Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sakurazuka posted:

At least running doesn't deplete your hp

Every single loving time. Every drat time. I swear it's you every time, too. Stop loving reminding me of Dragon Song. Here I am, enjoying a nice breakfast, browsing through news articles, flipping onto SA, and you do this bullshit to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Edit your post, maybe people will skip to the last page and not notice the game we're talking about.

I'm gonna pretend we're talking about Half-Minute Hero, a game where running does deplete your HP.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

I'm Monster Huntering my way through the game with no UI, no numbers, no nothing, and it's great. The gameplay is actually quite good and if you aren't looking at stagger bars or damage percentages and poo poo, enemies actually have really good wind-ups and tells and I'm parrying like a pro. Not seeing your HP is also fine because you don't die when you hit 0, you just enter Critical status, where you can die, but you can also instantly eat a Phoenix Down. Not seeing your MP is a little different but the "no MP" animation is quick and blatant, and all you have to do is chug an Ether.

And the dungeon design is also good enough that you can mentally map it out with landmarks and not use a HUD or minimap at all.

Remember, warping to hang points also restores MP!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

Remember how you had to pick money and items or xp when winning a fight?

Remember how you couldnt select your target in a fight?

Remember how I killed a franchise forever?

It also had level scaling so picking XP was pointless

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

pichupal posted:

Edit your post, maybe people will skip to the last page and not notice the game we're talking about.

I'm gonna pretend we're talking about Half-Minute Hero, a game where running does deplete your HP.

I miss half minute hero, it was great imo.

Speaking of BoF, I keep meaning to play those games at singe point. Even Dragon Quarter just to see how bad it really is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BrightWing posted:

Speaking of BoF, I keep meaning to play those games at singe point. Even Dragon Quarter just to see how bad it really is.

You'll be disappointed, as Dragon Quarter is loving great!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

corn in the bible posted:

You'll be disappointed, as Dragon Quarter is loving great!

It's actually the most okay BoF game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shoenin posted:

I wish FF6 Bushido was good and Mr. Thou wasnt the resident lowtier bitchboy of everything FF6 related in spinoffs and crossovers.

Dispatch is on par with Drill or Aura Bolt all the way up until you hit ~lv35 and get about 40-50 Vigor, and only then if you have a Genji Glove.

corn in the bible posted:

Remember, warping to hang points also restores MP!

Well yeah but once in a while you get into an encounter where there's basically no hang points, so I feel like it's more universal to say "brah just pound the Ether" :v:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BrightWing posted:

Start with 2, it hasn’t aged very well. 3, 4, and Dragon Quarter are all competent RPGs you’ll likely find something to appreciate in.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I always seem to run into this weird juxtaposed sentiment that Dragon Quarter has a bunch of weird as gently caress mechanics, then turning around to people jumping in that it's one of the best in the series.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never sell used games but man I sure hell made an exception for Lunar: Dragon Song. When you're desperate for an RPG and you have a shiny new DS...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

BrightWing posted:

I always seem to run into this weird juxtaposed sentiment that Dragon Quarter has a bunch of weird as gently caress mechanics, then turning around to people jumping in that it's one of the best in the series.

I mean, this forum is the 1% nerdom of rpgs, so being different and obtuse is seen as a positive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Dragon Quarter has a lot of weird mechanics and one which is probably poorly implimented but those weird mechanics tend to come together very well and for an engaging and interesting game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrightWing posted:

Yeah it's both. If you can adjust to the mechanics there's some good game there, but it's a lot more adjustment than "they switched the attack and cancel buttons".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Weird and unique games existing is purely a good and healthy thing for the whole medium, even if it means only a specific part of the audience will ever fully appreciate them.

One thing Dragon Quarter is definitely remembered for is its incredibly good atmosphere, which is a bigger deal than one might think for a lot of people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I'm Monster Huntering my way through the game with no UI, no numbers, no nothing, and it's great. The gameplay is actually quite good and if you aren't looking at stagger bars or damage percentages and poo poo, enemies actually have really good wind-ups and tells and I'm parrying like a pro. Not seeing your HP is also fine because you don't die when you hit 0, you just enter Critical status, where you can die, but you can also instantly eat a Phoenix Down. Not seeing your MP is a little different but the "no MP" animation is quick and blatant, and all you have to do is chug an Ether.

And the dungeon design is also good enough that you can mentally map it out with landmarks and not use a HUD or minimap at all.

Okay, this is the post that convinced me to buy it on PC and give it a real, good shot. I tried out the demo and the gameplay really didn't click, but maybe I just haven't really gotten a hang of it yet.

What ascension things should I grab first? It's just so wide-open I have no idea where to even start.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Exploration

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Noctis is the best, dorky protag with actual emotions

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Remember how you had to pick money and items or xp when winning a fight?

Remember how you couldnt select your target in a fight?

Remember how I killed a franchise forever?

That game was so bad I couldn't even make it through the LP.

Dragon Song, Tierkreis, Lufia 2's remake, BoF6...

When a JRPG series gets killed off some developers really drive home the point. :smith:

BrightWing posted:

It'd probably be fine as its own RPG but it's a bad BoF game.

BoF3 and BoF4 are the best in the series though. BoF1 is still fun (if extremely basic) and BoF2 was alright at the time but has aged the worst out of any in the series.

