Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
For pinball guy, you need:

- A hyper bumper area called "butt Bongo Fiesta" with hineys on the bumpers
- Spinners with Beetle, Eric, Wendy, Bigfoot, Kenneth Kieth, etc. that triggers their voices when you spin them
- "Hey Now!" sound effects when you launch the ball
- "Baba Booey" when the ball drains
- Maybe that Martin Landau "gently caress YOU" when you pop a free game
- "Huuhhhhhhhhh....!!!!! DROPPIN FUCKIN LOADS!!!" when you're racking up points.
- Farts and Burps when you hit bumpers

That's a cool idea you got. You have to post it when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Hitting the bumpers x amount of times starts Walker Mode - a little screen animation plays and "Can I tell you my favorite Matt Dillon story real briefly?" plays. Then, you have 15 seconds to hit the bumpers as many times as you can, and each time the fart sound blasts through the speakers. The background music for Walker Mode will be the conga playing.

Holy gently caress, I knew posting about this in here was a good idea.

Please tell me this is all real and I can play it someday :ohdear:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
When you loose a ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebanS7YL6V4

When you earn an extra turn:

GIVE RODNEY A CHANCE!

If someone's tilts:

"WHAT ARE YOU A HOMO?"

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
It's gonna take some time - a lot of time, in fact - but I'm already so far in that it's hard to not want to bring this whole project to completion. Will probably need to outsource some graphic design for the playfield background and object textures, the rest for the most part can be a one-man show. Here's some test footage of what's going on so far (uh, definitely don't play this video out loud at work):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_21lNgZXes

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Anytime you have a score that ends in a 9, please make it audibly say "noine".

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Sand Monster posted:

Anytime you have a score that ends in a 9, please make it audibly say "noine".

The only problem with this is that incremental scoring by 1s is not very popular as it's generally not liked from a gameplay perspective and makes things more difficult for scripting events. Right now, for example, this table's lowest point value for a target is 250 and the highest is 50,000. Generally tables use 10s as their lowest number, so I could potentially have that happen if the score hits "noinety"?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Will the table have nudging/tilt options?
I think Pinball FX makes a noise if you nudge the table as a warning - on the 3rd warning (within a certain timeframe - 30 seconds?), it will fully tilt, and you lose control of the flippers.
If so, maybe 1st warning - Sour Shoes oooOOOOhhh!
2nd warning - A Benji scream/whine, or maybe Iron Sheik screaming "gently caress's You!"
Tilt: WET oval office!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Kragger99 posted:

Will the table have nudging/tilt options?
I think Pinball FX makes a noise if you nudge the table as a warning - on the 3rd warning (within a certain timeframe - 30 seconds?), it will fully tilt, and you lose control of the flippers.
If so, maybe 1st warning - Sour Shoes oooOOOOhhh!
2nd warning - A Benji scream/whine, or maybe Iron Sheik screaming "gently caress's You!"
Tilt: WET oval office!

Yup! Right now the actually physical nudging of the table is built into Visual Pinball's engine, it's the nudge/tilt events themselves that just need to be scripted.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The only problem with this is that incremental scoring by 1s is not very popular as it's generally not liked from a gameplay perspective and makes things more difficult for scripting events. Right now, for example, this table's lowest point value for a target is 250 and the highest is 50,000. Generally tables use 10s as their lowest number, so I could potentially have that happen if the score hits "noinety"?

I don't play pinball much but I think there are multipliers that happen based on events. Maybe if you get to a 9x multiplier then it could just be the Sour Shoes "noine noine noine noine noine noine noine noine noine"?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Rapidly Going Deaf › Howard Stern Show Megathread: Artie didn't die. We're talking about pinball

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Rapidly Going Deaf › Howard Stern Show Megathread: Artie didn't die. We're talking about pinball

:golfclap:

I really need this game in my life now.

*ball falls down hole* "You think they'll be gettin' any raaaain down there?"

Also, you know when you watch a clip from the show, and it's got that grunge guitar/bass/drum loop playing, based off of the HowardTV theme? That's what should be playing in the background. I know music licensing can get crazy, so I realize this might not be feasible, but man, it'd be awesome if it could be done.

