Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
So I told a site to never ask to remember my password, and I've changed my mind. How can I reverse that and store that PW in the PW manager? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Caganer posted:

So I told a site to never ask to remember my password, and I've changed my mind. How can I reverse that and store that PW in the PW manager? :(

Preferences > Privacy & Security > Browser Privacy > Forms & Passwords > Exceptions...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Caganer posted:

Get keepass

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
If the password is important enough to be remembered in the browser, then it is important enough to just be 1234. Anything more needs keepass .

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

iospace posted:

Get keepass

I do but I keep my low value stuff in the browser manager.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Volguus posted:

If the password is important enough to be remembered in the browser, then it is important enough to just be 1234. Anything more needs keepass .

Is Keepass the new password manager of choice? I can't recall which one had the major break-in a year or so back.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Is Keepass the new password manager of choice? I can't recall which one had the major break-in a year or so back.

Keepass is great if you have a high tolerance for terrible UX.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Keepass is great if you have a high tolerance for terrible UX.

What's so terrible about it? It has a tree of categories and for each a list of credentials. Buttons on a toolbar to add/update/delete said credentials. Pretty much the only things needed. How else would one make the UI to present/manipulate this info?
Oh, I know, an Electron app

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Volguus posted:

Oh, I know, an Electron app
If a password manager uses less than a gig of ram, I don't trust it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's a lot of things I tinker with and self-admin but 1password is something I gladly pay the asking price for.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a good comprehensive comparison of the big-name password managers? I know I've seen a lot of back and forth on the forums about which this or that one being more or less secure/convenient/whatever than the others, but I can't recall the specifics and could use a good side-by-side breakdown.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Is there a good comprehensive comparison of the big-name password managers? I know I've seen a lot of back and forth on the forums about which this or that one being more or less secure/convenient/whatever than the others, but I can't recall the specifics and could use a good side-by-side breakdown.

Some are in the cloud and you pay for them (1pass, lastpass), some are applications running on your computer and are free (keepass). Personally I do not see the value of a cloud-based password manager, therefore even the low price of 1pass is not something that I care to pay. Keepass works for me just fine. And yes, that means that I cannot use various services where I have accounts from my phone and that is perfectly ok (desirable) for me.

That's the extent of my knowledge.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Volguus posted:

Some are in the cloud and you pay for them (1pass, lastpass), some are applications running on your computer and are free (keepass). Personally I do not see the value of a cloud-based password manager, therefore even the low price of 1pass is not something that I care to pay. Keepass works for me just fine. And yes, that means that I cannot use various services where I have accounts from my phone and that is perfectly ok (desirable) for me.
There are iOS and Android KeePass clients, and most of them support Dropbox integration. Works great.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Volguus posted:

What's so terrible about it? It has a tree of categories and for each a list of credentials. Buttons on a toolbar to add/update/delete said credentials. Pretty much the only things needed. How else would one make the UI to present/manipulate this info?

Auto-type is probably the most glaring issue. It's really loving bad, and one of the reasons a lot of password managers have browser plugins (KeePass has some third-party ones, but none are all that great from what I've seen). Related to this, the fact that you can only have a single URL makes it harder for browser plugins to have good autofill (mainly, the problem here is SSO logins).

A lot of the features are really obtuse too. For example, did you know that you can set tags on entries? You probably didn't unless you looked at all the submenus in an entry's context menu.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah, KeePass has clients for pretty much any device. It has browser integration addons if you care for that thing, AND there is even a project that lets you access your database through a web browser so you can toss it on a VPS if you want (and it is electron based too so you can have your fancy RAM sucking electron version).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Avenging Dentist posted:

Related to this, the fact that you can only have a single URL makes it harder for browser plugins to have good autofill (mainly, the problem here is SSO logins).

Kee for Firefox allows multiple matched URLs.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Volguus posted:

That's the extent of my knowledge.

1Password used to offer both the subscription model and a one-time purchase, but I'm not sure if the latter exists anymore. However, you can also keep your passwords locally and sync without using their cloud service if you want. I bought it before they went subscription, so it's completely understandable if that's a deal-breaker. But it does give you full access to their apps on all supported platforms.

The difference between them and Lastpass is that Lastpass has been hacked repeatedly.

KeePass is perfectly fine as a free option -- its interface is just really open source, and the mobile apps are all maintained by third parties, so it's harder to judge whether they're really "secure" or not. But it's hard to beat the price!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Auto-type is probably the most glaring issue. It's really loving bad, and one of the reasons a lot of password managers have browser plugins (KeePass has some third-party ones, but none are all that great from what I've seen). Related to this, the fact that you can only have a single URL makes it harder for browser plugins to have good autofill (mainly, the problem here is SSO logins).

A lot of the features are really obtuse too. For example, did you know that you can set tags on entries? You probably didn't unless you looked at all the submenus in an entry's context menu.
These are not features that I personally use nor features that I would look for in a password manager. The simpler, the better. Every single feature in a program is a potential security vector, therefore a password manager should have very few "features". Do one thing and do it well.

But if these are things that you (or anyone) appreciates (browser integration, dropbox synchronization, etc.) then I can see why 1pass' low cost subscription may be appealing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Volguus posted:

These are not features that I personally use nor features that I would look for in a password manager. The simpler, the better. Every single feature in a program is a potential security vector, therefore a password manager should have very few "features". Do one thing and do it well.

