Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
After doing the 15/10/10 lighting method, the shoulder is on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

VERTiG0 posted:

Looks like it is in jail.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Haha. Those are the hanging bars in the Pit Barrel Cooker. I never hang butts though, no benefit since I've only got the one in there. The bars have to be put in place anyway, though, for air flow purposes.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

Do the amazingribs.com normal bacon. It's incredible. I've probably done 30lbs of that stuff over the past year (gave much of it away too since people kept asking me for it).

I used this recipe, but next time I'm going to try the amazingribs one.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/making-bacon-using-pork-belly.html

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

VERTiG0 posted:

What's the 15/10/10? I have a PBC and don't know this. Am I missing out on some extra good starting method? Also now I really want some pork.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Here’s my two racks of spare ribs, rubbed and about to go on. I will probably cook these a bit hotter to finish them by dinner time, but oh well. They get sauced, and will be delicious.

http://imgur.com/a/sanUE

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Brined and smoked a whole chicken and it turned out great. The house smells amazing. Brined for 12 hours, rubbed chicken, then smoked for 5 hours at 225. It was super juicy.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 10, 2018

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Good poo poo happening these last posts

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

Do the amazingribs.com normal bacon. It's incredible. I've probably done 30lbs of that stuff over the past year (gave much of it away too since people kept asking me for it).

I’ll give that one some consideration. As far as I can tell, the two recipes are exactly the same, except the regular one uses 6 tablespoons of dark brown sugar, and the other one uses 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar plus half a cup of maple syrup.

I might replace the water with bourbon and add a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder, and fresh thyme unless someone tells me it’s a bad idea. I know I don’t have to do that, but I like the idea of making bacon with bourbon because bourbon gently caress yeah. :dukedog:

Also I’m gonna post lots and lots of pics because I really wanna figure out why my smoke was white last time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’ll give that one some consideration. As far as I can tell, the two recipes are exactly the same, except the regular one uses 6 tablespoons of dark brown sugar, and the other one uses 3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar plus half a cup of maple syrup.

I might replace the water with bourbon and add a little bit of garlic powder, onion powder, and fresh thyme unless someone tells me it’s a bad idea. I know I don’t have to do that, but I like the idea of making bacon with bourbon because bourbon gently caress yeah. :dukedog:

Also I’m gonna post lots and lots of pics because I really wanna figure out why my smoke was white last time.

I'd say stick to the recipe for your first one but I know what you'll do anyway. :v:

10 lb brisket put in around 8-9pm last night, so it's been about 20 hours now (no crutch) and we're sitting at 194. My smoker always seems to take forever so I might have to look into other probes or something in case they're not accurate. I've been placing the one for the temp inside on the same rack/level near the meat since I figure that's most accurate. Should it be somewhere else? I know there are variances inside most likely but I don't know which would be more trustworthy.

Hurry up and cook so you can get in my belly. :yum:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just ordered the Prague Powder #1 off Amazon. I used the link on the AmazingRibs website. Shipping was 10 bucks and it won’t be here until Wednesday or Thursday. :bang:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
So in the almost expired (read: aged) discounted meat case I picked up a 1 pound 1 1/2" thick prime grade prime rib steak. chucked kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on it and shoved it into the fridge. I've never made prime rib as a steak, but rather as a roast. Do the steaks do well as a steak on a super-hot grill akin to a ribeye, or should I slow it?

Edit: Is a prime rib steak the same thing as a ribeye?

It's not remotely lean:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 10, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

arisu posted:

I get my bonus tomorrow. My company did real good last year so most people are expecting it to be in the ballpark of 2 months of pay.

I am going to have to fight real hard to not instantly drop six or seven bills on a pellet smoker as soon as that hits my bank account.

I was pretty impressed with my bosses. I say go for it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

My understanding is that if you say prime rib steak it should include the bone and if you say ribeye it shouldn't, but it's the same part of the animal.

I also get in a lot of arguments with (lovely grocery store) butchers though, so I could be wrong (London broil isn't a cut of beef you fuckers!)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

I'd say stick to the recipe for your first one but I know what you'll do anyway. :v:

10 lb brisket put in around 8-9pm last night, so it's been about 20 hours now (no crutch) and we're sitting at 194. My smoker always seems to take forever so I might have to look into other probes or something in case they're not accurate. I've been placing the one for the temp inside on the same rack/level near the meat since I figure that's most accurate. Should it be somewhere else? I know there are variances inside most likely but I don't know which would be more trustworthy.

Seems long to me too. That's the right place to put it though.

I'd used a variety of probes that all seemed to be about the same (iGrill, Maverick, Thermoworks) but lately I've been using the FlameBoss probes that also control the grill temp and it seems like they're taking considerably longer so I think they're reading a bit high. It alligator clips directly to the grate rather than being suspended above it by a separate clip, or it could just be that it reads high regardless. My last cook I bumped it from 225 to 250 and it seemed to bring it back in line. May try 240 next time.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Veritek83 posted:

What's the 15/10/10? I have a PBC and don't know this. Am I missing out on some extra good starting method? Also now I really want some pork.

Pack your charcoal basket full, remove 40 coals to a chimney starter, light and let sit for 15 minutes (or until the tops are ashed over, usually takes 15 mins).

Pour the lit coals into the basket and place into the PBC. Let it run for 10 minutes with the lid off.

Put the lid on but leave the rebar out, let sit for another 10 minutes.

Now you're ready to rock! Hang/grate the meat, throw your wood chunks in if using (some people say to do the chunks at the beginning of the final 10 minute stage but I have found no difference having done both multiple times).

This all ensures you have a good burn started when you put the meat in the PBC. It has never failed me even when I put two butts in there. In the past I've had the drippings put the coals out.

