Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I like hearing about what people do and don't like in food :shobon:

Right now I'm eating a whole raw onion as if it were an apple because onions taste better than apples.

Sometimes for a quick lunch at work I'll just eat a tomato or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've complained about it here before but often when I ask a guest what time they plan to arrive, they unburden their entire day's events list before they get to "about 7, I guess". There's no reason for me to know how many grandchildren your friend who's taking care of your dogs while you're away has in order for me to know that you're going to get here "at suppertime".
They're just thinking out loud. Instead of staring blankly at you while they go over it in their heads they're sharing their thought process so you know that they're answering your question and haven't fallen into some kind of vegetative state.

TurboTax posted:

switching the dill pickles for terrible sweet pickles
Sweet spiced gherkins are delicious and dill tastes terrible, so that's definitely a good change.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why is Youtube so drat slow. I have a gigabit fiber connection so I shouldn't be having trouble streaming a video in 720p but no it hangs constantly.
I've had a weird thing lately where I can watch almost anything at 720p but there this one let's play I've been watching (Giana Sisters by Jamesman) where I consistently have to set it to the lowest possible video quality or it just keeps pausing to load or, even more annoying, freezing the video while the audio keeps going.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Right now I'm eating a whole raw onion as if it were an apple
Tony?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
When people don't give me the details I need to do my job.

"Show up at this arena with 4000+ people and cover this specific event happening in isolation."

"Okay, where in the building and at what time?"

"...."

:argh:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tiggum posted:

They're just thinking out loud. Instead of staring blankly at you while they go over it in their heads they're sharing their thought process so you know that they're answering your question and haven't fallen into some kind of vegetative state.

An answer like "Our plane lands at four" does not need a full minute of discursive rambling. This is most common with the types who treat the front desk like a conversational watering hole, so I think it's just a different approach to interactions where the point is to kill as much time as possible.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

An answer like "Our plane lands at four" does not need a full minute of discursive rambling. This is most common with the types who treat the front desk like a conversational watering hole, so I think it's just a different approach to interactions where the point is to kill as much time as possible.

I have a similar problem with my sister. A simple "can you pick my daughter up from school" will be preceded with five minutes of what my sister's doing, where she's doing it, who she's doing it with, etc. I don't care. Just tell me when I need to pick my niece up and whether you'll be back in time to give her an evening meal.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

When people cancel plans in the last minute or call you back to plan the event on the same day its supposed to take place. You might as well tell people in advance that you only give half a poo poo about it so you dont get peoples hopes up.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I deliver pizza and I hate it when there's an order for a house down a dirt road and all of the houses mailboxes are at the top of the road and not in order.
For example, last night I had a delivery to 450 SomeDirtRoad and when I got there there were four mailboxes labeled (in order) 450, 453, 454, 449. That's four houses. So I went to the first, presumably 450, no number on the house and no answer at the door. I called them, no answer. So I went to the other three houses and the same, no answer no number on the house. Then I went back to the restaurant and had an angry redneck waiting for me on the phone. His house was the fifth house three miles down from the last house on a road with four mailboxes where his was listed as the first. Of course this was all my fault as I should have been able to use my psychic powers to see his trailer in the woods at night in the rain despite him having NO lights on.

Also to all who order pizza:

Put your loving porch light on.

If your house doesn't have a clear number showing give us a description of your house.

Don't get pissy when we don't have change for $100 for your $15 order.

Tip. loving tip or come get that poo poo yourself. I had to drive 10 miles in the rain on a dirt road in a Fiat. You have a ranch and a huge house, you can afford $50 in pizza, slip me a fiver you prick.

If you're expecting a delivery and suddenly see a strange number calling you ANSWER IT. Put two and two together and realise that hey you are expecting someone and your loving ancient Apartment keypad doesn't loving work so I need you to let me into the complex.

Also: Don't wait till I'm there to ask for napkins/dip cups/etc. I'm a waiter in a vehicle not a condiment dispenser.

