Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I like that Blade Runner 2049 performing poorly hasn't stalled this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How in the hell does Blade Runner 2049 not tank a multi-film Dune adaptation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Barudak posted:

How in the hell does Blade Runner 2049 not tank a multi-film Dune adaptation.

It's coming has been foretold!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The sleeper has awakened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

LesterGroans posted:

I like that Blade Runner 2049 performing poorly hasn't stalled this at all.

I don't think Blade Runner performed poorly, it just wasn't a AAA smash blockbuster.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Rough Lobster posted:

I don't think Blade Runner performed poorly, it just wasn't a AAA smash blockbuster.

Budget $150–185 million
Box office $259.2 million

That seems pretty "bad" from an idiot studio head point of view. I hope that its critical acclaim would make said idiot studio keep the faith in DV

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I sat for some ten minute sneak peek at Wrinkle in Time at Disneyland last weekend. I read the book as a kid but my memory of it is pretty minimal.

The movie looked really stupid.

My 15 year daughter said it looked okay, but has no interest in seeing it. My 9 year old son said he’d rather watch Black Panther again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think 2049 is going to end up having a long tail but time will tell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Was on a Simpsons clip binge on YT the other day and saw that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8uRO3D12vs

'Thus preparing the children for permanent positions in tomorrow's mills and processing facilities'. I'm not sure if that has aged really poorly or hilariously well, given American public schools are basically structured to train children for factory jobs that no longer exist in the country.

On the Liefeld note, I felt that his success might have been almost accidental; he tapped into an aesthetic and zeitgeist that teenagers all over the country were ready for, and then the industry industry milked it to death (and their own death). Which also gave him so much popularity for his indulgent, low-effort work that he never had any further pressure to improve.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerkface posted:

Budget $150–185 million

That seems pretty "bad" from an idiot studio head point of view. I hope that its critical acclaim would make said idiot studio keep the faith in DV

Well that idiot studio head is Ridley Scott and he's been making GBS threads all over DV since the film bombed. Luckily the rest of the industry blame Scott's lovely production company for tanking BR and Alien Covenant in the same year so, for once, it's the idiot studio head and not the visionary director who have suffered.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Budget $150–185 million

Oh man, I thought it lost money with everyone talking about how poo poo it was doing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing about Valerian is while the romantic aspect of it is kinda weak, in that sense it captures that Eurocomic feel of "just accept this as part of the story, they've got this relationship where they fight but they're gonna end up together, you know the drill." Like the big scene establishing all that is weak but the rest of the movie is fun goofy nonsense so it's hard to complain.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

K. Waste posted:

Valerian is cool and rad and also pretty funny.

Last few posts inspired me to check out Valerian this evening.

Yeesh... Kinda fun space world visuals but otherwise it is baaaad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Apparently, they also tried to cut out all the Christian stuff from Wrinkle in Time. Now, I'm not Christian, and have no interest in Christian movies, but it sounds like they removed a fundamental part of the work.

I saw it tonight because my wife got free tickets. It's a pretty movie, but yeah they must have cut a lot out from the original story because there's not really much to it, there's about 30 minutes worth of plot stretched out to two hours.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Valerian is an example of a genuine anti-hero. This is why people frame their complaints as Valerian failing to meet some standard, like the usual suggestion that they should have cast someone with more "charisma". What they're saying is that they, as viewers, would accept Valerian being a bad person if he was "charming" enough. The secret to most anti-heroes is that they tend to satisfy viewers by providing some catharsis through transgression. But with Valerian they're forced to view the anti-hero objectively and see him for what he is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

For some reason a lot of people insist that "the movie" tried to convince them that Valerian was cool.

The truth is simply that the character if Valerian is uncool in a rather authentic and low-key way, and this bothers people to no end. They seem like they wanted another Star-Lord, a character who makea a big show about how uncool they are, even when they are the centre of attention, dominate the action, and demand the pity of the audience.

Yeah, nope, I read none of that at all. His character seemed very much of the "loose cannon that gets results" variety, but the actor playing him couldn't deliver on that. Do you suppose there's a reason "a lot of people insist" this thing that you disagree with?

