Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

LingcodKilla posted:

Y’all talk a big game about crab love but I’ll have you know that I’m a volunteer for the WSG Crab Team and that some crabs (I’m looking at you Green Crab) are just assholes.

No doubt! The same thing could be said about any creature on this earth. It's like anything else, we're just sharing what IS cool about the lil' snippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

If I could just muster the discipline to eat like a crab, I'd never have to worry about problems brought about by over-consumption.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZFCH1mE6PU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'd enjoy my stay there

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

:3: *snip* *snip*

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aaaaah! the gang tag looks so great! I feel like a hermit crab in a fresh new shell :3:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Anyone here ever been pinched by a crab?

It really hurts. You pick up a 1mm crab thinking you're a god, and it pinches the poo poo out of you, you remember you are not a god, eat a beach hotdog, and die of diabetes.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I stepped on a mudcrab barefoot in the mudflats, and it snipped me clean through the side of my foot, leaving two big puncture marks.

I fell face first into the mud while wearing a white t shirt.

T shirt got binned.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m faster, stronger and hungrier than a crab.
I pinch them.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

I just gave one of my crabbies some pizza because I like to make them feel like they're out in the wild every now and then. Sorry for the lovely quality, I just shot the video real quick while I was waiting for something on my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BR6dQ4YQg0

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

extremely Brooklyn accent: "Hey I'm walking sideways here!"

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vz7b5EGeR0

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

This is very appropriate.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Contraboss you know what the best part about being on an island where the coconut crab population is protected*?

The baby coconut crabs are basically just regular old hermit crabs before they get super swole. Little dudes are all over the shady areas near the beach at dawn and dusk. If you’re lucky you can find a big old adolescent the size of your fist using a broken coconut as a booty perch.

*Protected because it was a fine of several thousand British pounds to harm a land crab. That being said, the demographics of the island were (A), well-paid US military, (B), well-paid British military and police, or (C), impoverished contractors from the Phillippines who had to rely on subsistence farming to get by. There were many anti-poaching laws on the books due to the Brits’ shady history with the island and the Chagos populations. Those laws largely ceased at the borders of the Filipino Village, and as long as they weren’t too overt you could view coconut crabs in pens and large gardens of non-native** plants. It was no coincidence that crab populations thrived on the far, uninhabited side of the island but you never saw any on our side. If you made the right friends in the Village ‘I’ve heard’ that a young guy from Baltimore can get a whole cooked coconut crab and it’s really loving tasty with some butter, lemon juice and Old Bay.

**loving none of the vegetation on that island was native, right down to the grass and decorative hibiscus bushes. My contribution was my personal garden of 10 habanero bushes that I was ordered to get rid of by an overzealous new USN XO. I potted them and gave them to my dude in the Village and last I heard they had a bumper crop of spicy side orders with their lumpia and coconut crab.

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.

ContraBoss posted:

I just gave one of my crabbies some pizza because I like to make them feel like they're out in the wild every now and then. Sorry for the lovely quality, I just shot the video real quick while I was waiting for something on my computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BR6dQ4YQg0

I really like those chill crickets just hangin' out.

I know most people like marine hermit crabs but I'm a fan of the freshwater variety of them, since they are so hideous.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lockwell posted:

I know most people like marine hermit crabs but I'm a fan of the freshwater variety of them, since they are so hideous.

It looks like the aliens from District 9 :3:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
While eye stalks would be bad to look at on mammals they're adorable on most invertebrates

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Wild T posted:

Contraboss you know what the best part about being on an island where the coconut crab population is protected*?

The baby coconut crabs are basically just regular old hermit crabs before they get super swole. Little dudes are all over the shady areas near the beach at dawn and dusk. If you’re lucky you can find a big old adolescent the size of your fist using a broken coconut as a booty perch.

*Protected because it was a fine of several thousand British pounds to harm a land crab. That being said, the demographics of the island were (A), well-paid US military, (B), well-paid British military and police, or (C), impoverished contractors from the Phillippines who had to rely on subsistence farming to get by. There were many anti-poaching laws on the books due to the Brits’ shady history with the island and the Chagos populations. Those laws largely ceased at the borders of the Filipino Village, and as long as they weren’t too overt you could view coconut crabs in pens and large gardens of non-native** plants. It was no coincidence that crab populations thrived on the far, uninhabited side of the island but you never saw any on our side. If you made the right friends in the Village ‘I’ve heard’ that a young guy from Baltimore can get a whole cooked coconut crab and it’s really loving tasty with some butter, lemon juice and Old Bay.