Hasselblad posted:

So in the almost expired (read: aged) discounted meat case I picked up a 1 pound 1 1/2" thick prime grade prime rib steak. chucked kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on it and shoved it into the fridge. I've never made prime rib as a steak, but rather as a roast. Do the steaks do well as a steak on a super-hot grill akin to a ribeye, or should I slow it?

It's not remotely lean:

Rib steaks, like all steaks, are best done ultra hot and fast. Prime rib steak and ribeye are the same cut of beef but a ribeye has no bone and typically the cap (spinalis dorsi) is removed. They are not supposed to be lean, they're among the fattiest cuts of beef. This makes them the most delicious cut by far.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 11, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

It's not remotely lean:

Smoke it until it's about 125 then finish it with direct heat.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

VERTiG0 posted:

Pack your charcoal basket full, remove 40 coals to a chimney starter, light and let sit for 15 minutes (or until the tops are ashed over, usually takes 15 mins).

Pour the lit coals into the basket and place into the PBC. Let it run for 10 minutes with the lid off.

Put the lid on but leave the rebar out, let sit for another 10 minutes.

Now you're ready to rock! Hang/grate the meat, throw your wood chunks in if using (some people say to do the chunks at the beginning of the final 10 minute stage but I have found no difference having done both multiple times).

Ah, great. That's more or less how I do it, hadn't heard it described that way I don't think.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
All finished. Meat was a bit tough, but the flavor was excellent. I should have sauced less, too.

https://imgur.com/a/MAbiY

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

veiled boner fuel posted:

My understanding is that if you say prime rib steak it should include the bone and if you say ribeye it shouldn't, but it's the same part of the animal.

I also get in a lot of arguments with (lovely grocery store) butchers though, so I could be wrong (London broil isn't a cut of beef you fuckers!)

Well it is definitely boneless.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

No pics but brisket was good. It got a little dry towards the thin side but the middle that was moist was amazing as usual. I've still never injected, though I might try a bit next time or not cook it to 203. I could only let it rest for ~1 hr since my cooks always take too drat long. I pulled it after 22 hours and upped the temp to 240ish for the last couple.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

I just ordered the Prague Powder #1 off Amazon. I used the link on the AmazingRibs website. Shipping was 10 bucks and it won’t be here until Wednesday or Thursday. :bang:

I'm confused why your parents will allow you to buy Prague Powder #1 and a slab of pork belly, but not a pork shoulder.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

veiled boner fuel posted:

I'm amazed anymore how many cuts use so many different names. Then of course you have the Delmonico steak which is a mystery on what it should be.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would anyone mind if I do a dry run in the Egg before I smoke the bacon and post pics of it, to find out why my smoke was white last time instead of blue? I wanna do this bacon right, and white smoke is an issue I’ve had a lot in the past.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Dude nobody cares

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I CARE! :mad:

This thread is normally a good resource for help, and I’m planning to post a lot of pics when I do the bacon.

I’m also trying to decide whether to smoke the bacon with hickory or apple wood, or a mix of both. I’m kinda leaning toward a mix, but I’m open to comments and suggestions.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Just do what you want, don't ask permission.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EngineerJoe posted:

Just do what you want, don't ask permission.

Good enough for me!

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I CARE! :mad:

This thread is normally a good resource for help, and I’m planning to post a lot of pics when I do the bacon.

I’m also trying to decide whether to smoke the bacon with hickory or apple wood, or a mix of both. I’m kinda leaning toward a mix, but I’m open to comments and suggestions.

Mix should be good. I like to grab the twigs around my yard and throw them in there too. Really changes it up.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Is the bacon in the brine yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fog Tripper posted:

Is the bacon in the brine yet?

I’m still waiting for the pink curing salt to be delivered. It should be here tomorrow or the next day.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I’m still waiting for the pink curing salt to be delivered. It should be here tomorrow or the next day.

Hope it's not raining. You might not get it till next week!

Also, it typically takes a week or more to cure pork belly.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just throw it in a garbage bag with all the spices and leave it in your garage. It will be fine.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I haven't done beef in quite a while on any of my cookers. It's time to do a brisket or chuck roast this weekend.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

McSpankWich posted:

Just throw it in a garbage bag with all the spices and leave it in your garage. It will be fine.

Speed brine!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Anyone ever try smoking with sprigs of rosemary? Just throwing a couple of sprigs on hot coals would get a short burst of smoke. Not too overpowering?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone ever try smoking with sprigs of rosemary? Just throwing a couple of sprigs on hot coals would get a short burst of smoke. Not too overpowering?

I haven't in the smoker but I use fresh rosemary on my steaks and potatoes on the grill a lot during the summer when I have a bunch in the garden. Not really sure how much smoke flavor it adds but it tastes good when it gets charred on the food.

Edit: If you don't grow rosemary you should. It comes back every year and a single plant gives you a LOT of fresh rosemary. That and chives are my main two that I grow every year. If you don't have a garden just get a small/medium planter pot and do it that way.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 15, 2018

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Welp just bit the bullet and ordered myself a Camp Chef pellet smoker.

Found this awesome guy at Walmart for $344. Amazon had the next model up on sale for $500, but I can live without the digital display and probe slot. My wireless thermometer is still working fine!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camp-Chef-Smoke-Pro-SE-Pellet-Grill/54189385

Can't wait to break it in!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Goddamn that is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
9lb brisket in the Pit Barrel Cooker today with lump charcoal as a "why the gently caress not" experiment. Excuse the absolutely terrible photo.

Also after nearly 4 years of heavy abuse my Maverick ET-733 is finally loving up and the meat probe is reading 30 degrees higher than my known-accurate Thermapen Mk3. Time for a new probe I think.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 17, 2018