Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ok, I'll bite. Why is the Emil quest a bad reason?

E: oh nevermind that's an edit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Materant posted:

It's the one-year anniversary of the game releasing for western audiences! Darth Emil has some words.

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/972109766720933891

Aww, I was kinda hoping it'd be a bunch of hard cuts with him doing a bunch of random things as his commentary continued unaltered.

So, how would you guys recommend this game to people? Cuz, I thought the game was neat but A) I didn't feel compelled to get it myself at any point and B) I'm not sure how to sell people on it if they're on the fence and I'm bad at conversations anyway.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The important factor is deciding if knowlege of Neir is nesscary for endings C-E.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

EponymousMrYar posted:

The ending doesn't quite have the same impact as Nier's original one mostly for the 'someone, somewhere' bit. In the original you knew exactly who you were saving.

It's still a splendid completionist troll however :allears:

:wtc: you do know exactly who you’re saving. Other players that are also getting their rear end kicked by the credit sequence shoot em up.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

EponymousMrYar posted:

Because of this line right here:

As someone who has only experienced this game through the LP, this colored my perception of the following questions. In the game this likely isn't going to be a problem because you'd spend time picking a message and by doing that enough time will have passed to where the next questions are free of that.

However in my mind, the following questions all had a hidden qualifier attached to them: That they applied mainly to 'other players who are suffering because they cannot finish NieR: Automata.' Or explicitly: people who have played NieR: Automata but haven't been able to finish it.

I am not a member of that group.

This betrays one of the central morals in narrative sacrifice, because even a complete stranger is still a human being like yourself and that connection allows for the empathy necessary to perform such a sacrifice.
As someone who has not been able to play NieR: Automata, that line in the game creates a gap between me and the people who the game implicitly wants me to sacrifice myself for, weakening the empathy I am able to generate for them.

I still mentally ticked off 'yes' to every question, but in my heart it was more of a '105%' yes rather than a '125%' yes I've generated in other similar stories (Earthbound, Undertale, original NieR etc.)

I can't even follow what you're trying to say. You couldn't empathize because you were watching an LP rather than playing it yourself? Because you can't see these other people in person? You can't empathize with anything that isn't human? What point are you even making here?

:psyboom:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I don’t think normal people think like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They're just video game characters, doing what they're programmed to do. No need to think more about it or feel anything.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"Feelings are prohibited, 9S"

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ok, well, after a few watchings of the E ending, I bought the game.

That wasn't planned at all.

But who doesn't want to transmit his/her will to the world...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So...

Lost Sphear for the next Id LP?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Simmer down, you don’t have to obsess over it. He’ll do another LP when he’s good and ready.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope it's a game with less bullshit.

And also nothing explodes around him again.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna add to the chorus of people who say they really liked that ending. Although I haven't really given much thought to what happens afterwards.

I'll just assume that 2B and 9S move to a small shack in the woods next to a lake and fish all day. And 9S finally gets to **** 2B. Until a kill team from android high command shows up and guns them down since they're still loose ends for the whole Project YoRHa plan.

A2 is still a murder hobo.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Remember the Moose still has 2B's sword

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I hope it's a game with less bullshit.

And also nothing explodes around him again.

I'm pretty sure neither of those are legally allowed.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:yokotaro:

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

darealkooky posted:

Somehow this post became way longer than it was really meant to be, but at the end this isn't really any more white noise than several pages of "I loved this ending I cry every time"

Glad the cycle of a socially inept weirdo goon making GBS threads up the conclusion of TDI's LP threads continues.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Nohman posted:

Glad the cycle of a socially inept weirdo goon making GBS threads up the conclusion of TDI's LP threads continues.

“This game was so much better back when emotions were prohibited. :sigh:

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Why are there so many new posts a day after I last checked this thread...?

darealkooky posted:

A tome of rambling idiot speak.

Welp. Found who is the winner of getting muted from this LP thread. Congrats! Please shut the gently caress up. I'd rather not lock the thread quite yet. Go poo poo up the Games thread if you must continue.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 10, 2018

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'd like to think that Nier 3 is just gonna be about a moose and a foul mouthed woodpecker romping around the countryside happily.

And then the Watchers invade again, or the woodpecker dies, prompting the moose to take its revenge on the animal kingdom, because... well, that's kinda par for the course for this franchise.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It'll somehow loop back to that weapon story in Drakengard about the lord who really liked hunting, then the forest animals rebelled and tried to storm his mansion, and the guy went "oh they're all coming over here to honor me this is great!" and killed them all with his hunting sword and lived happily ever after.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I don't get sappy about videogame endings very often, but I think Ending E is masterful.

Obviously it doesn't connect with everyone, but seeing lots of people get such a strong emotional response from what's mechanically a pretty simplistic credit sequence really shows that it's doing something right.

Yeah people's data isn't really destroyed when their ship is lost when they come to aid, but they still had to make that initial sacrifice and ultimately all videogames are smoke and mirrors to some extent. You're not really controlling an android, you're not really beating up armies of machines. People are

Yeah it's a bit confusing seeing the androids reconstructed again when you thought everyone was dead. But I can accept it because it's already established that androids have spare bodies and parts lying around, and the PODs are essentially performing a miracle in order to retrieve their consciouses. Which comes accross in gameplay as well because that credit sequence is designed to be mostly impossible unless you accept help. I also agree that it isn't an explicitly happy ending, it's a hopeful one. They aren't magically living happily ever after, they're been giving one more chance. Which might lead to them suffering as they did before, or it might not. But at least they probably have better chances now that the FOREVER WAR ended.

Anyway shine on :yokotaro:

Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.

