Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Even understanding the importance of youtube/social media would be pretty huge for Gibson. They’re awful at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Groundbreaking design from PRS:

Initially I hated this but in the course of a day I'm seeing so much hatred for it in the Guitar Social Media Community that my inner contrarian has brought me back around to liking it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-20/gibson-creditors-are-said-to-want-new-ceo-before-funding-rescue

Gibson Brands Inc.’s Chief Executive Officer Henry Juszkiewicz and his creditors both see value in the iconic guitar brand -- but that might be the only thing they see eye-to-eye on.

A group of bondholders advised by PJT Partners Inc. is pushing for a restructuring that would hand them ownership of the guitar maker and let them install new leadership, according to people with knowledge of the plans. The holders don’t expect Gibson’s earnings will be strong enough to attract new money for a refinancing to head off a default looming later this year, and creditors are reluctant to invest more funds while Juszkiewicz is still in charge, the people said. They asked not to be identified because the plans remain private.

The bondholders, who claim to control more than two-thirds of Gibson’s outstanding notes that come due in August, would allow management to keep a small ownership stake, according to the people. Juszkiewicz, who has run Nashville, Tennessee-based Gibson for more than 30 years, says he has no plans to give up majority control and brought back Benson Woo for a second tour of duty as his chief financial officer.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I got no particular love for Mayer, Fender, or PRS, but I can't blame him for taking the money and running. Don't people do this somewhat frequently? Down the road when his PRS contract is up Fender can make a big deal about his homecoming like Lebron lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ingmar terdman posted:

I got no particular love for Mayer, Fender, or PRS, but I can't blame him for taking the money and running. Don't people do this somewhat frequently? Down the road when his PRS contract is up Fender can make a big deal about his homecoming like Lebron lol
Eh, it's different things for most musicians. Among the stories that I've confirmed of musicians ending their contracts with instruments manufacturers, I have:
  • John 5 literally walking into NAMM... I think back in 2002? And didn't see his banner at the Ibanez booth and going Wee Bey on the Ibanez Rep. Fender heard that he's way into Teles and said "Johnny-boy, we've got you covered". And he's been with them ever since. Chris Broderick left Ibanez for Jackson due to a similar situation if I don't misremember.
  • Mike Einziger stopped using PRS Guitars because some dude from the company ended up doing some sketchy poo poo and going to jail for it, so he didn't want to be associated with PRS Guitars anymore. I think he mostly tried to cop the "indie fucker" feel afterwards and ended up mostly using Jazzmasters despite the fact that he did the same thing Jim Root did with his Telecasters and took out everything that made the Jazzmaster what they are. Now I think he's with Music Man.
  • Bill Kelliher couldn't get the time of day at Gibson despite ostensibly having 2 models based on "his" specs. So when ESP started courting him they basically said "So, how about them gauge strings and nut spacings?" and he said "Sign me the gently caress up!".
  • Björn Gelotte literally just switched to Gibson/Epiphone from ESP because they gave him free guitars. Then eventually the guys put a bottle opener in the newest version of his Les Paul Custom Signature. Hey, enabling your lovely drinking habits is no big deal, despite the fact that you literally kicked out the other guitarist from the band because he couldn't put down the bottle. :jerkbag:
  • Alexi Laiho got his two main Jackson Rhoads stolen and couldn't get Jackson to replace them fast enough. ESP said "gently caress it, we'll get you a Rhoads clone in 3 months" and he was all over it.

On the other hand, there are dudes who stand with their endorsers/signatures:
  • Steph Carpenter has been endorsed by ESP since like 94 and got his first Signature back in 98. I think it's mostly because he has so very little requirements (THICC neck and ebony fingerboard) that loving that up would be dumb. Same for Blakkheim from Katatonia and Mayones.
  • Mikael from Opeth started using PRS guitars around 2001 and I don't think he's used anything else. Steven Wilson is pretty much the same.
  • Duff only uses Fender basses based on his Japanese Precision Special since like forever. I think he used Gretsch basses for like a minute with Velvet Revolver, but since they're basically owned by Fender, who cares.
  • I don't think I've seen the guys from Fall Out Boy (guilty pleasure, shut up. :blush:) use anything live in the last 6 years other that wasn't their Squier/Fender (for the lead guitar dude and bass player) and Gretsch (for the singer/rhythm guitar dude).

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wark Say posted:

On the other hand, there are dudes who stand with their endorsers/signatures:
  • Steph Carpenter has been endorsed by ESP since like 94 and got his first Signature back in 98. I think it's mostly because he has so very little requirements (THICC neck and ebony fingerboard) that loving that up would be dumb. Same for Blakkheim from Katatonia and Mayones.
  • Mikael from Opeth started using PRS guitars around 2001 and I don't think he's used anything else. Steven Wilson is pretty much the same.
  • Duff only uses Fender basses based on his Japanese Precision Special since like forever. I think he used Gretsch basses for like a minute with Velvet Revolver, but since they're basically owned by Fender, who cares.
  • I don't think I've seen the guys from Fall Out Boy (guilty pleasure, shut up. :blush:) use anything live in the last 6 years other that wasn't their Squier/Fender (for the lead guitar dude and bass player) and Gretsch (for the singer/rhythm guitar dude).
Thread favorites Joe Satriani and Steve Vai and their 30-year histories with Ibanez.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anime Reference posted:

Thread favorites Joe Satriani and Steve Vai and their 30-year histories with Ibanez.

