Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Coaaab posted:

Want to do an anecdotal, informal poll here: Does anyone know someone who was a Cena mark as a kid who's now at least an older teenager? Are they still into wrestling or has it become something they 'grew out of'?

Wreddit would be the perfect place to ask that; they're all like 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Trips went over Kevin Nash in 2003 as well. It's not remembered as much as the others because, again, Nash was well past it anyway, and I doubt Nash cared so long as he got paid to hang out with his mates, but it's still another one to add to the pile (especially if you take note of the Triple H-beats-an-ex-WCW-star trend). The PPV on which this match took place, Bad Blood, also featured the redneck triathlon (how exactly do you manage to take one of the most entertaining performers in the history of wrestling and make him so annoying?), Scott Steiner and Test feuding over the right to abuse Stacy Keibler (with Test entering to one of the most deafening anti-pops ever), and the tag title reign of La Resistance (who were French and therefore evil, because France was against the invasion of Iraq). 2003 was not a good time for Raw.

But that said, going back to heel Rock, I just saw this clip for the first time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXS3ToAUhF8 - and in an untelevised post-show comedy spot, The Rock manages to both put over Booker T more than Triple H ever did and still be super entertaining the whole time. Also the ending is awesome.

I'll have a question next time I swear.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I wouldn't count the Nash/hhh fued because they're friends and Nash was clearly at the point of not giving a poo poo. Plus he got his start in the wwe and he had no longevity. You could classify his 02/03 run as his last hurrah and even then he spent the majority of it injured. You could argue putting trips over because Nash was literally a walking injury.

Goldberg could have been booked better but it's hard to argue with his run. He worked an easy schedule, made truck loads of money and more importantly didn't job. He might have run into a wall with trips but overall he was booked like a killer. How many people can come into a company and beat the rock in his first ppv with the company?

The summerslam 03 ending I thought was perfect. It's the last few months of the year that sucked the life out of his run. 04 showed a glimmer of hope but the wm20 match sucked rear end.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've been out of the wrestling loop but got the WWE Network (Mania is coming) and finally watched the Rumble. Everyone was getting decent pops which isn't that hard at the rumble so what, in your opinion, is the current state of each of the three WWE rosters? And which 'major' promotion has the better roster?

EDIT: Also lol on the Kane bump for the F5.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 10, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bessantj posted:

I've been out of the wrestling loop but got the WWE Network (Mania is coming) and finally watched the Rumble. Everyone was getting decent pops which isn't that hard at the rumble so what, in your opinion, is the current state of each of the three WWE rosters? And which 'major' promotion has the better roster?

CMLL has the best roster.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bessantj posted:

EDIT: Also lol on the Kane bump for the F5.

Smackdown has a more talented roster than Raw being completely misused.

Raw has a more entertaining roster, and some of them are even being used correctly.

NXT TV is regularly quite bad but Takeovers are the best thing the company does.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Do people still give bishoff poo poo for firing Steve Austin from wcw?

I'm asking because after watching Austin's career there from the network he was pretty bland character and look wise. Also after watching OSW's dungeon of doom arc they mention it as well.

Don't get me wrong there was potential there(obviously), but wow was he boring otherwise.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m gong to my first house show soon, do they sale any merch that isn’t shirts and replica belts?

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 11, 2018

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

ColeM posted:

I'm asking because after watching Austin's career there from the network he was pretty bland character and look wise. Also after watching OSW's dungeon of doom arc they mention it as well.

Don't get me wrong there was potential there(obviously), but wow was he boring otherwise.

He was pretty bland character and look wise as the Ringmaster as well. He and Pillman were getting over pretty well as the Hollywood Blondes, I thought though?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Seams posted:

He was pretty bland character and look wise as the Ringmaster as well. He and Pillman were getting over pretty well as the Hollywood Blondes, I thought though?

Hollywood Blondes were getting really over and most people at the time were upset that he got jobbed out when Hogan got brought in.He had a brief ECW run that was good and most thought he was a good signing with great potential for Vince but welp he got the Ringmaster gimmick which was bland as all heck.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It was probably one of those things where a lot of fans saw potential in Austin, even if he hadn't fully lived up to it.
And even if you didn't necessarily see what a lot of other people saw in Austin, you had to agree that getting jobbed out to a wrong-side-of-his-prime Jim Duggan in 30 seconds then getting fired while injured was a pretty bum rap.

