Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sarcopenia posted:

Aaah finally the recaps of The Office have stopped...
:knope:

That's what she said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Tom because he was so earnest in his douchiness that it became entertaining. And every other character is aware of his antics but they view him as entertaining too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then he essentially guilts Rashida Jones into a relationship

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Calaveron posted:

And then he essentially guilts Rashida Jones into a relationship

Yeah this is where poo poo got kinda stupid. They seemed to not know what to do with Ann other than keep her as the relationship pushover until she inevitably got back with Chris

Thankfully they continuously pointed out how stupid it was, but it was still awkward and awful

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Clam Chowdown posted:

I'll give you the rest of the post, but why wouldn't we be mad at the Fonz here? Tom had a legitimately good idea that he turned into a successful business, and then a rich white dude steals the idea and ruins him. And he does it because his kids are mad that Tom dumped them because they were dragging him down.

Because Tom is a selfish prick who deserves to suffer.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tom getting thrown through a bookcase is one of the greatest pieces of physical comedy I’ve ever seen. Also Entertaiment 720 rules.

By a gleefully cackling Megan Mullally no less. The Tammy's were always fun.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Lord Sexatron posted:

That's the joke. He's constantly treated like poo poo but has a wonderful family and personal life, while packing some serious heat.

The Office had a similar joke going with Toby, except I guess they slowly revealed that he's a loser and his life is terrible. It wasn't funny on either show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was one episode where Jerry yelled at someone for being pretentious while doing a burger taste test and I think that was the only time I laughed at Jerry.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think every sitcom has the funny unlikeable comedic relief who the writers try to turn into an actual character as seasons go by.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mu Zeta posted:

There was one episode where Jerry yelled at someone for being pretentious while doing a burger taste test and I think that was the only time I laughed at Jerry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84nfWkLsYU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

FELD1 posted:

By a gleefully cackling Megan Mullally no less. The Tammy's were always fun.

Lucy Lawless saying her middle name was Tammy when they were getting married might be the greatest joke of the whole series.

gamey
May 17, 2009
The All In The Family episode where Edith almost got raped. She isn't even that hot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gamey posted:

The All In The Family episode where Edith almost got raped. She isn't even that hot.

This post immediately hasn't aged well

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, the whole thing was that it's actually an interesting sequence because the audience don't know what the hell to do - should they find the verbal jokes funny (like Edith pathetically trying to placate him with coffee is obviously written like a joke), or should they find the impending threat worrying because the motions/body language make what's about to happen clear and are being played seriously? They are reduced to a pathetic nervous chuckle followed by absolute discomfort and that in and of itself is worth the price of a poorly thought out scene. The silly sitcom has just elicited a reaction way more profound than they were expecting going in.

It's like the Jerry Lewis movie The Day the Clown Cried, just the perfect storm of "How did no one involved catch how awkward this would be, or was the awkwardness intentional?" and every idea involved being a bad one.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Mar 10, 2018

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

purple death ray posted:

This post immediately hasn't aged well

I was working on a much longer reply but you nailed it in one, thank you for this.

BioEnchanted also describes the feeling well. It’s a deeply uncomfortable scene to watch; the audience reaction to how Edith finally evades the rapist is one of biggest in the history of the show, just an explosive release of tension. As I recall Lear consulted with a rape crisis center and previewed the episode to hospitals and police stations, I’d love to know what the initial reaction was.

Since we’re on All in the Family one of my favorite episodes is The Games Bunkers Play, one with very little Archie and instead more focused on Mike and his lack of self-reflection. The group (including their interfaith DINK neighbors the Lorenzos, Lionel Jefferson and his girlfriend, Gloria, and Edith) play a fictional board game called Group Therapy that challenges their beliefs and puts forth what-would-you-do situations. Mike is revealed to be pretty fragile about his liberal leanings when confronted with a game, taking it personality when he recognizes he’s just as bigoted and hard-headed as Archie in some respects.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lord Sexatron posted:

That's the joke. He's constantly treated like poo poo but has a wonderful family and personal life, while packing some serious heat.

The best joke is Gayle in the future at Gary's funeral just being Christie Brinkley with everyone else aged up and Ben drooling over her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't call All in the Family just a silly sitcom. It probably dealt openly with more real issues than just about any show, certainly at the time.

Also, gently caress that Trumpy rape post

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I wouldn't call All in the Family just a silly sitcom. It probably dealt openly with more real issues than just about any show, certainly at the time.

I think the main thing about All in the Family now is that it's part of the TV philosophy that shows could be used to explore deep social issues and be more relevant to audience's lives outside of just entertainment. And that philosophy over the last few decades eventually gave us shows with more freedom to tell stories but also gave us the hilarity pitfall that was Very Special Episodes that also shows TV sucks as an educational medium since the dividing line between 'entertainment' and 'education' is not very well defined.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Bloop posted:

A couple of standout episodes:

"Judging Books By Covers" - Archie thinks Mike's effeminate college friend is gay while Mike suspects Archie's macho football playing buddy is not what he seems.