The other option is the KC Ghostbusters song.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, you know when you watch a clip from the show, and it's got that grunge guitar/bass/drum loop playing, based off of the HowardTV theme? That's what should be playing in the background. I know music licensing can get crazy, so I realize this might not be feasible, but man, it'd be awesome if it could be done.

I already tried to find even a regular copy of Brian Fay's HTV theme song and it looks like the people at Sirius really got on top of taking poo poo down because I haven't found a non-lovely suitable copy of it anywhere. Might have to go into the studio and record one myself. Just go for a Manson-themed song with a circus twist.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I already tried to find even a regular copy of Brian Fay's HTV theme song and it looks like the people at Sirius really got on top of taking poo poo down because I haven't found a non-lovely suitable copy of it anywhere. Might have to go into the studio and record one myself. Just go for a Manson-themed song with a circus twist.

I would love to help with this, if you need any! It's kind of what I do, outside of my day job.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
A Scores Man pinball table would be great too.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

scoresman got a tattoo

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I want to play right now!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Smeep posted:

I could send you the VPX file and the music if you want. All you have to do is download Visual Pinball and put the two table files in the proper folder. It's really really unpolished but the core gameplay and table design is there, and most importantly the scoring.

There's no ball or game states yet, so you'd have to keep track of how many balls you've played, but that's about it. It's playable in the current state.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would love to help with this, if you need any! It's kind of what I do, outside of my day job.

Hey, I'm all for a little volunteer work on this unlicensed and unofficial project. I can't make any promises that the finished table will have any of the polish that a proper table would as this is my first foray into table design, but I would definitely put any music to very good use!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Suggested sound effect when your ball gets put into play: High Pitch Mike's "this is now a party!" line.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mehmets victory speech was amazing . Holy lol.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Suggested sound effect when your ball gets put into play: High Pitch Mike's "this is now a party!" line.

I feel like there should be a rotation of "ball start" sfx. Right now it's LETS gently caress SOME WHORES!, but I like this idea as well as the aforementioned ones.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
I'll throw in a request for something Gilbert related:

-Gilbert laughing at a tragic event in the game.
-Gilbert bumper that does his Dice impression.
-Gilbert's HOLY MACKEREL for a bonus.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Something to do with hank. Someone suggested that when the ball went down the out lane that it said...... Something, I forget what. Maybe that one the right, and "go have sex with your mutha" on the left. Or vice versa.

Wackpack bonus.

Whatever, just get a little bit of Hank in there.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I will pay money for this today.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Smeep posted:

You wanna play? I'll play with you

I play hard too

(EWWWOOOOOOOO)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

You wanna play?

ETA: Yes.

I'll play with you

ETA: HELL yes.

I play hard too

ETA: Yes.

(EWWWOOOOOOOO)

FTFY :colbert:

I also think that Hank's "Believe it or not, I have some friends who are gay" should be the audio cue for multiball :smug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That pinball machine idea is really cool. Lots of great ideas here too.

You should try to call in and see if you can get on the show to talk about it. Even though it's unlicensed, they might be decent sports about it and help build a prototype if you donate it for the studio or something.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

If someone's tilts:

"WHAT ARE YOU A HOMO?"

LOVE this one so much.

Everyone is forgetting that good pinball design is about progressions. So I suggest a main target that needs to be hit a number of times, think of the magic box in Theatre Of Magic or the castle gate in Medieval Madness.

There are a serious of different people/wackpackers lit up in a tower, sort of like the ranks in The Sopranos, except that each person is a series of laughs, each one getting longer and more insane. Lets say you need four hits to advance (or spot) the next rank: first 4 Jackie laughs, then 4 Jackie Puppet laughs, 4 Quivers laughs, 4 Betel laughs, 4 Gilbert laughs, 4 Sour Shoes laughs, and finally 4 Ronnie laughs. Or maybe the final rank is Howard? His laughs aren't as iconic , but it would make sense to have him be the final rank before the wizard mode.