Also: Has there ever been a luchadore to lose multiple Lucha De Apuestas matches?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m gong to my first house show soon, do they sale any merch that isn’t shirts and replica belts?

Yeah they have all kinds of stuff. Besides the obvious copies of the performer gloves, arms and wristbands, glasses, masks, etc. I’ve seen baseball caps, Pops, MITB briefcases, signed pictures, foam fingers, lanyards, uh... Cena chains, New Day unicorn horns, empty Booty-Os boxes, teddy bears.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Also: Has there ever been a luchadore to lose multiple Lucha De Apuestas matches?

Many. Brazo de Platino has lost 18. Super Parka is at 10, and I think El Dandy is around there, too.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

CMLL has the best roster.

Aphrodite posted:

Smackdown has a more talented roster than Raw being completely misused.

Raw has a more entertaining roster, and some of them are even being used correctly.

NXT TV is regularly quite bad but Takeovers are the best thing the company does.

Thanks. How badly is Smackdown's roster being misused? Who would you say is getting the worst of it? Also is Bayley being misused? Because I remember in NXT she had huge pops but got almost nothing in the rumble.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
bayley is dead. I'm sorry to break it to you like this.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

bessantj posted:

Thanks. How badly is Smackdown's roster being misused? Who would you say is getting the worst of it? Also is Bayley being misused? Because I remember in NXT she had huge pops but got almost nothing in the rumble.

I'm sorry. I believe you'll find that, in retrospect, Bayley was always bad.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ColeM posted:

Austin's WCW run was probably as good as it could've been given the circumstances. As mentioned, the Hollywood Blondes were super hot for a while, and he was a featured player in the Dangerous Alliance, the biggest heel act of the time.

I think the whole "WCW misused Austin" narrative came up because Bischoff fired him via FedEx while he was out injured, and he's been openly bitter about that over the years.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

tzirean posted:

Many. Brazo de Platino has lost 18. Super Parka is at 10, and I think El Dandy is around there, too.

Negro Casas has lost a ton

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

tzirean posted:

So do they just decide to shear El Dandy every 2-3 years or so for a laugh?
You can't lose your mask that many times though can you? I mean a career can't possibly be long enough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bessantj posted:

Three of the most consistently entertaining wrestlers in the world are AJ Styles, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn, with AJ being arguably one of the best all-around workers in the world. All three are consistently in the main event, AJ is Champion and there is a 98% chance that AJ is going to have a dream match against Shinsuke Nakamura at Wrestlemania.

Despite that, the three have been dragged down by some spectacularly dumb storylines and stupid booking that largely revolve around Shane McMahon being an egotistical dick who keeps making heel decisions but is somehow still supposed to be a face (with the beloved Daniel Bryan supposedly the "heel" of the two somehow?), and it has dragged all three down really badly even if on the surface of things the show is consistently all about them. It's very disappointing, and most people blame Road Dogg who is apparently the chief writer on Smackdown now, and seems to have figured out that writing to favor a McMahon as much as possible is good for his career.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ChrisBTY posted:

You can't lose your mask that many times though can you? I mean a career can't possibly be long enough.

Mask vs. mask matches are much rarer than you might expect, because -- as you've inferred -- that's a stip you can only blow off once, so it's gotta be saved for a major money match. So mask vs. hair or hair vs. hair is the go-to, since a guy can lose that and grow his hair back and have another one in short order.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bessantj posted:

Thanks. How badly is Smackdown's roster being misused? Who would you say is getting the worst of it?

I don't know how far back you stopped watching, but Smackdown was the best show for a while by a longshot. Last year's Elimination Chamber was pretty much its swansong as the quality took a big dip afterwards and has only gotten worse over time due to a change in writers. Now Road Dogg is in charge of writing and it's the pits.

Here's a look at all the male singles wrestlers on the Smackdown roster:

- John Cena: Is a "free agent" and therefore gets to regularly show up on Raw whenever. Is only on Smackdown right now so he can get a title shot at the next PPV in hopes of earning a Wrestlemania match, as if that's somehow supposed to be a challenge for him.

