Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, the only thing I learned from this thread was the watchtowers trick, which sounds hilarious. How does it interact with mortars spawning though?

Kind of not well, sometimes they get stuck on top of the tower. I only noticed on the Airport map because they spawn within range of being able to shoot the digger. But even then they're just slightly more out of range and you can either shoot them or deconstruct the tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Fneeb posted:

Honestly I'm not sure what they're going for with the microtransactions. You don't need a second (or third or fourth) character slot, the boost seems like it might be nice for Kuban energy but it doesn't seem essential or too grindy without. Extra scavenger teams don't seem all that useful either given that the good stuff is already on a 24 hour timer anyway and you don't get a whole lot back. Unless there's a slew of new, harder content (the multiplayer daily/weekly added last week may point to that) I just don't seem them making much if anything from these, which is fine by me to be honest.

Scav teams can be handy - at least at the moment, for killing your worthless staff members, and even if it isn't much, a dozen or so of any given resource adds up. 5+ teams gathering odds and ends isn't insignificant... although not in the least bit worth 40$.

Extra characters seems more like a concession for people who share games. It's a discount game, which means slimmer profit margins, so households that share are technically going to dip deeper into the bottom line. The rest of us get "20$ off", but if you share, well... Obviously isn't that cut and dry, this is a budget game either way you slice it.

The only thing remaining, beside vanity gestures, are the boosters. Double resource stuff is kinda reasonable. Seem catered to people who don't have a lot of time to play, and give a coop game, "pay-2-win" doesn't exactly apply.

I think the worst of the 'micro-transactions' is paying to recall scav teams, or trigger next wave in base digging. Both are obscenely expensive for what they are. Scav recall is literally 10coins per minute or something ridiculous - I THINK paying here immediately yields what you deployed them for, but yikes, I'm pretty sure you're looking at 50$ for the longest missions. I don't recall what promoting digging costs, but probably the same deal. Fortunately you can cancel base digging without shelling out for it.

Generally, I think the confusion stems around most of these not being designed around 'core' audiences. Absolutely none of this stuff is valuable to me. Not all of them are OK for their purposes, but as much fun as I am having, I wouldn't mind dropping 2$ on double resources if I only had weekends to play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a shame expeditions are still worthless. The rewards for sending out expedition teams are exactly as not-at-all-worth-the-time-investment as they were in MGS5. In that game they were not worth it because you could just raid another player's FOB to get the same rewards, and in this game they're not worth it because 1 co-op mission will get you basically anything you could actually want.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know which rank requires hunting for Firing units, but anything more than C rank requires too many people.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Bought this on a whim after doing some more research and honestly it's not nearly as terrible as most say. The hunger thirst limits are manageable and the basic zombies really that difficult to deal with. Can't wait to get a bow and the clean water thing.

Though, why are there no ponytails?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Monolith. posted:

Bought this on a whim after doing some more research and honestly it's not nearly as terrible as most say. The hunger thirst limits are manageable and the basic zombies really that difficult to deal with. Can't wait to get a bow and the clean water thing.

You’re a soldier

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Monolith. posted:

You get access to horses later.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Calaveron posted:

You’re a soldier

So? In a universe with floating psychic guys, men on fire, and mechs, ponytails are hardly an unreasonable option.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

It's a shame expeditions are still worthless. The rewards for sending out expedition teams are exactly as not-at-all-worth-the-time-investment as they were in MGS5. In that game they were not worth it because you could just raid another player's FOB to get the same rewards, and in this game they're not worth it because 1 co-op mission will get you basically anything you could actually want.

Didn't the ones in MGS5 cut down on the dynamic difficulty in single player by removing body armor & helmets etc.? Or am I mixing stuff up? I had stopped playing by the time the went all in on online stuff. In Survive I think the most useful thing about expeditions is that people on them don't consume resources, if you need to have a full 30 you can have 4 on expeditions so you can still get a positive supply score.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So let me just try and straighten this out. In multiplayer I use up anything I take into a match, but only bring with me the end of match rewards, plus whatever I didn't use from my ORIGINAL items?

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
Yup. Supposedly (not had chance to try it yet) if you use an ammo refill from the digger menu before you leave the match you'll get all the ammo back you went in with, but turrets/grenades/fences etc are all gone. I get that they need to give you a reason to actually go and get resources, but all the fun toys just take an annoying amount of farming unless you want to keep ducking out every match or two (I don't know whether i'm just having bad luck with firing/sensor units or if they've genuinely cut the amount you can get given post match). Maybe that's the point I guess, stop you from farming all the rare gear/patterns quickly and have nothing left to do..

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

poptart_fairy posted:

So let me just try and straighten this out. In multiplayer I use up anything I take into a match, but only bring with me the end of match rewards, plus whatever I didn't use from my ORIGINAL items?

What you bring is the upper limit of what you can get back, but if you end the game with less that's what you get. So if you are soloing spend the last few moments refilling ammo and crafting fences before withdrawing. I don't know how it work if you trade out a slot for something else though. When I run Solo I bring like 20 shotgun shells but have space for 60 just so I have a big buffer for what I can use before I actually start losing "real" resources-

Just before trying base dig 4 I had the idea to move all the valuable buildings to sectors without enemies, and that really saved my rear end since I had a total wipe, but apparently they never damage stuff outside their sector(ignoring the drill). So maybe put your rare animals and costly buildings in the sector with the smallest enemy force just in case.