Stairs has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Mar 11, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Stairs posted:

I deliver pizza and I hate it when there's an order for a house down a dirt road and all of the houses mailboxes are at the top of the road and not in order.
For example, last night I had a delivery to 450 SomeDirtRoad and when I got there there were four mailboxes labeled (in order) 450, 453, 454, 449. That's four houses. So I went to the first, presumably 450, no number on the house and no answer at the door. I called them, no answer. So I went to the other three houses and the same, no answer no number on the house. Then I went back to the restaurant and had an angry redneck waiting for me on the phone. His house was the fifth house three miles down from the last house on a road with four mailboxes where his was listed as the first. Of course this was all my fault as I should have been able to use my psychic powers to see his trailer in the woods at night in the rain despite him having NO lights on.

If your house doesn't have a clear number showing give us a description of your house.

Tip. loving tip or come get that poo poo yourself. I had to drive 10 miles in the rain on a dirt road in a Fiat. You have a ranch and a huge house, you can afford $50 in pizza, slip me a fiver you prick.

If you're expecting a delivery and suddenly see a strange number calling you ANSWER IT. Put two and two together and realise that hey you are expecting someone and your loving ancient Apartment keypad doesn't loving work so I need you to let me into the complex.

Also: Don't wait till I'm there to ask for napkins/dip cups/etc. I'm a waiter in a vehicle not a condiment dispenser.

I have never delivered but I loving hate my current apt bc the various buildings are not laid out in order, and if you enter a building through one entrance, you can only get to a subset of that building's apartments. It must be hell to deliver to. Like I'm in building 11, which is between buildings 7 and 13, and if you enter the wrong door marked "11" then you can't get to my actual door, you have to exit and re-enter through a different door.

There's a couple places practically next door where all the drivers know this labyrinthine nightmare, but if we order from anywhere else then I just meet them at the front. There is no logical way to explain how to get through this place.

Also I'm curious, do you get better returns from actual cash tips vs writing in a tip on the credit card receipt?

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Mar 11, 2018

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I'm curious, do you get better returns from actual cash tips vs writing in a tip on the credit card receipt?

I have always been curious about this as well. I try to tip in cash but sometimes I don't have small enough bills.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I never have cash so I just over tip on my card. From what I've read it varies from place to place but some places will take card fees out of card tips.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Maybe it’s just that I have anxiety and I don’t want to have to direct someone over the phone but I am super detailed when I’m leaving instructions for delivery people, like apartment building, white wall, just down from the train station on the left coming from town, if you hit the park you’ve gone too far kind of thing

They could still never find it tho :( it’s almost a pet peeve that delivery people apparently always don’t use google maps because sometimes they were loving miles away

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have always been curious about this as well. I try to tip in cash but sometimes I don't have small enough bills.

I got better tips for cards than cash when I worked there. It’s easier for people to write a 10 on a slip than hand me one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

teenytinymouse posted:

Maybe it’s just that I have anxiety and I don’t want to have to direct someone over the phone but I am super detailed when I’m leaving instructions for delivery people, like apartment building, white wall, just down from the train station on the left coming from town, if you hit the park you’ve gone too far kind of thing

They could still never find it tho :( it’s almost a pet peeve that delivery people apparently always don’t use google maps because sometimes they were loving miles away

In my experience they just never read the delivery instructions, ever. Every time I write where my door is, and every single time I see them go to the wrong one and ring the doorbell even though my name isn't on it. It got so bad that I asked my landlord if I could tape a note to the door telling them to go around back for (my name). Sometimes even after that they just don't see it and make me go outside and walk around to the front of the house. Just read the things I write or don't leave an optional instructions box.

Also past-peeve when I lived in an apartment complex: some of the buildings including mine had double letters before the number like "AA 140" and almost every time they'd call and say "yeah uhh I don't see an A 140". I can understand the confusion especially because the buildings weren't ordered in any logical way (i.e. alphabetically as you go down the street), but still, it was irritating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

teenytinymouse posted:

The drivers for pizza place I've ordered from lately seem to just stay in their cars and phone me rather than coming into my yard. I thought the first time that they weren't sure which place it was because the numbers can be hard to see (though my front light was on and my neighbour's wasn't), so the next time I wrote "white metal gate in brown fence" and left the gate itself sitting half open. No difference. They still just phone and make me come out to their car to get my pizza. It's weird.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Move. No, move! MOVE! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO STEP EVERY SECOND OF THE DAY?

...yes, fine, I love you. Now move!

