Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

jony neuemonic posted:

i honestly don’t understand how. it should just order them by a timestamp right? are they throwing away seconds or something?

Keeping timestamps in sync across multiple devices is non-trivial, but also not nearly as complicated as Apple seems to be making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Last Chance posted:

idk what am i supposed to build new libraries and playlists? i dont have time for that poo poo

You think this poo poo is hard but a single programmer can do the same thing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You think this poo poo is hard but a single programmer can do the same thing.

who gives a poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

Honestly I consider iTunes a huge engineering feat. It's playing songs to my HomePod right now from the same library I started in 2003. yeah yeah, MS is great for backwards compatibility, sure sure, but who used and still uses Windows Media Player from the same era to stream music?

no one.

what? please

im sure anything from that era of windows playsforsure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

i dunno, seeing how they've gone and further hosed up the ui, or broken basic functionality like displaying imessages in sequential order is always exciting

when did they add the second shuffle button in the music app hidden below the play controls that you need to drag from the bottom to get at - but must do without also grabbing the control center from all the way at the bottom

that one’s fun since shuffle is enabled if either one is on since they’re independent of eachother lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
the itunes uninstall process (for pc) can be so badly broken that the best way to reinstall it (should you need it) is to flatten and reinstall windows

which, in apple's defense windows needs regularly but still

(the way to get around this is to use some busted rear end thing called revo uninstaller but that poo poo's practically malware)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

syscall girl posted:

the itunes uninstall process (for pc) can be so badly broken that the best way to reinstall it (should you need it) is to flatten and reinstall windows

(the way to get around this is to use some busted rear end thing called revo uninstaller but that poo poo's practically malware)

Nah, most itunes issues can be fixed by unintalling what you can and just deleting all the apple folders in programdata/programfiles/programfilesx86

You can then reinstall it cleanly

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Nah, most itunes issues can be fixed by unintalling what you can and just deleting all the apple folders in programdata/programfiles/programfilesx86

You can then reinstall it cleanly

is this not the push button age? does that not constitute computer janitoring? that's not what apple is about!

next you'll have me editing the registry

*snaps fingers for uninstall wizard*

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

Honestly I consider iTunes a huge engineering feat. It's playing songs to my HomePod right now from the same library I started in 2003. yeah yeah, MS is great for backwards compatibility, sure sure, but who used and still uses Windows Media Player from the same era to stream music?

no one.

the media format was settled by '95 or so tho

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when did they add the second shuffle button in the music app hidden below the play controls that you need to drag from the bottom to get at - but must do without also grabbing the control center from all the way at the bottom

that one’s fun since shuffle is enabled if either one is on since they’re independent of eachother lol

what just scroll down anywhere on the card you dont need to do it at the bottom

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

windows 10 doesn’t need nowhere near as much of regular reinstalls as did the previous versions

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

windows 10 doesn’t need nowhere near as much of regular reinstalls as did the previous versions

probably not, but thoughtfully they've made it much easier

almost as if it were a requested feature or something they know will be used a lot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

probably not, but thoughtfully they've made it much easier

almost as if it were a requested feature or something they know will be used a lot

that wasn’t a question

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

maybe these idiots should stop making an ide based on the shell of iTunes

why are you under the impression that xcode has anything to do with itunes

is it because they use some of the same art

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rjmccall posted:

90% of every electron executable is identical so i can see where the assumption would come from

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rjmccall posted:

geeze, I have no idea

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

akadajet posted:

geeze, I have no idea

lmao you are design blind

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

lmao you are design blind

are you saying that xcode is not designed to look like itunes?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but it has a play button and everything!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

akadajet posted:

are you saying that xcode is not designed to look like itunes?

look at those goal posts fly

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
my dude, xcode’s look is the standard macOS utility/tool application look.

edit: only similarity is the play/run button and the toolbar now playing/build status thing. the rest looks like standard macOS UI widgets.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 10, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

geeze, I have no idea

el oh el

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

does xcode have gapless playback support? this is important

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

does xcode have gapless playback support? this is important

no, but in itunes tradition they decided to make static analysis on code take as long as determining gapless playback

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

go a pro tier mousepad from a client the other day

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

geeze, I have no idea

yeah, so it's because they use some of the same art

this is going to rock your world, but check it out: image files can be used in multiple places (but i bet xcode doesn't even use the same image files)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf, i can understand the confusion. everything has the fisherprice babby's first application look

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i know webapps have trained you to expect every application to look and behave completely differently for no good reason, but desktop software used to value consistency between applications

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:rolleyes: windows users :rolleyes:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
“these two programs that use the same UI widgets look similar! LOL good job crapple! :supaburn:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

i know webapps have trained you to expect every application to look and behave completely differently for no good reason, but desktop software used to value consistency between applications

i do miss the classic winapi look and feel

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

my dude, xcode’s look is the standard macOS utility/tool application look.

edit: only similarity is the play/run button and the toolbar now playing/build status thing. the rest looks like standard macOS UI widgets.

yeah i think the issue is the standard osx ui widgets are so ugly that it makes both apps look equally bad.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

akadajet posted:

i do miss the classic winapi look and feel

iirc I saw a 90s msft design bible somewhere that was pretty good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

tbf, i can understand the confusion. everything has the fisherprice babby's first application look

those versions in the screenshots are 7 years old at a minimum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

and it’s iTunes for windows in the screenshot

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

nice of them to use a screenshot from when osx still looked good.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Winamp could also do that without being 150mb

it really whips the llama's rear end, op

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
All this praise for Winamp as if Winamp 3 and 5 and AOL didn’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

It's because they're both awful.