"The Draft Dodger" - Mike's draft-dodging friend comes down from Canada for Christmas dinner with the Bunkers along with Archie's Army buddy whose son was killed in Vietnam.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

londonarbuckle posted:

The Office had a similar joke going with Toby, except I guess they slowly revealed that he's a loser and his life is terrible. It wasn't funny on either show.

it was awesome as hell that Jerry's home life was amazing and that his whole family was loving, beautiful people

thats a super funny, good joke how can anybody not like it

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Mister Kingdom posted:

A couple of standout episodes:

"Judging Books By Covers" - Archie thinks Mike's effeminate college friend is gay while Mike suspects Archie's macho football playing buddy is not what he seems.

"The Draft Dodger" - Mike's draft-dodging friend comes down from Canada for Christmas dinner with the Bunkers along with Archie's Army buddy whose son was killed in Vietnam.

If you've never seen "The Draft Dodger" episode, it has aged extremely well.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Tumble posted:

it was awesome as hell that Jerry's home life was amazing and that his whole family was loving, beautiful people

thats a super funny, good joke how can anybody not like it

I don't know if I watched far enough into the series to see episodes that showed his family, maybe those were funny. The everyone-hating-Jerry running joke sucked in the episodes I saw it in.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

londonarbuckle posted:

I don't know if I watched far enough into the series to see episodes that showed his family, maybe those were funny. The everyone-hating-Jerry running joke sucked in the episodes I saw it in.

It starts out with him just the resident punching bag but as the series went on it showed him to be a real buffoon, messing up office work and having to do everything twice, falling in a river trying to get a burrito he dropped, but his life turned out to be amazing despite that. I'm sure we've all known this type of guy at some point in our lives, some happy-go-lucky halfwit who fails upwards and just has a carefree attitude towards life. gently caress that guy, is the joke.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Part of the joke is that people didn’t know about his amazing home life and treated him like poo poo
The jokes were Chris says he will have sex with his daughter and Jerry’s all come on dude that’s fine but you don’t have to tell me were amazing though, same as the fact that in the end Jerry was mayor of Pawnee many many times

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the Jerry thing started boring but they quickly realized 'wait, if we make him a nice but kinda dumb guy then there's actual reason for everyone to dunk on him but still explains why no one actually seems to HATE him' and then they added 'oh but also what if he had a really hot wife and super nice and pretty daughters and they all love and respect him at home' to make it not just a parade of him getting slammed. They even had a whole episode where the people who make fun of him the most wind up outside looking in to his family christmas party with everyone having a great time and the payoff is of course he invited them too but they flagged all his emails as spam because he's annoying.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Also, Jerry was just an oaf, he wasn't incompetent at his job. He loved public service.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
All in the Family is the greatest sitcom of all time and holds up perfectly fine.

It tackled issues in ways that 99% of other shows have never come close to, usually in a very mature, funny, nuanced and well written way. Sure, Archie is the butt of most of the jokes but they poo poo on Mike too and show his hypocrisy a lot.

It was the first show I recall ever tacking homosexuality, racism, interracial dating, war, gentrification, divorce, birth control, feminism, transvestism, and, yeah, rape. They even addressed terrorism. I don't think the rape episode was played for laughs at all. I saw it as a kid and recall being really scared actually.

LOTS of talent on that show too. Carrol O'Conner, Jean Stapleton and Rob Reiner are loving fantastic.

I won't listen to bad word said about All in the Family.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I won't listen to bad word said about All in the Family.

I agree with everything you said.

I've been thinking about how Family Guy was almost certainly conceived as an homage to All in the Family with Peter being a loveable jerk, Lois having a noticably funny accent and going "Peetah!" the way Edith would yell "Ooh, Aachee" and Brian being the live-in liberal who points out Peter's gently caress ups and faux pas while being a bit arrogant and non introspective about his own biases.

It's not a perfect match, but it's there, right down to the piano intro.

This may be absurdly obvious or already officially confirmed or debunked, I've never read anything about it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I agree with everything you said.

I've been thinking about how Family Guy was almost certainly conceived as an homage to All in the Family with Peter being a loveable jerk, Lois having a noticably funny accent and going "Peetah!" the way Edith would yell "Ooh, Aachee" and Brian being the live-in liberal who points out Peter's gently caress ups and faux pas while being a bit arrogant and non introspective about his own biases.

It's not a perfect match, but it's there, right down to the piano intro.

This may be absurdly obvious or already officially confirmed or debunked, I've never read anything about it.

Not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure that Cartman on South Park came out of Parker and Stone's desire to see another Archie Bunker onscreen. Just a hateful bigot. Because you didn't really see that anymore at the time.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure that Cartman on South Park came out of Parker and Stone's desire to see another Archie Bunker onscreen. Just a hateful bigot. Because you didn't really see that anymore at the time.

The real downside to bigotry in TV is the idea that people are smart enough to see you're pulling their leg and taking the piss out of them. A lot of bigots aren't and will go out of their way to brute force any mockery put towards them to prove their ideas. Stephen Colbert had that issue when he made fun of Dubya during 2005.