Cats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Move. No, move! MOVE! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO STEP EVERY SECOND OF THE DAY?

...yes, fine, I love you. Now move!

Cats.

I have so many cat peeves, too many to type.

Stupid cute assholes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay so what time are we meeting?

"Well J has to go at 9 so let's meet at 7."

Uh, that's a little early, but okay. So I'll rearrange my schedule so we can do this early.

650. No one there. 655. No one.

710 still no one. I am texting everyone to find out where the gently caress they are.

So at 715 I leave. 740 I get a text that J slept in so everyone wants to meet now at 830.

gently caress. You.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

artsy fartsy posted:

Does this happen with all onions or just the red? I think red is supposed to be the milder type, so do white onions make your head explode?

Red has it's own flavor. White and yellow cook down to a mild flavor that evenly flavors the dish. Red always tastes like red. It's sweeter and doesn't burn your mouth or eyes as much, but the flavor doesn't mellow. You always taste it.

White and yellow are a base for a flavor. Red is a theme. You wouldn't put a whole slice of yellow onion on a sandwich, you wouldn't use red for a mirepoix. Unless that's what you wanted.

IMHO, YMMV

To contribute: Why can't people park in a snowy parking lot? You know where the lines were before? Why have you forgotten now? I'm not talking about being a foot off of the lines, I'm talking parking at 45 degrees when you know that they are straight-in spots.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Me: "Well, gee, I am curious about how to make and prepare X. I will use the wonderful power of the internet to find the best, optimal way of X, or at the very least find a consistent commonality between them."

Internet: hahahaha no I'm going to show you that everyone in the world has a different opinion on how to make and prepare X. To make things even more annoying, the ones that describes their Simple and Easy way of making X will be lying about their simplicity and ease, just to make things more annoying! You'll be right back where you started!

(X being pretty much anything in the world)

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mostlygray posted:

You wouldn't put a whole slice of yellow onion on a sandwich,

What do you have against bbq sandwiches?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Garrand posted:

I never have cash so I just over tip on my card. From what I've read it varies from place to place but some places will take card fees out of card tips.

My bartender friends prefer cash tips because credit card tips automatically show up as taxable income on your W2 thru the POS system and with cash it's :ninja: as to what you choose to report. Plus immediate walking around money is nice

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: any restaurant where cooks don't get a share of tips

It's dumbass bullshit that a busy server gets to make bank from all the tables but a busy cook makes the exact same (minimum) wage whether you're standing around at 3pm on a wednesday or busting rear end till midnight on a holiday evening.

Whine all you want, servers, about how you NEED tips because you get paid practically no wage (bullshit in itself), but two tables will put you cleanly ahead of what the cooks make. On a busy night you'll be making far, far more. Doubly bullshit because in 99% of cases the cooks could run tables if pressed, but the servers sure as hell could not survive the kitchen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Servers can be hot though without burns and scars on their arms

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Restaurant industry is weird because if the restaurant is doing poorly it's possible that the servers are making more than anyone including the owners. People ought to just pay a living wage and abolish tipping entirely, but that's not going to happen when people can't make a living in some places at even double the current federal minimum wage.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Stairs posted:

Last time I ordered a pizza for delivery:

Waited 45 minutes then called the place.

"Yeah, we tried to deliver but nobody answered." (I was home. Nobody ever rang/knocked on my door).

Gave them the address again.

30 minutes later, I go look out my door and happen to see a pizza delivery guy knocking on my next-door neighbor's door. I ask him who he's looking for, and he gives my name or address.

I pay him, get my pizza, and call the pizza place and ask for the manager.

Manager; "You got your pizza didn't ya?"

me: "Yes, but I had to wait almost an hour and the delivery guy went to the wrong house twice."

Manager: "Well, I don't know what to tell ya."

gently caress pizza delivery guys. gently caress people who give mediocre service and whine about how downtrodden they/people in their industry are. Put a modicum of effort into your work and you might just get compensated for your efforts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MightyJoe36 posted:

"Yeah, we tried to deliver but nobody answered." (I was home. Nobody ever rang/knocked on my door).

