Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

It is one of my favorite sports events ever. I was on the phone with my dad watching live talking about how it sucked to lose and then......magic happened

My parents had a wedding that day and my dad convinced my mom to let him watch the game in a nearby hotel. He missed the entire ceremony and cocktail hour because it was like a 4 hour game and he was about to leave when it happened. He actually called me screaming in excitement 30 seconds ahead of my stream so it was spoiled for me slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ElwoodCuse posted:

Do you have any idea how much swearing that would pick up?

Works for noted saints, Rugby Union

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes networks and advertisers would love every sports broadcast turning into an early 80s Eddie Murphy routine

Let's show people being blown up and shot every night on the news but god forbid you hear a baseball player say "holy poo poo"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Works for noted saints, Rugby Union

then it either wasn't live or wasn't always on

Peanut President posted:

Let's show people being blown up and shot every night on the news but god forbid you hear a baseball player say "holy poo poo"

do you really not see how networks and advertisers would take different approaches to what they would allow shown on TV news vs sports?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The FCC would have kittens, considering there are, you know, long-standing broadcast rules regarding "indecency."

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

You guys know all this poo poo is on a 7 second delay so they can bleep that right

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

The FCC would have kittens, considering there are, you know, long-standing broadcast rules regarding "indecency."

That SCOTUS ruled unconstitutional.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

That SCOTUS ruled unconstitutional.

Uh?

The FCC's power over broadcasts and "indecency" are the entire reason it still has a public form to which people can submit complaints.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Uh?

The FCC's power over broadcasts and "indecency" are the entire reason it still has a public form to which people can submit complaints.

Over the air, sure. On cable channels, no.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ElwoodCuse posted:

do you really not see how networks and advertisers would take different approaches to what they would allow shown on TV news vs sports?

If there is ever a time in my life that I give one single gently caress about advertisers I'll eat a shotgun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Over the air, sure. On cable channels, no.

No one ever mentioned cable.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Timby posted:

No one ever mentioned cable.

No one mentioned broadcast television either. The only thing mentioned was the major 4 sports. Only one of which has the majority of its games on broadcast tv. Probably 90% of MLB/NHL/NBA games air on cable only.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

Uh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_v._Fox_Television_Stations,_Inc._(2012)

It's a gray area, really.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/racismfactory/status/972999556043550721?s=21

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Peanut President posted:

If there is ever a time in my life that I give one single gently caress about advertisers I'll eat a shotgun.

Advertisers are literally (literally) the only reason anything at all is aired on television

You should give at least a single gently caress because without them every single sport would be either un-viewable on any device or require an insanely expensive direct-stream subscription

Without advertising there aren't professional sports

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Advertisers are literally (literally) the only reason anything at all is aired on television

You should give at least a single gently caress because without them every single sport would be either un-viewable on any device or require an insanely expensive direct-stream subscription

I think most people realize that it's necessary in the way things are set up in this day and age. That doesn't mean you have to like it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/973281427147186182
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/973302623414632448

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
they never mention bananaphone

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Waffles Inc. posted:

The only reason advertising is required for televised sports is because the leagues demand more money every contract from the TV Companies. The TV Companies have to sell ads in order to make it back (and make their own money). It's not required by God's own word, and the trend can be reversed pretty simply.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Peanut President posted:

The only reason advertising is required for televised sports is because the leagues demand more money every contract from the TV Companies. The TV Companies have to sell ads in order to make it back (and make their own money). It's not required by God's own word, and the trend can be reversed pretty simply.
The trend will be reversed by having banner ads run continuously at the bottom of the screen.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crazy Ted posted:

The trend will be reversed by having banner ads run continuously at the bottom of the screen.

The trend won't be reversed, I'm just saying it's not impossible.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Why would stations stop selling ads even if they got rights for free?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

National treasure

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ESPN has the pieces of a very cool and good network, mostly centered around people who go on HQ.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

pseudodragon posted:

Why would stations stop selling ads even if they got rights for free?

Maybe in a freak accident someone who's not a turbocunt runs the network?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peanut President posted:

Maybe in a freak accident someone who's not a turbocunt runs the network?

So, what, they'd just eat the costs of their programming and payroll?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
There are people on this planet who don't like DLHQ and I will never understand them

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

There are people on this planet who don't like DLHQ and I will never understand them

I completely understand if the humor isn't to someone else's taste. What I don't get is the need to get angry about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anals of History posted:

I completely understand if the humor isn't to someone else's taste. What I don't get is the need to get angry about it.

Here's a hint:

dog whistles

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The reason I don’t watch Highly Questionable is because I never liked it when LeBatard sat in on PTI.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don’t watch it because I only watch ESPN for live sports and documentaries.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I don't watch it because gently caress giving ESPN ratings.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

exploded mummy posted:

I don't watch it because gently caress giving ESPN ratings.

do you watch games on ESPN? Those are the ratings they actually care about, the rest is filler

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

They probably also like Duke basketball.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Edward Mass posted:

The reason I don’t watch Highly Questionable is because I never liked it when LeBatard sat in on PTI.

There are people who don't like Doug Stanhope because he "ruined the Man Show." They're also wrong.

MourningView posted:

do you watch games on ESPN? Those are the ratings they actually care about, the rest is filler

Yeah, I don't really watch it anymore because I don't have cable, but I would bet a large sum of money that those ratings matter more to DLB than to ESPN

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

i didn't like him at first but he grew on me

it's just it seems like it's not that much different from the longer-running shows that air after it

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Any other Chicago listeners confused by whatever the gently caress 670 the score is doing?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

no

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you don't have a ratings box or diary and aren't watching online you probably aren't actually giving them ratings anyway, if that makes you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fishing with the fam posted:

Any other Chicago listeners confused by whatever the gently caress 670 the score is doing?

yes

Matt and Jason are two of my favorite hosts, Parkins was growing on me, and Dan is both good and bad

gently caress Dan McNeil forever though.

So yeah, I know my radio.com listen probably doesn't mean much, and I actually like Connor McKnight, but I haven't listened since I found out Goff was being let go.