Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Advancing the timeline a hundred years to try to clear the board and throw out a lot of what people knew about the setting so it would fit the points of light theme better seems more significant than killing a few gods in the time of troubles, which they also did this time, even if they found ways to bring back the popular characters eventually because they didn't want to live with the changes that were forced on them in the first place (and which they obviously undid going into 5e).

Yeah, the Spellplague was far more deleterious to the Realms than pretty much any other RSE. The one hundred years was most of it, because that means a lot of Ed's world is dead and buried by time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

ALWAYS AVAILABLE ABILITIES

Cleave: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, a creature or object you choose within five feet of the target that you attacked also takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Reaping Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it misses, you deal damage equal to half your Strength modifier. If you're using a weapon with the two-handed property, you instead deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Sure Strike: Make a melee weapon attack with Advantage. Do not add your Strength modifier to the damage of this attack.

Tide of Iron: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, your target is pushed back 5 feet. You can move into the space that the target was pushed out of, if you like.

ABILITIES USABLE ONCE EVERY BREAK TIME

Covering Attack: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice an additional time and add the result to your damage, and any ally of yours that is adjacent to the target may immediately move 10 feet.

Passing Attack: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, you may immediately move 5 feet. Whether or not you move, you can also make an additional melee attack with Advantage against a different creature of your choice.

Spinning Sweep: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, the target is also knocked prone.

Steel Serpent Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice an additional time and add the result to your damage. Also, the target's speed is reduced by half and it cannot use the Disengage action until the end of your next turn.

ABILITIES USABLE ONCE PER DAY

Brute Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice two additional times and add the result to your damage. If it misses, you can still use this attack again.

Comeback Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice an additional time and add the result to your damage. Also, you regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level.

Villain’s Menace: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice an additional time and add the result to your damage. Whether or not it hits, all of your melee weapon attacks against this same target from then on will have Advantage.

Are you telling me that 4e would have been better had the abilities been written out like this?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

No, you're just regurgitating the same dumb bullshit from 10 years ago then acting like everyone's being unreasonably mean to you when they don't decide to give it a fair shake this time. Nobody here is impressed in the eleventy millionth "I never played [GAME], but let me give you my personal hot takes on it."

I said multiple times that the game may be amazing, but my first impression was that it wasn't D&D. Maybe that first impression was bad and wrong, but the edition objectively turned off enough of the fanbase that they massively walked it back for 5e, so a lot of people seem to have shared it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the Spellplague was far more deleterious to the Realms than pretty much any other RSE. The one hundred years was most of it, because that means a lot of Ed's world is dead and buried by time.

the spellplague was the only interesting bit of FR i've ever read

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Elfgames posted:

Probably a good sign that you're looking for something different from the setting than the people who actually like it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's very easy to take 3e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, 5e, or whatever other D&D chassis you want and fix the LFQW problem: give fighters and rogues increasing amounts of per-day abilities that are comparable in power to spells of the same level. You don't have to touch existing casters at all - just make everyone quadratic.

The problem is, fans of those games actually and specifically like that the fighter is bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Objectively, the best selling edition of D&D at that time was such a disaster they had to walk it all back because of the objective statistics and figures of ???????

Much like the rest of this supposedly ex nihilo development of now that's what I call grogpoints volume 2008, no one is pissy you're saying this, it's just the idea that these are original thoughts is baffling.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you telling me that 4e would have been better had the abilities been written out like this?

No, but I'm saying that it might have been better received. I mean, this is basically how Tome of Battle is written.

I love fourth edition, I'm just providing a perspective.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Objectively, the best selling edition of D&D at that time was such a disaster they had to walk it all back because of the objective statistics and figures of ???????

Much like the rest of this supposedly ex nihilo development of now that's what I call grogpoints volume 2008, no one is pissy you're saying this, it's just the idea that these are original thoughts is baffling.

Where did you get the idea that 4e was the best selling edition of D&D at the time? The only quote I saw was someone saying the industry goes through highs and lows and 4e wasn't selling as well as 3e had.

Edit: This too:

Sales of the June 2008 set of core rulebooks exceeded Wizards of the Coast's expectations, requiring them to order additional books to be printed even before the books' release date.[4] By third quarter 2010, however, sales of 4th edition products were tied with those of Paizo Publishing's Pathfinder, based on supplier interviews.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 10, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sinteres posted:

Where did you get the idea that 4e was the best selling edition of D&D at the time? The only quote I saw was someone saying the industry goes through highs and lows and 4e wasn't selling as well as 3e had.