30 minutes later, I go look out my door and happen to see a pizza delivery guy knocking on my next-door neighbor's door. I ask him who he's looking for, and he gives my name or address.

me: "Yes, but I had to wait almost an hour and the delivery guy went to the wrong house twice."

gently caress pizza delivery guys. gently caress people who give mediocre service and whine about how downtrodden they/people in their industry are. Put a modicum of effort into your work and you might just get compensated for your efforts.

If your management is poo poo, your company treats you like poo poo, and your pay is poo poo.... gently caress no. Those companies deserve no loving above-and-beyond work. You want good service then accept a more expensive loving pizza you dipshit. Till then, yeah, the employees are going to slack off, cut corners, and snag as much food as they can from your piece of poo poo business, and rightfully so.

E: I've seen cooks go from godawful drunk-at-work slackers to amazing, assbusting chefs overnight as soon as they get hired at a place that actually respects them and the trade.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Mar 12, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah no. While it's against company policy at most chain places to treat you like that and it's totally hosed up, so is your attitude. We have to know where a person lives to bring them food, and I'm sorry but if your numbers are not clearly marked then it's not going to go well 9 times out of 10. We aren't psychic. Google Maps isn't always accurate to the actual house also, so that's not always an option.

As for your opinions on my profession: gently caress you. I have gone above and beyond and most of my coworkers have as well. I know a guy that spent 30 minutes on a run helping a customer catch his dog when it ran out the door when he came in. I've walked into an elderly customers home, set out the pizza on the table for her, and got the dishes down because her son had put them up too high for her to reach. We care, we're human beings. Sometimes we just can't loving find you and that doesn't make us lazy or bad people.
Make your own loving pizza if you just can't stand people that sometimes aren't perfect.

Also cash is better than card tipping because we don't have to claim it, but both are equally appreciated!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We'll really miss the days of people delivering pizza when they all get replaced by the automatic ones in the Black Mirror "Crocodile" episode.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It only happened a couple times but another pizza delivery peeve is when they ask you for a beer or something as tip instead of cash and get pissed off when you tell them no. It bothered me for two reasons: drinking and driving is bad, but also I was going to drink it so just take my cash tip instead.

TurboTax
Oct 9, 2012
Would you have given them the beer if it was like a Postmates delivery person that came on foot? Or by bike?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

TurboTax posted:

Would you have given them the beer if it was like a Postmates delivery person that came on foot? Or by bike?

I'd still be inclined to tell them to get their own with the cash tip I'm giving them because of potential legal consequences if they happen to be underage, and I'm not going to waste my time carding a delivery driver.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It only happened a couple times but another pizza delivery peeve is when they ask you for a beer or something as tip instead of cash and get pissed off when you tell them no. It bothered me for two reasons: drinking and driving is bad, but also I was going to drink it so just take my cash tip instead.

lmao, people are bold enough to ask for beer?

I got offered one once, but I never even thought of loving asking for one, that's hilarious. That's a dedicated alcoholic right there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you in Germany? I thought teens could drink there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you in Germany? I thought teens could drink there.

This goes back to college in florida and they only asked if you answered the door holding one.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I can recall being offered beer and/or pot when I delivered food in a college town. Surprisingly often, actually. Gutsy to ask though. You almost have to admire the courage.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Yeah that's crazy that a driver would have the balls to actually ask for one. I've been offered weed, beer, a slice of the pizza I just brought (like dude I get it for free) as a tip but the strangest was the time I got a hefty cash tip from a dude because I followed his delivery instructions of bringing him a bottle of Heaven Hill and a box of Trojans with his food.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I see he stole one of my "trick the driver into thinking i am not alone and about to eat this entire pizza myself" moves.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I see he stole one of my "trick the driver into thinking i am not alone and about to eat this entire pizza myself" moves.

For once, nope! He was a disabled dude in a wheelchair with "company" over.
I get that a bunch though, dude comes to the door all "oh my kids are going to love these six chocolate lava crunch cakes!" I'm not judging, eat what you want as long as you give me the money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

our neighbors (the ones with the noisy stompy kid and the constant bath-running) left for nearly two months, presumably on vacation, which was lovely because it was so quiet.

not tryna insinuate anything but not long after they came back, we started getting what looks like roaches for the first time in our apartment :shepicide:

snoo has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Mar 12, 2018