Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hunt has amazing atmosphere and environment design. Pity they wasted it on a multiplayer game where absolutely nobody will pay attention to it. Same for the horror elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pour one out for Evolve Stage 2, which was fun, but nobody played. I fear Hunt will share the same fate.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Evolve 2.0 was doing pretty well for itself really, it was resting on a couple thousand players which is plenty for a 5 players max game, but what killed it was 2K forcing them to loudly close development yet again, probably because there was no monetization in it to be found and the costs of everything were reasonable, can't have people just enjoying a game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Our kinda intense hunting game can't sell microtransactions like NBA 2k18, burn it all down. I was never interested in the whole stupid eSports thing they tried to force with Evolve, but the game itself was fun and cool, and the chunks of story and lore were really fascinating.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
did someone do a little write up on Detention earlier in this thread? I can't remember. What was the consensus? The imagery in the trailer looks really cool but it's hard to get a feel for how it plays

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

goferchan posted:

did someone do a little write up on Detention earlier in this thread? I can't remember. What was the consensus? The imagery in the trailer looks really cool but it's hard to get a feel for how it plays

It's pretty great, honestly. The gameplay isn't too bad, save for some backtracking but what game doesn't have that. The story and atmosphere are what knock it out of the park; it does a good job portraying living in a country under martial law and applying it to horror, and of course it's got some good folklore and all that. Definitely worth a playthrough.

IIRC the consensus in the thread overall is that it's pretty dang stellar, especially if you're into games like Silent Hill 2.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

goferchan posted:

I reviewed it back in October. It was the best game I played that month and one of my favorite horror adventures ever. My only complaint was that it's too short for how good it is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did Gleaner Heights end up being anything other than a cheap Stardew Valley knock off?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

Did Gleaner Heights end up being anything other than a cheap Stardew Valley knock off?

Yep. It’s buggy too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played like a chapter of Evil Within 2 last night, and wow, that voice actor for the main character is really something else eh? Reminds me of the main character from the Alone in the Dark reboot.

Edit: Also "We've sent a highly-trained, extremely-well-armed group of soldiers into this place and they've all disappeared. So, you, the alchoholic with PTSD, definitely have a shot at rescuing them. Try to find a weapon while you're there."

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 6, 2018

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Scott Cawthon confirmed on his Steam page today he’s shooting for Ultimate Custom Night mode to be out on 8/8/18, which will be around FNaF 1’s 4th anniversary.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Played like a chapter of Evil Within 2 last night, and wow, that voice actor for the main character is really something else eh? Reminds me of the main character from the Alone in the Dark reboot.

Edit: Also "We've sent a highly-trained, extremely-well-armed group of soldiers into this place and they've all disappeared. So, you, the alchoholic with PTSD, definitely have a shot at rescuing them. Try to find a weapon while you're there."

He shrugged off the influence of the original STEM just by being Too Hardboiled For This poo poo, so it’s a fair gambit.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, it's more like "Send the guy who single-handedly survived crazy Italian Horror Dream Logic Nightmare Hell when he DIDN'T know what was going on.", which is a way better bet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think at that point they were basically grasping at straws anyways, so might as well send in the guy who has probably the most direct experience with it all even if he's a wreck

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Fight nightmare logic with a nightmare logician

ez

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Im actually sad Evolve got done raw the way it did, the monster designs were cool and the gameplay was actually pretty unique.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

But when you look at their profiles a lot of them weren't exactly soldiers. Also nthing the fact that Sebastian has direct experience with hard fuckin the STEM's weird dream logic. EW2 is probably my favorite game I've played this year by far. It's just such a great continuation of the first game story-wise.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Scott Cawthon confirmed on his Steam page today he’s shooting for Ultimate Custom Night mode to be out on 8/8/18, which will be around FNaF 1’s 4th anniversary.

That means it'll be out within 2 weeks or so and secretly include the new game because that's just how Cawthon rolls.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 8, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Eh I dunno, I think Ultimate Night might actually take him a while, at least if he expects you to be able to win with all fifty goddamn animatronics active at once.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shadowlyger posted:

if he expects you to be able to win with all fifty goddamn animatronics active at once.

i beg your loving pardon what

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

50 animatronics creaking and whirring through dark hallways bumping into each other like blind cave creatures. All of them trying to get into that room but none are able to because they're all trying desperately to jumpscare through the door at once. The real horror is the Fire Marshal has set max capacity of the pizza parlor at 36 individuals. It is a fire hazard. There are loose papers and other flammables. OSHA is coming.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it'll be like this except replace the diseases with homicidal animatronics

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Evil Within 3 isn't doing too hot.

(this is a bad game don't spend $30)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Untrustable posted:

50 animatronics creaking and whirring through dark hallways bumping into each other like blind cave creatures. All of them trying to get into that room but none are able to because they're all trying desperately to jumpscare through the door at once. The real horror is the Fire Marshal has set max capacity of the pizza parlor at 36 individuals. It is a fire hazard. There are loose papers and other flammables. OSHA is coming.

I want a FNAF where you are the animatronics, and you have ONE night to bring the place up to spec before OSHA rolls in and brings a doom that no damned machine could ever bear.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Black August posted:

i beg your loving pardon what

Scottgames currently shows the interior of the room for the custom night, but prior it had a wall of mugshots of all the animatronics that would be in the night. It started with forty, underwent a few lineup changes, and finally settled on fifty total slots. If all of them can be active at once for a 50/20 mode, well... that's gonna be pretty cramped.

