Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nah, iwantdoodie and lecia just live in the wrong part of florida. I've got 3-4 decent cruising roads near me with the added bonus that 2 of them have no place for cops to hide since its going through a salt marsh.

And the 86BRZFRS has the same 0-60 stats as my wagon. I'd probably be fine driving one and if not, theres plenty of power adders out there. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elmnt80 posted:

Nah, iwantdoodie and lecia just live in the wrong part of florida. I've got 3-4 decent cruising roads near me with the added bonus that 2 of them have no place for cops to hide since its going through a salt marsh.

And the 86BRZFRS has the same 0-60 stats as my wagon. I'd probably be fine driving one and if not, theres plenty of power adders out there. :getin:

I lived in CA also. I still didn't like the car. It's slow as loving balls and has a horrible powerband without mods.

The boxer is inefficient as gently caress, and between the price of the car, the power, and the mpg, there is basically no reason to own one over it's competition. I like the premise but that motor is loving garbage, and the stock tune makes it even worse.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It looks better than its competition. :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

I lived in CA also. I still didn't like the car. It's slow as loving balls and has a horrible powerband without mods.

The boxer is inefficient as gently caress, and between the price of the car, the power, and the mpg, there is basically no reason to own one over it's competition. I like the premise but that motor is loving garbage, and the stock tune makes it even worse.

Slow as balls? Not in my experience. It's not a straight line one hit wonder, it's a twisty road point to point weapon and in that it's really drat fast. My ex VE Commodore is supposably fast (and it was with a masssive straight line advantage) and it's brakes were a smoking mess trying to stay ahead of one, let alone it doesnt have the corner speed to match one. WRX vs BRZ on a track day, the WRX barely wins and thats just down to traction exiting corners.

Competition? MX5? Barely. Let alone it responds stupidly well to mods - a stock BRZ does 1:13.2 around Wakefield Park (MY06 WRX 1:12.8) but stock ECU and exhaust, with jsut a set of MCA's and good tyres, you are doing 1:09.7 - which is EVO territory for a lot less money. Bolt on brakes and supercharger and you are in heavily modded STI territory (1:04) and STILL waaaay cheaper. The sheer ease and bang for buck in modding is to me purely one of the big reasons to get one, WRX's dont respond that well to simple changes.

Its not a car I would DD, it's not interesting tooling around in traffic. But I would take one without hesitation for a Putty Rd blast and it wont be slow doing it either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh God why do I even what am I doing

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyway..........

That GC8 we asked for a live or die vote on? Verdict - live.

So I am going to build a race car out of it. Which of course means the shell needs to be stripped out

Our tools for today

I had supervision. Dont judge me, cat

Catte on lookout for more Subarus

I wish I had these photos when rewring WReckX. Would have come in handy.....

Catte inspection

What the hell is this????

Good first day

Suppose I aint doing too bad for drat near 49

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A crossover separates the audio frequencies so only the bass goes to the subwoofer, the high to the tweeter, the rest to the normal speaker, etc.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I dropped that same Ryobi P261 1/2" impact on its snout from less than a meter and it broke :(

It worked great otherwise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Those Ryobis are cheap enough that the occasional failure can be tolerated. Otherwise, bloody brilliant cheap poo poo

Saw this GT clone at Supercheap. Up for a raffle.

ROTARY CONTENT

Back at the silver WRX.....

Aircon and heater boxes out

Annnnnnd after a long hot day...

quote:

A crossover separates the audio frequencies so only the bass goes to the subwoofer, the high to the tweeter, the rest to the normal speaker, etc.

This is like black magic to me. How does it do that?

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This is like black magic to me. How does it do that?

There's a bunch of ways to do it but it can be as simple as a capacitor, which filters out highs, in front of the woofer and an inductor, which filters lows, in front of the tweeter. The value of each component determines where the frequencies get cut. It can get a lot more complicated but basic audio electronics always seems to be deceptively simple.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

Well, assuming you take off the stock Michelin "green x" low rolling resistance tires.

Surprisingly, if you can get these tires hot enough, they're not atrocious. They're stupidly bad for autocross, but on a track where you can get some heat into them they're not awful.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

To get a bit more in depth, inductors and capacitors have variable impedance based on the frequency of the signal going through it. Low frequencies make a capacitor's impedance approach infinite (1/(2*pi*C*f)), and the inverse is true for an inductor (2*pi*H*f). Based on that, you can make passive filters that will only allow the frequencies you want to go through.

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 11, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so black magic then

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sneakyfrog posted:

so black magic then

More or less.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Those Ryobis are cheap enough that the occasional failure can be tolerated. Otherwise, bloody brilliant cheap poo poo

They're made by TTI as I recall, same as Milwaukee. I use the cheap drill/impact kit for work and its never let me down. The cordless glue gun is far and beyond way beyond its price in quality, I've used pro hot melt guns that sucked more at 5 times the price.

iospace posted:

To get a bit more in depth, inductors and capacitors have variable impedance based on the frequency of the signal going through it. Low frequencies make a capacitor's impedance approach infinite (1/(2*pi*C*f)), and the inverse is true for an inductor (2*pi*H*f). Based on that, you can make passive filters that will only allow the frequencies you want to go through.

