Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Skilbs posted:

Speaking of digitals suits, I work at Framestore and we just released our breakdowns for Ragnarok.

https://youtu.be/TGCLyeqlsZI

I sometimes feel bad for the people who make all the costumes only for us to just replace/redesign everything anyway.

Are you privvy to how early some decisions were made? The effects in the film are great but I was really disappointed in how they changed the sky in Ragnarok. It being just a thin layer of atmosphere and clouds before it faded into a star-filled sky in the earlier films was one of the coolest aspects of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wonder if the suit lights up. The yellow of the lightning bolt and the yellow slits on the gold wristbands might be there for post production.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Are you privvy to how early some decisions were made? The effects in the film are great but I was really disappointed in how they changed the sky in Ragnarok. It being just a thin layer of atmosphere and clouds before it faded into a star-filled sky in the earlier films was one of the coolest aspects of it.

I co-ordinated the environment and DMP team for a few months. I am not sure entirely how much info I am actually able to give, space is visible behind the clouds but it is more out at the edge of the disk, the majority of shots are facing north towards the tower or east or west so it is not really visible. The more overcast Asgard was probably done so calling the storm and the dark sky during the Surtur sequence was not as jarring.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skilbs posted:

Speaking of digitals suits, I work at Framestore and we just released our breakdowns for Ragnarok.

I sometimes feel bad for the people who make all the costumes only for us to just replace/redesign everything anyway.

I get using a CG suit, but what was the issue with Cate Blanchett's actual shoulders?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that was the weirdest part to me, it seems like everything should've been an actual costume apart from the headpiece.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

It is easier to stick a face on a CG model and blend it there than to try and match the shoulders, that would require a lot more work. We have experience with sticking faces onto things from Gravity.

The thing I am not completely sure about is why Val got a CG loin cloth.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does your team have much experience in removing mustaches from actors? I know someone that needs a little help with that.

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

A friend of mine was an animator on JL. He claims that some of the images used to point out the terrible removal job are actually not shots where the moustache was removed digitally. No one believes him and I think he is just trying to make himself feel better.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Then what were they doing? Are those just terrible shots in post? Did whedon gently caress them up for consistency, which would be hilarious?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The studio, instead of doing additive digital effects like giving Supes a beard, wanted subtractive digital effects, and gave FX houses like three months to do it over what was like a major chunk of the back half of the movie. Subtractive FX work on faces - especially when they didn't particularly center a lot of work during reshoots on prepping the mustache for the removal - is incredibly difficult because uncanny valley poo poo is real easy to fall into there, and on top of that, Whedon isn't a particularly experienced guy when it comes to shooting big FX shots in the way, say, Snyder is.

On top of that it appears only the footage from reshoots was sent for rendering out the mustache, but they kept numerous shots, close-ups of Cavill even, from Snyder's original production in the final cut, so Supes will go from having a five-o-clock shadow on his upper lip to being a wax figure and back again in the course of a few cuts, making the work stand out even more and look even worse because it's literally going "here's his real face, now here's the digitally touched face, here's his real face again" as though you're not going to notice any differences.

Basically big project, zero time, ill preparation, lots of money burned.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Skilbs posted:

I had almost forgotten how much I hated that loving rock dude. Ugh.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Like how he looked visually or his characterization, because I liked the mousey and quiet warrior revolutionary

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just how he undercut the significance of every important scene he was in with a lovely joke.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
No Mark Strong hairpiece in Shazam!

How come, Chief Willoughby?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thor 3 is a giant comedy and that rock dude loving owns. The Asgard stuff actually drags the movie down.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I laughed out loud when they let hulk smash Thor like they did. Oh man i love that part in planet hulk, when beta ray bill is like, no wait, we're cool now! And hulk doesn't stop. Would've been better as a full blown planet hulk movie, i just want to see the real hulk smashing with Tessa Thompson.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

only in this place could someone hate the best part of that movie.

Vintersorg posted:

Thor 3 is a giant comedy and that rock dude loving owns. The Asgard stuff actually drags the movie down.

yeah wish the whole thing had been on goldblum's planet (also needed more of him).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The foundations joke should have been cut but the rest were fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The foundations joke was the best one.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah this was the only one where I felt the tonal whiplash was too much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Rock guy was too transparent a Director Favorite for me to really like him even before I found out he was literally the director.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Black Panther just made $1 billion and is the 9th highest grossing film in US history.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The Rock guy was too transparent a Director Favorite for me to really like him even before I found out he was literally the director.

I'm glad he could explain, at length, the significance of Thor's hammer being destroyed. I would not have figured that out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

S.J. posted:

I'm glad he could explain, at length, the significance of Thor's hammer being destroyed. I would not have figured that out.

I don’t think you really understand humour.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

have you not seen what we do in the shadows?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I don’t think you really understand humour.

Oh please. I found a lot of stuff funny in the movie, just not that guy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

S.J. posted:

Oh please. I found a lot of stuff funny in the movie, just not that guy.

And yet you fault that line for being unnecessary exposition when that’s entirely not the point of it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Phylodox posted:

And yet you fault that line for being unnecessary exposition when that’s entirely not the point of it.

It doesn't have to be the point to be unnecessary, but okay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skilbs posted:

This alarms me since it seems to imply that Cate Blanchett doesn't exist. Or, if she does, she's just a disembodied head.

Also, it's nice to have it confirmed that the fight scenes are just dudes flailing at empty air. It does explain why none of them feel like fights.

