Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Is this crash people realizing how thinly traded the market is or is it because of regulation?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dmitri-9 posted:

Is this crash people realizing how thinly traded the market is or is it because of regulation?

That and, perhaps, the slowly dawning realisation that it's terrible as a currency.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is the market getting crashed by just selling 1,000 BTC? Couldn't the Mt Gox people do that 300 times?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Anything that happens to the market is a result of everything happening at once and the biggest catalyst may only be evident later. Particularly when you're trying to predict human stupidity. The most obvious recent cause (SEC regulations) might not be the reason idiots decided to sell now (as opposed to all the good reasons to sell at any time).

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Is the market getting crashed by just selling 1,000 BTC? Couldn't the Mt Gox people do that 300 times?

https://i.imgur.com/8AS5jPe.mp4

Lol, yup.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgoxinsolvency/comments/82ykgu/re_the_dumpening/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the currency of the future where you're supposed to hold on to it forever and never exchange it for anything

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

comedyblissoption posted:

the currency of the future where you're supposed to hold on to it forever and never can't exchange it for anything

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

comedyblissoption posted:

the currency of the future where you're supposed to hold on to it forever and never exchange it for anything

Honestly yes, this is the biggest mistake of crypto bros. I mean Steam was accepting them, Microsoft, a couple of other sites. That’s a small victory for adoption, even if the system was full of flaws.

But then everyone decided it would increase in value for no reason, and turns out it’s a slow system, prone to hacks, and so on.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

all of that mxgoxinsolvency subreddit is funny

quote:

What the gently caress is going on with the trustee?

I want to cry, what a total idiot. He could sell this outside the market. Seriously how do I know that he is not shorting and buying it back? Who controls this loving monkey? Why he is trading our BTC and BCH, what the gently caress. That's beyond insanity. Markets hate uncertainty, who gonna buy bitcoin if some loving idiot lawyer sitting in the office in Japan and can any time at his will drop next thousands of BTC in no time. I am angry I've been hosed twice by this poo poo.

quote:

Corruption..this is why we want decentralisation

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
can't believe this, this guy, sitting in Japan, is doing this.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

mark karpeles lost weight

he used to look like ted cruz's neck fat, now he just looks like marco rubio

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Uranium 235 posted:

mark karpeles lost weight

he used to look like ted cruz's neck fat, now he just looks like marco rubio

He went on a diet.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Inept posted:

quote:

Corruption..this is why we want decentralisation
:vince:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inept posted:

Lmao

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

EorayMel posted:

He went on a diet.

He didn't have a choice since he was in Japanese jail.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

I don't know Japanese law, but in the US and UK the trustee's fiduciary duty requires them to maximize the value of the estate only to the extent necessary to make the creditors whole. They have no duty to maximize the value of the estate overall, and they owe absolutely no duty to the market.

quote:

"extent necessary to make the creditors whole"

Creditors will never be made whole at this point. Most of us want our Bitcoin back, not fiat.

What is your interest in this case? Are you even a creditor?

fithly gaijin fiat

these idiots are experiencing a miracle where they will actually be made whole in bankruptcy and now their greedy asses are complaining that they can't get their bitcoins back, ignoring that that would be completely impossible because the bitcoins are gone you dipshits

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just hold onto it!!!! Let me put your investment in different terms…

Your invested in bitcoin, the first cryptocurrency ever! The most secure investment since it’s creation!

Bitcoin is basically a bank account. Do you know how many people around the globe don’t have access to a bank? 5+billion

Do you know what’s going to happen when billions of people try to get a piece of a bitcoin with only a few million in circulation?

It already has a global presence.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Number go up?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Someone posted this in the zaurg thread

https://twitter.com/xsimonb/status/971308610616807425

This moron has $100k in computer parts sitting on some wire shelving from walmart, and when asked where he got his power supplies

quote:

Unbranded 2400w PSUs. I got them from Ali Baba for $135. They are sold out now. They're great, but noisy.

:tif:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Inept posted:

This moron has $100k in computer parts sitting on some wire shelving from walmart, and when asked where he got his power supplies

Those center cards are gonna roast so fast.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I miss the tether printer :(

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/APompliano/status/972189332437127170

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I almost started mining years ago but I also laughed at Netflix so don't listen to me.

