Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Psion posted:

keep your fetishes on the slab, please :v:

Or play Dead Space.

Speaking of fetishes... and gore, what are the best gore mods for SSE? I've got EBT, violens and heartbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

quote:

It seems nearly every criticism of his mod relating the mod drop fiasco is now being removed. I had wrote a large paragraph and also thing. He has even removed a comment where a person claimed that he had uninstalled mod drop and it was still detecting it that he had it installed. I've also seen other comments where instead of responding kindly he just excused all of them as pirates. I had posted a heart felt comment as well criticizing his actions and that was moved as well. I will be archiving every once in a while to keep undeleted comments alive.

I originally though Fore was good guy and had good intentions with all of this and it seems he doesn't anymore.

EDIT: Nexus mods are now censoring criticism. "Any comment accusing fore of injecting spyware into FNIS will be removed. Such accusations are unfounded, and we will not allow them (if you still believe that FNIS includes spyware, we recommend looking up the definition of the term)."

EDIT: I have now been banned by Fore from his mods, and the nexus mods have banned criticism from his mods as well for saying his mods were spyware which I wasn't and his mods are not spyware.

I don't think these people understand how this all works. This is how the guy who runs Nexus feels about criticism:

quote:

I honestly think you’re underestimating the trolling power of some individuals within the community. I think you seem to think that rating trolls are idiotic children who TyPe LiKe ThIs and rate mods 1 out of 5 with the comment “ThIs MoD iS poo poo LOLOLOL!!!111”.

Ratings on the Nexus used to be attached to a minimum character limit comment that went along with the rating. This was when we used a weighted rating system using a very specific algorithm in our top files.

While hundreds of people would rate a mod 5 out of 5, you’d get trolls who would deliberately rate a mod 3 or 4 out of 5, and attach a well-written and cohesive reason for it. We’re talking someone rating Wyrmstooth or Falskaar 3 or 4 out of 5 because they found that certain textures were of a lower quality than elsewhere in the mod (providing specific examples, so they did their homework), or because they found the voice acting was slightly subpar and so on and so forth. Basically, using subjective opinions as a reason to rate a mod lower. Written very well, but you knew it was trolling, or at least twattish, because no one expects an amateur mod to be professional quality and/or recorded in a sound studio in Hollywood. But how can you tell someone their subjective opinions are wrong?

If you remove that rating, that troll will come down on you hard. Why aren’t his “opinions” valid when everyone else’s are, simply because he doesn’t agree with everyone else? “You’re just like the Nexus and want to bubble wrap the mod authors”, and so on and so forth.

What, you’re going to let the rating stand? Watch how others who don’t like the mod author realise this and jump on the band wagon. They’ll begin filing similar ratings just to piss off the mod author because they said something on these forums or the official forums that then got shared on Reddit/4Chan/some social network site about paid modding/file permissions/enter some equally controversial topic here that wasn’t popular with a certain group of people, so they want to get their own back. Once they have a barometer on ModPicker of what is and isn’t acceptable, they’ll skate that line of acceptability to the fullest extent, and word spreads fast.

How are you going to deal with such ratings that, yes, can upset mod authors despite there being hundreds of good ratings to offset this?

It sounds ridiculous. It sounds like I’m being over the top and exaggerating. I’m not. It wasn’t just a small problem, it was a big problem for the Nexus. Several of the mod authors in this thread who are against your rating system were around when this was happening and they can certainly vouch for it. You might think you can moderate it, but you can’t. To think you can is arrogance (or naivety).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psion posted:

I'm pretty sure just by saying those words, you've made such a mod exist

Arthmoor warned us!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Nexus: So :spergin: that even goons are embarrassed by it

e: I don't really hate the people who run the Nexus for getting on their knees and servicing the big mod creators, they know which side their bread's buttered on and that's just sound business. The astounding dissertations they write trying to justify it as something other than a business decision, however, are transcendent comedy for people who couldn't care less like myself.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 9, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Whoa when did the Beyond Skyrim team decide to do an Atmora thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHb4S68BjI

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: I don't really hate the people who run the Nexus for getting on their knees and servicing the big mod creators, they know which side their bread's buttered on and that's just sound business.

I honestly feel like there are probably some major diminishing returns on it, even given that they have a near monopoly on being a mods host. Like at a certain point, how much do you have to give over to a bunch of unstable crybabies that it becomes an operational problem to keep catering to their demands?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Whoa when did the Beyond Skyrim team decide to do an Atmora thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHb4S68BjI

Oh yes! Thanks for sharing. I've been keeping up with BS, but missed this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I honestly feel like there are probably some major diminishing returns on it, even given that they have a near monopoly on being a mods host. Like at a certain point, how much do you have to give over to a bunch of unstable crybabies that it becomes an operational problem to keep catering to their demands?

