Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Slovenia has Harvey Norman, so I look forward to Ikea moving in there and destroying them.

Anyone from Australia will understand the feelings of pure "Really? HERE?" that my husband and I both had when we're sitting at the McDonalds in Kopar waiting for our car pickup time and can see a fricking Harvey Norman store down the block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Pretty weird selection actually:

quote:

As of 30 June 2015, Harvey Norman Holdings' overseas operations (all conducted under the Harvey Norman brand) are in:

Ireland (12 stores)
Malaysia (14 stores)
New Zealand (36 stores)
Northern Ireland (2 stores)
Singapore (17 stores)
Slovenia (5 stores)
Croatia (2 stores)

How can there be 17 stores in Singapore alone? And in both parts of Ireland, but none in Great Britain proper? And how did they wind up in Slovenia and Croatia?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HookShot posted:

Slovenia has Harvey Norman, so I look forward to Ikea moving in there and destroying them.

Anyone from Australia will understand the feelings of pure "Really? HERE?" that my husband and I both had when we're sitting at the McDonalds in Kopar waiting for our car pickup time and can see a fricking Harvey Norman store down the block.

Really? There?

Or of curiosity, is the name easy to pronounce from a Slovenian perspective....?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have never even heard of Harvey Norman.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

He sounds like a jerk.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cat Mattress posted:

Power grid of the ENTSO-E, European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity.

What's with the power grid in Saudi Arabia that's not connected to anything else?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kassad posted:

What's with the power grid in Saudi Arabia that's not connected to anything else?

Appendicitis.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cat Mattress posted:

Power grid of the ENTSO-E, European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity.

Is this the thing that is letting the angry Serbs make everybody's clocks run wrong?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is this the thing that is letting the angry Serbs make everybody's clocks run wrong?

There's a really good "bombing begins in 5 minutes" joke here somewhere but I can't find it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

There's a really good "bombing begins in 5 minutes" joke here somewhere but I can't find it.

Look above.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

No I don't think appendicitis is it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

No I don't think appendicitis is it.

Something something NATO airplanes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He sounds like a jerk.

The Harvey part at least is very much a jerk.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Kassad posted:

Are you honestly unfamiliar with the Arabian Desert?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Imagine a Trump-owned, Australia-based Ikea

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kassad posted:

All roads pipes lead to Mecca.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Not pictured: Mecca

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Whiz Palace posted:

Not pictured: Mecca

True- it's a little inland from Jeddah and where the lines on the power map were running to.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Imagine a Trump-owned, Australia-based Ikea

But unlike Ikea their prices are way higher than everywhere else so Gerry Harvey whines about how foreigners and the internet are ruining his business.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

CaptainRightful posted:

It's not connected to the rest of these European power grids is what I meant.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kassad posted:

It's not connected to the rest of these European power grids is what I meant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

But unlike Ikea their prices are way higher than everywhere else so Gerry Harvey whines about how foreigners and the internet are ruining his business.
That's exactly what came to mind when I imagined a Trump-owned, Australia-based Ikea.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think they're just pointing out the map was called specifically a grid of European power supply

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, it's the map from the official site. Technically it also shows networks from other operators that are tightly interconnected, so it's really a combined ENTSO-E+Med-TSO map.

And then someone points out inevitably that Saudi Arabia is neither European nor Mediterranean.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Forget Saudi Arabia, what I want to know is what's with the one line directly connnecting Kars, Turkey to an unlabeled spot in Armenia. I didn't think anything crossed that border.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/the_sidecarist/status/971837724381638656

This offbeat part of town actually dates back to the 1890s, when the area below the river was first being developed. Two lawyers wanted to break away and establish a new town imaginatively called South Missoula, and began laying out a street plan that ran parallel to Bitterroot Wagon Road; unfortunately, the town's moneyed interests said "no dice," and surrounded their street plan with a grid that completely threw everything out of whack. Thus, Slant Streets was born.

