Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hhhat posted:

he didnt start the fire

But how long has he been there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Here I thought it was bad when they joined Doink with Dink, Wink and Pink.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Zil posted:

But how long has he been there?

That's nobody's business but the Tu... oh no, wait

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

There's a section of Melbourne that's laid out like that. When the rest of the city was being drawn up to go north/south and east/west, the guy who was surveying this particular area wanted to be ~different~ (seriously, no other reason) and he drew up that area to be lined up with where the sun set on the Summer Solstice or some bullshit like that. Literally just to be different from the rest of the fledgling city.

https://i.imgur.com/uxTQMfF.mp4

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The grammatical error in this one always bugged me.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

JoelJoel posted:

i dont follow. to me, the grammar seems ok?

i follow. to me, alex trebeks mother seems like a whore.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

That made me look up to see if "manuever" was just a weird English spelling or something, and apparently everywhere that's not America has it as "manoeuvre"? Fancy.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You guys should gone further with your education.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JoelJoel posted:

You guys should gone further with your education.

cmon its my second language. i would accept putting a comma between moon & to, but otherwise i dont see any problems

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Generally speaking, further refers to a metaphorical distance while farther refers to an actual distance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oohhh ok right

thats not a grammatical error though, its pure vocabulary & a prescriptive issue as well. actually, this meme probably finalized the synonymizing of further & farther.

You
Oct 6, 2009
So we agree that it's written by an Ohioan then?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Oh, hi Joan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good call.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

He was on Apollo 8 also so he did it more than once. Maybe the slingshot was longer on 13?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I think it was.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_p5ceafEBTz1sqi8t1_480.mp4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You posted:

So we agree that it's written by an Ohioan then?

yea sure

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Batman beyond owned so much

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ziv Zulander posted:

It really did.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7-TQdN40Dk&t=5s

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ziv Zulander posted:

The best one that no one remembers was a classic noir story about a surgeon, his girlfriend, and the thugs he was equipping with weapons. Surprise, the girlfriend and lead thug are two-timing the doctor, and he finds out but the thug doesn't know. The episode ends with the thug going under for surgery, as the doctor assures him everything will be ok...

I saw a panel with all those guys who did Batman: The Animated Series through Justice League, and they were joking "we took the Batman Beyond gig thinking we were going to make something super kid-friendly and ended up making our darkest show by far."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

There's a section of Melbourne that's laid out like that. When the rest of the city was being drawn up to go north/south and east/west, the guy who was surveying this particular area wanted to be ~different~ (seriously, no other reason) and he drew up that area to be lined up with where the sun set on the Summer Solstice or some bullshit like that. Literally just to be different from the rest of the fledgling city.

I've always like Melbhenge just for how utterly pointless it is. More cities need poo poo like that.

Souldn't that be Serai.Je.Suis?

:goonsay:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Memento posted:

San Francisco has the same thing sorta, basically there were two separate competing city centers founded that eventually grew into each other. The justification I heard for the angled grid was that with the streets offset from east/west you're never driving your carriage straight into the sun, apparently it was kind of a city-planning fad of the late 1800's and actually sounds like a good idea to me.

Of course they didn't really get the north/south grid right either.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

The best one that no one remembers was a classic noir story about a surgeon, his girlfriend, and the thugs he was equipping with weapons. Surprise, the girlfriend and lead thug are two-timing the doctor, and he finds out but the thug doesn't know. The episode ends with the thug going under for surgery, as the doctor assures him everything will be ok...

Yup, I remember watching that episode back in the day. Elementary school me knew that mook was hosed six ways from Sunday once the gas mask was put on :stare:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

sortez

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shy boy from chess club posted:

He was on Apollo 8 also so he did it more than once. Maybe the slingshot was longer on 13?

Apollo 13 didn't enter lunar orbit and got on a free return trajectory instead - once around the backside of the Moon and back to Earth.
This made their flight the farthest away from Earth and also the fastest to re-enter the atmosphere to this day.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Apollo 13 didn't enter lunar orbit and got on a free return trajectory instead - once around the backside of the Moon and back to Earth.
This made their flight the farthest away from Earth and also the fastest to re-enter the atmosphere to this day.

So farthest distance from Ohio and fastest return to Ohio. Dude ended up in Illinois - Ohio really is a black hole.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Guillaume" is the French equivalent to "William". It sometimes gets shortened as "Gui".

So they had a perfect opportunity to go for gui.je.suis and they blew it! :argh:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

except they have a longstanding relationship with anglofolk, i think francatizing given names is a french class thing

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

He’s saying gamers right? Because first I heard “gaybirds” and that’s way funnier out of context.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mierenneuker posted:

"Guillaume" is the French equivalent to "William". It sometimes gets shortened as "Gui".

So they had a perfect opportunity to go for gui.je.suis and they blew it! :argh:

Or you know half translate the pun and go for Gui.il.aime.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

well with live television you only get one shot at things, all you can do is hope you run a delay with someone to veto the worst of your mistakes, thank goodness

Former DILF has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Mar 11, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

Volonté.je.suis

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
I swear I remember somebody looking for this in one of these threads, so I hope it was this:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jim DiGriz posted:

I swear I remember somebody looking for this in one of these threads, so I hope it was this:

The safari one, ha.