Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

Also, Eclipsa's long-term plan to win back the throne of Mewni is going super well..

I also came in here to say that. Moon might have just unwittingly helped Eclipsa prove that her claim to the throne is illegitimate. If she gets proven innocent in the trial she can easily claim the throne. The great thing about Eclipsa is how genuinely nice and genuinely shady she is. She was gone for a long loving time, she could have done anything during that period. Moon didn't even try the door, it could be that it wasn't even locked. And she tricked Moon into erasing the guards memory super easily. I don't buy that she can't use wandless magic either tbh. I think she just wanted to rope Moon 100% in. Whether shes actually a villain of not is a dead 50/50 right now.

One interesting thing to note though is that the scroll appears to still say that Eclipsa's daughter was made queen under the changed part. Yet again, it could be that it originally said something like "...Meteora was disinherited and a pretender was crowned queen" or it could be that Eclipsa herself changed it while Moon was stuck to make it look like the throne was usurped and Festiva actually was her daughter.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Seems like there is a strong theme of Monstrous (as in unreasonable bastard) vs Monster (creatures of Mewni designated as such officially) going on here -

The High Commission (Moon Included) are not evil per se, or monsters in the classical sense, but they are shortsighted assholes enforcing a status quo because they are incurious about capital M Monsters despite having been in danger of being on the other side of that line themselves. They are as a result in the long run a neutral party making things harder for everyone, Monsters and Royals. Moon will need to take a side however. She cannot have both a daughter and the High Commission unless Star manages to convince them to side with her.

Toffee is both, a Monster and a Twat.

Eclipsa may be called/thought of as a monster due to the nature of her magic and she married a literal Monster, but at least she is trying to play nice with Moon and seems to genuinely like Star.

Mina is an edge case, she is crazy and it's turned her into something monstrous.

Miss Heinous remains to be seen, whether Meteora is vengeful or just lost is yet to be revealed. Heinous was monstrous as head mistress - but is Meteora just a Monster like Buffrog who will try to find her mother and carve a niche, or in her awakening will she attempt to get even with those who did her wrong?

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 5, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've heard some theories that Mina might be a bad PTSD case, but hard to say given she seems to be pretty cracked and not too bright in the first place. Though it is clear that she used to have it a lot more together in flashbacks.

And given she knows about a half-monster child... my guess is there's some conspiracy going on to basically quash Eclipsa's legacy, having the books rewritten for her just be a queen of Mewni who did some bad things and was disinherited in favour of a supposed daughter, rather than the actual consequences of her tryst with a monster- and quite possibly having arranged Meteora's brainwashing and enforced identity as Miss Heinous, enforcer of conformity. And quite possibly being the one or ones who sent Rhombulus and the Mewni cops to ruin Star's party. Mina might be involved, or be working on their behalf whether she knows it or not.

Interestingly, I don't think the Magical High Commission is necessarily aware or even particularly enthusiastic in their role in enforcing Mewni's lovely status quo. Rhombulus is dumb and childish, Lekhmet was a pretty nice guy from all accounts, Hekapoo is apathetic and Omnitraxus Prime seems distracted, and they all have difficult and very important jobs to do. For the most part, it seems like they just see any threat to the status quo as a problem to be quashed ASAP so they can get back to work. Surprisingly realistic depiction of how people can get drawn into doing lovely things because they don't feel they have the luxury of thinking about what they're doing when they have an important job to do that literally keeps the universe ticking.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 5, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

It's almost impressive how Eclipsa manages to steal every goddamn scene she's in.

Av sized versions:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That was rad.

"Did you make a guitar.. out of... bones?"
"I work with what I have to hand dear :smug:."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
"Hey, you wanna see a dead body?"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hiya GeorgieMoon! Want a balloon?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BioEnchanted posted:

Unless I've missed or forgotten something he's already been resurrected - he's badly damaged though and can only say "Globcor"

Are we sure he's not mispronouncing 'Globnar'? I feel like having a Time Wish would be pretty handy for Star soon...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's almost impressive how Eclipsa manages to steal every goddamn scene she's in.