Nah, that's crazy.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

raditts posted:

I saw it tonight because my wife got free tickets. It's a pretty movie, but yeah they must have cut a lot out from the original story because there's not really much to it, there's about 30 minutes worth of plot stretched out to two hours.

Nah, when I read the book (listened to) not long ago, when it was over I thought "is that it?"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rick posted:

I think 2049 is going to end up having a long tail but time will tell.

It is almost fitting that the sequel to Blade Runner underperformed just like Blade Runner.

I'm just glad it turned out to be a worthy sequel instead of a forgettable cash-in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

His character seemed very much of the "loose cannon that gets results" variety, but the actor playing him couldn't deliver on that. Do you suppose there's a reason "a lot of people insist" this thing that you disagree with?

I explained it two times. Valerian is an authentic anti-hero, and it bothers people to no end. This is why there's also complaints like this that he doesn't fit some archetype or trope: he seems to be a loose cannon, but he's not, and that's clearly a problem.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The later Wrinkle in Time books deffo have a more interesting scope but they also become basically incomprehensible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I explained it two times. Valerian is an authentic anti-hero, and it bothers people to no end. This is why there's also complaints like this that he doesn't fit some archetype or trope: he seems to be a loose cannon, but he's not, and that's clearly a problem.

Okay.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

The later Wrinkle in Time books deffo have a more interesting scope but they also become basically incomprehensible.

Where does the "time" part play into things, or the "wrinkle" part for that matter? I figured from the title that there would be time travel or something, but from what I could tell there was nothing remotely if the sort.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

Oh man, I thought it lost money with everyone talking about how poo poo it was doing.
It did lose money. Marketing costs haven’t been included in those figures.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Some movies are just bad, bro.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Doflamingo posted:

Some movies are just bad, bro.

The explanations offered for why it's were that that a character seems like they should fit an archetype, but doesn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's definitely a loose cannon. He spends the whole film breaking regulations and going in to situations he's either not supposed to go in, or going in on ways he's not supposed to, in order to 'but damnit get results.'

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

raditts posted:

Where does the "time" part play into things, or the "wrinkle" part for that matter? I figured from the title that there would be time travel or something, but from what I could tell there was nothing remotely if the sort.

The Wrinkle in Time refers to how they travel. They told space/time and step through. Like Dune or Event Horizon

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He's definitely a loose cannon. He spends the whole film breaking regulations and going in to situations he's either not supposed to go in, or going in on ways he's not supposed to, in order to 'but damnit get results.'

You seem to have confused bumbling with rebellion.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

'Thus preparing the children for permanent positions in tomorrow's mills and processing facilities'. I'm not sure if that has aged really poorly or hilariously well, given American public schools are basically structured to train children for factory jobs that no longer exist in the country.

On the Liefeld note, I felt that his success might have been almost accidental; he tapped into an aesthetic and zeitgeist that teenagers all over the country were ready for, and then the industry industry milked it to death (and their own death). Which also gave him so much popularity for his indulgent, low-effort work that he never had any further pressure to improve.

What I find somewhat irritating is the "subversive tone" in Deadpool is entirely a result of the writers and artists that saw what Liefield created, said gently caress THAT, and actually made something good with it. Joe Kelly, Fabian Nicieza, etc. They're the artists that should be getting their poo poo greenlighted, not a particularly dim 12 year old in a 50 year old body.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I dont get the Dune love. Essplain?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lol if you never wanted to get hosed up on spice beer and float through the air after pulling your boy toys' heart plug so he can die in your arms

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

The movie or the book?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing about Valerian is while the romantic aspect of it is kinda weak, in that sense it captures that Eurocomic feel of "just accept this as part of the story, they've got this relationship where they fight but they're gonna end up together, you know the drill." Like the big scene establishing all that is weak but the rest of the movie is fun goofy nonsense so it's hard to complain.