Per Mike Mearls, every edition of D&D has sold more than the edition beforehand. 3E sold more than 2E, 4E sold more than 3E, etc. His stated aim with 5E was to magnify that growth instead of simply the small but steady rise that's standard, but whether or not they've actually succeeded at this is speculative because no sales numbers are ever released.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Per Mike Mearls, every edition of D&D has sold more than the edition beforehand. 3E sold more than 2E, 4E sold more than 3E, etc. His stated aim with 5E was to magnify that growth instead of simply the small but steady rise that's standard, but whether or not they've actually succeeded at this is speculative because no sales numbers are ever released.

Isn't that quote from 2008, comparing first year sales? Early sales were good, but it seemed to slump hard after that. Later on he was giving interviews having to say he didn't intend for all the fans to go away and they were going to fix 4e.

Either way, he said a couple years ago that 5e PHB has outsold lifetime sales for 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 but nobody really knows how much 1.0 or 2.0 sold (probably a shitload imo). Even there, I suspect 3.x might have higher total sales still since they sold a lot more products back then, but I guess they would have had a lot more overhead too.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 10, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

Where did you get the idea that 4e was the best selling edition of D&D at the time?

1. the number of DnD Insider subscribers, which was a publicly known figure, would have blown any sort of competition out of the water.

2. Pathfinder finally tying with 4e coincided with 4e Essentials, which pissed off people who already liked 4e as it was and didn't appreciate Mike Mearls doing a 180 on the design, which didn't win back any of the grogs that hated 4e for groggy reasons, and which scared off retailers because of a feared repeat of the 3.0-to-3.5 kerfuffle

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Jeezus the slap fighting will never end. Oh and gently caress agro mechanics in a ttrpg.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I don't understand is when was the action economy in D&D a huge problem? Both 5e and PF 2 are making shows of being strict about it but even in 3.x, barring "bag of rats" silliness it wasn't a major issue.

So far as I can tell from games I've been invited to, PF's whole purpose at this point is 'how can I break this system in the optimal manner'. Fudging the action economy is one of the few ways to get non-casters to theoretically keep up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Paolomania posted:

Jeezus the slap fighting will never end. Oh and gently caress agro mechanics in a ttrpg.

Which RPGs have farming mechanics in them?

Elfgames posted:

Maybe if you didn't like FR, sure. I don't either, and I still found the setting entirely boring after the 4E changes.

The Spellplague and FR cosmology changes were bad because all they did was make the setting worse for people who like it and not actually make the setting any more interesting for the rest of us. There was absolutely no point to them, and trying to shoehorn the PoL planes into everything was completely stupid.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 10, 2018

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Anyone in the Kickstarter have updAtes on the Unity RPG?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Zurui posted:

No, but I'm saying that it might have been better received. I mean, this is basically how Tome of Battle is written.

In what world was tome of battle well received by grogs?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sinteres posted:

I just had the unoriginal impression that the class abilities seemed to be drawing from MMOs. Maybe that's not how it actually plays, or maybe I saw someone express that idea beforehand and it influenced my thinking, but that was my initial impression either way.

If the mmo-y stuff you're talking about is the powers, 4e's clearly delineated at-will, encounter, and daily powers, but that wasn't anything more than a formal, consistent designation of stuff that was already happening constantly in 3e (mostly to casters). People talk about the defender classes having an aggro mechanic, but the way defenders work is actually the opposite of how tanks in WoW work. They're also the most well-designed of the 4e class types, each having an interesting way of reinforcing their defender's mark.

Sinteres posted:

Abandoning Greyhawk and nuking Forgotten Realms with a bunch of weird poo poo kind of added to the impression that it was a major break with the past (including the numerous books and video games people had read and played set in FR), which 5e obviously tried to remedy by undoing those changes to make FR normal again.

Did anyone actually care about Greyhawk? I mean, clearly not because it's still in the pile of abandoned settings for 5e and nobody ever complains about that. I never had any deep attachments to the Forgotten Realms, but I don't see how "rewriting the Forgotten Realms lore.... again" makes 4e not-D&D.

