Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The dealer I take mine to was like that at the start, they've gotten better about training more techs as the cars get sold and they have to service more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So basically if a GM dealership is either not certified at all or understaffed with techs that means if they sell you a Volt the miss out on that sweet service/warranty revenue or you have a subpar experience and also that dealership you are taking it to has a better chance of getting your business in the future.

Makes sense that they would rather sell you something else.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

So basically if a GM dealership is either not certified at all or understaffed with techs that means if they sell you a Volt the miss out on that sweet service/warranty revenue or you have a subpar experience and also that dealership you are taking it to has a better chance of getting your business in the future.

Makes sense that they would rather sell you something else.

Well the dealer I bought mine from IS Volt/Bolt certified. They even have a bank of chargers on the side of their service building.

From what I understand, only Volt/Bolt certified dealers can sell them.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

stevewm posted:

The Volt/Bolt has the same problem. Only Volt/Bolt service certified dealers can service them. Well to a certain degree... My local dealer (who is not Volt certified) told me they can service any part that is not Voltec specific or as long as it doesn't require touching the HV system in any way. They can also install any needed software updates, which they have done on my car. (there was a GM recall/bulletin for a update to prevent a false check engine light).

Edit: now that I think about it... I really hope that is GM policy. I was told that it was, but.. that was just one dealer. Anyways GM marked that recall as done on my car and no one complained. I do have another active recall now about the 12v battery charging connector coming loose from the DC-DC converter. For which I will have to take it to a Volt certified service department given that it deals with the HV part of the car.
You are correct in both cases. The same goes for Corvettes and certain versions of the other cars.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

It's also global numbers only for Tesla and US numbers for everything else. I wonder if passengers on the Titanic drew up goofy charts to make it look like it wasn't sinking.

Where else are they being shipped to? Canada (North America) at the longest. This car is in no way bring sold worldwide yet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

HFX posted:

You are correct in both cases. The same goes for Corvettes and certain versions of the other cars.

The sucky Nissan dealer I bought my leaf from couldn't sell GTRs. I made fun of the salesman.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Jesus, that fish crew pic. :stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elephanthead posted:

The sucky Nissan dealer I bought my leaf from couldn't sell GTRs. I made fun of the salesman.

Not enough transmission jacks?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Just chiming in to say that the recent Ontario government decision to no longer allow the $14,000 rebate on $75k+ EVs (all current Teslas in Canada) the prospective buyers on /r/Tesla are losing their loving minds and it is beautiful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s a great decision.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

eyebeem posted:

Nobody is going to own a <120 mile range or less car past the warranty expiration.

Why would you think this? It's not like we're dealing with GM EV1s where they're only available on leases and GM is going to take them back and crush them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I mean, someone has to own them. They won’t just go to the crusher.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

fordan posted:

Why would you think this? It's not like we're dealing with GM EV1s where they're only available on leases and GM is going to take them back and crush them.

Who is going to buy a Chevy spark 3 year lease return where the battery has severely degraded?

Will GM warranty a new battery? If they don’t, will someone be dumb enough to buy as is?

I could see these being the new subprime-mobiles in urban city centers with poor credit though.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

The Sicilian posted:

Who is going to buy a Chevy spark 3 year lease return where the battery has severely degraded?

Will GM warranty a new battery? If they don’t, will someone be dumb enough to buy as is?

I could see these being the new subprime-mobiles in urban city centers with poor credit though.

Subprime people in urban city centers aren't going to have anywhere to charge their cars. Its not like they would have garage spots to install a charger at.

Unless said city centers go on a massive infrastructure initiative to install curbside charging everywhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kill me now posted:

Unless said city centers go on a massive infrastructure initiative to install curbside charging everywhere.

...When me poo poo turns purple and smells like rainbows sherbet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And I'd say people living "downtown" in large cities are less than ideal EV candidates. Most of them don't drive much.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Sicilian posted:

My girlfriend has a 4mile commute in the suburbs, and there are groceries/places to eat out/etc within a 5mile radius, so me and her?

Also it depends on price. Poor battery, and asking $15k, no dice. Poor battery and asking $5k, yeah maybe.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

And I'd say people living "downtown" in large cities are less than ideal EV candidates. Most of them don't drive much.

I'm curious if electric bicycles are going to take off. The examples I've seen in NY are pretty interesting--particular one used as a pedelec delivery cart.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
There's an assumption that batteries will be terrible right after going off warranty, which certainly hasn't proven to be the case with Prius taxi fleets, though that's admittedly a hybrid vs a full-electric. There are also people tracking battery degradation of full-electrics and the ones I looked at were showing 10-15% degradation at 150k miles.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agronox posted:

I'm curious if electric bicycles are going to take off. The examples I've seen in NY are pretty interesting--particular one used as a pedelec delivery cart.

I could definitely see this, especially if they get cheap and ubiquitous enough to where it's not the end of the world if it get stolen.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Agronox posted:

Didn’t NYC just ban e-bikes?

I know there’s a lot of interest in the Arcimoto SRK as a delivery vehicle.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Didn’t NYC just ban e-bikes?

Hahaha, holy poo poo you're right.

