Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Cape Town is kind of a pain to get fuel to. I’ve been sending tankers from Abadan to Cape, with a refueling stop at Colombo. I have more tankers at Abadan than I know what to do with - fuel needs in the western part of the map are not high for me. For supply to Cape, I just rely on the convoy units that show up and also ship some from Eastern US.

I use short-legged tankers and some cargo ships from the east coast to cape town. Off-map movement never runs out of fuel, so range is irrelevant. Gamey perhaps, but fuckit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I've been a beta tester for Slitherine's upcoming Empires Apart RTS and they just removed the NDA. It's an Age of Empires's clone to a shocking extent--as in, I'm amazed they can release this without getting sued. Empire's Apart is a wargame to the extent that Age of Empires is, which is to say it isn't one, but I just thought I'd mention it since Slitherine is involved.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Having been on an enormous Pacific theater kick lately, I would absolutely KILL for a modern remake of Microprose's Task Force 1942.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I've been a beta tester for Slitherine's upcoming Empires Apart RTS and they just removed the NDA. It's an Age of Empires's clone to a shocking extent--as in, I'm amazed they can release this without getting sued. Empire's Apart is a wargame to the extent that Age of Empires is, which is to say it isn't one, but I just thought I'd mention it since Slitherine is involved.
Is it a good aoe clone though? I've been looking for something to play in that genre.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Asehujiko posted:

Is it a good aoe clone though? I've been looking for something to play in that genre.

I’ve played a ton of AoE and I enjoyed this one, yeah. The graphical style might turn someone off (I liked it), but the gameplay is solid.

In case you didn’t know, Microsoft just released AoE Definitive Edition (complete grahical makeover in HD), but it’s only available via the Windows Store for Windows 10 systems. A whole new AoE 4 is around the corner too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

More RTW Crumbs:

Fredrik posted:

RTW2 will have a host of changes. As well as aircraft and carriers, it will also adapt the politics in the game the 1930s. There will also be a number of improvements in the mechanics of the game. All this takes time to implement and test. We are loth to commit to a release date before we can be certain, so as not to disappoint you. We can say it will be this year though.

Registered owners of RTW will be give a discount on RTW2.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Ooh, I wonder if rtw2 starts postww1, or if you can run a 1890-1945 campaign.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It still starts at 1900.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It still starts at 1900.

I mean since it starts in the pre-dreadnought era, 1890 would probably be the perfect starting year; however, the 1899/1900 start was never a game breaking issue for me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

1890 would be pretty cool and help pre-dreadnoughts have a bit more limelight, but its already been stated the game will start in 1900.

The aircraft design competition thing is a fantastic idea. The Navies mostly designs ships themselves, but never really did for planes.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
The pre-dreadnought era is already the most boring part of the game, I don't get why people want more of it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

I’ve played a ton of AoE and I enjoyed this one, yeah. The graphical style might turn someone off (I liked it), but the gameplay is solid.

In case you didn’t know, Microsoft just released AoE Definitive Edition (complete grahical makeover in HD), but it’s only available via the Windows Store for Windows 10 systems. A whole new AoE 4 is around the corner too.
AoE1DE appears to be mostly dead on arrival though, I watched TheViper(AoE2 streamer) look at it and even on launch week there were a whole 9 lobbies being hosted.

He was also at what I think was supposed to be a press/"influencer" demo for AoE4 that bombed so hard that Microsoft slapped a huge NDA on all attendants. There's pictures of him and other streamers at Relic's office, he has an AoE4 hoodie and mouse mat but when asked about after he returned he had to say "I'm not allowed to say whether or not I I've ever been to Canada" and the closest he can come on commenting on the state of the game is that he has even less plans for branching out to AoE4 than he did for AoE1DE.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They killed AOE DE probably by not having it on Steam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vahakyla posted:

They killed AOE DE probably by not having it on Steam.