Ferrinus posted:

The problem is, fans of those games actually and specifically like that the fighter is bad.

It's mostly this. You could kind of track fissures forming during 3e between different fan reactions to the balance issues inherent in the system. After a while people tended to fall into one of three camps: 1. The system is broken, here are some extensive house rules to fix it. 2. The system is broken but I love it so much, look at all the wacky things I (probably a caster) can do by stacking a half-dozen prestige classes that were never meant to meet! and 3. The system isn't broken, it's working as intended! And where it's not I can fix it myself! And I think a lot of the differing reactions and the games people drifted to in post-3e impacted how you coped with the system while it was the main game.

Zurui posted:

There were a ton of people that hated the Tome of Battle and everything it stood for. The blowback wasn't massive, being a smaller splat that came in in the later portion of 3e, but it was definitely common to hear people vocally hate on it. It probably would have drawn the same level of rage if they'd actually implemented the rules in a core rulebook like they were soft-tested for.

Come to think of it, The Tome of Magic never drew as much heat for its scaled-down casters. Sure, you'd get people who would rightly call the Truenamer a hot mess, or be disappointed by the Shadowcaster, but the Binder got a lot of love. Nobody ever went on huge rants about what a break from tradition the classes were, or how ridiculous and unrealistic their powers were. Any negativity was heavily directed at the lack of playtesting, and even that was a lot more muted. I wonder why...

:thunk:

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 10, 2018

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Nuns with Guns posted:

People talk about the defender classes having an aggro mechanic, but the way defenders work is actually the opposite of how tanks in WoW work. They're also the most well-designed of the 4e class types, each having an interesting way of reinforcing their defender's mark.

Reminder that the 3.5 Knight actually did have an mmo style aggro mechanic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Man, if you think Forgotten Realms had issues with being upended, Greyhawk kept getting whole reinventions, usually by people who wanted to make it the Dark Ages counterpart to the Forgotten Realms high fantasy kitchen sink and scrub all the goofy stuff out. Last I saw everything was at warrrr because of the minis game and it basically came across as Warhammer Fantasy Lite starring that D&D Thing You Remember From Way Back.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Arivia posted:

No, it's true. Better content, better system, better designers. 5e is the dregs of pretty much everything and it really, really shows.

5e is poo poo, but Pathfinder is just poo poo covered in chocolate sauce to make it seem like ice cream rather than the offal it actually is.

PF is built in a broken-rear end system. Like, straight up, 3.5 was busted out of the gate and Paizo didn't change the class disparity to any meaningful degree with their glorified house rules. You know this, I know this, everyone on this hell-site knows it, so saying one is better than the other and continuing to defend that choice is tantamount to admitting "I like warmed-over garbage."

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did anyone actually care about Greyhawk?

Maybe at places like Dragonsfoot? But by and large no one really cared about it. I've seen more people pine for Mystara than I have for Greyhawk, which makes at least some sense if you're one of those (rad) people who liked the Hollow Earth part of it, or the Capcom arcade games.

I guess if you played in Living Greyhawk then I could understand having some nostalgia for it, but it was so basic it may as well have been white bread.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. the number of DnD Insider subscribers, which was a publicly known figure, would have blown any sort of competition out of the water.

2. Pathfinder finally tying with 4e coincided with 4e Essentials, which pissed off people who already liked 4e as it was and didn't appreciate Mike Mearls doing a 180 on the design, which didn't win back any of the grogs that hated 4e for groggy reasons, and which scared off retailers because of a feared repeat of the 3.0-to-3.5 kerfuffle

Also, the 4e PHB2 got on the NYT best-seller list, which I don't think any version of D&D prior to that ever reached.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Ferrinus posted:

It's very easy to take 3e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, 5e, or whatever other D&D chassis you want and fix the LFQW problem: give fighters and rogues increasing amounts of per-day abilities that are comparable in power to spells of the same level. You don't have to touch existing casters at all - just make everyone quadratic.

The problem with that is that it addresses the problem of “i hit one dude and the wizard fireballs 20”.

It doesn’t address “I help gather crops and the wizard casts Control Weather”, or “the enemy wizard casts flight and protection from missiles and I go suck my thumb”.

