Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got a news alert on my phone that they’re making their own TV network, so there must be a decent amount of them out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just got a news alert on my phone that they’re making their own TV network, so there must be a decent amount of them out there.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They're signal-boosting to try and make it look like they're a massive thing: the church still claims to have 20 million members*. During the '00's, while their membership was declining by 50%, they built a bunch of shiny new buildings that ended up going largely unused to make it look like they had a large presence, while they quietly shuttered most of their old buildings and fenced them off so that n o one can see that they're empty.

They still have very deep pockets for their size, because they've rooked some very rich people for a lot of money.

*They count everyone who has ever bought a Dianetics book at any time as a "member".

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They count everyone who has ever bought a Dianetics book at any time as a "member".

Wait, does that make me a Hare Krishna?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, watching Going Clear, there's probably only thousands of Scientologists, but they like to pretend there's millions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

*They count everyone who has ever bought a Dianetics book at any time as a "member".

The numbers off this are also skewed since they literally organize and go on shopping sprees where they send out the slaves to buy up every dianetics book in a store so they can pretend like it's popular

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

The numbers off this are also skewed since they literally organize and go on shopping sprees where they send out the slaves to buy up every dianetics book in a store so they can pretend like it's popular

I've known multiple people who have worked in book stores and they always tell stories about how copies of it would come in with stickers from other stores, and because a lot of them were impossible to remove without wrecking the book, they'd just get thrown out.

I bet they don't even considered sold copies members, its shipped copies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I used to work a used book store and had a couple people buy em all up and a coworker told me that they had done that before and once even had someone demand that copies that were visibly used be given to them for free because having them on the shelf for sale in that condition tarnished their image lol

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Right Wing Welfare books do that too. So Gunny McRussiaMoney's latest book about how women wearing pants is ruining America will get bought up by organizations so they'll be able to say "NYT Best seller!' Though I read they recently changed the way they record book sales.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Right Wing Welfare books do that too. So Gunny McRussiaMoney's latest book about how women wearing pants is ruining America will get bought up by organizations so they'll be able to say "NYT Best seller!' Though I read they recently changed the way they record book sales.

There was a recent 'book' where they scammed the whole thing, calling up bookstores and preordering a bunch of copies but never actually shipping the book to them. That didn't matter because standing orders counted, and the book got onto the NYT YA list without ever really existing.

It was all a plan to sell the movie rights or something.

So I would assume something changed in response to that.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wait, does that make me a Hare Krishna?

Dianetics cure ya much better than Krishna

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There was a recent 'book' where they scammed the whole thing, calling up bookstores and preordering a bunch of copies but never actually shipping the book to them. That didn't matter because standing orders counted, and the book got onto the NYT YA list without ever really existing.

It was all a plan to sell the movie rights or something.

So I would assume something changed in response to that.

You could buy it as an ebook but they probably weren't planning on actually ever making a physical copy.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

BlackJosh posted:

Dianetics cure ya much better than Krishna

I don't think I could handle the excess niacin, I'm better off contemplating my navel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I bet they don't even considered sold copies members, its shipped copies.

This is how comic sales work so it wouldn't be shocking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

site posted:

Turns out when it's discovered your cult is actually a pyramid scheme that uses brainwashing and all sorts of illegal tactics to keep your members in line no one wants to join

Except the poster you quoted just explained that evangelical tele-churches pack 30,000 in a stadium every Sunday.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rhyno posted:

Well, Xenu was originally a Hulk villain...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BiggerBoat posted:

Except the poster you quoted just explained that evangelical tele-churches pack 30,000 in a stadium every Sunday.

heyoo :downsrim:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Random: I was going to pick up toothpaste at the store and accidentally got spoiled about a minor(?) Thor development for Infinity War via a toy. Thor forges the Stormbreaker, which is an ax, and the handle is made out of Groot. Makes sounds,
according to the box.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah the internet really threw scientology for a loop, all their secrets got out and they couldn't do anything about it and haven't really evolved a strategy since. I used to be an anti-sci protester, I was even dead agented once (net result, my landlord said "really? That is so loving cool!"), but they're so diminished I haven't done anything lately.

