Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I find that trying to get char spots on my electric stove is impossible on corn tortillas... they get stiff/crispy before any real spots develop. Do I just need higher heat? Using a dry cast iron skillet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I find splashing a bit of water on the tortilla before toasting helps a lot.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

emotive posted:

I find that trying to get char spots on my electric stove is impossible on corn tortillas... they get stiff/crispy before any real spots develop. Do I just need higher heat? Using a dry cast iron skillet.

How long are you preheating? You could also try broiling in your oven, directly on the rack if you're worried about sticking to sheet trays.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

emotive posted:

Why are you using a pan at all? It's super easy on a gas stove but you can still char on an electric burner directly.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Why are you using a pan at all? It's super easy on a gas stove but you can still char on an electric burner directly.

There are stoves where neither of those are options or you don't want to clean tortilla ash from the burners every week.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Or where the stove is filthy so I don't want to eat disgusting crap on my tortillas.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

If you do this on electric, you're asking for it to stick. A very dry tortilla and a preheated burner is your best bet, but I wouldn't do it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

silvergoose posted:

Or where the stove is filthy so I don't want to eat disgusting crap on my tortillas.

Clean your drat stove you filthy monster.

Also, I had a 50/50 success toasting on an electric stove directly. there would be plenty where they'd get a ring of burnt rear end poo poo while the rest was cold. I'm very happy I converted to gas.

Edit: I honestly had no idea people try to toast tortillas in the oven. That's such a waste and it wouldn't get much char I'd imagine. Speaking from inexperience here.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 9, 2018

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Guys a dry nonstick pan works fine. Give it about 30 seconds on medium high and you’ll have some nice toasting.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Use a cigarette lighter

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Made gumbo and red beans and rice this week. Got leftovers for days, but need to decide what I'm using the rest of the smoked pork shanks for...

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Loco posted:

Now You're Cooking With Gas Eating Teflon!

I'm pretty sure I'm not getting my pan hot enough for this to be a danger. Do you know at what point it becomes hazardous? I'll admit I don't know the facts myself.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
Heh sorry for not elaborating- it's probably not hazardous much to humans, but I think with teflon it shortens your pans life quicker if you use medium heat or above (and medium is defined pretty loosely), especially with not much in the pan. I am no expert.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

emotive posted:

Grab one of these and throw it over your electric stove on high: https://www.amazon.com/Roti-Jari-Grill-Papd-Chapati/dp/B002M92XQ6

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

Grab one of these and throw it over your electric stove on high: https://www.amazon.com/Roti-Jari-Grill-Papd-Chapati/dp/B002M92XQ6

Oh drat, that’s pretty awesome. Might have to do that. Either that or I get one of the portable propane burners.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
could be good for burging too.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I baked some rye bread with dill seed, caraway seed, and fennel seed:

I put some mustard, roasted turkey, tomato, and dill havarti cheese in there:

I toasted the gently caress out of them sandwiches and added Kenji's roast potatoes:

And it was good.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Toasted sorghum warm salad with green beans, oyster mushrooms, dried cranberries, toasted sunflower seeds, feta, and labneh whipped with lime zest.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

blixa posted:

I baked some rye bread with dill seed, caraway seed, and fennel seed:

I put some mustard, roasted turkey, tomato, and dill havarti cheese in there:

I toasted the gently caress out of them sandwiches and added Kenji's roast potatoes:

And it was good.

drat that's some pretty bread.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Veritek83 posted:

drat that's some pretty bread.

And delicious! I used this recipe but added the fennel and dill seed. Baked it in a loaf tin instead of free form.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Only had my lovely cellphone camera but I was really happy with how these turned out. Highland potstickers, ground angus, leeks, garlic and mushrooms from a local farm cooked in beer, folded into dumpling dough made with Orkney beremeal barley, simmered in a bit of beef bone broth then fried and topped with a sauce of parsley, roast garlic and chili mixed with the remaining broth.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Tonight was potatoes, sausages, and chicken legs.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Black Bean & Pepper Stew with Pickled Onions

Reworking the Sausage Roll: Homemade Sausage Meat with Dried Cranberries, wrapped in Brik Pastry, Shoestrings of Potato and Deep Fried.

Blobby Race Car Cake for Toddler.

Chicken Thighs, Honey Roast Roots, Wild Rice, Blackberries

Sesame Tuna, Udon, Ginger Broth. Tuna was hacked in half with spatula by impatient toddler who really understands 'sharing' when it comes to other peoples fish.

Said toddlers portion.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cavenagh posted:

Sesame Tuna, Udon, Ginger Broth. Tuna was hacked in half with spatula by impatient toddler who really understands 'sharing' when it comes to other peoples fish.

Good lord these look amazing

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've been lurking for a while but I made a cherry pie last night I'm actually pretty proud of, so whatever :justpost:

Used the Food Wishes recipe but replaced the slivered almonds in the crumble top with shredded coconut cause I like coconut and cherries together. Never had a cherry pie before, they're pretty loving good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That looks like a tart to me :colbert:

Would, though.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
First time poster ITT

Poulet au vin d'Alsace. Only thing I think could have been improved would be the sear on the chicken, otherwise I was really happy with it. Served with French bread and Riesling.

EDIT:

Cavenagh posted:

Dear god

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 15, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Miso salmon and gai lan ohitashi cuz I'm lazy as gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

These look awesome.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

TheQuietWilds posted:

First time poster ITT

Poulet au vin d'Alsace. Only thing I think could have been improved would be the sear on the chicken, otherwise I was really happy with it. Served with French bread and Riesling.

EDIT:

Dear god

Well don’t make yourself scarce, would eat that, it looks great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That does looks great. Make some coq au vin next!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Miso salmon and gai lan ohitashi cuz I'm lazy as gently caress.

Hot drat

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Panko breaded juustoleipä cheese sandwich with lettuce, onion and tomato.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Casu Marzu posted:

i have never heard of that cheese but holy gently caress i don't think i've ever wanted a sandwich more than i want that right now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That looks loving stunning.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

:hai:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks guys. It was delicious as hell but also sat like a brick cuz I ate a 6oz slab of fried cheese. Pretty sure I was in a food coma the rest of the day.

kumba posted:

i have never heard of that cheese but holy gently caress i don't think i've ever wanted a sandwich more than i want that right now

It's great, pretty much a less salty halloumi

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's also commonly called "bread cheese" if your grocer's cheese person doesn't know what juustoleipa is.

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Not meaning to nit pick here by any chance but I just have to correct that it is in fact the other way around, so leipäjuusto. Leipä meaning bread and juusto meaning cheese. It is actually a pretty versatile ingredient which can successfully (YMMV) be used in indian cuisine in place of paneer cheese and it also works great on stir fries and woks. Traditionally here in Finland it is often baked with cream and just when its inner parts get to that good oozing point, you take it out and serve it with cloudberries.

Sandwich looks great by the way, gotta try to mimic something similar soon because I just started craving bread cheese. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
That's not a nitpick at all. Thanks for the info-dense post! What the gently caress is a cloudberry. Please sponsor me into Finland.