Elite posted:

Yeah people's data isn't really destroyed when their ship is lost when they come to aid, but they still had to make that initial sacrifice and ultimately all videogames are smoke and mirrors to some extent. You're not really controlling an android, you're not really beating up armies of machines.

Yeah, what I got from this whole sequence is "the game is a game, but your reaction to it is real", which ties straight to the "meaning isn't given, it's made for yourself" bit at the end. It's a good ending.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The pods were the true protagonists all along. Think about it. Everything we see is from their viewpoint, no matter which scantily-clad android is currently hacking machine lifeforms to bits.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I bet it's that one aggro moose that appears in the City Ruins some time after the crater opens up, too!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pyre of Word Salsa posted:

I'd like to think that Nier 3 is just gonna be about a moose and a foul mouthed woodpecker romping around the countryside happily.

And then the Watchers invade again, or the woodpecker dies, prompting the moose to take its revenge on the animal kingdom, because... well, that's kinda par for the course for this franchise.

Nier 3: Banjo Kazooie

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'm gonna add to the chorus of people who say they really liked that ending. Although I haven't really given much thought to what happens afterwards.

I'll just assume that 2B and 9S move to a small shack in the woods next to a lake and fish all day. And 9S finally gets to **** 2B. Until a kill team from android high command shows up and guns them down since they're still loose ends for the whole Project YoRHa plan.

A2 is still a murder hobo.

There is supplementary material you could dive into now that goes past the ending. The big one that comes to mind is the music concert, which has a five part storyline and the last part is a direct continuation of the endings.

And now I'm wondering how the "no spoilers" rule works when the LP's finished...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

piss off

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I do kinda wish the game actually showed us 9S and 2B standing up, just because I prefer visuals over “and then everyone came back as you collectively said ‘gently caress that!’ to everyone dying” (which is still pretty great)

But maybe I’m just sappy

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

EclecticTastes posted:

I can't even follow what you're trying to say. You couldn't empathize because you were watching an LP rather than playing it yourself? Because you can't see these other people in person? You can't empathize with anything that isn't human? What point are you even making here?

:psyboom:

The game wants me to empathize with other people who have/are playing the game and getting stuck on it. I have not played the game. Thus my empathy is having a hard time going beyond 'person who is suffering' and 'person who's butt is getting kicked by a game.'

Were I to play the game, I would have additional understanding and experience that would allow me to easier empathize with 'person who's butt is getting kicked by NieR: Automata.'

This is my entire point.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So... shut the gently caress up and let those of us who have played the game and are capable of basic empathy do so? You sound like you don't wanna be here. LP's over. Go on. Shoo.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So... shut the gently caress up and let those of us who have played the game and are capable of basic empathy do so? You sound like you don't wanna be here. LP's over. Go on. Shoo.

Dude, you seem a bit harsh. I think his point is that as someone who hasn't played the game, and is instead looking at an LP, the things the are clearly meant to address the player personally (what with asking "do you, The Dark ID, want to sacrifice your data"), are not as impactful, this isn't meant to be a flaw, just an observation, it's not like they should try to cater the dialogue to people who watch LP's or anything.

I'm pretty sure he's saying it's still really good, it's just that it can't have the same effect on him as if he was actually the one playing, because there's a layer of detachment inherent to viewing an LP. It's not that's it not moving, just less so than personally doing it. That not the same as not having basic empathy.

I mean, I haven't played it, and this still touched me, pretty drat strongly too, but I agree that I would likely have been more touched if I had personally played it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You're right, I've been having a poo poo day and I could've worded that better.
I'm not apologizing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

EponymousMrYar posted:

The game wants me to empathize with other people who have/are playing the game and getting stuck on it. I have not played the game. Thus my empathy is having a hard time going beyond 'person who is suffering' and 'person who's butt is getting kicked by a game.'

So if TDI photoshopped a screenshot of the game to instead say "This is for you, forums poster EponymousMrYar" you'd suddenly empa

no

no, this is dumb and I feel dumber having read it, thanks

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So do we think the android crew is going to show up for Nier 3? Would that be too cruel?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're right, I've been having a poo poo day and I could've worded that better.
I'm not apologizing.
I do hope your poo poo day becomes less lovely. poo poo days suck.

Stephen9001 posted:

I mean, I haven't played it, and this still touched me, pretty drat strongly too, but I agree that I would likely have been more touched if I had personally played it.

This.
It touched me enough for me to ask the question 'why is this not more powerful than it should be?' and to think through why I thought that and to post that observation here.

Should have done more of that before posting my first draft.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

EponymousMrYar posted:

Were I to play the game, I would have additional understanding and experience that would allow me to easier empathize with 'person who's butt is getting kicked by NieR: Automata.'

This is my entire point.

Empathy is the quality of being able to understand others without necessarily having the same experiences or perspective. Empathy is being able to put yourself in their position without needing firsthand experience of what it's like. And even then, how is it hard to understand how the player is supposed to feel? You saw how tough that shooter sequence was before the rescue offer, and it's all but certain that you've had the experience of getting your rear end kicked repeatedly by a difficult boss, and I'm going to assume you're familiar with the feeling of having everyone rooting for your success at some endeavor, as well as gratitude and the desire to "pay it forward".

Whatever, anyway, back to literally any other topic. During the chorus sequence, was I the only one who had visions of Goku doing the Spirit Bomb?

"Everyone, please lend me your save files!"

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Great LP as always ID, enjoy your (I am assuming) retirement until Final Drakenier Fantasy 18 comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

7 shooters firing bullets together is such an amazing visual after 50 hours of being a lonely single shooter.

• Locked thread