It's a failure of the medium. Whenever you deal with topics and try to be evenhanded, it can also be seen as a justification of both sides which bigots latch onto and try to show as backing for their side. It's a dangerous game that, as of late, America has been feeling the brunt of. We're a nation of illusions to the point where anybody who grew up with a TV in the 50s/60s now simply can't get beyond that maybe the drat thing was lying to them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the Jerry thing started boring but they quickly realized 'wait, if we make him a nice but kinda dumb guy then there's actual reason for everyone to dunk on him but still explains why no one actually seems to HATE him' and then they added 'oh but also what if he had a really hot wife and super nice and pretty daughters and they all love and respect him at home' to make it not just a parade of him getting slammed. They even had a whole episode where the people who make fun of him the most wind up outside looking in to his family christmas party with everyone having a great time and the payoff is of course he invited them too but they flagged all his emails as spam because he's annoying.

Bullying doesn't become acceptable just because the target is otherwise happy and/or successful. The main cast relentlessly wailing on a designated punching bag isn't funny and it makes them all look like lovely people in a otherwise saccharine sweet workplace-as-family show.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The real downside to bigotry in TV is the idea that people are smart enough to see you're pulling their leg and taking the piss out of them. A lot of bigots aren't and will go out of their way to brute force any mockery put towards them to prove their ideas. Stephen Colbert had that issue when he made fun of Dubya during 2005.

It's a failure of the medium. Whenever you deal with topics and try to be evenhanded, it can also be seen as a justification of both sides which bigots latch onto and try to show as backing for their side. It's a dangerous game that, as of late, America has been feeling the brunt of. We're a nation of illusions to the point where anybody who grew up with a TV in the 50s/60s now simply can't get beyond that maybe the drat thing was lying to them.

You might remember that Oz had a lot of sexual violence. I was never more alienated from my fellow humans as when I read up on an episode on IMDB, and saw a forums post about how funny some rape "joke" was. There is no amount of antagonist characterization that is going to stop some parts of the audience from sympathizing with the most heinous people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've got no idea what show people were talking about last page but the mention of April and Mona Lisa made me think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

We're getting a new one of those soon, by the way. They've gone back to 2D animation instead of CGI this time around, and all the turtles are different species now. Raph is goddamn huge and uses tonfa instead of sais. (weirdly enough, there might be some relation there)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Which has been rebooted more times, TMNT or Scooby Doo?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

I've got no idea what show people were talking about last page but the mention of April and Mona Lisa made me think Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

We're getting a new one of those soon, by the way. They've gone back to 2D animation instead of CGI this time around, and all the turtles are different species now. Raph is goddamn huge and uses tonfa instead of sais. (weirdly enough, there might be some relation there)

I hope he meets Kurt Cobain in some multi-dimensional Lovecraftian subplot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I hope he meets Kurt Cobain in some multi-dimensional Lovecraftian subplot.

I just want you to know I appreciated this ref.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Choco1980 posted:

I just want you to know I appreciated this ref.

Station!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Which has been rebooted more times, TMNT or Scooby Doo?

Scooby-Doo just flat out never bothered with continuity, except for that one time.

TMNT has technically had more discrete reboots if we're going by that measurement. Still pales to Transformers, though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Bloop posted:

interestingly there was a rather high quality drama called East Side/West Side that aired for one season in the early 60s that was pretty much too controversial to survive at the time because it dealt with starkly real issues in an era where those topics were considered too contentious for public consumption without a lot of allegory or disguising/dressing up (tho 1963 was an otherwise good year for that stuff, for complicated reasons), that's in spite of the fact that the program itself was somewhat well rated, critically acclaimed and got pretty well festooned with emmys that year - most advertisers simply wouldn't buy timeslots on it because they didn't want to be associated with such candid and direct depictions of controversial issues so it lost money

it irked people for just about everything, for its grim portrayals of poverty/economic exploitation by the rich, statutory rape, soldiers' with ptsd, children born with mental handicaps, people succumbing to addiction, etc and for other things like simply having a black actress portray a competent professional as a series regular, for having black guest stars involved in honest depictions of the cruelty of racism, etc; it's one of the few shows with critical reviews entered into the US congressional record after a particularly poignant episode with the instigating senator wishing that everyone in america had watched it saying that it 'dealt honestly and sensitively with the vital problems of job discrimination, housing conditions and the terrible cancerous cleavage that can exist between the negro and the white community' and that it 'was shocking in its revelations of what life can be like without hope.' - most people consider east side/west side a little too ahead of its time and believe it got axed for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Tangentially related to that, I was somewhat surprised recently to discover that Walter White is (or at least was, for a while) apparently this alt-right icon because they see him as some sort of badass criminal grandmaster who's liberated himself from "liberal morality". I suppose I shouldn't have been, though, given all the misogyny towards his wife in parts of the Breaking Bad fandom who think she's "holding [Walter] back" from his drug baron destiny or something.

On the other hand, I have a hard time taking it seriously when people complain that characters who are meant to be sympathetic to some extent are portrayed as having ugly qualities or attitudes. I don't really know what to make of it.