Yeah, I was gonna say that thread posterboy Vai continues to use basically everything he put his name on to one extent or another.

I don't think he plays the Universe much anymore but he got a 6 string from Ibanez so I dunno how much to count that

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kerry king's stuck with bc rich through thick and thin because they're aesthetic soulmates

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Every signature guitar is lame as poo poo other than the Buckethead Gibson one. At least that one is weird and has features no other production Gibson has(27" scale, oversized body, 2 kill switches, weird color). All other signature models from every company are basically just normal production model guitars that cost way more than they should because it has some dorks name on the headstock or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Actually speaking of Steve Vai's signature stuff, I wonder if he'd get another signature amp now that Carvin straight up doesn't do those anymore or if he'll just keep using what he's got.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-20/gibson-creditors-are-said-to-want-new-ceo-before-funding-rescue

Gibson Brands Inc.’s Chief Executive Officer Henry Juszkiewicz and his creditors both see value in the iconic guitar brand -- but that might be the only thing they see eye-to-eye on.

A group of bondholders advised by PJT Partners Inc. is pushing for a restructuring that would hand them ownership of the guitar maker and let them install new leadership, according to people with knowledge of the plans. The holders don’t expect Gibson’s earnings will be strong enough to attract new money for a refinancing to head off a default looming later this year, and creditors are reluctant to invest more funds while Juszkiewicz is still in charge, the people said. They asked not to be identified because the plans remain private.

The bondholders, who claim to control more than two-thirds of Gibson’s outstanding notes that come due in August, would allow management to keep a small ownership stake, according to the people. Juszkiewicz, who has run Nashville, Tennessee-based Gibson for more than 30 years, says he has no plans to give up majority control and brought back Benson Woo for a second tour of duty as his chief financial officer.
Of cours Henry is holding a Firebird X in the photo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I hope there's some weird-rear end music that I cannot conceive of that 20 years from now does the ironic-unironic appreciation for the utter crap this company is churning out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Speaking of signature guitars, I was recently at a Guitar Center (I bought a tremolo pedal) and I saw they had one of those Steve Vai-style Ibanezes.

I had to pick it up by the hole for your dick grip, just to see what it was like.

I only realized later I never actually bothered trying to see how it felt to play.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I hope there's some weird-rear end music that I cannot conceive of that 20 years from now does the ironic-unironic appreciation for the utter crap this company is churning out.

Those weird Norlin Gibsons from the 70s never gained much of a cult that I'm aware of.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Faustus gettin' triggered on this page.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hexwren posted:

Speaking of signature guitars, I was recently at a Guitar Center (I bought a tremolo pedal) and I saw they had one of those Steve Vai-style Ibanezes.

I had to pick it up by the hole for your dick grip, just to see what it was like.

I only realized later I never actually bothered trying to see how it felt to play.

They play amazingly, it's just that they're just the goku bowling shirts of guitars.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

hexwren posted:

3 out of 4 of them feel like crap, and if it's at Guitar Center, there's a good chance it will be setup like garbage.

That said, I bought one. It's most Liberace Gay looking thing I own and I love the hell out of it. It's awesome. It plays amazingly well, it holds its tune even after the most ridiculously exaggerated and sustained trem dive bombs, and even the pickups sound like a great super strat, surprisingly. They sound stringy and jangly like a strat, but are high output enough to sound good with a lot of gain.

Play a bunch of them and I bet you'll find a really good one. Then buy it. It's great.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Those weird Norlin Gibsons from the 70s never gained much of a cult that I'm aware of.

Hoo boy, the music I listen to... those bands love them.

edit: oooh you mean the funky ones? Yea, a lot of those designs were bad but I love the Marauder and the RD (although, apparently the Moog electronics ain't so hot).

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 10, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

Every signature guitar is lame as poo poo other than the Buckethead Gibson one. At least that one is weird and has features no other production Gibson has(27" scale, oversized body, 2 kill switches, weird color). All other signature models from every company are basically just normal production model guitars that cost way more than they should because it has some dorks name on the headstock or something.
When I mentioned to a previous boss that, for the longest time, I wanted to get a 7 string but I could never find one I actually liked (being left-handed and picky is like the worst-loving combination ever), she thought it'd be fun so she put in the front payment for the LTD version of Steph Carpenter's 7-string. Let me tell you, I thought it was gonna be lame as 90% percent of the signature guitars, but having:
  • The 27 inch Baritone scale (which allowed me to go to down to Drop F# quite easily)
  • The THICC neck (which also aided on that)
  • The Fishman Fluence Pickups
It was a boner-popping experience. So yeah: More baritone Signature Guitars for me.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hoo boy, the music I listen to... those bands love them.

edit: oooh you mean the funky ones? Yea, a lot of those designs were bad but I love the Marauder and the RD (although, apparently the Moog electronics ain't so hot).