I had Beenz and Flooz too up until the services ended

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Bobcats posted:

I think you're just making up nonsense words now

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bobcats posted:

I almost started mining years ago but I also laughed at Netflix so don't listen to me.

I feel like if this was me I would never admit it to anyone. It I also have some shame.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Inept posted:

:laffo:

your whole house is gonna burn down before you even have time to wake up idiot

There Bias Two posted:

Those center cards are gonna roast so fast.

no kidding, that thing's gotta be hot enough to fry an egg at the middle

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bobcats posted:

Beenz and Flooz are hilarious in how caught up they were in a token economy that when a couple guys came around and said "what if money on the internet was, get this, money" they made enough money to launch rockets and be a literal vampire.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if you could buy your way into being a literal vampire i would probably be motivated to make way more money

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inept posted:

LOL

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Gonna literally burn 100k in computer parts

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Some people have money credit to burn

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/09/bitcoin-mining-energy-prices-smalltown-feature-217230

quote:

This Is What Happens When Bitcoin Miners Take Over Your Town
Eastern Washington had cheap power and tons of space. Then the suitcases of cash started arriving.

quote:

Of course, by the end of 2017, the players who were pouring into the basin weren’t interested in building 5-megawatt mines. According to Carlson, mining has now reached the stage where the minimum size for a new commercial mine, given the high levels of difficulty, will soon be 50 megawatts, enough for around 22,000 homes and bigger than one of Amazon Web Services’ immense data centers. Miehe, who has become a kind of broker for out-of-town miners and investors, was fielding calls and emails from much larger players. There were calls from China, where a recent government crackdown on cryptocurrency has miners trying to move operations as large as 200 megawatts to safer ground. And there was a flood of interest from players outside the sector, including big institutional investors from Wall Street, Miami, the Middle East, Europe and Japan, all eager to get in on a commodity that some believe could touch $100,000 by the end of the year. And not all the interest has been so civil. Stories abound of bitcoin miners using hardball tactics to get their mines up and running. Carlson, for example, says some foreign miners tried to bribe building and safety inspectors to let them cut corners on construction. “They are bringing suitcases full of cash,” Carlson says, adding that such ploys invariably backfire. Adds Miehe, “I mean, you know how they talk about the animal spirits—greed and fear? Well, right now, everyone is in full-greed mode.”

lol

quote:

“It’s just basically free money,” Benny says. “All I have to do is wake up in the morning and make sure nothing crashed during the night.”

quote:

In the zero-sum game that cryptocurrency has become, one man’s free money is another man’s headache. In the Mid-Columbia Basin, the latter category includes John Stoll, who oversees Chelan County Public Utility District’s maintenance crews. Stoll regards people like Benny as “rogue operators,” the utility’s term for small players who mine without getting proper permits and equipment upgrades, and whose numbers have soared in the past 12 months. Though only a fraction of the size of their commercial peers, these operators can still overwhelm residential electric grids. In extreme cases, insulation can melt off wires. Transformers will overheat. In one instance last year, the utility says, a miner overloaded a transformer and caused a brush fire.

In parts of the basin, utility crews now actively hunt unpermitted miners, in a manner not unlike the way police look for indoor cannabis farms. The biggest giveaway, Stoll says, is a sustained jump in power use. But crews have learned to look, and listen, for other telltales, such as “fans that are exhausting out of the garage or a bedroom.” In any given week, the utility flushes out two to five suspected miners, Stoll says. Some come clean. They pay for permits and the often-substantial wiring upgrades, or they quit. But others quietly move their servers to another residential location and plug back in. “It’s a bit of a cat-and-mouse game,” Stoll admits.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are those neo-kulaks?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My hate of bitcoin miners grows by the day. What a loving waste of electricity

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

European consumer protection mandates a 30 day return period for most internet purchases. So now these dipshits are buying video cards and returning them for a full refund. People like this will end up ruining a good thing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Refried Noodle posted:

European consumer protection mandates a 30 day return period for most internet purchases. So now these dipshits are buying video cards and returning them for a full refund. People like this will end up ruining a good thing.

14 days.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Bobcats posted:

You know its 90's or early 2000s company if it ended in Z

Just like you know if its late 2000's when they put a number into the title and pretend its a letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

It's been so long since I've read the words 'store of value'