BoF3's gene system is the best dragon system. Warrior/Myrmidon are both pretty cool.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

So a friend has just informed me of this, and holy poo poo I am already preordering and politely ignoring the typos in the description.
yo I am also going to buy this thanks for the heads-up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragon Quarter is definitely a massive departure as a BoF game and has a few weird mechanics (like the save system, which can also be easily exploited), but overall it's a fantastic game with a surprisingly effective story. Dragon Quarter blew me away the first time I played it, honestly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BrightWing posted:

Dragon Quarter is one of the best games ever made.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dragon Quarter was a good game, which also meant that it was a huge departure from the BoF series as a whole.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dragon Quarter made me feel like a genius when I figured out how to loop and grind

Of course everyone else on the internet figured it out sooner but I didn't know that at the time

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's just so goddamn interesting for a JRPG, the way it weaves all those different mechanics together. The world and story are great, the atmosphere is great, the art still looks drat good. It's a drat shame it killed the franchise.

I'll always love BoF2, mostly for nostalgia though I think it's a solid as hell JRPG (dat localisation was a choice, tho), but Dragon Quarter is so. loving. good.

I especially love the way dragon form is treated as incredibly dangerous and risky to the point you could game over if you abuse it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel the same as you about D-Dive in Dragon Quarter

From a mechanical/aesthetic point of view the power to turn into a loving dragon (apocalyptic news in all the BoFs far as I know) never really got the gameplay respect it seemingly merited--like yeah it was powerful but not something you couldn't use every battle, or that you pay a heavy price for like the stories imply

In DQ D-Dive just lets you straight up turbofuck any fight or boss in the game but there's a long term price to pay to do it and I just find that more interesting, even if it can lead to Giant Enemy Crab Syndrome when actually playing it :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of Giant Enemy Crab Syndrome, FFXV question: how much should I be dumping into elemancy, both in terms of AP and in how much potency or elemental power or whatever I dump into what I craft

I know they're more like deadly grenades than something you should regularly use in a fight, so I guess "don't spend AP on it" and "dump everything into like 2 spells at a time"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Giant Enemy Crab Syndrome, FFXV question: how much should I be dumping into elemancy, both in terms of AP and in how much potency or elemental power or whatever I dump into what I craft

I know they're more like deadly grenades than something you should regularly use in a fight, so I guess "don't spend AP on it" and "dump everything into like 2 spells at a time"?

Don't waste AP on anything you're not going to be using all the drat time. It's a pain to grind up AP for stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

if you put lots of treasure or items into a spell you get extra ones out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Don't waste AP on anything you're not going to be using all the drat time. It's a pain to grind up AP for stuff.

What are must-have things to buy with AP? I'm guessing the Exploration ones Lunchmeat Larry recommended are the "get more AP from <activity>" ones, which seem like a good investment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I borrowed Dissidia NT from a friend, and I don't even get what I'm supposed to be doing in it. How do I keep track of enemies? What am I trying to do? What on earth is going on? The game seems like kind of a mess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Must-buy AP things are generally ones that activate all the time (link strikes, increase tech gauge by attacking) and the best skill in the game is Ignis's Regroup. It is a FULL party heal, including healing people in Danger mode.

You basically slap Ignis with as much protection as possible and just dodge things for a while until you hit 2 tech bars.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the best ascension skill is the one that gives you more stamina, but yes, passive improvements are good. the stat boosts aren't too important since you have to be high level for them to do anything anyway.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Harrow posted:

Okay, this is the post that convinced me to buy it on PC and give it a real, good shot. I tried out the demo and the gameplay really didn't click, but maybe I just haven't really gotten a hang of it yet.

What ascension things should I grab first? It's just so wide-open I have no idea where to even start.

I would suggest the chocobo and driving nodes that give ap. If you find yourself enjoying fishing and the like go for that as well. Then I'd probably suggest working your way to being able to swap to the bros and get more accessory slots. Generally though if you get things that improve ap gain early you aren't really wasting getting the things you like. I personally like wait mode for example just for the benefit of getting to libra poo poo myself that way instead of hoping Ignis deigns to libra it eventually.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also is there a way to get ignis to stop being a whiny baby about driving at night and just let me take over without the whole cutscene thing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

also is there a way to get ignis to stop being a whiny baby about driving at night and just let me take over without the whole cutscene thing?

Get far enough into the story and/or get headlights from Cindy's quest

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Annoyingly the “get AP for x activity” tend to pay out so slowly for AP that even if theyre the first skills you buy its likely by endgame youve still not paid back the investment

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up Elemancy 1 and I draw 40-50 magic from a single source. Pair that with the ultimate wepaon, Engine Blade MkIII, and you have pretty good magic sustainability. I have five magic bottles right now (doing a bunch of hunts in ch3, maybe been to half to two thirds of the towns). I'm probably gonna get Magic Power 2 the next time I have >99AP banked.

Barudak posted:

Annoyingly the “get AP for x activity” tend to pay out so slowly for AP that even if theyre the first skills you buy its likely by endgame youve still not paid back the investment

Maybe for Chocobo and Walking because they're mutually exclusive sources of AP, but everything else has absolutely already paid for itself. Don't get the Car AP one if you fast travel a lot though, but the only time I fast travel is at night. Hell, I get like 2-3AP just walking around in dungeons.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 11, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Episode Prompto is very interesting. Not sure how good the gameplay is when you're fighting monsters but it's interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kanfy posted:

Weird and unique games existing is purely a good and healthy thing for the whole medium, even if it means only a specific part of the audience will ever fully appreciate them.

Hell yeah. Legend of Mana is my favorite game and it's complete poo poo gameplay-wise.

Also I started playing this FF15 game finally and it might be the rare good Final Fantasy...!?

(jk they're all good except for the ones I don't like)