The plus side of of passive filters is they can be made to handle speaker level power without losing their quality. Downside is pretty substantial loss, somewhat low accuracy, and the fact the q isn't great, but a high input power crossover network isn't exactly the place for a 12 pole Butterworth. Or is it? :getin:

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 11, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iospace posted:

So more doof for my VL Commodore then?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

That's what you would call a Neat Hack.

I think I can visualise how that all works now. I might transfer all the stereo stuff to the yellow WRX, it needs a bit of doof

quote:

They're made by TTI as I recall, same as Milwaukee. I use the cheap drill/impact kit for work and its never let me down. The cordless glue gun is far and beyond way beyond its price in quality, I've used pro hot melt guns that sucked more at 5 times the price.

Ryobi ONE+ is hand down the performance bargain for cordless tools. I don't think I have spent more than 1200 bucks for the set I have and frankly most of that was in additional batteries. Never broken one, more than powerful enough, lasts forever on a 5A battery and fo rthe price of one high quality cordless, you get four Ryobis that last almost as long and almost as powerful and tough.

2 * 1/2" impacts
2 * Drills
3/8" 90 degree ratchet
Angle grinder
Sawzall
Radio with USB charge port and WiFi / Bluetooth
Edge trimmer
Hand held vaccuum
Orbital sander
5 5A batteries

I want to get the improved radio

So when we get to a rally now, we also add to that the three other 1/2" impact, two strip lights and drill. I really need to pick up a 6 port charging station at some point.

Sure Ryobi ONE+ isnt the highest of quality, nor the longest lasting but for the price? You really do have to spend a lot of money to do better

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I think most children stop putting everything in their mouth eventually, so you must be sipping from the subaru fountain of youth :) Except too old to know what the hell a cross over is (were you serious? :lol: )

E: The main problem I have with ryobi is the garbage batteries they use. It's seems they want to sell tools cheap, have poo poo batteries, and sell a lot of extra batteries as a business model. I have matikas 10 years old with good batteries. FIrst ryobi tool I bought, a battery dies after 1 yr. I took it apart and it's a garbage battery and charge circuit.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 12, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Did Ryobi stop the issue with their cordless drills shocking the piss out of you if you put your hand on the back? That's why I stopped using them.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

iwentdoodie posted:

Did Ryobi stop the issue with their cordless drills shocking the piss out of you if you put your hand on the back? That's why I stopped using them.

Nah.... ZAP

Yes they seem fine. The drill and sawzilla seem to kill the smaller batteries. Rattleguns go for years!!!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fo3 posted:

I think most children stop putting everything in their mouth eventually, so you must be sipping from the subaru fountain of youth :) Except too old to know what the hell a cross over is (were you serious? :lol: )

E: The main problem I have with ryobi is the garbage batteries they use. It's seems they want to sell tools cheap, have poo poo batteries, and sell a lot of extra batteries as a business model. I have matikas 10 years old with good batteries. FIrst ryobi tool I bought, a battery dies after 1 yr. I took it apart and it's a garbage battery and charge circuit.

I *literally* knew nothing about car stereo apart from ripping them out until that question on the crossover was answered...! I couldnt tell you a drat thing about them - like what the hell is a sub woofer? Or a tweeter and why is a tweeter so small?

I rip em out, I dont put them in :)

Batteries these days are pretty decent - but then again I tend to only get the 5A's the 1.5 and 2A's are indeed crap.

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah no problem with the newer stuff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *literally* knew nothing about car stereo apart from ripping them out until that question on the crossover was answered...! I couldnt tell you a drat thing about them - like what the hell is a sub woofer? Or a tweeter and why is a tweeter so small?

I rip em out, I dont put them in :)

Batteries these days are pretty decent - but then again I tend to only get the 5A's the 1.5 and 2A's are indeed crap.

Yeah no problem with the newer stuff.

subs do low frequency so they need a larger surface area in order to push the amount of air for those lower tones, tweeters do the super high frequencies so they dont need to be massive to get just the highs nice and sharp. tweeters usually have built in crossovers so you (usually) dont need a external xover box, subs on the other hand are usually dumb boxes so they usually need an external crossover.

its me. im the guy who puts all those dumb boxes in the car for you to rip out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sneakyfrog posted:

subs do low frequency so they need a larger surface area in order to push the amount of air for those lower tones, tweeters do the super high frequencies so they dont need to be massive to get just the highs nice and sharp. tweeters usually have built in crossovers so you (usually) dont need a external xover box, subs on the other hand are usually dumb boxes so they usually need an external crossover.

To add to this:

The component speakers don't do well with frequencies outside their designed range so the crossover is a circuit to direct the appropriate signals to the correct speaker.