But yes, there must absolutely be an event where all of them attempt to bumrush you at once and get stuck in the doors.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Black August posted:

I want a FNAF where you are the animatronics, and you have ONE night to bring the place up to spec before OSHA rolls in and brings a doom that no damned machine could ever bear.

Not OHSA but part of Pizzeria Simulator/FNAF 6 is avoiding liability for injuries sustained by unsafe animatronics and rides. You can potentially go bankrupt and lose the whole game at any point if you’re sued enough.

Shadowlyger posted:

But yes, there must absolutely be an event where all of them attempt to bumrush you at once and get stuck in the doors.

I hope this gets back to Scott because it could be the right amount of hilarious and terrifying. He’s pretty self-aware about the games all around, I could see him including that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Not OHSA but part of Pizzeria Simulator/FNAF 6 is avoiding liability for injuries sustained by unsafe animatronics and rides. You can potentially go bankrupt and lose the whole game at any point if you’re sued enough.

I hope this gets back to Scott because it could be the right amount of hilarious and terrifying. He’s pretty self-aware about the games all around, I could see him including that.

Ideally the jumpscares would be the camera jerking around to a grim-faced silent individual in the uniform and with clipboard, and then IMMEDIATELY cutting back to your current animatronic screaming in terror.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, it's more like "Send the guy who single-handedly survived crazy Italian Horror Dream Logic Nightmare Hell when he DIDN'T know what was going on.", which is a way better bet.

Sebastian survived his first trip into STEM by basically just going "Huh, that's weird" and shooting everything he saw. There's no better candidate for saving people.

After seeing his alcoholism in 2, I'm 99% sure the reason for his unusually stoic behavior in the first is that he was just plastered the whole time. When he goes back in, he's got a hell of a hangover.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
I got to this Wrong End in Corpse Party.

Naomi probably killed everyone using Seiko's corpse. I laugh at the idea of Naomi whipping around her dead best friend like a flail :black101:.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I think that's the one you get if you've done everything else right, but haven't picked up Sachiko's trinkets to make her go away.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I wish that The Hidden Source had taken off like battle royale games are now. Playing against a competent Hidden player was the scariest thing you can do in multiplayer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up Hidden Agenda and I hope the Until Dawn crew keeps getting to make fun things because this gameplay with a Thing theme would be great

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Len posted:

I picked up Hidden Agenda and I hope the Until Dawn crew keeps getting to make fun things because this gameplay with a Thing theme would be great

I've always said that it makes me sad The Thing game happened when it did, they just didn't have the technology to do what they wanted.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I've always said that it makes me sad The Thing game happened when it did, they just didn't have the technology to do what they wanted.

I think it would be neat to revisit that idea in multiplayer, only nobody knows they're the alien until a while into the round. This way you can sort of avoid the problem where everyone immediately becomes paranoid and walls themselves away from every other player, because even the antagonists don't know they're supposed to be killing anyone for a bit.

Once they become the alien, they just get a little silent notice and can continue behaving like a human to engage in subtle sabotage (like hiding supplies or destroying equipment) and then transforming if they get caught.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I kind of suspect that's why Paranoia mode in Friday the 13th (a similar idea to that) was canceled, for reasons of "This wasn't very fun to play". It seems like it would just result in everyone going to opposite ends of the map, and if someone insists on hanging around you, that's probably your killer.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Make the killer too strong to fight when you're isolated so going and hiding off on your own is a death trap.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Started Evil Within 2 tonight. Wasn't sure about the first person setting, but I gave it a try and can't go back to RE4 camera.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Professor Wayne posted:

Started Evil Within 2 tonight. Wasn't sure about the first person setting, but I gave it a try and can't go back to RE4 camera.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea that they added a first-person mode to EW2. I actually haven't even started playing the first Evil Within yet, but this is good to know when I finally get around to it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it would be neat to revisit that idea in multiplayer, only nobody knows they're the alien until a while into the round. This way you can sort of avoid the problem where everyone immediately becomes paranoid and walls themselves away from every other player, because even the antagonists don't know they're supposed to be killing anyone for a bit.

Once they become the alien, they just get a little silent notice and can continue behaving like a human to engage in subtle sabotage (like hiding supplies or destroying equipment) and then transforming if they get caught.
there's a boardgame that does this, Arkham Horror or something similar, and it works pretty well - also there are various possible threats and you don't know which one it's going to turn out to be, so you can't really plan ahead

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh poo poo, I had no idea that they added a first-person mode to EW2. I actually haven't even started playing the first Evil Within yet, but this is good to know when I finally get around to it.

Both games actually included a fully functional first person mode that could be activated through the console or file editing or something. Some people thought it was a remnant of a few first person cutscenes, but it was too properly implemented for that (including guns held in the right spots). I think both were originally intended to have it, but only the second got it in an update. The first got it with The Executioner DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's a boardgame that does this, Arkham Horror or something similar, and it works pretty well - also there are various possible threats and you don't know which one it's going to turn out to be, so you can't really plan ahead

Arkham Horror is great, they managed to really nail the feel of hopeless odds and you really dont want to get attached to your investigator because they are most certainly going to die horribly. The only real down points to the game are its loving gigantic, like take up an entire dining table huge, and a game can take up to 6 hours easily.