Well, let me say that there's not much in the way of enforcement I suppose.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Sicilian posted:

I did exactly this, except the battery is fine. Our spark has been our only car since we got it, and we rent for the 2% of driving per year it doesn't cover. We paid $10k for a car that covers our driving needs and doesn't use gas. We recently moved further away from our workplaces and are thinking about a longer range full ev, but we're going to keep the spark until it dies and I think even then I'd replace it with another. We just don't often drive more than 70mi round trip in a day, and even once the battery degrades it will still be able to do plenty.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

I did exactly this, except the battery is fine. Our spark has been our only car since we got it, and we rent for the 2% of driving per year it doesn't cover. We paid $10k for a car that covers our driving needs and doesn't use gas. We recently moved further away from our workplaces and are thinking about a longer range full ev, but we're going to keep the spark until it dies and I think even then I'd replace it with another. We just don't often drive more than 70mi round trip in a day, and even once the battery degrades it will still be able to do plenty.

My brother and his wife share an early Leaf in greater suburban Phoenix. It was cheap used, the range is enough for her commute (he bikes,) and if they have to move big stuff they pull a trailer with it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Sicilian posted:

Most of the EVs on the road in my part of the world are grey import Leafs from Japan, and some of them are 5+ years old now.

Even if the range is degraded a bit they can make excellent commuter cars for someone with a sane commute distance.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

blugu64 posted:

My girlfriend has a 4mile commute in the suburbs, and there are groceries/places to eat out/etc within a 5mile radius, so me and her?

Also it depends on price. Poor battery, and asking $15k, no dice. Poor battery and asking $5k, yeah maybe.

Used leafs with 8 bars sell for $5,000. They have around 40 to 50 mile range.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

Yeah I see early model BEVs as road legal golf carts, which I would say there is definitely a market for. My volt with its 53 mi range, is able to be on battery for 95% of its life, and I have a 34 mi total commute. With a smaller commute I could see a sub 8k errand runner with a similar range working for a lot of people, especially in a two car household.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Yeah I see early model BEVs as road legal golf carts, which I would say there is definitely a market for. My volt with its 53 mi range, is able to be on battery for 95% of its life, and I have a 34 mi total commute. With a smaller commute I could see a sub 8k errand runner with a similar range working for a lot of people, especially in a two car household.

Used to work for GEM, a bit after Chrysler had bought them. Those were battery powered neighborhood vehicles, basically a step between golf cart and real car. Could get them enclosed with some minor amenities and we built quite a few for security uses. Limited to 25mph and around 30 miles of range, street legal.

The Leaf certainly feels like the step up from that to fit into metro use with real car safety and features. Enough to go from something that has a very limited use to something that can fit 95% of the average daily transport needs for a large amount of people.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Internet Explorer posted:

Most "downtown" areas are surrounded by what were the suburbs a 100~ years ago, I live 5 miles/10 minutes from the center of downtown in a single family neighborhood in a house built in the 40s.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

At what point is this covered for battery replacement like how bad does it need to get?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Koirhor posted:

At what point is this covered for battery replacement like how bad does it need to get?

8 bars qualify you for a replacement depending on if you're in warranty or not. There are posts on the Leaf subreddit of people who are nearing the end of their warranty with 9 bars left and are actively working to destroy their battery enough to lose one more bar before times up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Most "downtown" areas are surrounded by what were the suburbs a 100~ years ago, I live 5 miles/10 minutes from the center of downtown in a single family neighborhood in a house built in the 40s.

And did you have a point with that statement or...?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

Is that 8 out of 10? Not bad. Only thing I don't like is they fail the small overlap crash test. But neither of my cars now would do any better (2006 & 1994).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Out of 12 I think.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

McPhearson posted:

8 bars qualify you for a replacement depending on if you're in warranty or not. There are posts on the Leaf subreddit of people who are nearing the end of their warranty with 9 bars left and are actively working to destroy their battery enough to lose one more bar before times up.

Would paying for an extended warranty on the powertrain not almost guarantee one free battery replacement due to age/mileage it would seem like a no brainer.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Koirhor posted:

Too old to qualify, ones with replaced batteries sell for more.

I am dumb this is already been posted.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the first Volts sold re: battery life since the 2011 models are approaching the age limit of their warranty.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the first Volts sold re: battery life since the 2011 models are approaching the age limit of their warranty.
The thing about the volt vs the leaf is GM was ultra conservative with its battery, using both liquid cooling and a generous buffer of excess capacity to prolong the life. The Leaf on the other hand is air cooled and runs close to capacity to maximize range. The 1st gen Volt also still has twice the range of some new PHEVs like the cmax, so even with degradation you are getting value there. The gas backup also lets a volt act like a hybrid even if the battery is toast, while a leaf with a toasted battery is useless.
It also depends if GM comes out with something like a voltec equinox that may effect the market more. Also the ev credit expiring may cause prices to stabilize a little?

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I'm seeing multiple model 3's listed for sale on my local craigslist. Listed at 59K and 56.5K. I suspect people are buying just to flip for the tax credit even though legally you can't.

Pay retail to get a used buggy first release car without the tax credits!

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

RZA Encryption posted:

Where do you live? A coworker says his range has degraded greatly in our hot cali climate since there is no active cooling measures for the battery. He is returning his lease early because the range has made his commute which was not close to being on the bubble mileage wise when the car was bought into a hair-raising, hyper milling, stress filled commute.

• Locked thread