Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I spent all my money buying Zeratul and Zuljin last night. They're two I'd like to get good with. Blinky boi and WAAAAAGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

After being stuck in bronze all last 2 seasons my placements this time put me silver 4 so I guess I'm getting better lol

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Charles Bukowski posted:

I spent all my money buying Zeratul and Zuljin last night. They're two I'd like to get good with. Blinky boi and WAAAAAGH.

Better get zarya and zagara too while youre at it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
(I already bought them)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Managed to lose two protectors and gain no buildings in the meantime. Then, we somehow marched the third through fort and keep to a core kill. What a weird game.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Snacksmaniac posted:

Managed to lose two protectors and gain no buildings in the meantime. Then, we somehow marched the third through fort and keep to a core kill. What a weird game.

People still underestimate the Protector, and that late-game laser line is murder if they’re not careful.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Dire Human posted:

People still underestimate the Protector, and that late-game laser line is murder if they’re not careful.

Yeah, lategame protector is the real deal now. I had a game vs chogall in QM where they won all the objectives and were smashing us, but we got a lucky chogall kill in the lategame. We got protector and had a 5v5, and the protector ran around the chogall and triple killed his whole team, then turned around and pinched chogall between itself and the rest of our team. From there it was fort to keep to the rare chogall QM loss. Felt great.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
New Zeratul is great. There are a few talents I always get: Wormhole and Might of the Nerazhim.

You can do some insane stuff with the double blink. My favourite is to double blink behind the gate and murder someone who thought they were in a safe space to hearth.

You can also rip down a fort with the attack speed talent plus the lvl 1 globe talent that makes basic attacks lower your blink cooldown. The attack speed increase will mean you can blink attack wormhole attack pretty much constantly and proc the follow through damage. If anyone comes to stop you just leave.

He’s great

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yeah, lategame protector is the real deal now. I had a game vs chogall in QM where they won all the objectives and were smashing us, but we got a lucky chogall kill in the lategame. We got protector and had a 5v5, and the protector ran around the chogall and triple killed his whole team, then turned around and pinched chogall between itself and the rest of our team. From there it was fort to keep to the rare chogall QM loss. Felt great.

Even the early game protector is pretty decent now imo. Get someone who knows what they're doing to man the guns and while you might not necessarily get a whole building you can usually pick up a couple three kills plus some towers for a nice XP boost.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

medivh seems p. good right now (low diamond)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I honestly don't think I've seen a Chughall stomp in QM in a long time. Like they always just seem the most suicidal fuckers and gosh howdy what dps doesn't love a balloon to pop. Also it doesn't help that there's quite a few maps where deleting a 5th team member is just a bad idea and QM doesn't discriminate.

Also I played Artanis for the first time and somehow walked away with MVP? And most Hero Damage? Like, what? Just right clicking people I guess works? I don't even think I really did that. But it totally makes sense that the next game I felt more comfortable with the swap ball and proceeded to miss forever and accomplish nothing at all.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just had the perfect storm, a team with a Gul'Dan and a Hanzo where they picked Rain of Destruction and Dragonstrike respectively.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Enemies try to move out of Dragonstrike and right into Rain. The unbeatable maneuver.:henget:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
And with Lava Wave you can't be stopped!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Guldan's lovely aoe heroic is by far the most baffling thing in the game. What on earth could it be used for? At least Dragonstrike lets you somewhat herd cats at few opportunities.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

:pcgaming: REIGN OF DESTRUCTION :pcgaming:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

McTimmy posted:

And with Lava Wave you can't be stopped!

Lava Wave at least actually has some uses. I mean it's not a great teamfight ult unless the enemy team is all real dumb or maybe you have a Maiev lock everyone in jail, but being able to casually depush a lane is at least a thing you can look at and go "okay, this makes some kind of sense." Maybe on Braxis you can use it to help defend against zerg waves, I dunno.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I had a Hanzo on my team take dragonstrike, try to use it to clear a minion wave when no heroes were around, then rage at his team after the loss

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kai Tave posted:

Lava Wave at least actually has some uses. I mean it's not a great teamfight ult unless the enemy team is all real dumb or maybe you have a Maiev lock everyone in jail, but being able to casually depush a lane is at least a thing you can look at and go "okay, this makes some kind of sense." Maybe on Braxis you can use it to help defend against zerg waves, I dunno.

I will never be unhappy to see Lava Wave because it's not like most people give a poo poo about de-pushing lanes/soaking XP and I wouldn't trust any given Rag to land the hammer well besides.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 11, 2018

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

kater posted:

I honestly don't think I've seen a Chughall stomp in QM in a long time. Like they always just seem the most suicidal fuckers and gosh howdy what dps doesn't love a balloon to pop. Also it doesn't help that there's quite a few maps where deleting a 5th team member is just a bad idea and QM doesn't discriminate.

Also I played Artanis for the first time and somehow walked away with MVP? And most Hero Damage? Like, what? Just right clicking people I guess works? I don't even think I really did that. But it totally makes sense that the next game I felt more comfortable with the swap ball and proceeded to miss forever and accomplish nothing at all.

https://www.hotslogs.com/Sitewide/HeroAndMapStatistics

If you sort by QM, you'll see cho and gall are the top heroes in QM, and have been for a long, long time. Every time those fuckers don't show up to ruin my games I'm thankful.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

kater posted:

Guldan's lovely aoe heroic is by far the most baffling thing in the game. What on earth could it be used for? At least Dragonstrike lets you somewhat herd cats at few opportunities.
It has one of, if not the, highest core DPSes in the game since it's so big it cant miss. :v:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I saw a cho'gall on the other team in qm and groaned... then I realized we had a tychus. :getin:

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Dietrich posted:

I saw a cho'gall on the other team in qm and groaned... then I realized we had a tychus. :getin:
Every time I've had a QM Tychus vs. Cho'gall, the Tychus spends most of the game avoiding Cho. It must be the Stim/Nano-retreat effect. :shrug:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I trolled the hell out of a Hanzo as Azmodan the other night. I ignored him entirely while channelling All Shall Burn to destroy their keeps. It was real sad.