Av sized versions:

It's the voice.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Domestic Amuse posted:

So if Festivia's an outside pretender, wouldn't that make every queen after her (including Moon) illegitimate? And with Meteora still alive, wouldn't that make her the legal queen of Mewni? At any rate, it looks like poo poo's about to get real

To go back to this, the answer is a resounding 'maybe'. The guidebook mentions that while the crown is traditionally passed down from mother to eldest daughter, there was at least one exception in the past when 'Dirrhhenia the Heaped' was superseded by her younger sister 'Crescenta the Eager,' so assuming that Festivia was still in the royal family there shouldn't be any issues. And of course, that's ignoring the practical matter that monarchies are typically less restrained by actual rules than they are the personal power of the person currently holding the throne-Meteora may end up having a legitimate claim, but that really doesn't matter because who's going to force Moon to give it up? The High Commission that's complicit in covering it up? The other Butterflies and royal families who are just as interested in keeping Moon on the throne?

That doesn't mean that Meteora can't try for the throne, of course-just that it's unlikely Moon is going to simply hand it over. It's very possible that the rest of the season or the next could see Meteora attempting to unite monsters and disaffected Mewmans to her cause in an attempt to force Moon off the throne (either by force or by grassroots political pressure), with Star caught in the middle. Or it could not! Who knows, I got lucky in predicting a twist once and I doubt I'm gonna get lucky again :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I just connected - Eclipsa likes playing heavy metal. Heinous/Meteora's preferred genre of music is heavy metal :3:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I just connected - Eclipsa likes playing heavy metal. Heinous/Meteora's preferred genre of music is heavy metal :3:

I mean, it was only a matter of time before this comic was confirmed as canon.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Descriptions for the episodes next Saturday (March 17th) are out:

Is Another Mystery Buffrog leaves Mewni in search for a better life, and Star goes to look for him.

Marco Jr. Marco returns to Echo Creek to discover that his mom is pregnant.

fuckin' :lol: at Marco Jr, Angie and Rafael started banging the second Marco was out of the house

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeesh, (first one) if Buff-frog tries earth he have an unpleasant surprise - we have enough trouble getting along with our own species, let alone sapient amphibians.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

fuckin' :lol: at Marco Jr, Angie and Rafael started banging the second Marco was out of the house

That does not surprise me one bit and is one of the things I suspected would happen after he left.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Two more episode descriptions, this time for the March 24th episodes:

Skooled! Ponyhead returns to St. O’s and finds that the curriculum got tougher.

Booth Buddies: A magical photo booth at a wedding goes on the fritz and captures Star and Marco inside.

Both should be interesting episodes, since my guess is that Skooled is certainly going to feature Meteora and her history with St. O's, and there's no way Booth Buddies isn't the episode that they've been building up to since Sleepover where Star and Marco are finally forced to sit down and actually talk to each other

As for this weekend's episodes, have a poster from Sabrina Cotugno in her debut as a director:

before you ask, the spelling doesn't mean anything

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Most realistic thing in the whole series.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Considering the timing of the episode (17th March): What if Buff-frog leaves because the outcome of the trial makes him feel no longer safe in Mewni?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/lunchbagmonster/status/972177945379856384?s=19

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh thank God, I almost forgot this show was back until just now.

First episode was ... just OK. Personally I find River hit-or-miss as comic relief, and thought he leaned more on the annoying than funny side this time. Still, the payoff was well done and served its purpose with Star learning an important lesson.

Second episode was awesome because Eclipsa is awesome, the end.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Shawn's reaction shots were amazing. And now we have some solid answers, but they just raise further questions.

Meanwhile we finally get some "Face the Music" payoff, but Marco has only shown up in a single non-speaking cameo for this batch of episodes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Wow, that's even worse than the speculation. Star and Moon really do have zero claim to the throne, they're descended from a peasant. I can't tell if they're actually going to follow through on it though. Eclipsa seemed to genuinely only care about Meteora.

Other thoughts: I seems like the High Commission were just going to convict Eclipsa no matter what. The show certainly is leaning towards Eclipsa being innocent.