Honestly we're well beyond the point where the tables should have turned. If you want people to actually see and play your mod you have 3 options: Bethesda, Nexus, Slab

So if you're a modding weirdo like these children and get off on internet fame, you're going to go with the largest of the three, Nexus.

Nexus should focus on the consumers that actually butter their bread. And to make it more consumer friendly they need to be more strict in their dealings with the authors.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Nah, as much as we'd all like for it to be that way, it's not. Customers want good mods, many of the good mods are made by a bunch of unstable crybabies and if they go to another site they'll inevitably take the customers with them. Those guys get away with being unstable crybabies because they make and give away content tons of people (which = eyeballs which = advertising bucks) want. If Nexus tells Arthmoor to get bent it'll make you and me and a bunch of other people cheer but it will be nothing but bad for Nexus' bottom line.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah, as much as we'd all like for it to be that way, it's not. Customers want good mods, many of the good mods are made by a bunch of unstable crybabies and if they go to another site they'll inevitably take the customers with them. Those guys get away with being unstable crybabies because they make and give away content tons of people (which = eyeballs which = advertising bucks) want. If Nexus tells Arthmoor to get bent it'll make you and me and a bunch of other people cheer but it will be nothing but bad for Nexus' bottom line.

That was true a few years ago. But even if Arthmoor left and took all his mods, what would be the first 1000 google search results for skyrim mods? nexus.

Hell, they could even rebrand themselves as a "mod hub" and just link to wherever a mod maker chooses to host. Add in a quality control disclaimer and you're profiting off the mod while slowly killing their downloads.

Basically, if Nexus were actually hard core capitalists they could have modders nuts in a vice grip. Children are bad at business.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nasgate posted:

Hell, they could even rebrand themselves as a "mod hub" and just link to wherever a mod maker chooses to host. Add in a quality control disclaimer and you're profiting off the mod while slowly killing their downloads.

isn't this modpicker

I mean aside from the killing downloads part, because mp didn't

e: I also think the convenience factor of a one-stop shop is huge for getting to basically dictate terms. Being able to have a single place to get drat near everything is powerful for drawing both authors and users - I keep tabs on a few non-Nexus mod authors and it's loving obnoxious trying to parse a reblog of a deleted tumblr post pointing to a mediafire link which ends up being a 404 anyway.

the business model is working for a lot of people as-is, even if it could probably change for the better.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nasgate posted:

That was true a few years ago. But even if Arthmoor left and took all his mods, what would be the first 1000 google search results for skyrim mods? nexus.

Basically, if Nexus were actually hard core capitalists they could have modders nuts in a vice grip. Children are bad at business.

Make things easy for users and it doesn't matter what modders say. Ask me how I know :getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

like seriously, I think it's crazy how any nexus author can, at the click of a button and with zero oversight or even review process, just ban someone from all their mods. It means the lowest common denominator of capriciousness determines the floor for interacting with any comment thread sitewide. I mean that's handing authority of how the community end of their business operates over to anyone who can figure out what the upload button is.

At some point I believe nexus is gonna have to put an end to that or at least reign it in with a review/oversight process, but I guess not today :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 9, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

The other side of this, though, is that if there's nowhere else to go for mods, there's nowhere else to distribute them. Yeah Arthmoor could gently caress off but where's he going to go to be a modding celebrity that others defer to and treat like a valued expert? The biggest prima donnas do it for the acclaim and they need Nexus for that as much as users need Nexus for mods.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

KakerMix posted:

Make things easy for users and it doesn't matter what modders say. Ask me how I know :getin:

Is this a Minecraft drama thing, cause I genuinely don't know how you know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

The other side of this, though, is that if there's nowhere else to go for mods, there's nowhere else to distribute them. Yeah Arthmoor could gently caress off but where's he going to go to be a modding celebrity that others defer to and treat like a valued expert? The biggest prima donnas do it for the acclaim and they need Nexus for that as much as users need Nexus for mods.

he can hang out with that one insane VTMB guy. teswhatever.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dark0ne pmed me on the es forums like fifteen years ago saying It was professional slander that I said his username was silly and I had to retract my comments. Now he runs the Nexus

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm 100% convinced that the weird sexmod authors are actually the most normal people that are active in the modding community.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nasgate posted:

I'm 100% convinced that the weird sexmod authors are actually the most normal people that are active in the modding community.