Hel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 10, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the help, guys. That makes a lot of sense. I kept going in with full ammo and was running a deficit as a result.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I get areas to restock materials to loot? Is it a matter of game days (rest in a tent)? Real-time?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
About 12 hours or so real time, I think? A daily whip round takes a couple minutes with the Scout.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think at hour 16 or so is when they fully restock. They have lately been taking their time at filling up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I think it's some combination of in-game and real-world, since recent patches. Something like resets every 12 hours, but only with an hour or two of playtime. As well. If you just wait 12-16 hours then quickly zip between wormhole points they won't reset until you kill a fair bit more time in-game; co-op won't count.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

A theory a guy I played co-op with had is that it might also be related to how much stuff you pick up in the meantime. I'm pretty sure just real time does nothing because I've had to leave the game alone for over a day by now and had nothing respawn by then. It might be combination of all three, possibly?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It might explain why animals are disappearing from my game, but there are more zombies than ever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Every time I’ve quitted from Virgil, went to coop, then went back to single player it has respawned the three sheep right by the water source next to the camp every time.
At this point I have no worry for food and a lot of it is actually spoiling

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Daily reminder to smoke leftover meats. Less calories but doesn’t go bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

widespread posted:

Daily reminder to smoke leftover meats. Less calories but doesn’t go bad.

Don’t have a smoker yet. I’m at the point where the problem I’m having is I’m too lazy to go back to the supply box to resupply empty bottles for more dirty water/clean water cooking

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Don’t have a smoker yet. I’m at the point where the problem I’m having is I’m too lazy to go back to the supply box to resupply empty bottles for more dirty water/clean water cooking

I think you’re not far from smoking meats. It’s around mission 8-9?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

widespread posted:

I think you’re not far from smoking meats. It’s around mission 8-9?

I have no idea, Virgil straight up told me to gently caress off and explore new areas. I’m after the iris digger thing in the multiplayer arena

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I have no idea, Virgil straight up told me to gently caress off and explore new areas. I’m after the iris digger thing in the multiplayer arena

I think I remember that. Wander round or do a side mission and Miranda goes to rescue someone. Then Reeve follows.

Prob should ask who is also in your crew in terms of talkative folks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

widespread posted:

I think I remember that. Wander round or do a side mission and Miranda goes to rescue someone. Then Reeve follows.

Prob should ask who is also in your crew in terms of talkative folks.

Just the two. I haven’t actually played single player after doing that last mission, just grinding out on multi
Also Thunder Panther who is a friend I met before the previous mission and I assume he’s just a body to work my farms

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So plants can grow here too

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I wish I was a plant...wait, why did I...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They'll grow. Because the old man sleeps here. Wait, nevermind.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If my base defences numbers are ~3x the attacker numbers can I safely leave them to themselves? Or do I need more than that?

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

Infinity Gaia posted:

A theory a guy I played co-op with had is that it might also be related to how much stuff you pick up in the meantime. I'm pretty sure just real time does nothing because I've had to leave the game alone for over a day by now and had nothing respawn by then. It might be combination of all three, possibly?

Can confirm that you can force a respawn by picking up enough stuff. I run a loop of all the teleporters + singularity 1&2 on the first map and stuff is back by the time I go back to the first spot. It's been great for helping me stock up on copper and lead. Each map also has it's own individual loot counter so you can do the same thing for africa, but it's a lot harder without fox walk.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn, just had some salty motherfucker follow me around and drop me with a shotgun or grenades so he could nab side missions before I did.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

If my base defences numbers are ~3x the attacker numbers can I safely leave them to themselves? Or do I need more than that?
As long as the values are higher, you "should" be fine. Just do not be anywhere near the game around the scheduled attacks. Do not be playing coop. Do not be running some other side-op for containers or whatever. Be completely logged off and away from the game.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It might explain why animals are disappearing from my game, but there are more zombies than ever.
Maybe the always online thing is actually working and slowly adjusting rates any which way either for resource balance, or plot revelation/progression? :tinfoil:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

poptart_fairy posted:

Goddamn, just had some salty motherfucker follow me around and drop me with a shotgun or grenades so he could nab side missions before I did.
You still get resources and Iris.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Counter-dick them by heading back to base early and camp the crafting table, build the things before they can.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

zeroskippy posted:

Can confirm that you can force a respawn by picking up enough stuff. I run a loop of all the teleporters + singularity 1&2 on the first map and stuff is back by the time I go back to the first spot. It's been great for helping me stock up on copper and lead. Each map also has it's own individual loot counter so you can do the same thing for africa, but it's a lot harder without fox walk.

Yeah. My current hypothesis is that most loot re-spawning is based on your in-single-player activity. Side missions are based on the in-game clock. And your base resources (maaaybe some other things) are based on real world time.

I can never keep lead stockpiled without using the deployment camp. There's only like 50 lead between singularity 1&2, and there's a good 190 copper between the two of them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Scalding Coffee posted:

You still get resources and Iris.

Oh sure, not worried about that (and hilariously got a bigger Kuban bonus despite finishing second...), but its like what the gently caress man, run some single player easy salvage if the trophy is that important.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, had the digger going full speed for the entire round minus five seconds, and still fell short of S rank. Can't gently caress about here, huh.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grab Iris crystals as well, both from sidemissions and red zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh I was then suddenly bomber's were everywhere and where the gently caress sis those tracks come from and :supaburn:

Also I heard you get bonus Kuban for not buying tactical support weapons.

• Locked thread