As if that weren't enough, Missoula also developed numerous needlessly complicated intersections, the most heinous of which is a five-lane intersection appropriately nicknamed "Malfunction Junction."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The USA, where the 'offbeat' part of town still has a perfectly geometric layout

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Top Tip: If you throw spaghetti at the wall and it sticks, you've designed a European city layout.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The offbeat part is better because it doesn't have one the grid axes being straight east-west, ie, gently caress you if you commute the wrong way during sunrise/sunset.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Technocrat posted:

This offbeat part of town actually dates back to the 1890s, when the area below the river was first being developed. Two lawyers wanted to break away and establish a new town imaginatively called South Missoula, and began laying out a street plan that ran parallel to Bitterroot Wagon Road; unfortunately, the town's moneyed interests said "no dice," and surrounded their street plan with a grid that completely threw everything out of whack. Thus, Slant Streets was born.

As if that weren't enough, Missoula also developed numerous needlessly complicated intersections, the most heinous of which is a five-lane intersection appropriately nicknamed "Malfunction Junction."

That is great. It way outdoes the thing where someone decided to mess with L'Enfant's OCD at the edges of his plan for DC.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Technocrat posted:

Holy poo poo... things I never thought I'd see in America - gun control.... and round-abouts

I found an article that named the malfunction junction....

Yeah... that needs a round-about too. You've got one... might as well joint the rest of the free world and make it a thing... then you can tackle the metric system!!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Cable Guy posted:

Holy poo poo... things I never thought I'd see in America - gun control.... and round-abouts

I found an article that named the malfunction junction....

Yeah... that needs a round-about too. You've got one... might as well joint the rest of the free world and make it a thing... then you can tackle the metric system!!

"Roundabouts" used to be a major thing in NJ at least but we've actually gotten rid of the vast majority of them in favor of a safer alternative - the jug handle.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My area is screwy like that too:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.3149895,-123.0678452,2789m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you go up the main drag, it goes from 6th street to 11th because of this.

Plus there's a small native reserve just north of the marina which just put roads wherever the gently caress they wanted (left side).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Diqnol posted:

"Roundabouts" used to be a major thing in NJ at least but we've actually gotten rid of the vast majority of them in favor of a safer alternative - the jug handle.

North Carolina has a lot of "traffic circles" too (at least for America). It's a nice idea, but when they're as rare as they are, no one seems to have any idea wtf to do when they get to them.

What's also awful is: France. Some years ago they switched nearly all roundabouts so that the person inside the roundabout has right of way, but there are still some old drivers who, somehow, never figured out that the law changed. I have no idea how someone who thinks that hasn't gotten in 500 accidents by now, but I've seen it occasionally.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Saladman posted:

North Carolina has a lot of "traffic circles" too (at least for America). It's a nice idea, but when they're as rare as they are, no one seems to have any idea wtf to do when they get to them.

We've got a few in Northeast Ohio (around Akron), and yeah, people don't get it. There are still plenty of those who still treat it as a full stop, even without a sign present. Maddening.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Returning to DC, it has a lot of circles, but they're not purpose-designed traffic roundabouts at all. L'Enfant designed the intersections of the city's diagonal boulevards to be squares to act as community nodes where people/lawmakers from around the country would cluster together, say New Yorkers all near one, South Carolinians another, etc. That didn't quite happen and most (but not all) squares were long-ago rounded to improve flow, but they are sure enough neighborhood nodes.

As traffic goes, they're a bit over-complicated to be effective.

Since they are set at intersections of major roads you have a lot of traffic to route through them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Boston is probably lowhanging fruit for bad street design but I can't get over this dumbass street that is only 1km long, creates TWO separate 6-way intersections, and then just merges back into an east-west avenue

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there a Starbucks inside the EU delegation building in DC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cable Guy posted:

There's a bunch of round-abouts in Massachusetts.