Yeah I'm sure I've heard dozens if not hundreds of Norlin-era Les Pauls and SGs, I meant the new designs they tried to introduce.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

3 out of 4 of them feel like crap, and if it's at Guitar Center, there's a good chance it will be setup like garbage.

That said, I bought one. It's most Liberace Gay looking thing I own and I love the hell out of it. It's awesome. It plays amazingly well, it holds its tune even after the most ridiculously exaggerated and sustained trem dive bombs, and even the pickups sound like a great super strat, surprisingly. They sound stringy and jangly like a strat, but are high output enough to sound good with a lot of gain.

Play a bunch of them and I bet you'll find a really good one. Then buy it. It's great.

I'm not opposed to playing or buying one (though I'd want one without the trem, I can't deal with a floyd rose) I just was so distracted by "oh wow I get to try picking it up by the weird handle" that I didn't actually sit down and try it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I want a jem so bad but definitely one of the obnoxious super expensive ones :/

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Wark Say posted:

[*]The Fishman Fluence Pickups

More like Fishman flatulence pickups amirite

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

When I mentioned to a previous boss that, for the longest time, I wanted to get a 7 string but I could never find one I actually liked (being left-handed and picky is like the worst-loving combination ever), she thought it'd be fun so she put in the front payment for the LTD version of Steph Carpenter's 7-string. Let me tell you, I thought it was gonna be lame as 90% percent of the signature guitars, but having:
  • The 27 inch Baritone scale (which allowed me to go to down to Drop F# quite easily)
  • The THICC neck (which also aided on that)
  • The Fishman Fluence Pickups
It was a boner-popping experience. So yeah: More baritone Signature Guitars for me.

Yeah that thing sounds cool too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chrpno posted:

More like Fishman flatulence pickups amirite
:tutbutt:

Malaria posted:

Yeah that thing sounds cool too.
It's fun! It's probably also the last signature guitar I'm planning to buy, unless Yamaha or whatever Chinese company decides to buy Gibson and proceed to smack them fools back into shape and they re-release a left-handed version of that Buckethead guitar because Holy Hell. :swoon:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

It's fun! It's probably also the last signature guitar I'm planning to buy, unless Yamaha or whatever Chinese company decides to buy Gibson and proceed to smack them fools back into shape and they re-release a left-handed version of that Buckethead guitar because Holy Hell. :swoon:

That's the more expensive one right? I have the matte finish one that was $1200; but that one with the clear coat was like $4000~. I don't even know what the difference between the two are.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I think I said this before, but the John Mayer Fender strat I played at a guitar store once was literally the nicest strat ive ever played. It just wasn't worth the huge price uptick vs a normal strat.

Also I hate myself for not buying a Buckethead Gibson when they were available. Hes my favorite guitarist by far and that guitar rules.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's the more expensive one right? I have the matte finish one that was $1200; but that one with the clear coat was like $4000~. I don't even know what the difference between the two are.
I literally just found out that it was a thing, my good fellow.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Malaria posted:

I think I said this before, but the John Mayer Fender strat I played at a guitar store once was literally the nicest strat ive ever played. It just wasn't worth the huge price uptick vs a normal strat.

Also I hate myself for not buying a Buckethead Gibson when they were available. Hes my favorite guitarist by far and that guitar rules.

Someone in the hip-hop thread posted a Buckethead tribute to ODB and my respect for him grew tenfold.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Buckethead is becoming one of my favorites now that I’ve listened to two of his ambient albums. They’re amazing and a lot like some of the stuff I’ve been working on.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

MrSargent posted:

Someone in the hip-hop thread posted a Buckethead tribute to ODB and my respect for him grew tenfold.

Buckethead is too good for this world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pngkxpmhMAg

Seriously. check that poo poo out. Goes from one a bunch of cool poo poo into loving Machine Gun, and its amazing

Buckethead rules

Malaria fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 11, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get this one for $255

http://s.aliexpress.com/6jQJ3e6r

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

holy poo poo I want one

Malaria fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 11, 2018

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Normally I find the pre-relic job thing utterly stupid but this is a thing of beauty. The spec is also right up my street. I just can't justify dropping that kind of money on an instrument.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm not a fan of relics either but I like the amount of thought that went into that one. They're trying to tell a story beyond just "a dude went at his guitar with a screwdriver."

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The story is that it had a better paint job at one point?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I like my mojo handcrafted not artificial

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
only a free range artisanal belt sander was used to scuff up the paint

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

You can just put a coat of acrylic paint over the lacquer and it’ll look like that pretty fast naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The story is that it had a better paint job at one point?
Kind of, but basically. Story goes that a lot of custom color Fenders were done on top of messed up sunbursts and unsold pink paisleys, and as the years went by it became exposed. No idea how common it actually was but guitar instagram is filled with new relic ones.