Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drrockso20 posted:

I actually didn't say that, I just noted an inconsistency in her art

I mean I still think she's a mediocre artist at best and that only a couple artists at Marvel are outright worse than her, also I find it idiotic that people are willing to defend meh art so readily on this site
It is a shame that we are not as smart and perceptive as you; but we have you, at least, to guide us.

I hope if they get a new artist they will not try to do hyper-realism or whatnot. I wonder what Kyle Baker is up to lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Maltose posted:

You don't understand how art works, got it.

Nah I understand art just fine, but you are definitely a pretentious douche

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

It is a shame that we are not as smart and perceptive as you; but we have you, at least, to guide us.

I hope if they get a new artist they will not try to do hyper-realism or whatnot. I wonder what Kyle Baker is up to lately.

gently caress you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

gently caress you
C'mon, he was great with Plastic Man.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
How anybody finds the time to complain about Henderson's art when Jon Malin is still drawing a paycheck from Marvel is beyond me.

There's a deep difference between "art with a style I don't like" and "draftmanship that is objectively awful", and the latter is probably a better hill to stand on.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

drrockso20 posted:

Nah I understand art just fine, but you are definitely a pretentious douche

Oh for sure man. You're the one who hates the obviously hard crafted cartoonist's style because it's "meh" but I'm the douche. Gotcha. It's all the others that are idiots.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

C'mon, he was great with Plastic Man.

I was saying that to the first part of the comment, not the second

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How anybody finds the time to complain about Henderson's art when Jon Malin is still drawing a paycheck from Marvel is beyond me.

There's a deep difference between "art with a style I don't like" and "draftmanship that is objectively awful", and the latter is probably a better hill to stand on.

I'd actually never heard of that guy before, and yeah his art is mediocre upon doing a quick Google search, although I have a feeling he still gets work for the reasons that Liefeld still gets it, seniority and connections in the industry

As for Henderson, my main problem with her art is that the way she draws faces makes it look like she's drawing with mashed potatoes instead of pen and pencil, at least for what she draws in the actual comics, she's slightly better at it for covers and some of the doodles I've seen her post online actually look okay, the problem seems to be that her drawing style is not suited at all for the pace of monthly comic books

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh for sure man. You're the one who hates the obviously hard crafted cartoonist's style because it's "meh" but I'm the douche. Gotcha. It's all the others that are idiots.

It's the condescending way you're talking to me that makes you a douche, note I haven't said one word about anyone's intelligence here*

*yes I'm aware I used the word idiotic in an earlier post, but that was not in anyway meant to imply anyone here is an idiot

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You called people idiots, my dude.

Also I 'condescended' to you based on your smug spoiler text about her art being 'mediocre', which is the most useless phrase to use when talking about Henderson's art! The entire fact this polarizing discussion/shitslinging happens is because the art in Squirrel Girl is the farthest thing from mediocre, and kind of proves my point that you don't like it but don't have an actual vocabulary to discuss your dislike of it. Which you are allowed to do! I do not think I can make people who do not like the art in Squirrel Girl to change their minds! But it is neither 'meh' or 'mediocre', it is purposeful and designed for specific effect with obvious effort applied. In a company that suffers a lot from simply sufficient workman's art, it's a pretty major insult to insist Erica Henderson is being pedestrian.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Oh boy heated discussion of opinions

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

As for Henderson, my main problem with her art is that the way she draws faces makes it look like she's drawing with mashed potatoes instead of pen and pencil, at least for what she draws in the actual comics, she's slightly better at it for covers and some of the doodles I've seen her post online actually look okay, the problem seems to be that her drawing style is not suited at all for the pace of monthly comic books
How so?

Like, sure, her faces are kind of same-y, but this is true for many artists. Granted also that her style is more cartoony and round-facey than some. Her stuff is certainly no worse than Frank Miller's and is certainly a drat sight better in terms of use of color even if it is somewhat more deficient in beaten-up batpeople or prostitutes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, Frank Quitely can't draw anybody without them looking like a mashed-face mutant, but on things like page flow, composition, perspective, things like that, he's mind-blowing. A lot of Henderson's strengths are in expression, comedy, and panel composition, the former of which aren't traditional mainstream comic art "virtues", but they're there. If you blank out the word panels in an Henderson page, you often have a pretty decent idea of what's going on. When compared with somebody like Malin who struggles to manage things like perspective, background, who struggles to draw the simple angles of a sword, much less give panels a clear flow from one action to the next... she's so many years or artistic progress beyond him it's ridiculous.

That being said, saying you don't like an artist's style is always legit and you don't need to justify that. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad artist.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also I 'condescended' to you based on your smug spoiler text about her art being 'mediocre', which is the most useless phrase to use when talking about Henderson's art!

You were the one who turned this into a passive aggressive pissing contest regardless of whether or not you thought you were entitled to do so.

For goodness sake stop reacting to other people's opinions of art like a bunch of kindergartners.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Nilbop posted:

For goodness sake stop reacting to other people's opinions of art like a bunch of kindergartners.

Lol maybe if we replace everyone’s mind itt with doctor octopus’s mind

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Nilbop posted:

You were the one who turned this into a passive aggressive pissing contest regardless of whether or not you thought you were entitled to do so.

I think the person who said that thinking that Squirrel Girl's art was good was idiotic was the passive aggressor personally. That's just a personal opinion, mind you. Just one dude's thoughts on this whole situation.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I like Erica Henderson's art but it's okay if you don't.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Connellingus posted:

I like Erica Henderson's art but it's okay if you don't.