**loving none of the vegetation on that island was native, right down to the grass and decorative hibiscus bushes. My contribution was my personal garden of 10 habanero bushes that I was ordered to get rid of by an overzealous new USN XO. I potted them and gave them to my dude in the Village and last I heard they had a bumper crop of spicy side orders with their lumpia and coconut crab.

That's badass that you have access to coconut crabs! From what I heard they have the strongest claws of any arthropod? Or is that just any land-based types?

Coincidentally, I fell in love with Purple Pincher hermits after I was standing quarterdeck watch at the pier in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and a little baby scuttled up to my little watch station. :3: I still got the pic! \/\/\/\/

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 12, 2018

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

While eye stalks would be bad to look at on mammals they're adorable on most invertebrates

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Lockwell posted:

Didn't even know there was a freshwater variety!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the grim fate of crabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5q9y1k6rTM

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dude's an idiot.

Wow.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ContraBoss posted:

That's badass that you have access to coconut crabs! From what I heard they have the strongest claws of any arthropod? Or is that just any land-based types?

Coincidentally, I fell in love with Purple Pincher hermits after I was standing quarterdeck watch at the pier in Montego Bay, Jamaica, and a little baby scuttled up to my little watch station. :3: I still got the pic! \/\/\/\/

They’re super swole crabs, but you have to understand they’re still hermit crabs at heard and therefore, big softies. We eventually got one to crush a solid plastic flashlight in its claw but it took a half hour of backing it into a corner before it finally got fed up with our poo poo.

We also had Warrior Crabs, carnisoma carnifex. Which despite the metal as gently caress name (CANCER BUTCHER :black101:) were also big good-looking red soft boys. I had one scuttle in my building once and tried coaxing him out by sticking a palm front into his claw while he was in a defensive posture. Fucker refused to clamp down so eventually I just had to scoot him out with my boot.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 12, 2018

Lockwell
Mar 31, 2010

Danke schon, na na, Danke schon.
Coconut crabs have one of the strongest grips out there. Field tests were able to show upwards of 1800 newtons and the guesstimate for a full sized coconut crab is around 3000 newtons. Though you're more likely to be hurt by their feet spikes than getting pinched by one, unless it is really hungry.

(I know too much about crabs please send help)

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Coconut crabs are clawsome, and I hope to see one for real one day

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo6HXsHgizc

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

OH MY GODDDDDDDD DAT CRAB!

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
I learned about a crab today.

Hepatus epheliticus a.k.a The Calico Crab! Also called the Leopard Crab.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatus_epheliticus
The Calico Crab is considered to be a type of box crab.
They're super pretty.

Calico Crab blowing bubbles

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

my dog died im sad posted:

They're super pretty.

Saw these lil’ snippers at my local tropical pet store and thought they were pretty swell :3:

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Did you all pay for your gang tags or did a mod do them?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I paid, but some were gifted. A mod put it up on the site, at the very least.

Also, the leopard crabs are too cute. I came into this thread thinking of a crab as one of my favorite things to eat or drink, but I've really fallen for the diverse collection of crabs shared in this thread, especially the gimmicky ones and every hermit crab.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 15, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Clamps McGraw posted:

Did you all pay for your gang tags or did a mod do them?

I paid for mine. I think Contra is the only one with a true freebie, but someone gifted Spinster, too.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

I paid for mine. I think Contra is the only one with a true freebie, but someone gifted Spinster, too.

I paid it forward :)

Not to Spins though :ssh:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

my dog died im sad posted:

They're super pretty.

That’s a good lookin carb

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What's wrong with my crab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

ContraBoss posted:

I paid it forward :)

Not to Spins though :ssh:

Do you just add it as an extra line of code on the avatar upgrade payment screen or what, the gang tag destination URL seems to be different to the avatar one

Help me I'm dumb