls flat though: The hallucination sequence. You're told ahead of time about pathogens that cause hallucination and transformation, which spoils the whole thing when you already know it's not real. I haven't finished the game yet, so maybe it comes back up later, but it doesn't feel like it will. It feels like a one-and-done sequence that undercuts itself.

As a point of a comparison I also played LISA: The Painful RPG recently, which also has a lot of hallucination sequences. The hallucinations in LISA come and go rapidly and without warning, making it difficult to tell what's real and what's not at times. They're very effective, and Axiom Verge has pretty much the exact opposite execution.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

FFT posted:

Have I Got a Mod for You!

(i have no idea if it's any good)

Ehhhhhhhh.......

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

moosecow333 posted:

The other thread started talking about Bayonetta and it reminded me of how amazing the final Jeanne fight is.

It's a shame you're forced to play through the most repetitive, nauseating, and drawn-out rail segment I've ever seen in a video game just to get to the fight.

The taller the tree, the sweeter the fruit.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It still really sucks that in bloodborne there is a distinct scarcity of upgrade materials and that if you want decent blood gems you pretty much gotta go do the chalice dungeons.

Also I don't like Ludwig as a boss, there's a lot of frustration there but mostly I have a problem with his big slam that makes a wave and leaves a damage trail. To this day, I still have no idea how you are supposed to dodge it, despite having beaten him twice now.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

I thought Link's Awakening did it well. It doesn't just come out of nowhere, you get the bosses calling you an idiot and the guide owl being shifty and evasive.

Although I guess the main difference is that its angle is "you destroyed it" rather than "it didn't matter"

efb

Yeah, that poo poo got through to me as a stupid kid and it made me feel really weird about the ending, like what is this and why is it sad if I'm the good guy? All the other games coming out for the Game Boy around that time had simple save the world plots, every other Zelda was like this hero quest thing, and here comes Link's Awakening with a morally complex narrative and bosses that beg you to see reason because they are fighting only for the survival of their fragile little soap-bubble of a world. And it pulled that off on a machine that could barely run Pokemon. You can't stay because you don't belong and you can only leave by destroying everything. It's a mournful and painful story and I wish I'd appreciated it at the time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Metroid 2 is less upfront about it, but also kind of weighty for a Gameboy game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Somfin posted:

Yeah, that poo poo got through to me as a stupid kid and it made me feel really weird about the ending, like what is this and why is it sad if I'm the good guy? All the other games coming out for the Game Boy around that time had simple save the world plots, every other Zelda was like this hero quest thing, and here comes Link's Awakening with a morally complex narrative and bosses that beg you to see reason because they are fighting only for the survival of their fragile little soap-bubble of a world. And it pulled that off on a machine that could barely run Pokemon. You can't stay because you don't belong and you can only leave by destroying everything. It's a mournful and painful story and I wish I'd appreciated it at the time.

On a similar note Final Fantasy Adventure was the first game that I remember had "sad at the time" deaths that kind of stuck with me. I'm pretty sure you outright have to mercy kill a party member at one point and that's a weird concept for a kid.
Sucks I could never finish it though, since I saved between two rocks and missed the morning star. It was a pretty good game aside from that. You get a chocobo with robot legs.

John Murdoch posted:

Metroid 2 is less upfront about it, but also kind of weighty for a Gameboy game.

The baby. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The idea of the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past DLC is that Adam Jensen is telling his shrink the story of past events. So when you die, the shrink chips in with comments like "Oh come Adam, tell the story right" or "Adam, I know you didn't die in the prison". It's kinda funny, even though it's ripping off Prince of Persia, but I died a lot and it got really annoying after a while. I can only imagine the shrink getting frustrated as Jensen explains six times in a row how he got exploded by mines he was trying to detonate safely.

"Then I sneaked through a corridor, only to be surprised by a mine which exploded and killed me." :colbert:
"I know that didn't happen Adam"
"Okay, so this time I tried to run up to them and defuse them, but they still exploded and definitely killed me". :colbert:

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Mar 14, 2018