- AJ Styles: Has been champion for a little while and is practically the ace of the show, but he's been treated as the least important guy in the room because of the show's stupid main event angle with Shane McMahon, Daniel Bryan, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn.

- Shinsuke Nakamura: Did a lot of nothing, won the Royal Rumble, continued to do a lot of nothing. Lost a title feud to Jinder Mahal.

- Jinder Mahal: Was champion for what seems like forever. No, really. This happened. WWE thought he'd help their tickets sales in India and made him champ out of nowhere. It was awful.

- Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn: Have had a feud with Shane McMahon that refuses to end or be interesting outside of Sami's initial heel turn. Shane is a face authority figure who is over-the-top in his mistreatment of the two while Daniel Bryan is the face (?) authority figure who gives them opportunities because he can't wrestle, so might as well push the indie darlings. So far Shane and Bryan's dynamic is "mild annoyance while shrugging."

- Baron Corbin: Won Money in the Bank, then lost his cash-in in humiliating fashion. Then lost to Cena badly at Summerslam. Then just kept looking like a goof until they started treating him like a contender again.

- Randy Orton: Lost a title feud to Jinder Mahal, including losing in a Punjabi Prison match thanks to Great Khali interference. Khali never showed up since. Afterwards, he's done absolutely nothing of note.

- Bobby Roode: US Champion and face despite being way better as a heel. Got stuck in a bad Ziggler feud.

- Dolph Ziggler: Okay, so. His gimmick became that he was really salty that anyone with a cool entrance could be over and would spend like ten minutes a week reenacting entrances to prove his point. He randomly got tossed into a US title match for no reason whatsoever, making it a triple threat. Then he won the belt and vacated it on the following Smackdown while seemingly leaving the show behind. He returned at the Rumble at #30, where he lost almost immediately. Now he's back for reals and wants to be champion because main eventing WrestleMania is the only thing he cares about. The show itself doesn't seem to be sure if he's supposed to be a face or heel or what.

- Mojo Rawley: Turned on Zack Ryder, won their feud, then jobbed out.

- Sin Cara: Got to look tough against Corbin for a few weeks until the US Championship was on the line. Then fell into obscurity.

- Zack Ryder: Lost a feud with Mojo, so he's about par in terms of deserved treatment.

- Tye Dillinger: He's... there?

- Rusev/Aiden English: MASSIVELY OVER act that is absolutely glossed over. Rusev made up his own stupid daily holiday and people loving love him while tolerating his supportive, singing friend. Probably the most misused, but they wouldn't use him correctly if they tried.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also Smackdown introduced a woefully bad Top Ten list gimmick, in which supposedly the wrestlers vote for their Top 10 wrestlers but aren't allowed to vote for themselves. This is supposedly so Shane and Bryan (who also can't vote) can get a sense of who truly deserves opportunities in WWE.

Since the introduction of the list, half of it is made up of CURRENT Champions, and almost everybody who has gotten title shots since the introduction of the list have NOT been on the list.

It's... baffling.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

flatluigi posted:

bayley is dead. I'm sorry to break it to you like this.

Web Jew.0 posted:

I'm sorry. I believe you'll find that, in retrospect, Bayley was always bad.

Never been more triggered in my life.

Re: Jerusalem & Gavok - Thanks for the catch up. This sounds like a nightmare. I did wonder what the Rusev Day thing was about people seemed to love it and I can't believe they still love the New Day stuff I thought that would have passed by now. Also I thought Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn had a really good feud in NXT, did they try and replicate that on Smackdown? Do they actually have any idea what to do with Nakamura? Apart from the AJ match as Mania which sounds great.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Pierroth (RUSH's father) lost his mask back in 2002 and then remasked in the last year or 2 only to lose it again in 2017.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Not so much losing his mask, but Icarus repeatedly lost stakes matches in CHIKARA getting shaved twice.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Not so much losing his mask, but Icarus repeatedly lost stakes matches in CHIKARA getting shaved twice.

It's a shame they never did a "Loser has to get laser tattoo removal on his back" match with him, though that might not have been too PG.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Thanks. How badly is Smackdown's roster being misused? Who would you say is getting the worst of it?

