Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

smartest car in the showroom syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it doesn't even do carplay or android auto

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Astronauts crank up the spice in space

indeed, usul.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

indeed, usul.

Get them eyes of the ibad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

President Beep posted:

indeed, usul.

(could he be the one?)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/972591994659745792

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya, anything recommendation-based is bound to fill you up with your own bubble bullshit.

which might be fine when it's one hit wonders, but not so much when its a fat white guy recruiting you for a nazi crew

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Leck posted:

theres a clinic near my office operating out of the ground floor of a condo building that advertises these pretty heavily. they’ve moved on from just giant pictures of butts on their ads to weird 90s style CG of lighthouses and castles and stuff.

Sounds legit, lol

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

The Leck posted:

ads to weird 90s style CG of lighthouses and castles and stuff.

sned the yosbutt

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

unlocking the frunk/trunk and opening the charging port door, adjusting cruise control speed or follow distance, HVAC, audio volume, mirrors -- all touchscreen

also opening the goddamn glovebox

that one still makes my head hurt

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

SO DEMANDING posted:

also opening the goddamn glovebox

that one still makes my head hurt

press f to pay toll

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Krankenstyle posted:

ya, anything recommendation-based is bound to fill you up with your own bubble bullshit.

which might be fine when it's one hit wonders, but not so much when its a fat white guy recruiting you for a nazi crew

yeah but what she's saying is that the recommendation algorithms are pushing people towards more radicalized viewpoints. it's one thing if you watch normie poo poo on youtube and get more normie poo poo, but it is a problem if you start getting alex jones and nazis when you're starting out with normie poo poo

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

facebook and google are existential threats to global democracy

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Krankenstyle posted:

depends. if they’re ranking by your likeliness to engage with youtube by commenting, conspiracy poo poo could be promoted because people openly comment on them more

in other words, conspiracy theories could very well be the youtube version of this (if that’s how they sort results)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

uncurable mlady posted:

also twitter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
radical normies

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

yes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah but what she's saying is that the recommendation algorithms are pushing people towards more radicalized viewpoints. it's one thing if you watch normie poo poo on youtube and get more normie poo poo, but it is a problem if you start getting alex jones and nazis when you're starting out with normie poo poo

ComradeCosmobot posted:

depends. if they’re ranking by your likeliness to engage with youtube by commenting, conspiracy poo poo could be promoted because people openly comment on them more

in other words, conspiracy theories could very well be the youtube version of this (if that’s how they sort results)

sure it might be a pleasant thing to watch same old same old, who knows... youre still gonna hit the opaque limit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush posted:

everything except the steering, gas/brake, "transmission"/drive mode, turn signals, and headlights are controlled by the touchscreen.

unlocking the frunk/trunk and opening the charging port door, adjusting cruise control speed or follow distance, HVAC, audio volume, mirrors -- all touchscreen

On the plus side, if someone with a tesla model 3 parks like a dick you can completely disable their car with a $3 automatic center punch

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps i wanna build a cannon and shoot a tesla car directly into elon musks face

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

atomicthumbs posted:

On the plus side, if someone with a tesla model 3 parks like a dick you can completely disable their car with a $3 automatic center punch

if this works on a car in motion i think i'm getting one of my ideas

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

flakeloaf posted:

if this works on a car in motion i think i'm getting one of my ideas

i mean if you wanna pull some action movie poo poo and jump into a moving car in order to break the touchscreen be my guest

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

capitalism is an existential threats to global democracy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

capitalism is an existential threat

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
him name Hopkin profit maximizer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

even as a kid i knew that scooters were just so incredibly lame

like a cross between a bike and a skateboard that manages to make you look like way more of an rear end in a top hat than either did on its own

they’re popular with the suitwearers on the train

i guess it’s harder to fall off and gently caress up your suit on one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

reddit, it's worse than facebook at letting bad communities fester

maybe, but it doesn't have an omnipresent ad tracking system following you around.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

theyre popular with the suitwearers on the train

i guess its harder to fall off and gently caress up your suit on one

like i said, lame

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mixed review: 4.5 stars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

mixed review: 4.5 stars

out of 5

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

seems to be an awfully big jump to go from "people who like vegetarian cooking also like vegan cooking," "people who like running also like more running" and "people who watch fox news overwhelmingly agree with alex jones" to "youtube's algorithms have decided it can extract more money from you if it gets you to join isis" or w/e

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

eschaton posted:

him name Hopkin profit maximizer

ps. i'll find my economic growth, who took my growth

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

seems to be an awfully big jump to go from "people who like vegetarian cooking also like vegan cooking," "people who like running also like more running" and "people who watch fox news overwhelmingly agree with alex jones" to "youtube's algorithms have decided it can extract more money from you if it gets you to join isis" or w/e

based on my experience with listening to music on youtube, I think the algorithm works somewhat by checking out what you watch and also what you skip or stop watching entirely if it comes up

this works really well with smooth jazz or whatever genre music because it gives me similar things which I really like

however replace jazz music with conspiracy theories and I don't think putting together a playlist based on similarity gives you a good result - you won't find more truthful information by looking at every other similarly dodgy source, you'll just find the same stuff, presented similarly

probably a lot of this stuff works also because there's a lot of people who are either stuck or deliberately playing the same set of videos, so because "hey look people are watching these videos/sources together often" google's ai thing also gets the impression that there's some emergent structure there

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

that said, people with a fairly basic grasp of SEO are able to artificially link their conspiracy theory/nazi poo poo to normal crap. like, youtube search for "flu vaccine", the first result is from a anti-vaxxer.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

1990s nerds took the concept of "number two, engage" too literally when it came to algorithmic poo poo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really really really hate flying, and I’ve gone from flying like twice for the first 24 years of my life to flying a number of times a year, including some very long international flights

Something about the design of airline seats makes them excruciating for me to use for more than like 3 hours, while I can drive for like 13 hours with few breaks and feel perfectly fine

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
so, today one of my older and less tech-savvy in-laws browsed a website on his iphone that looked like apple.com and said he was being hacked and prompted him to call "apple tech support" (apparently safari allows any website to ask the user to dial a pre-filled phone number, on page load, with an ios-native pop-up prompt. thanks tim!)

long story short, in 2 hours he purchased 4000 earth dollars worth of gift cards, at local brick and mortar stores, for various companies: itunes, best buy, even loving Steam. a cashier at CVS thought he was being scammed but he ignored the warning. he gave all the card info to "apple tech support" so that cisco could verify his account and stop the hackers. it would all get refunded when it was over.

this particular in-law can easily afford to eat the loss. my wife was literally in tears laughing when i told her

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

airline seats are unbelievably terrible and i'm convinced that they do it on purpose.

like, the tiny bench seat in the 40-year-old cessna 152 i fly, which has a cabin this big

is still about an order of magnitude more comfortable than any economy-class airline seat i've experienced in my life.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the entire design of an economy-class seat is to be durable enough to meet safety regs, and then be as lightweight as possible.

"comfortable" is waaay down the list of priorities, and padding is heavy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they literally don’t clean the surfaces of passenger areas on planes - the most they’ll do is try to straighten up a little

the last time your tray and armrests were cleaned was whenever a previous passenger neurotic enough to do so sat there before you and whipped out their chlorox wipes

it’s not the recirculated air that makes people sick it’s that every surface you touch is filthier than a bart escalator