Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twin Cinema posted:

Had to work during the Goon auction draft today and the AI drafted the worst possible team for me (my fault for not setting prices). For some reason, it didn't use $101 of the $260 budget. It waited until the 65th pick to draft someone (Justin Turner for $20).

My team is such poo poo. Enjoy the free wins!

If it makes you feel better, at least you can blame yahoo instead of yourself for an awful draft.

I know my team will ultimately be fine because for some reason everyone let's me do the same dumb (yet ultimately successful) strategy every year but I feel like I hosed up more than one non-pick

Here is my team if anyone wants to marvel in my stupidity:

7x7 14 teams, standard 5x5 + OPB, SLG, K/BB, and OBPA

no, I did not make a mistake when cropping that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
If I were you I'd pretend it was an auto draft.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

If I were you I'd pretend it was an auto draft.

I'll still finish top 4 tbh, barring major injuries

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

If it makes you feel better, at least you can blame yahoo instead of yourself for an awful draft.

I know my team will ultimately be fine because for some reason everyone let's me do the same dumb (yet ultimately successful) strategy every year but I feel like I hosed up more than one non-pick

Here is my team if anyone wants to marvel in my stupidity:

7x7 14 teams, standard 5x5 + OPB, SLG, K/BB, and OBPA

no, I did not make a mistake when cropping that

My team is rear end. I went in with doing zero prep because I've got some family stuff going on.

C- Molina
1b- Abreu
2B-Cano
3b- Machado
SS- Javy Baez
OF- Blackmon
OF- Bryant
OF- Altherr
UtL- Pujols
UTL- Deshields
BN- Brantley
BN- Candelario
BN- Almora

SP- Grienke
SP- Nola
RP- Barraclaugh
RP- Alex Claudio
P- Felix Hernandez
P- CC Sabathia
P- Paxton
P- Faria
BN- Estrada
BN- Jimmy Nelson

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll still finish top 4 tbh, barring major injuries

I am surprised no one has adopted your strategy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twin Cinema posted:

I am surprised no one has adopted your strategy.

At least one other team has since like halfway through my first season I think. Forget which one.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what’s the strategy? no catcher?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Abel Wingnut posted:

what’s the strategy? no catcher?

it looks to be a poo poo ton of RP to nail down four pitching categories and a bunch of mashers to punt stolen bases

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

it looks to be a poo poo ton of RP to nail down four pitching categories and a bunch of mashers to punt stolen bases

Five pitching cats, but yes. And two aces so I hit the innings minimum without torpedoing my ratios.

I didn't draft a catcher because I have a couple players that are gonna be on the DL and I wanted my SP eligible relievers, and the ones left are more or less the same at this point so I'll just grab whoever's left when the roster moves happen

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 12, 2018

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
counted ratios, forgot saves :downs:

I do the same thing in my 7x7 so I recognized it pretty quickly

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, that makes sense for h2h.

has anyone ever successfully punted a category in roto and won? seems near impossible unless you strike gold on like three pickups/sleepers

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Snagged the #3 overall slot in my big money redraft league, so that's nice.

Abel Wingnut posted:

yea, that makes sense for h2h.

has anyone ever successfully punted a category in roto and won? seems near impossible unless you strike gold on like three pickups/sleepers

I'm talking mostly out of my rear end here since I've only ever played H2H but I feel like if you're somebody who follows baseball closely, you can afford to take low-end closers at the draft to keep your head above water, and pick up one of the several guys who always step up midseason.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
We talking punting in the draft or punting all season?

Saves can definitely be punted in the draft. Every year I give another strategy a try but picking up saves during the season is tried and true

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Just joined a league that uses yahoo. Am I blind or is there no app for iOS. Never been in a yahoo baseball league before

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

the_american_dream posted:

Just joined a league that uses yahoo. Am I blind or is there no app for iOS. Never been in a yahoo baseball league before

Yahoo has one fantasy app for everything. It's called Yahoo fantasy football and more

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ah thanks

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

A goon is in! We have 11 teams!

Keeper league and it's a $50 buy-in ROTO.

https://baseball.fantasysports.yaho...e4727b0f12be2ba

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Got roped into a category based h2h league thats way different than the points leagues im used to. Im assuming this is the type of league where the "gently caress pitching" sentiments here come from.

Im guessing I can just sort fangraphs and draft accordingly with this scoring?

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

Any draft strategy recs would be appreciated :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Got roped into a category based h2h league thats way different than the points leagues im used to. Im assuming this is the type of league where the "gently caress pitching" sentiments here come from.

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Walks (BB), Batting Average (AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Losses (L), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

What an awful set of categories.

I'm not even sure what to recommend. Is there a weekly/season limit on roster moves? Also how many teams are there?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
:lol: yea i wish i had enough time to back out.

12 teams daily
100 acquisition limit on the season no max on the week. Minimum 30 innings pitched

Roster breakdown: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, NA

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’m not under the illusion that we have more than like 5 percent effect on how good our team is but it seems like that scoring brings it right down to 0. I’d love to be wrong but it looks like I just take a generic adp sort it and set autodraft

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:lol: yea i wish i had enough time to back out.

12 teams daily
100 acquisition limit on the season no max on the week. Minimum 30 innings pitched

Roster breakdown: SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Oh my god it got worse.

Alright, here's what I'd do in that league: Draft Votto in the first or second (if you think you can get away with it) and then load up on elite SPs for the next few rounds. Votto will help a ton in every cat but steals (and give you a huge leg up in BBs every week) and having the best frontline rotation in the league will give you a good chance to win six of the seven pitching cats. I'd also try to get three closers so you can have an advantage there as well.

100 acquisitions gives you a decent look at streaming, but play matchups early in weeks and then either go hog wild or hold steady late in weeks depending on how your studs did for you.