Ludo's episode was loving creepy. The ending suggests Ludo may come back as a villain again. He was wearing his old helmet again contrary to what he said to Dennis. Dennis comes off as sympathetic due to the blatant abuse allusions but I noticed that the Ludo he admired was the "leader of the monster army" Ludo. He may well be heading down the same wrong path that Ludo did. Also I dislike that they continue to portray Bird and Spider as being genuinely loyal to Ludo when he violently forced them into submission in the first place. Birds blank, shell-shocked eyes are pretty disturbing imo.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 10, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Wow, that's even worse than the speculation. Star and Moon really do have zero claim to the throne, they're descended from a peasant. I can't tell if they're actually going to follow through on it though. Eclipsa seemed to genuinely only care about Meteora.

They still have a solid claim to the throne as the incumbent monarch and her heir apparent, not to mention generations of ancestors who have ruled Mewni regardless of their ancestry. However, this episode proves Meteora also has a strong claim to the throne. Could be there's a war brewing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I didn't consider that they may still have a claim through adoption. Depending on whether or not Eclipsa actually abdicated though, its not as strong as Meteora's claim and can definitely lead into something. The writers may not even be going for storyline about complex lines of succession in a kids show though, heh.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With how the characters ended up It wouldn't surprise me to see it become the Mewman Royal Family vs the Magical High Council or at least all three of them questing to find and help Meteora. All three of them were lined up against the Council in that shot after all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Now here's a fascinating bit of speculation I just thought of. If anyone can become a powerful magic user from prolonged exposure to magic, if Festivia earned those four-pointed stars on her cheeks, does that mean Marco could get permanent marks of his own if he continues using the wand? Will he someday go through a mewberty of his own?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I always knew the High Commission was a bunch of corrupt fuckers :argh:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So the big plot twist this season isn't that Heinous is related to Star, it's that she's not.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A nice thing regarding that is that Star and Eclipsa both seem to regret that ("You mean you're not my great great whatever grandmother?" "No dear, I'm not.") . I bet if Eclipsa were to have a greatx4 granddaughter she'd have wanted her to be like Star.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Another solid pair of episodes. It was good to see Ludo again, crazier than ever, and it'll be interesting to see if he comes back as a villain and in what capacity. I think I've said it before, but he reminds me a lot of Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly-he's crude, he's cruel, and he'll do anything to get what he wants, but you just have to admire his raw tenacity. Definitely looking forward to see where they take his character through the rest of this season and the next.

Man though, you have to feel bad for Star after Butterfly Trap. Her arc this season has been to improve herself to become a better person and future ruler, and now, as a result of a trial that she pushed for, her entire future and very identity is in question. Be careful what you wish for, kid :smith:

In other news, Brian H. Kim posted two songs from this week's episodes: Brotherly Ludo from Ludo Where Art Thou, and Knew There Was Something Missing from Butterfly Trap.

Also, there's a promo for next week's episodes:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/972562819962036229

Given how Tom looks and reacts in the shots, I've got a feeling that he's going to break up with Star either during the episode or shortly after it. After Monster Bash it was pretty clear that Tom and Star have very different priorities in their relationship, and I think Tom's eventually going to come to a realization that after longing to get back together with Star for so long, their current relationship isn't what he wanted or expected.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 11, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that Rhombulous's snake arms are characters by themselves. I think my favourite moment with them is when he accidentally crystalises Lekhmet and his snakes try to cheer him up while he's freaking out: "*motioning to the dumbbell* How about we do a few sets huh? That always makes you feel better! :3:"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think I spotted one of the Gravity Falls journals in the pile of evidence. Granted it was from the back, but the colouration is unmistakable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nephthys posted:

Other thoughts: I seems like the High Commission were just going to convict Eclipsa no matter what. The show certainly is leaning towards Eclipsa being innocent.