Isn't Fore a weird sexmod author?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Nasgate posted:

I mean I'm sure they know their audience better

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

He makes a mod that allows for animations and idles. However, people who add mods to make their characters look like toons from the game "Second life" like to make their characters into dolls and use sex mods, animation mods, idle mods etc. Basically half of the pictures you find on 4chan Tesgenerals threads.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So, actual question about modding. I was using skse64 for a bit. But after my last reboot it no longer works. The skse64 loader pulls up the skyrim loader instead of the game. I've reinstalled skse, and almost all the threads I've found about this problem are for 32. The one thread I found for 64 about this problem suggests making sure steam is open, it is. I am running the loader/nmm in Administrator mode. They also said a computer restart made it start working, I've restarted 13 times since the issue.

Im not too worried since it's still alpha and a lot of skse reliant mods are either not that important or have non-skse versions. But if anyone has suggestions, lemme know.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Mods are great especially if you get the game on a good sale

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Nasgate posted:

So, actual question about modding. I was using skse64 for a bit. But after my last reboot it no longer works. The skse64 loader pulls up the skyrim loader instead of the game. I've reinstalled skse, and almost all the threads I've found about this problem are for 32. The one thread I found for 64 about this problem suggests making sure steam is open, it is. I am running the loader/nmm in Administrator mode. They also said a computer restart made it start working, I've restarted 13 times since the issue.

Im not too worried since it's still alpha and a lot of skse reliant mods are either not that important or have non-skse versions. But if anyone has suggestions, lemme know.

Try loading Steam in admin mode, maybe?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nasgate posted:

did steam automatically update skyrim>

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

Try loading Steam in admin mode, maybe?

This worked.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Just for my edification, is your Skyrim install in one of the Program Files folders?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Just for my edification, is your Skyrim install in one of the Program Files folders?

yeah. By the time I learned better, I already had more mods than the hassle of moving it all would be worth.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nasgate posted:

yeah. By the time I learned better, I already had more mods than the hassle of moving it all would be worth.

(for the record, it's not that hard to move it.)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

(for the record, it's not that hard to move it.)

It's not difficulty, it's time. Time that could be spent playingmodding Skyrim

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wiegieman posted:

Is this a Minecraft drama thing, cause I genuinely don't know how you know.

Much like the drama-seeking approval narcissists that are in TES modding, Minecraft modding worked similarly with an established place it was done, a disdain for users, mod makers patting themselves on the back screaming 'copyright' all the time. All we did a thing that made it dramatically easier for the end users and the established community hated it. We were vilified but we made it so the users were who was being catered to and appreciated and wouldn't you know it the community changed dramatically.
Like yeah users are dumb as gently caress, that's why you make things as easy as possible. Minecraft before the popularization of modpacks was loving awful and we feel pretty dang good about avoiding the TES trap that's put its modding scene where it currently is. Minecraft isn't Skyrim and there is no mulitplayer so the modpack aspect isn't nearly as strong (all users need to have the same pack to play together) but still. Nexus could tell the modders how it's done and change pretty much whatever they'd like but the dude at the top is exactly like the worst of the modders. He also makes a gently caress ton of money and he is straight up lying if he says he doesn't lmao.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So the OP hasn't been updated since I stopped playing last time, mid-2017. I'm being pulled back into this thanks to some European opera company.

What's the new hotness as far as cool and good SE mods go? Sadly I am already all-in with NMM, since MO wasn't any good back then.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

honestly, the best choices for SE mods are the SE version of the best oldtim mods.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Skyrim VR for PC on April 3rd http://store.steampowered.com/app/611670/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_VR/ :toot:
Full price again tho ofc.

I'll probably get it unless reports come in saying it's broken. I never got Fallout 4 VR cause i never really enjoyed the base game, but i know i love Skyrim.

quick edit: and also ofc since this one seems to be supporting Rift from the get go

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Is that the loving third Skyrim on Steam? Stop it, Bethesda. Just stop it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cat Mattress posted:

This will be the second copy of Skyrim I'll buy, got the special edition for free :toot:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'd re-buy Skyrim for VR if I had the rig or headset. I'd drop that in a hot second.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I mean SKSE64 is still in alpha, and they'll have to make an SKSEVR too now?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

4th. Regular, Legendary, Special Edition, VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Two years from now, instead of a new TES game, we'll have Skyrim with Smellovision.