The actual anti-hero is a long standing Eurocomics tradition, how do you think Scrooge McDuck got so popular there? It's because he's a collossal rear end in a top hat. Where's my big budget Satanik picture.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

raditts posted:

Yeah, nope, I read none of that at all. His character seemed very much of the "loose cannon that gets results" variety, but the actor playing him couldn't deliver on that. Do you suppose there's a reason "a lot of people insist" this thing that you disagree with?

Nah, that's crazy.

Yeah, I actually think the performance of the actors is fine in the movie, but Dane DeHann totally misread the character of Valerian, if that makes sense. He should have played him as a Zapp Branigan or Jack Burton or even a sleazier James Bond. But DeHaan's characterization is entirely too wholesome and give Delevingne nothing to work with.

The scene with Valerian deciding what to do with the converter could work with a Valerian who is just too dumb to know what is right and wrong, and has to be told what to do from his more competent partner. Or it could work if he was just such a cad he didn't care what's right or wrong, he's just trying to hook up with Laureline. Instead it's the climax of a romantic plot of two characters who don't really even seem to like each other very much.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Gatts posted:

I don’t fully get it either. The book had a cool story and setting but was a slog to get through and I didn’t particularly like the way it was written.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

I'll go over Dune a few times over:

Dune the book is just a great loving work of fiction that sidelines nerd fetishism with things like plausible technobabble, weaponry, computers, and all that poo poo. Instead frank herbert made a universe where a war/rebellion against thinking machines already happened so long ago, the events therein have passed on into legend. Instead you have humans who use drugs to mimic the more advanced computations a society like ours would thoughtlessly defer to a computer. You have humans who give their lives and immerse themselves in another drug that mutates them into something that's basically not human anymore in the later stages of its development, that can, in a very limited way, see into the future and safely navigate the stars with a faster than light method of travel.

It's a book with feudal politics, explorations into the capabilities of the human mind, musings on what it is to be human, ecology. on a meta level it deconstructs narrative tropes common in all fiction like the heroes journey. it has things to say on religion, and sexual politics. It's overall unique in what it set out to do and is well written.

Can you tell I like Dune?

Anyway, the move, David Lynch's Dune, attempts to and does a solid job of adapting the language of the novel into the visual language of a film. It, with much broader strokes, tries to paint a similar picture to the book. Because of how naturally difficult dune is to adapt, in no small part due to how it was written, not so much the themes and events themselves, only the way the story is told, leaning heavily on internal monologues and passive voice. It has a lot of flaws, many of which I'm content to lay on the studio and the producers Laurentiis, more than on David Lynch, is still incredibly fun and interesting, and sure to cause a debate over whether it's a good movie or not (it is a good movie)

The mini-series is nearly slavish in its attempt to adapt certain elements of the book, while failing utterly in being a decent miniseries. The special effects are bad even for a tv movie of the time. The costume design is awful and uninspired, the acting is almost entirely terrible, but it does its best to follow the story, and arguably does a better job at this than Lynch's Dune.

Basically, Dune deserves love. There's nothing to 'get' beyond that. If you don't like that, that's okay. You're wrong, but you're allowed to be wrong.

Asnorban posted:

I don’t fully get it either. The book had a cool story and setting but was a slog to get through and I didn’t particularly like the way it was written.

loving nonsense.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
After being immersed in the movie growing up, I was amazed at how much I hated the second half of the book. Almost entirely due to Paul. I'm not sure I'll like a two film Dune from the standpoint of that character being the focus after becoming.

That's said, I totally hate multiple films made from one book so I read that news as a negative already. Where in the story can you break it in half and have a satisfying first movie?

But drat did I dislike everything about Paul in the latter half.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The problem with this is that Valerian and Laureline are too high ranked for this to apply to him. They don't act against authority, they are the authority for the duration of the crisis.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A Wrinkle in Time is the movie where Oprah goes Super Saiyan, right? I was curious about that.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A Wrinkle in Time is the movie where Oprah goes Super Saiyan, right? I was curious about that.

I believe that was The Color Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Gatts posted:

The movie or the planet?