Her art is poo poo but it’s okay if you like poo poo

(Is what every dead gay art argument in this sub forum sounds like)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Save us from the Henderson haters swearing they can now buy the book cause everyone stopped having bucked teeth.

I don't understand why everyone having buck teeth is treated as a ridiculous critique.

I mean whatever, to each their own, but classifying criticism as "hating" is dumb.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 10, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl will continue!

With art duties traded off each arc by Greg Land and Michael Gaydos...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Here's my critique of Erica Henderson's art:

What great backgrounds!

Wow!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Erica Henderson off Squirrel Girl
https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/972287432459800576

Book will still continue, wonder if Ryan North is staying on it, or if it will be a different creative team entirely.

Edit: We also need a new thread title or a new thread.

I love Henderson's art, so this is uhh... bad news. I'll pretend there's a legitimate hope gurihiru replaces her

Marvel 2018 - all your favs are gone

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

I love Henderson's art, so this is uhh... bad news. I'll pretend there's a legitimate hope gurihiru replaces her

Marvel 2018 - all your favs are gone

This is my hope too, their model for Squirrel Girl in the last Gwenpool issue is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cute :allears:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

This is my hope too, their model for Squirrel Girl in the last Gwenpool issue is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cute :allears:

This is what I immediately thought of too. They would be perfect for Squirrel Girl.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, they also managed to almost 1:1 copy the look of older alt-u squirrel girl from Henderson's art so i think id trust them to maintain the style of the book

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gurihiru is what everyone wants. Maybe for an entirely different series with an entirely different aim, but an adorable Disneyish SG would be completely missing the point for this one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gurihiru is what everyone wants. Maybe for an entirely different series with an entirely different aim, but an adorable Disneyish SG would be completely missing the point for this one.

I don't think Erica Henderson's squirrel girl is unattractive on purpose.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

My impression is that the USG style is going for "goofy cute." The style also means that Doreen's big ol buck teeth and squirrel face stand out less, which was honestly probably a lot of it: it's her book and so she should be the tastemaker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Erica Henderson's squirrel girl is unattractive on purpose.

Her aim is completely different from Gurihiru's and it's not through some ineptitude. I dunno if she's waking up every day cursing her inability to go cloyingly cute with the character.

You simply couldn't transplant this..

..into the same comic. It wouldn't be a better version. It would be an entirely different thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 10, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well like i said before i think they have the ability to copy the look pretty well when they want to

like, if anything, gurihiru is the only artist (team) that i know of in the marvel bench who has accurately portrayed hendersons style

tbh though i dont really see a problem with sg having a cute animeish style anyways it already has a goofy cartoony look to it

site fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 10, 2018

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

Her aim is completely different from Gurihiru's and it's not through some ineptitude. I dunno if she's waking up every day cursing her inability to go cloyingly cute with the character.

..into the same comic. It wouldn't be a better version. It would be an entirely different thing.

Using a standalone piece of art as an argument against hiring that person to do sequential, story-based art is kinda ridiculous, my man

Like, of course that piece is aggressively cute, it's pretty clearly meant to be aggressively cute. That doesn't mean Gurihiru is incapable of drawing SG any other way, as site's example demonstrates; all it means is that that style matched the aims of the piece they were trying to do.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is a bad argument. You're also ignoring that maybe North will change up the book a little to suit the new artist. Just because it's the same series doesn't mean that they need to try to keep doing the same thing with a new artist. Good writers will write to the strengths of their artists.

Gurihiru's style would fit the character and quite possibly bring something new and exciting to her. Just because it would be different from Henderson's doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's what I said. It couldn't be the same comic with another artist and Henderson doesn't make her characters look the way they do cause she's inept. I'm defending her being crucial to what that run was rather than dumping on the other guy.

It'd be getting a 'fresh start' new #1 anyway, so :shrug:

edit: Anyway, forget Gurihiru. You would need another misunderstood illustrating genius to continue USG... Howard Chaykin!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 10, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well, disregarding that i disagree with the premise of "no one can draw the book like henderson does" in the first place, i guess i dont see what it is in particular about her art that means north now has to fuax-reboot the story and write it differently now that shes gone

what is it about her art specifically that means the book can't be the same

site fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 10, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

site posted:

well, disregarding that i disagree with the premise of "no one can draw the book like henderson does" in the first place, i guess i dont see what it is in particular about her art that means north now has to fuax-reboot the story and write it differently now that shes gone

what is it about her art specifically that means the book can't be the same
I don't think this is like "a reboot" so much as "a possible shift in focus to play to a new artist's strengths."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gurihuri is one of the most goddamn amazing art choices in comics and would do well on almost any book, especially Squirrel Girl.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I still love all the old Marvel Adventures stuff they worked on, it's worth looking up if you like their art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nessus posted:

I don't think this is like "a reboot" so much as "a possible shift in focus to play to a new artist's strengths."

That doesn't really answer the question of what about her art is so intrinsic to the book as it is now that such a change would be necessitated tho

Again, I love Henderson's art but I think north is perfectly capable of writing instructions for a different artist while continuing the story as is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

henderson's art is pretty unique and adds a lot of personality to the book. it's not my thing personally but changing artists would make it feel a lot different imo

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'd suggest Faith Erin Hicks as a replacement, but I'd presume she's better off on her indie comics career than worrying about collecting one of Marvel's paltry paychecks. That could be presumption on my part, tho.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Who was that lady who used to do the super-cartoony art on Hellcat? She'd do a good USG arc or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Brittney Williams, yeah she'd be a good choice too

• Locked thread