Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

quote:

Want to touch the breasts of the brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Koalas March posted:

I don't know who this guy/gal is but they're on the level. :3:

It's the asian counterpart of this girl

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/971446728468652032

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

BSS Movie Thread: Want to touch the breasts of the brothers (.) (.) ( ̄┍ ̄)!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, Cruise is a pretty solid actor, but someone who really, really needs to get cast as a villain again at some point. He was amazing in Collateral and no one has really tapped that side of his acting since.

I don't get the Tom Cruise hate either. He's been in a bunch of really good to great films and he practically IS Hal Jordan, so I could see it.

I can't muster up a ton of hate for an actor who delivered Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Mission Impossible, Minority Report, Magnolia, Tropic Thunder, The Firm, Color of Money, Outsiders and Born of the 4th of July. He is what he is and you kind of know what you get for the most part but people's reasons for making GBS threads on him never made a lot of sense to me.

People seem to dislike Cruise for the same reasons they hate on Hal so going with and playing off that works for me. Might make a good trilogy if they go with Hal (Cruise), then Guy and Jon. Who would we cast for movies 2 and 3?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...uh, have you heard of Scientology?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Tom Cruise rules and being duped by an evil cult that psychologically preys on people and destroys their lives isn't a knock against him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tom Cruise is in charge of that evil cult.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't cruise and the church try to blackmail Katie Holmes into staying with him/them by threatening to use their influence to strip her of custody of their kid

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Apocalypse Now in space.

Now I'm interested, with or without tom Cruise. That's a loving fantastic idea.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Unmature posted:

Tom Cruise rules and being duped by an evil cult that psychologically preys on people and destroys their lives isn't a knock against him.

Except that Cruise himself has used his position in Scientology for lovely things, like using SeaOrg folks as unpaid laborers, having Nicole Kidman wiretapped, etc. He’s almost certainly aware of the lovely abusive things the cult does and he’s best friends with the current leader, a man who almost certainly had his wife killed or exiled to some compound and used the resources of the church to hide it.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 11, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Miscavige's wife is alive, she's been seen a few times.

But he keeps her locked up in some Scientology compound in the California mountains somewhere.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
toot

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 23, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Fwiw, I finally saw BP last night, and I, a upper middle class white Canadian nerd loved it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

site posted:

Didn't cruise and the church try to blackmail Katie Holmes into staying with him/them by threatening to use their influence to strip her of custody of their kid

Yes, although that's not a Tom Cruise thing, that's just the default position of Scientology when anyone tries to leave the cult.

The super creepy thing is that Cruise used the church to create his marriage, instructing the church to produce a list of attractive young actresses who were Scientologists or Scientology -adjacent and audition them before him for the position of wife.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This is all making me want Leah Remini as a Marvel character. Is it too late to cast her as Jessica Jones?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jamesman posted:

This is all making me want Leah Remini as a Marvel character. Is it too late to cast her as Jessica Jones?

Holy gently caress that would've been good.

And until we know absolutely everything I'm not blaming Tom for poo poo. Scientology manipulates people and facts in every way they can. I'll consider him a prisoner for now. If he left that place could crumble so they'll do anything to make sure he's around including gently caress with his reputation. We could've thought the same things about Remini, Will Smith (who's not technically one but gives them enough money), Jason Lee, Elisabeth Moss, or any of the thousands of other poor people that are being tricked by a cult.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 11, 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Dude, Beck.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I too believe Tom cruise is incapable of doing wrong because i like a movie he's in

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

And until we know absolutely everything I'm not blaming Tom for poo poo. Scientology manipulates people and facts in every way they can. I'll consider him a prisoner for now. If he left that place could crumble so they'll do anything to make sure he's around including gently caress with his reputation. We could've thought the same things about Remini, Will Smith (who's not technically one but gives them enough money), Jason Lee, Elisabeth Moss, or any of the thousands of other poor people that are being tricked by a cult.

But luckily for us Leah Remini left and is here to tell us that Tom Cruise is the devil.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yeah, there are multiple consistent reports of Tom Cruise being a massive narcissist who is only in the religion because it made him a literal saint and of how he abuses his power within the church to get slave labor and free services.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beck is the rare second generation Scientologist. It’s hard to blame him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One of the actresses from That 70's Show is the same deal

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of the actresses from That 70's Show is the same deal

Laura Prepon? I thought Danny Masterson got her into it.

Also Jason Lee is no longer a Scientologist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Laura Prepon? I thought Danny Masterson got her into it.

Also Jason Lee is no longer a Scientologist.
Yeah I think it’s her and Masterson

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It’s still unfortunate that he’s involved at all, but I’ve never heard or seen anything about him using it in a negative way or abusing members like Cruise. He really just seems to be in it because of his family.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Cruise is definition of an actor you like to see in movies, but you hate who is is outside of the films.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

twistedmentat posted:

Cruise is definition of an actor you like to see in movies, but you hate who is is outside of the films.

Yeah this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

I think Elisabeth Moss was born into Scientology. It's funny in a morbid sort of way how she gave that speech at the Emmy Awards last year after she won for The Handmaid's Tale about the importance of standing up to oppressive behaviour and not letting abuse go unchallenged and it was so widely acclaimed, and then as soon as she was challenged over Scientology she denied that there was anything abusive about it.

I guess that's true of a lot of people and their religion.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Elisabeth Moss was born into Scientology. It's funny in a morbid sort of way how she gave that speech at the Emmy Awards last year after she won for The Handmaid's Tale about the importance of standing up to oppressive behaviour and not letting abuse go unchallenged and it was so widely acclaimed, and then as soon as she was challenged over Scientology she denied that there was anything abusive about it.

That's true of a lot of people and their everything. Sometimes they see a warmer side of lived experience that isn't obvious; usually they've just been on the operators' end of the pitchfork.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They need to ramp up their recruitment. Checking the list of celebrity Scientologists, it's basically the same as the early 2000's when I went "Oh no! Not Beck!"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They got enough celebrities, now they need to target the second most influential people in our society: Youtubers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

True, but Scientology is absolutely a cult and their members are taught that only they can save the human race from doom.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Beck is one of the few people who I can see just being weird enough to believe all the thetan stuff

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you haven't watched it, you absolutely should check out Leah Remini's show about Scientology. We all know Scientology is bad and horrible, but the show really puts a human face on the suffering they cause and details the methods they use. It's interesting and devastating at the same time.

So yeah, who could Leah Remini play in the MCU? Isn't there a green-haired lady in SWORD who is a total hardass? She could play her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh sure typecast her as the love interest to a beast.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

So yeah, who could Leah Remini play in the MCU? Isn't there a green-haired lady in SWORD who is a total hardass? She could play her.

Abigail Brand? Hell Ya!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Samuringa posted:

They got enough celebrities, now they need to target the second most influential people in our society: Youtubers

Please do not say this loud enough for the Scientologists to hear, because you have described a truly horrible future and it seems increasingly likely that every worst idea comes to fruition in this timeline.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

They need to ramp up their recruitment. Checking the list of celebrity Scientologists, it's basically the same as the early 2000's when I went "Oh no! Not Beck!"

Their recruitment has cratered period, not just of celebrities. Sea Org member has fallen down to around 5,000, with a global total population of Scientologists probably less than 30,000. There are individual churches in Texas with memberships larger than Scientology.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Turns out when it's discovered your cult is actually a pyramid scheme that uses brainwashing and all sorts of illegal tactics to keep your members in line no one wants to join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Scientology building in Hollywood was crazy.

• Locked thread