And what about the wizard mode?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It may have been mentioned, but the Eric the midget bonus should be Zero. Point. Zero.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
If they progress all the way to the end the final reward should be Gilbert calling the player a homo in dice voice

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
If you get multi ball, it should be High Pitch doing his Casey impersonation, "Baseballs, Basketballs, Pinballs, your balls" or however that goes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Someone already had my idea of having Artie shutting down Eric as a losing sound but I want to toss my vote behind that. "Go gently caress yourself"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

If you get multi ball, it should be High Pitch doing his Casey impersonation, "Baseballs, Basketballs, Pinballs, your balls" or however that goes

FI-YAAHHH!!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Everyone is forgetting that good pinball design is about progressions. So I suggest a main target that needs to be hit a number of times, think of the magic box in Theatre Of Magic or the castle gate in Medieval Madness.

There are a serious of different people/wackpackers lit up in a tower, sort of like the ranks in The Sopranos, except that each person is a series of laughs, each one getting longer and more insane. Lets say you need four hits to advance (or spot) the next rank: first 4 Jackie laughs, then 4 Jackie Puppet laughs, 4 Quivers laughs, 4 Betel laughs, 4 Gilbert laughs, 4 Sour Shoes laughs, and finally 4 Ronnie laughs. Or maybe the final rank is Howard? His laughs aren't as iconic , but it would make sense to have him be the final rank before the wizard mode.

And what about the wizard mode?

You're not wrong about progression. The major limiting factor is my relative inability to code VBScript, which is what Visual Pinball uses to script tables, and that doesn't even touch the real-world equivalents (it's a lot of machine code to control the solenoids and poo poo, Stern Pinball is also now using some C as well in some ROMs I believe). I am not a real pinball designer, just a guy who's spent a lot of quarters. I have to learn to walk before I can run, so I'm trying to keep the whole thing within the scope of what I can reasonably actually produce. Progression is a really really good thing, but it also exponentially increases the difficulty in programming.

I think that defeating Wack Packers all the way up to Howard is definitely the way to go in terms of progression, then it just comes down to how many targets and combo shots I can fit on the table.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What's this about progression in pinball games? I don't know anything on the subject but is there a video somewhere that you guys can post that describes classic pinball tables and how to ''win'' them?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Odddzy posted:

What's this about progression in pinball games? I don't know anything on the subject but is there a video somewhere that you guys can post that describes classic pinball tables and how to ''win'' them?

It's all table specific. Look up any major movie pre-1998 and they probably made a pinball table for it. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show you a full tutorial on each table, I highly recommend anything by Bowen Kerins, a 3-time world champion who uploads a fuckton of tutorials. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXFzn4uzGQ

I just met Bowen in person at a pinball club I go to. His mind is loving crazy. He can hit any shot on any table at will. Watching him play almost makes me demotivated to get better.

Also, if the pinball derail is getting to severe, just let me know and I can stop. But the idea of a Stern table was just too good not to post about here

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Is there even a pinball thread? Somewhere in games maybe?

Might be a cool idea if there isn't one.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
theres a 6000000 page pinball megathread somewhere im sure

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

It's all table specific. Look up any major movie pre-1998 and they probably made a pinball table for it. There are tons of videos on YouTube that show you a full tutorial on each table, I highly recommend anything by Bowen Kerins, a 3-time world champion who uploads a fuckton of tutorials. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlXFzn4uzGQ

I just met Bowen in person at a pinball club I go to. His mind is loving crazy. He can hit any shot on any table at will. Watching him play almost makes me demotivated to get better.

Also, if the pinball derail is getting to severe, just let me know and I can stop. But the idea of a Stern table was just too good not to post about here

Thanks for the info man. It's true that guy really seems like he can do anything he wants with that table.

I don't think pinball is derailing too bad. If Artie dies or something interesting happens on the show we would be talking about it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Odddzy posted:

The most I ever learned about pinball was from this vid I watched from last year. I'm linking it cause I really dug the vid and it's well paced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grq3wSudm_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This is infinitely better than the last derail.

beep by grandpa posted:

The most I ever learned about pinball was from this vid I watched from last year. I'm linking it cause I really dug the vid and it's well paced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grq3wSudm_Y

Funhaus fan? That's loving Don! He's an editor for FH.

If for some reason you aren't then I think you'd love their stuff and Don guest stars now and then, too!