Pretty much this. They want AOE DE to be a Microsoft Store exclusive and then they want AOE4 to be Windows 10 and Microsoft Store exclusive. Reviews for AOE DE sit pretty low on the store because the game apparently has a CTD on startup.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I’ve been playing a lot of it and have had absolutely no problems. I don’t play multiplayer so I can’t speak to that experience.

I agree that Microsoft didn’t do themselves any favors with the exclusive release.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Rule the Waves 2 is gonna own bones, you guys

I am so stoked

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I kind of want to do a RTW2 LP as soon as it comes out, when we don't know what the hell we're doing yet. Seems fitting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was thinking of giving another LP a shot myself. Still regret not picking back up my previous one before it got locked. If only life hadn't gotten busy. Never even got to introduce the new double-turrets.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

ArchangeI posted:

The pre-dreadnought era is already the most boring part of the game, I don't get why people want more of it.

Yeah, having ten more years where your slow, badly armoured and undergunned ships can't hit the side of a barn with a broadside from fifty meters away is really not that much. For me the game only starts getting interesting when the first dreadnoughts arrive on the scene. Especially those early years where dreadnoughts are strong enough to essentially destroy everything else that isn't a dreadnought, but rare enough that an unlucky turret hit or nightly torpedo attack can turn the tide of a war.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty much this. They want AOE DE to be a Microsoft Store exclusive and then they want AOE4 to be Windows 10 and Microsoft Store exclusive. Reviews for AOE DE sit pretty low on the store because the game apparently has a CTD on startup.

This is a thing with Store exclusives isn’t it? Forza Horizon does the same poo poo. I have to do some kind of download in order to fix what I assume is the drm.

Windows 10 and the store seems so half assed.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017

ArchangeI posted:

The 1860-1890 period of armored warships is incredibly interesting from a historical standpoint, but would be hard to balance for a gamer with perfect hindsight who could just build the "right" ships.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Coiler121 posted:

The 1860-1890 period of armored warships is incredibly interesting from a historical standpoint, but would be hard to balance for a gamer with perfect hindsight who could just build the "right" ships.

You could also say that about the Pre-Dreadnought/Dreadnought era, but RTW1's tech system did a pretty decent job of it.

Also the key to fighting other predreadnoughts IMO is massive amounts of HE ammo (AP only on the biggest guns point blank) and brinksmanship boardside torpedo jockeying. HE doesn't sink Battleships, but it chews them up nicely and reduces combat effectiveness and starts fires (the real killer of pre-dread battleships besides torpedoes) surprisingly often.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm not a Rule the Waves guy, but it's cool seeing everyone get super hyped about it -- it's a little contagious. I imagine I'll know the day it's released, because there will probably be 250 unread posts in this thread.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
yeah, rtw2 is a day 1 purchase.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
RTW2 is going to be awesome but it keeps loving with my brain and I keep thinking were talking about Rome Total War 2

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I really wish there were more Great War games. Talk about an incredibly unrepresented conflict for grog games...

I suppose this is because the American audience for this isn’t big (for a number of sociological reasons I won’t get into) and the misconception that: trench warfare is ‘boring’ AND is the only thing that happened during the First World War.

I mean, everything that happened in August of 1914 was based on maneuver warfare, and the Eastern front was never static in the same way the Western front was.

I think the most frustrating thing is the fact that the Great War was such a close run thing—all the way until the end. So its always weird to hear or watch people talk about how Germany could have won the Second World War when, from the fall 1941 (poo poo from the initiation of Barbarossa) the outcome of the war was a forgone conclusion and was more about how long Germany could survive. Whereas Imperial Germany had chances to win the war in 1914, 1916, 1917, and even up to the failure of the Kaiserschlacht in the Spring of 1918.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
You’ll see that a lot. If America didn’t steamroll, media doesn’t care. Korean War is a dirty secret, WW2 Mediterranean front was a side show that the Allies didn’t really dominate all that much, so it gets ignored. Even I didn’t know there was such a thing as the Gothic Line until a couple weeks ago. Vietnam would have been ignored if it wasn’t so opposed back at home.