Ludo's episode was loving creepy. The ending suggests Ludo may come back as a villain again. He was wearing his old helmet again contrary to what he said to Dennis. Dennis comes off as sympathetic due to the blatant abuse allusions but I noticed that the Ludo he admired was the "leader of the monster army" Ludo. He may well be heading down the same wrong path that Ludo did. Also I dislike that they continue to portray Bird and Spider as being genuinely loyal to Ludo when he violently forced them into submission in the first place. Birds blank, shell-shocked eyes are pretty disturbing imo.

I mean, with Ludo, being one of the only monsters actively opposing the kingdom of Mewni that oppresses them is still downright heroic from their point of view, and it's clear that Ludo is respected, at least by Dennis, for standing up to both his horrible parents and the superpowered Mewni royals and their allies. It's clear from the monsters' point of view that using their anger and desire to give themselves the strength to fight back is better than huddling in swamps and forests hiding all the time.

Ludo has certainly gotten... weirder, but the end of the episode implies he's either more on the ball than he seems or has embraced his descent into insanity as something he needs to ride out all the way through. He's almost channelling Glossaryck a bit here, being a mentor figure for Dennis who doesn't seem all there but provides exactly the experience Dennis needs to learn to stand up for himself, and seemingly working out his own issues while he's at it. The dummies of Star and Marco are, like those of his parents, implicitly substitutes for the real thing he projects his own ideas of them on, and remember that he and Star actually parted on relatively friendly terms last time, after teaming up against Toffee and specifically asking Star to send him off the same way she did last time. Things are gonna get weird, but probably going to change, again.

Also, notable that Ludo's changed his beard again, and his season 2 beard is specifically the same as his father's.

And after this episode, I stand by my idea that the Magical High Commission are horribly unqualified for their duties in judgement, and have enough on their plate with their specific duties already. While on the other hand, it seems like Moon can actually be a pretty good queen, and Star's starting to see that, while also seeing how to improve on her mistakes.

Also; kinda puts Festivia's reign being characterised by an apparently years-long siege into new light.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 11, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Titles for the two-part season finale have been released-Divide and Conquer

Well, that's certainly not ominous! :shepface:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Still waiting for a gif of Moon messing with the controls on the Truth or Punishment box, except she's changing the setting from "mini" to "wumbo": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lMu8V5Xa90

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I'm curious how much Eclipsa knew, or at least suspected Star wasn't related to her. She had to at least know "well these guys don't have monster features so some poo poo has deffo gone down" but she could also have assumed that her ex just got a new wife, making the Butterfly still royals.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nerdman42 posted:

I'm curious how much Eclipsa knew, or at least suspected Star wasn't related to her. She had to at least know "well these guys don't have monster features so some poo poo has deffo gone down" but she could also have assumed that her ex just got a new wife, making the Butterfly still royals.

An extended family member of Eclipsa's would have had a stronger claim to the throne than anyone else since royalty travels down the female line. It could be that Eclipsa's ex-husband wanted to remain king, so he hatched this scheme to remain in power. I wonder if the "random peasant girl" was the show's way to avoid suggesting that the king was cheating on Eclipsa and the girl was his daughter.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mraagvpeine posted:

An extended family member of Eclipsa's would have had a stronger claim to the throne than anyone else since royalty travels down the female line. It could be that Eclipsa's ex-husband wanted to remain king, so he hatched this scheme to remain in power. I wonder if the "random peasant girl" was the show's way to avoid suggesting that the king was cheating on Eclipsa and the girl was his daughter.

I highly doubt this, or at least hope not. Mostly because it undercuts the theme of Moon and Star having to reconcile their long-assumed royal privilege while being descended from a commoner, so going "oh Festivia was the king's daughter, we're cool" would be pretty drat cheap.

Also who gives a poo poo about Eclipsa's ex-husband? He's clearly a minor player in all of this. They have a pretty strong through-line with Eclipsa, Meteora and the ramifications of the High Commission's cover-up act. No need to muddy the waters even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

An extended family member of Eclipsa's would have had a stronger claim to the throne than anyone else since royalty travels down the female line.

The thing with thrones : posession is 9/10ths of the law. Legitimacy of your claim means very little if you don't have actual power, whether that's popular support, support from the nobility, a large army, or great magical power.