I'm not sure how "KeePass has a bunch of features I don't use/want" and "Security-critical programs should be minimalist" mesh together, but ok. :shrug:

(I use KeePass too but that's more because the alternatives either cost money, don't have a decent Windows + Linux experience, or are even shittier than KeePass.)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm not sure how "KeePass has a bunch of features I don't use/want" and "Security-critical programs should be minimalist" mesh together, but ok. :shrug:

(I use KeePass too but that's more because the alternatives either cost money, don't have a decent Windows + Linux experience, or are even shittier than KeePass.)

I don't like that it has the feature, but I hope that if I don't use it it won't bite me in the rear end. Can be just wishful thinking, but I haven't found a password manager that just works, no fuss about it.This one works in all the Operating systems that I use.
But yes I wished it was simpler.

I am very interested in using something else though. Not married with keepass by any means.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 6, 2018

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm very happy with Enpass. It doesn't look like poo poo, you can store your passwords on any cloud service you want (including OwnCloud if you want), it's free except for 10 dollars per mobile platform once. Supports basically all major desktop and mobile systems and browsers. Used Lastpass before, but the one hack and the price increase was too much for me.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
All the infosec blogs I read seem to recommend Dashlane for "normal" users AKA folks like my dad who despite my handholding him through setting up Keepass synced through his Google Drive can't even remember how to use the password generate function in the android app.

That said, yeah I'd say if you're a poweruser, Keepass if you're paranoid/cheap/very responsible, 1Password if you want your password to Just Work.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If you want to go the open source full beard route, check out pass.

https://www.passwordstore.org

There's a number of decent desktop GUIs, mobile apps, and browser extensions. Encrypts with your own keys, can sync over git. 1password has spoiled me too much to use anything lesser, but it's probably what I'd reach for first besides it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nowadays I print out my passwords onto card stock and stick them in my password rolodex. It works surprisingly well, but it helps to be a fast typist. Also, old.

My old way was just to put everything into text files in an encrypted folder and copy/paste the username/password into Firefox.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

All the infosec blogs I read seem to recommend Dashlane for "normal" users AKA folks like my dad who despite my handholding him through setting up Keepass synced through his Google Drive can't even remember how to use the password generate function in the android app.

That said, yeah I'd say if you're a poweruser, Keepass if you're paranoid/cheap/very responsible, 1Password if you want your password to Just Work.

Stupid question: how common are password generators? Does 1Password have that capability?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Fun little fact, if you mash your keyboard a couple times, it generates a password. Requires a keyboard though. :(

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Stupid question: how common are password generators? Does 1Password have that capability?

1password does it, safari does it as well

if you have all apple devices it's really hard to beat safari for a seamless solution that *just werks*

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Im_Special posted:

Fun little fact, if you mash your keyboard a couple times, it generates a password. Requires a keyboard though. :(

Don’t do this for serious passwords. There’s not actually that much entropy when you mash a keyboard. Just use a password generator instead.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Mozilla finally going down the route to add GPO support to FireFox: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/01/11/announcing-esr60-policy-engine/

They are starting with a platform-agnostic and deployable JSON file, once all settings are supported via this method they will start making them changeable via GPO.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Milkman posted:

If you want to go the open source full beard route, check out pass.

https://www.passwordstore.org

There's a number of decent desktop GUIs, mobile apps, and browser extensions. Encrypts with your own keys, can sync over git. 1password has spoiled me too much to use anything lesser, but it's probably what I'd reach for first besides it.

another full-beard (heh) option is Password Safe. It works well if you sync the encrypted data-store with dropbox/icloud/onedrive. https://pwsafe.org/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
KeePass is open source too. It's a "full beard" as much as those are.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I finally got Kee setup with gdrive. Well, mostly. Need to get it working on my laptop (I have it installed, but not the plugin).

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

stevewm posted:

Mozilla finally going down the route to add GPO support to FireFox: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2018/01/11/announcing-esr60-policy-engine/

They are starting with a platform-agnostic and deployable JSON file, once all settings are supported via this method they will start making them changeable via GPO.
Sweet, we use Firefox at my place and this'll help a lot.

Of course, the majority of our PCs are stuck on an ancient version because of a "mission critical" NPAPI plugin, but by the time that dies out they'll hopefully have the GPO kinks worked out.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Why has Firefox 58 become such a memory hog? It sometimes gets to a point that I have to close it and restart.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
a) lovely computer.
b) To many lovely add-ons.
c) Visit lovely sites like facebook.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why has Firefox 58 become such a memory hog? It sometimes gets to a point that I have to close it and restart.

If you habitually leave sites open in background tabs you can try reloading them. I've found that some sites will just bloat over time (Javascript fuckery?) and a refresh frees up an easy three gigs after some disk churn while FF pulls the cache to dump it on my tablet that only has 8gb RAM.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm in the b) category, but I don't mind restarting my browser once a week if it means I can use it without the mouse.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Im_Special posted:

a) lovely computer.
b) To many lovely add-ons.
c) Visit lovely sites like facebook.

Well, gently caress you very much.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

isndl posted:

If you habitually leave sites open in background tabs you can try reloading them. I've found that some sites will just bloat over time (Javascript fuckery?) and a refresh frees up an easy three gigs after some disk churn while FF pulls the cache to dump it on my tablet that only has 8gb RAM.

I rarely have more than one tab open at a time. Version 57 was fine and gave me no trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I leave sets of tabs open for days before I get around to reading them. Rarely have less than 6-7 open at any time. Some are paused youtube videos, some are content heavy in other ways. I restart my browser maybe once every two weeks. I have ublock, html 5 autoplay blocker and google translate plugins, which can sometimes cause problems, but for the most part my 8 gigs of RAM are 60-80% used and everything is ticking over very nicely. Don't think I've ever had such a stable, well running laptop and browsing experience.