He tried to Dragonstrike me and I just moved slightly, and I'm not sure I even needed to do that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just had a Blackheart's Bay game where I wound up dealing less than 3,000 hero damage because I spent the entire game dual soaking and pushing top and mid while everyone else tussled over bot lane. That map is real silly sometimes.

Olaf The Stout posted:

https://www.hotslogs.com/Sitewide/HeroAndMapStatistics

If you sort by QM, you'll see cho and gall are the top heroes in QM, and have been for a long, long time. Every time those fuckers don't show up to ruin my games I'm thankful.

Cho'Gall is a real weird hero design because he's almost trivially easy to deal with in drafted formats and in fact he has I believe the worst winrate in hero league, then when you throw him into a completely random game mode like quickmatch be becomes a pubstomper extraordinaire. I'm not really sure what they could do to smooth that out short of disallowing the character in quickmatch (which is where I'm sure 99% of his use comes from) or adjusting the matchmaker to somehow ensure the other team has some form of anti-tank damage in their kit.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

I just had a Blackheart's Bay game where I wound up dealing less than 3,000 hero damage because I spent the entire game dual soaking and pushing top and mid while everyone else tussled over bot lane. That map is real silly sometimes.

Cho'Gall is a real weird hero design because he's almost trivially easy to deal with in drafted formats and in fact he has I believe the worst winrate in hero league, then when you throw him into a completely random game mode like quickmatch be becomes a pubstomper extraordinaire. I'm not really sure what they could do to smooth that out short of disallowing the character in quickmatch (which is where I'm sure 99% of his use comes from) or adjusting the matchmaker to somehow ensure the other team has some form of anti-tank damage in their kit.

If you sort by Team League, you'll see Gall at # 3 and Cho at # 5.

Somehow.

Which is why they're my team league groups #2 ban for life.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

HL in particular is bad for Cho'Gall because coordinating with a complete stranger is really hard, and was made even harder in the Before Times without voice. As VC gains traction I won't expect his pickrate in HL to increase, but I do expect his winrate to go up at least a little. He has a unique and interesting effect on drafts, so even if I didn't like playing as him personally, I'd still be glad he exists; in my opinion, he more than deserves his place in the Nexus, niche it may be.

Full disclosure: I'm a huge fan of C'G and don't even mind seeing him on the other team... but Anub and Tychus are two of my preferred QM queuers, so I'm a bit biased.

Re: Olaf: I think the TL discrepancy may stem from some Cho/Gall players not being above 5, thus only one head is counted occasionally?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

His sky high winrate falls apart on Towers and Sand Hell. Guess I've just been lucky.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I love playing against Chogall because they're incredibly fun to play against, especially if you can draft against them.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

lucifirius posted:

I love playing against Chogall because they're incredibly fun to play against, especially if you can draft against them.

The best thing is when you draft Anub to fit the comps thus far and the other side still slam-picks an unsynergistic CG.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There really should be some kind of giant angry alert for people who play Auriel but don't use bestow hope.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kurieg posted:

There really should be some kind of giant angry alert for people who play Auriel but don't use bestow hope.

Yeah, ones that use it sub-optimally annoy me (crowning a tank when I'm landing 4-person Ws and repeated Qs as Chromie) but it's not a tenth as bad as the ones that just don't use it at all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, ones that use it sub-optimally annoy me (crowning a tank when I'm landing 4-person Ws and repeated Qs as Chromie) but it's not a tenth as bad as the ones that just don't use it at all.

I initially thought they had crowned Kael'Thas at the start and just didn't realize that it had a maximum range. But later we got into a massive 5v5 team scrum and nobody was hatted and I was really really wishing that Graymane had some kind of self-heal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
power ranking of healers for players i don't trust:

Tier 1 (almost impossible to mess up):
Lili
Brightwing
Lucio

Tier 2 (intuitive, well designed heroes with rewarding healing mechanics, often picked by players who actually enjoy playing support):
Stukov
Alex
Uther
Malfurion

Tier 3 (i don't expect much)
Morales
Khara
Rehgar

Tier 4 (potential for single-handedly losing the game):
Auriel/ana

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Please don't give Murky tips in this topic as he is a horrible, obnoxious character tia.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Really? I'd put Allie/Stukov in tier 3 and Rehgar in tier 2, given your definitions.

So many arm-build Stukovs that don't heal for poo poo. :negative:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Rehgar's healing numbers are much lower than you'd think and his design pushes you to melee too hard. I have a very low win rate with him on my team.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the Alexes and Alexeis I've played with tbh, that's more my personal experience speaking than anything else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 12, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And stukov's healing is kind of burst-and-wait unless you have someone who's really good at targeted excision.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PantsBandit posted:

Please don't give Murky tips in this topic as he is a horrible, obnoxious character tia.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also I'd put Morales higher up on the list since it's a lot easier to explain "If you heal someone at full health it will heal yourself with no energy cost" than "Here's exactly how Hat works and the various talenting decisions you need to make based on team comp."