S.J. posted:

Just how he undercut the significance of every important scene he was in with a lovely joke.

That's the fun Marvel way. Don't you like jokes? Not everything has to be serious.

In fact, nothing can ever be serious. Or sincere. Go see our next film.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the fun Marvel way. Don't you like jokes? Not everything has to be serious.

In fact, nothing can ever be serious. Or sincere. Go see our next film.

See, this bugs me, because there's plenty of stuff in the exact same film that, although I didn't like it, didn't disengage me from the film. And I say that knowing about the director's style of humor, but that scene was way out of whack even in the context of a movie that was consistently reminding the audience of it's 'movieness' and ridiculousness.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Honestly, the thing I'm wondering about with Shazam is how much interest in it is from the often really odd comics and how much is from the 70's TV show. Or how much interest there is even at all.

Sounds dumb to say but for a lot of folks, the TV show is all they know about him and I'm not exaggerating when I say that in the mid 70's, Shazam was as popular and "cool" as just about any superhero; at least from my small anecdotal sample of kids who wore towels for capes and argued about who was gonna be who. Lots of us wanted to be Shazam and the TV show was a big part of it.

Come to think of it...that TV show...pretty sure that's the last and ONLY only time Captain Marvel's been brought to the screen that wasn't animated. I could be wrong. Tonally, there's so many different ways you can approach this film and any number of them could work so I'm intrigued and could see it being a sleeper hit. Or a total bomb.

That outfit is loving tight though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Thing is even after the franchise was deliberately tanked by DC's legal action because they wanted Superman to be the #1 superhero again, Captain Marvel remained popular and remembered by his old fans, and attracted a lot of interest whenever he shows up in newer stuff. It's simply a great concept; making the child's fantasy part of superheroes relevant by having him be a literal child who takes on a full-grown alter ego. The crazy magical poo poo around it adds to it, and the costume is just a classic; Elvis Presley himself based his iconic look on Captain Marvel Jr.

Helps that DC has more or less played to his similarities to (and differences from) Superman, playing up the magical elements and naivety compared to Superman becoming more world-weary and sci-fi oriented, and as shown in the Justice League cartoon, he makes an excellent contrast when Superman and the other adult heroes are starting to go off the deep end, and in Young Justice, an interesting bridge between the worlds of the older and younger heroes. (at one point a bit literally due to magical shenanigans)

Done right, Shazam absolutely lends itself to a successful modern superhero movie with broad appeal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

S.J. posted:

It doesn't have to be the point to be unnecessary, but okay.

It’s a fun joke and a nifty bit of character building. How are either of those things unnecessary?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Come to think of it...that TV show...pretty sure that's the last and ONLY only time Captain Marvel's been brought to the screen that wasn't animated. I could be wrong. Tonally, there's so many different ways you can approach this film and any number of them could work so I'm intrigued and could see it being a sleeper hit. Or a total bomb.
There were serials back in the day.

To your broader point, I don't think that a big fanbase is all that important. Black Panther spent fifty some years on the C-list and is now a cultural milestone. And while you can use the general Marvel movie machine as the reason behind that, it's worth remembering that said machine started with B-list characters.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder how they’re going to market Shazam to get audiences actually interested. What percentage of people under 30 outside of the comic book community even know who Shazam is?

How do they sell him as interesting and different?

As someone who knows jack poo poo about Shazam, he appears to be a wannabe Superman and a bland white dude. Neither inspires me to learn more.

Not trying to be antagonistic, just generally curious how this will be handled.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder how they’re going to market Shazam to get audiences actually interested. What percentage of people under 30 outside of the comic book community even know who Shazam is?

As someone who knows jack poo poo about Shazam, he appears to be a wannabe Superman and a bland white dude. Neither inspires me to learn more.

I imagine the thing to play up would be the transformation from Batson to Marvel; that childhood fantasy of being an adult is the key difference from Superman.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
A Shazam movie should kind of feel like an 80s Spielberg movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It’s Big plus Superman. They’re not going to have a problem selling it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Timeless Appeal posted:

There were serials back in the day.

To your broader point, I don't think that a big fanbase is all that important. Black Panther spent fifty some years on the C-list and is now a cultural milestone. And while you can use the general Marvel movie machine as the reason behind that, it's worth remembering that said machine started with B-list characters.

Great points actually. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Mordiceius posted:

Curious myself but reasonably confident that pretty much everybody knows who Shazam is.

I think the "interesting and different" element is the aspect of the little boy wish fulfillment where he says "I wish I could fly and was big and strong!" then he meets a wizard who grants his wish, combined with the often weird universe, goofy characters and magic elements. Writing it that way makes me think that Spielberg could really pull it off. I'm imagining it being done in a way that's similar to some of his work.

I think it's gonna be a lot of fun but I said the same thing about Green Lantern and FF and could easily see it going that way too.

edit:

Timeless Appeal posted:

A Shazam movie should kind of feel like an 80s Spielberg movie.

Beaten

Sir Kodiak posted:

It’s Big plus Superman. They’re not going to have a problem selling it.

Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I have a feeling they're likely to distance Shazam from the rest of the DCEU, which would be a shame, I think. Part of the fun of Shazam as a DC property is his interactions with other superheroes, like I said before. Batman sees something of a kindred spirit, while there's famously that comic where Superman is shocked when he finds out Shazam's true identity, and immediately flies off to chew out the wizard for putting that burden on a child.