Those, especially the first one, likely require removing “wizard” as a single class.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

Since that time, Paizo has...stopped doing that. And while no specifics have been aired, former Paizo employees have mentioned enough to pick up on there (broadly) being a more progressive faction in the company, and a far more regressive and conservative faction - with the latter being made of mostly the men on staff, who are also the ones who are the ones largely in control of the company, so it's increasingly pretty clear that whatever minor culture war happened in the company, there's been a winner.

I kind of feel odd about that because for such a lovely company some of those people were really vehement about defending rape, the writers being lovely racists, and the company being composed entirely of white people.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Reminder that the 3.5 Knight actually did have an mmo style aggro mechanic.

I really liked that. Not because it was, finally, a mechanic to keep enemies from just going straight after your casters while you go after theirs, but because it was a decent genre simulation. Seriously, how many of us have seen a new player wade into single combat with something bigger than them, or go in swinging at a swarm of smaller critters, only to be told that the game doesn't actually support storybook derring-do?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The solution at this juncture to resolve LFQW is to just remove pure Martials.

the solution at this juncture to resolve income inequality is to just remove the proletariat

hyphz posted:

The problem with that is that it addresses the problem of “i hit one dude and the wizard fireballs 20”.

It doesn’t address “I help gather crops and the wizard casts Control Weather”, or “the enemy wizard casts flight and protection from missiles and I go suck my thumb”.

Those, especially the first one, likely require removing “wizard” as a single class.

or retool how magic is broken up and distributed like in shadow of the demon lord

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ferrinus posted:

Well, there's also plenty of straight up ignorance on balance - We've all heard the "monk is banned" thing. Lots of people have never even seen a decently-played caster (not optimized, just decent), either as a courtesy from the table or because they don't know what that looks like. My roommate was shocked when I suggested Rogues weren't as good as Wizards in 5e, saying she's always done well as a Rogue. And I don't think she's lying or anything, but like, she's still wrong.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Countblanc posted:

Well, there's also plenty of straight up ignorance on balance - We've all heard the "monk is banned" thing. Lots of people have never even seen a decently-played caster (not optimized, just decent), either as a courtesy from the table or because they don't know what that looks like. My roommate was shocked when I suggested Rogues weren't as good as Wizards in 5e, saying she's always done well as a Rogue. And I don't think she's lying or anything, but like, she's still wrong.

In my groups this was the case for years. NO one played wizard but me, because no one wanted to deal with the minimal bookkeeping of memorizing spells. Combine that with being broke college students who couldn't own every book, and the fact that we hadn't even heard of Character Optimization forums back then made wizards feel kinda lame. Everyone else went either druid or metamagicked sorcerer for spellcasting and no one wanted to play cleric because " who wants to just heal all the time". It's not like we didn't still have powergamers, it's just that some of the more cohesive groups had a gentleman's agreement not to break the game over our knee for the DM's sake.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Countblanc posted:

A ton of balance is dependent on the GM.

If the GM is forcing 8 encounters between rests you're going to see casters drop off.

If the GM is allowing 2-3 encounters between rests you're going to see martial classes drop off.

And the balance issues don't become super blatant until fairly high level.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Ryuutama. :v:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lemon-Lime posted:

HarnMaster, notably.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

No it doesn't. Not in the core book at least.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Man, if you think Forgotten Realms had issues with being upended, Greyhawk kept getting whole reinventions, usually by people who wanted to make it the Dark Ages counterpart to the Forgotten Realms high fantasy kitchen sink and scrub all the goofy stuff out. Last I saw everything was at warrrr because of the minis game and it basically came across as Warhammer Fantasy Lite starring that D&D Thing You Remember From Way Back.

Remember when they rebooted Dragonlance into grimdark low fantasy because Weis and Hickman pissed off WoTC?

Countblanc posted:

Some people need to see the game broken to get why it's a problem. My best buddy demonstrated it for us back in AD&D when his Wizard not only defeated but soloed a Great Wyrm black dragon thanks to contingencies, Lower Resistance, and Polymorph Any Object.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 10, 2018

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

4th Edition was so good y'all. I actually really enjoyed it becoming a very tight fantasy themed board game. The group I play with was really into the tactical combat aspect of D&D, so it focusing more on what the game usually boils down into was perfect. Huge improvement over 3rd, and I say this as a guy who has also played a ton of Pathfinder too.