Like, a woofer gets very confused with high-frequency signals and they result in it muddying up the sound. The crossover is a filter that directs only low-frequency signals to the woofer so that it can do its job properly. Similarly with the tweeter - all the low-frequency signals are filtered out so that it only has to reproduce the high end sounds.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sneakyfrog posted:

Me, too. If he weren't on the bottom of the world, I'd see about taking all those worthless stereo things off his hands...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Darchangel posted:

Me, too. If he weren't on the bottom of the world, I'd see about taking all those worthless stereo things off his hands...

i know right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah well I'm not throwing this one out so maybe something can be arranged

Riding to the airpot and watching big things take off is a thing I like.

Fukcing rats with wings trying to steal my ice cream

Anyway - today was 41C and drat near zero humidity. Fairly dangerous day to be outside as you just dont notice how much fluid you are losing... and here I am outside doing things

Smelt like a blast furnace what with 50kph winds too

It's being turned into race car thence all the interior coming out. Cages and poo poo like that to go in. Windows come out this week and then the final back to shell stripping as well.

I'm kinda wondering if a Barra AWD will fit.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm kinda wondering if a Barra AWD will fit.

DDDDOOOOOO IIIITTTTT

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Man that's gonna understeer even worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well. BC Canada was interesting and truth be told quite a pretty place. Saw a lot of Subarus including the first time I've laid eyes on a 2.5RS coupe. I wonder how I can import one to Australia.....

I also want the bike infrastructure and the very polite drivers.

It's no real secret the reason why I went down the road of insanity with the rather .... large collection of Subarus was due to a long term relationship breaking down. On the other hand, one of the reasons I'm doing a lot better these days is the reason why I was in Canada this time around and I cant wait to show her the collection in person :D

Anyone know the import rules for a Canadian chassis?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would think most Canadian subarus of that era have returned the majority of the chassis back to the land.

What i'm saying is it would be REALLY easy to justify to the customs folks that it's a half cut.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Why hell would you import a 2.5rs when you have actual good subarus?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

Because it's be a pretty decent platform for a 22b replica I guess?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I think it'd be far easier to make one. Despite what they look like, Subaru didn't go very far into the "good stuff" parts bin on them. The earlier ones are basically the V3/V4 STI heads with a 2.5L shortblock and no turbo, the later ones the bog standard SOHC 2.5.

I mean, you have GC coupes as is, right?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

iwentdoodie posted:

2 door GC chassis are rare as hens teeth over here. 8ish years ago a 2 door WRX was $20k AUD. Now a good example will range from 40~60k or more. A rego-able 22b will set you back well over the 100k mark.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
They're not exactly common over here either anymore. The coupes have mostly gotten snapped up by the sort of people who turn into the "I know what I got!" trope.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Chiwie posted:

2 door GC chassis are rare as hens teeth over here. 8ish years ago a 2 door WRX was $20k AUD. Now a good example will range from 40~60k or more. A rego-able 22b will set you back well over the 100k mark.

I mean, thanks to the oil boom and kids getting cars for graduating high school, we have a handful of STI GC coupes kicking around here too. They're even RHD.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Very polite drivers? You must not have been driving in Vancouver.

Powershift posted:

I would think most Canadian subarus of that era have returned the majority of the chassis back to the land.

What i'm saying is it would be REALLY easy to justify to the customs folks that it's a half cut.

Mainland BC weather is pretty mild, they don't have too much of a rust problem. It's Ontario and Quebec where everything is salt hell.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

quote:

I mean, you have GC coupes as is, right?

The only coupes we got were the WRX STI ver 3/4 and the 22B. Besides, I now have a person in Victoria who can keep it for me until both her and a car are ready to be imported :D

Charles posted:

Very polite drivers? You must not have been driving in Vancouver.

Mainland BC weather is pretty mild, they don't have too much of a rust problem. It's Ontario and Quebec where everything is salt hell.

Compared to Sydney drivers? Vancouver is polite as.

That's something I noticed - the number of still running and in good condition older cars everywhere. The number of obviously rust buckets was quite low - also the number of penis replacement trucks was of course high but as a whole there's an unexpected high number of Japanese cars as well.

I'll see how things go re: a 2.5RS but for now I have her coming over in August and I'm back over in BC Christmas / New Year.

And I have a big list of projects with Subarus. Including that grey WRX that has a big deadline i has to meet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's something I noticed - the number of still running and in good condition older cars everywhere.

It's the lack of snow, and thus the lack of road salt usage. Get more inland and you'll start seeing rust everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So where the hell was I with the cluster of Subarus.....

Ah right. Now I remeber

Small hint as to what we're plotting. A lot of very custom work that right now I'm sure no one has ever tried

Dad's latest project.

There's a LOT of Subaru parts in there

Back to stripping the front end down...

Uhhhhhhhhh........................... the gently caress?

Nearly ready to be moved to the skunkworks.