As an aside Tom Cruise is so deep in the org there is nothing that he is ignorant or unaware of. He may not have real "belief" (at this point I'm not sure anyone does) but he has implicitly and explicitly condoned or caused events to occur that are capital E evil.a

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Random: I was going to pick up toothpaste at the store and accidentally got spoiled about a minor(?) Thor development for Infinity War via a toy. Thor forges the Stormbreaker, which is an ax, and the handle is made out of Groot. Makes sounds,
according to the box.

I knew that first part, but not the second. That’s... weird.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

according to the box.

hadn't heard about the groot thing, thats unexpected

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah the internet really threw scientology for a loop, all their secrets got out and they couldn't do anything about it and haven't really evolved a strategy since. I used to be an anti-sci protester, I was even dead agented once (net result, my landlord said "really? That is so loving cool!"), but they're so diminished I haven't done anything lately.

As an aside Tom Cruise is so deep in the org there is nothing that he is ignorant or unaware of. He may not have real "belief" (at this point I'm not sure anyone does) but he has implicitly and explicitly condoned or caused events to occur that are capital E evil.a

what's dead agented mean

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

what's dead agented mean

Character assassination.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ah ty

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

The problem is that the people still in there are being abused and enslaved and brainwashed and it's very hard to get them out.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rhyno posted:

The Scientology building in Hollywood was crazy.

My doctor is on the backside of the that building. It's super weird seeing it in person every time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
your dr is implanting you with thetans rip

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

twistedmentat posted:

You don't need much to become a NYT Bestseller in the first place. Takes about 1500 sold hardcovers in the release week if you choose the week well nowadays.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

site posted:

what's dead agented mean

They put up posters with your name and face saying "(person) is a religious bigot" at your workplace and home. If they're bored that moves up to pickets with signs and of course various sting style dirty tricks trying to get something embarrassing bon audio/video. They only did the first to me.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

They only did the first to me.

Well you post on this website so don't be too sure.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Scaramouche posted:

They put up posters with your name and face saying "(person) is a religious bigot" at your workplace and home. If they're bored that moves up to pickets with signs and of course various sting style dirty tricks trying to get something embarrassing bon audio/video. They only did the first to me.
God the stuff I saw on that Leah Remini show was pretty nasty.

The ‘Church’ goes after ex-Scientologists who speak out with a vengeance. In one case they rented or bought a house across the street from one former member and proceeded to spy on him for like a year. In the past they have tried to smear people as pedophiles to ruin people’s lives, or have their family members who are still in Scientology record videos talking about how awful their parent/sibling/whoever was to them. It’s really gross.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This is maybe getting a little bit off-topic, but they've set up a new centre here in Dublin (there already was one) and are apparently sending "Human Rights" teaching packs out to teachers in an effort to get kids on board.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/how-scientology-is-trying-to-insert-itself-into-irish-schools-1.3327646

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Leah Remini might make a decent She-Hulk. But I might just want to see her and Mark Ruffalo fight.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The internet's led to a lot of crap, but I bet it's been brutal for scientology since they can't control the message nearly as well as they used to do. People can just google them and get an itemised list of all the shady poo poo they've done.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We have our new Joker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjFxgHedgM

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Put this man on Gotham.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I want to believe that on a certain level he thinks this is a real audition

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Neil Breen as the Riddler.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I don't hate this? Like it's meant to be funny and silly, but I could totally see Tommy Wiseau playing a villain in a comic book movie now, and I WANT to see that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

I don't hate this? Like it's meant to be funny and silly, but I could totally see Tommy Wiseau playing a villain in a comic book movie now, and I WANT to see that now.

• Locked thread