I way prefer more narrative systems like Blades in the Dark or other PbtA games, but at the end of the day the best system is the one you play with your friends.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Xae posted:

A ton of balance is dependent on the GM.

If the GM is forcing 8 encounters between rests you're going to see casters drop off.

If the GM is allowing 2-3 encounters between rests you're going to see martial classes drop off.

Okay but no. In the first instance, you're going to see (smart) casters dominate the majority of fights still and then slowly taper off but still be very effective. A single decently placed control or damage spell and an encounter is guaranteed for the party. Meanwhile, if it's a 2-3 encounter day they can just unload like a jilted Zeus all over the place until smoking craters are all that remain.

quote:

And the balance issues don't become super blatant until fairly high level.

And this is wrong unless you count "after level 4" as fairly high level. Even at level 1 most casters pull ahead simply in the options available department, and the gap widens as levels give more tricks. It's not as bad as 3E, but seriously the balance issues are there from level 1. Unless you're primed to see them as just part of the game, I guess.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I feel like peoples' main experience with busted casters is less wizards and more clerics coming out of the gate being able to be way better fighters than fighters.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

No, it's true. Better content, better system, better designers. 5e is the dregs of pretty much everything and it really, really shows.

I asked before but I'll ask again; what are these good design choices that Paizo's devs have made? I get it's easy to rag on 5E, it's a bad game, but... 5E actually tried to address the 3.5E baggage that you excuse Pathfinder for clinging to pathologically. Like they actually tried, with mixed success for sure, but that is far more than Pathfinder has done in the ten years they've run their show.

Also the Spellplague was the best thing to happen to the ridiculously overburdened with DMPC Realms and it was improved roughly a million times by dumping (insert your favorite lovely overpowered character from a lovely FR book here) into an incinerator.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Liquid Communism posted:

Remember when they rebooted Dragonlance into grimdark low fantasy because Weis and Hickman pissed off WoTC?

Was that Fifth Age? I didn't pay attention too much to that. I mean, SAGA wasn't bad, but Dragonlance was so deeply rooted in its own little corner of AD&D that it seemed surreal to try and market it without it. I mean, it makes some sense, trying to turn on novel readers with a lighter storygame, but at that point Dragonlance just wasn't as hot (trash) it was in the eighties.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Was that Fifth Age? I didn't pay attention too much to that. I mean, SAGA wasn't bad, but Dragonlance was so deeply rooted in its own little corner of AD&D that it seemed surreal to try and market it without it. I mean, it makes some sense, trying to turn on novel readers with a lighter storygame, but at that point Dragonlance just wasn't as hot (trash) it was in the eighties.

Yep, that was Fifth Age.

quote:

This set takes place 30 years after the second Cataclysm of Krynn, with the old gods of Krynn having left after the destruction brought by Chaos. The game is based in the new Krynn era, that of the Fifth Age, also known as the Age of Mortals. Dragon Overlords now rule much of Ansalon, and have slaughtered the other dragons for their lifeforce. Although the Dragon Lords remain, Man is now the dominant force in Ansalon. The world's old magic is gone, and creatures such as the good dragons, silvanesti elves, and kender live in fear. It is a time of chaos, with rival factions vying for power and the Dragons desperately attempting to reassert their authority.

Dragons of Summer Flame, the book tied into that, was what Weis and Hickman thought was the last DL book, because they were leaving TSR. They came back to do another trilogy and 'fix' the campaign world after the WoTC buyout, and did some 3e Dragonlance stuff via Weis' husband at the time's company, Sovereign Press. It dissolved after their divorce, and the rights went back to WoTC who haven't touched it since 2008.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ferrinus posted:

There's a relatively well known set of homebrew for 3.5 that does this. It's an absolute loving mess because it turns out the already broken underlying system breaks even harder if everyone is wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway, all I'm really trying to get at is that I think Paizo is in a bind with this product. I'm sure it's possible to make some improvements to the mechanics without necessarily completely abandoning the things that attracted their 3.5 customers in the first place, but they're walking a tightrope, and the (in my opinion) most important weaknesses of the game can't be solved while still belonging within that so narrowly defined "genre" (or whatever).

Yeah I think this is right on the money. Pathfinder built its player base on people that didn't want to move on from 3.5, and so it shouldn't be a huge surprise that they're finding a lot of resistance to a new edition from those same players.