We are, for watching three straight PPVs main evented by Jinder Mahal/Randy Orton

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Negro Casas has lost a ton

Yup, he's also double-digits.

ChrisBTY posted:

In the end, it wasn't even "every 2–3 years." El Dandy lost a hair match on September 17, 2000, lost another one in April 2001, then lost another on September 16, 2002. That's three losses in a day short of two years!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Austin's WCW run was probably as good as it could've been given the circumstances. As mentioned, the Hollywood Blondes were super hot for a while, and he was a featured player in the Dangerous Alliance, the biggest heel act of the time.

I think the whole "WCW misused Austin" narrative came up because Bischoff fired him via FedEx while he was out injured, and he's been openly bitter about that over the years.

No, it really wasn't. A promised US title push was given to Dustin when Dusty returned to power and the Hollywood Blonds were broken up very quickly when they were blamed for a bad Clash rating. The Hollywood Blonds only came together because both guys weren't being used at the time.

In terms of apuestas, Black Terry has lost 20 of em.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 11, 2018

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

Pierroth (RUSH's father) lost his mask back in 2002 and then remasked in the last year or 2 only to lose it again in 2017.

Super Parka(Volador Sr.) has lost three masks under three different gimmicks

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who is the dumbest rear end irl wrestling couple of all time. Which ones toigether are a combined biggest dumb idiot?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Hulk and Brooke and it's not particularly close.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bessantj posted:

Never been more triggered in my life.

Re: Jerusalem & Gavok - Thanks for the catch up. This sounds like a nightmare. I did wonder what the Rusev Day thing was about people seemed to love it and I can't believe they still love the New Day stuff I thought that would have passed by now. Also I thought Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn had a really good feud in NXT, did they try and replicate that on Smackdown? Do they actually have any idea what to do with Nakamura? Apart from the AJ match as Mania which sounds great.

I want to mention that Shane McMahon, on air, noted how much people liked rusev so expect big things for him soon.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Shane explicitly told ted "no" in front of everyone but people keep acting like he didn't

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Germansimp posted:

It's a shame they never did a "Loser has to get laser tattoo removal on his back" match with him, though that might not have been too PG.

Kind of a moot point, since we haven't seen Icarus' back in about five years. Despite all of the problems with the Ashes storyline, they did a really good job turning Icarus into the company's top face (until the storyline was finished and he lost direction) and part of that transition was that Icarus has since started wearing full-body outfits.

ChrisBTY posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is Super Fly, who lost his mask in AAA while he was on the Lucha Underground roster. Rather than cite his initial loss, they just had him lose it over again on Lucha Underground.

bessantj posted:

Owens and Sami had a pretty good feud a couple years ago on the Raw roster. It ended awesomely in the blow-off match where Sami nailed the Helluva Kick, saw Owens crumble over, held him up, looked at him with all this pent up emotion, set him back up and then finished him off with a second Helluva Kick. Unfortunately, they didn't have anything for Sami afterwards, so while Owens became Universal Champion, Sami's status was "guy you could toss into a random match against Owens and have Owens win." Other than an angle that involved Sami getting regularly murdered by Braun, he didn't have much going on and he turned heel in part because he realized that Owens was right. Taking the moral high ground wasn't worth it if he got poo poo on and ignored by every authority figure.

I think with Nakamura, they had AJ vs. Nakamura penciled in for a long time and didn't want to have the two clash in the lead-up, but they couldn't come up with anything else for Nakamura to do. While they did have him get clean wins over Cena and Orton, he's lost title matches against Jinder and has otherwise hung back.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

who is the dumbest rear end irl wrestling couple of all time. Which ones toigether are a combined biggest dumb idiot?

Sunny and whatever dumb lovely indie worker she’s loving at that given time

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is Super Fly, who lost his mask in AAA while he was on the Lucha Underground roster. Rather than cite his initial loss, they just had him lose it over again on Lucha Underground.

Psicosis did the same thing when he was going to lose his mask in WCW.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Could Roddy Piper actually play the bagpipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cavauro posted:

We had an entire thread devoted to Paige and Del Rio.