This is also why we get the same depictions of Normandy and Belgium over and over and over. The US looks great in those, so they keep showing up in the media. Holland was a defeat, so we don’t see it much unless they have no choice like Band of Brothers.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Is there anything out there that deals with Korea? TOAW seems to be the closest you get, at least on the ground.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Theatre of War 3 did early Korea, but it was also a pretty terrible game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

skooma512 posted:

You’ll see that a lot. If America didn’t steamroll, media doesn’t care. Korean War is a dirty secret, WW2 Mediterranean front was a side show that the Allies didn’t really dominate all that much, so it gets ignored. Even I didn’t know there was such a thing as the Gothic Line until a couple weeks ago. Vietnam would have been ignored if it wasn’t so opposed back at home.

This is also why we get the same depictions of Normandy and Belgium over and over and over. The US looks great in those, so they keep showing up in the media. Holland was a defeat, so we don’t see it much unless they have no choice like Band of Brothers.

Hmm yes.

The often ignored and seldom mentioned Operation Market Garden.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Kangra posted:

Is there anything out there that deals with Korea? TOAW seems to be the closest you get, at least on the ground.

TOAWIV has 2 or 3 Korea scenarios. I think only one of them is the actual Korean War though, with the other two being a contemporary conflict on the peninsula.

Dandywalken posted:

Hmm yes.

The often ignored and seldom mentioned Operation Market Garden.

V For Victory covered Operation Market Garden in 1993!

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 12, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think WW1 gets passed over because the politics and delineation between good/bad guys is a lot murkier, Nazis are easy to understand and hate. Ask anyone in the U.S. or heck probably a lot of other countries involved in the war what the reasons for WW1 were and it gets real hazy beyond Franz Ferdinand being assassinated.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

I think WW1 gets passed over because the politics and delineation between good/bad guys is a lot murkier, Nazis are easy to understand and hate. Ask anyone in the U.S. or heck probably a lot of other countries involved in the war what the reasons for WW1 were and it gets real hazy beyond Franz Ferdinand being assassinated.

:thunk: :patriot:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

I really wish there were more Great War games. Talk about an incredibly unrepresented conflict for grog games...

I agree. The Great War (to me) is soooooo much more interesting and represented a crossroads for military tactics, weapons, economies, political systems.

Here are some games I know of. I'm missing a few.

First World War
France 14
East Prussia
Commander: The Great War
Commands & Colors: The Great War
Strategic Command WWI
To End All Wars
The Entente Gold
Making History: The Great War
Supreme Ruler: The Great War
World War 1

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I agree. The Great War (to me) is soooooo much more interesting and represented a crossroads for military tactics, weapons, economies, political systems.

Here are some games I know of. I'm missing a few.

First World War
France 14
East Prussia
Commander: The Great War
Commands & Colors: The Great War
Strategic Command WWI
To End All Wars
The Entente Gold
Making History: The Great War
Supreme Ruler: The Great War
World War 1

It's really strategy heavy. An operational game would be interesting to see but so super niche even within this niche genre that I never expect to see a good one.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kangra posted:

Some CMANO scenarios.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dimitris posted:

Some CMANO scenarios.

I recall some SPMBT scenarios as well - I remember an enormous mass of Chinese infantry just swarming British armor, but damned if I can remember more details.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I dunno about you guys but I really enjoy smashing pre-dreadnought battle lines together yardarm to yardarm.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Polikarpov posted:

I dunno about you guys but I really enjoy smashing pre-dreadnought battle lines together yardarm to yardarm.

Oh, you read Farmer's A FEAST UNKNOWN too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I recall some SPMBT scenarios as well - I remember an enormous mass of Chinese infantry just swarming British armor, but damned if I can remember more details.

Did the British armor refuse to engage because they couldn't determine if they were experiencing a Human Wave or Short attack?