Obviously this all falls apart if your first few rounds don't go well :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Why on earth do you need both hits and BA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicollinearity

edit - that said, sell out everything to draft Altuve

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Votto or Altuve then all the arms got it.

Thanks y’all. It’ll be interesting

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I completely skimmed past "hits" being a stat but yeah, Altuve with an early pick, Votto with a late pick.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

First draft of the year in a few hours. Had a tough time picking 3 keepers, this team was very good last year. Went with Kershaw, Judge, and Gary. Sucks not being able to keep Bryant or Seager but IMO Judge has a higher ceiling than either.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Anyone have a non-keeper league I can join? Preferably roto but I'll take whatever.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

so apparently I had a goon draft that I didn't know about because I forgot to update my email address with Yahoo.

Mookie Butts is really sorry guys :ohdear:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

edit: nevermind, got the league filled.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 19, 2018

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Well, that sure was.... something.

12 team H2H Points league

Runs (R) 2
Hits (H) 0.5
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 2
Stolen Bases (SB) 2

Wins (W) 5
Saves (SV) 5
Earned Runs (ER) -0.5
Innings Pitched (IP) 1
Strikeouts (K) 2

I decided to load up on pitching which I NEVER do, so this draft was really different. My offense is kind of meh.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
This is what I ended up with in the same league.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
code:
3	Nolan Arenado, Col 3B  
22	George Springer, Hou OF  
27	Jacob deGrom, NYM SP  
46	Starling Marte, Pit OF  
51	Willson Contreras, ChC C  
70	Elvis Andrus, Tex SS  
75	DJ LeMahieu, Col 2B  
94	Felipe Rivero, Pit RP  
99	Matt Carpenter, StL 1B  
118	Cody Allen, Cle RP  
123	Jay Bruce, NYM OF  
142	Trevor Bauer, Cle SP  
147	Kevin Kiermaier, TB OF  
166	Jon Gray, Col SP  
171	Bradley Zimmer, Cle OF  
190	Matt Chapman, Oak 3B  
195	Lance Lynn, Min SP  
214	Jose Peraza, Cin SS  
219	Tim Anderson, CWS SS  
238	Jordan Montgomery, NYY SP  
243	Sean Manaea, Oak SP  
262	Chris Devenski, Hou RP  
267	Chris Owings, Ari SS  
286	Ryon Healy, Sea 3B  
291	Aaron Altherr, Phi OF  
Meh, I'm pretty happy with it I guess? I feel like I got a real steal with Allen there.

If I could go back I wouldn't have bothered with Peraza.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Peraza. He's okay at that pick.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That Goon League, HGH and Centaur Paintings

quote:

FOSTERS CHUGGERS
2 Charlie Blackmon, Col OF K
12 Jacob deGrom, NYM SP K
22 Xander Bogaerts, Bos SS K
32 Chris Sale, Bos SP
49 Buster Posey, SF C
52 Rafael Devers, Bos 3B
69 Chris Taylor, LAD 2B
72 Aroldis Chapman, NYY RP
89 Roberto Osuna, Tor RP
92 Edwin Diaz, Sea RP
109 Matt Carpenter, StL 1B
112 Jake Arrieta, Phi SP
129 Kyle Schwarber, ChC OF
132 Gio Gonzalez, Wsh SP
149 Greg Bird, NYY 1B
152 Ender Inciarte, Atl OF
169 Taijuan Walker, Ari SP
172 Hector Neris, Phi RP
189 Aaron Sanchez, Tor SP
192 Cole Hamels, Tex SP
209 Jose Peraza, Cin SS
212 Mitch Haniger, Sea OF
229 Yangervis Solarte, Tor SS

I think I'll need another OF, have pitching to trade!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

blackmon at 2?!?!?!?!?!?

is that an auction draft?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

blackmon at 2?!?!?!?!?!?

The first three are Keepers.

EDIT: And I'm assuming they're not directly correlated to picks and it's just a way of handling them right at the outset otherwise yes please explain.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 19, 2018

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I barely watch baseball anymore so I picked some big names with late picks but I noticed some quality guys in waivers and I'm wondering if I should make some swaps. I drafted Harvey, Pujols, and Josh Harrison who all seem pretty expendable. In waivers I see Felix Hernandez, Mike Clevinger, Roark, Andrelton Simmons, and Zack Cozart. Thoughts?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

schweens posted:

I barely watch baseball anymore so I picked some big names with late picks but I noticed some quality guys in waivers and I'm wondering if I should make some swaps. I drafted Harvey, Pujols, and Josh Harrison who all seem pretty expendable. In waivers I see Felix Hernandez, Mike Clevinger, Roark, Andrelton Simmons, and Zack Cozart. Thoughts?

I would take Clevinger (and probably Roark) over anybody you mentioned (I have no faith in Harvey until he shows it on the field.) Simmons and Cozart depends on who you already have at SS/3B and how much you believe their 2017s.

Definitely get rid of Pujols though, definitely 100%.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 19, 2018

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Inspector_666 posted:

I would take Clevinger (and probably Roark) over anybody you mentioned (I have no faith in Harvey until he shows it on the field.) Simmons and Cozart depends on who you already have at SS/3B.

Definitely get rid of Pujols though, definitely 100%.

I have DeJong at SS and Machado at 3B. Only bench guys I have for either are Eduardo Nunez at both and Harrison at 3rd.

I put in a claim for Clevinger dropping Harvey. I'll probably drop Pujols for Simmons. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

The first three are Keepers.

EDIT: And I'm assuming they're not directly correlated to picks and it's just a way of handling them right at the outset otherwise yes please explain.

Yeah HGH and Centaur has mandatory three keepers, then it snakes.

• Locked thread