Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've got a friend in my FC who's willing to decorate houses given a budget. Would a million gil be reasonable for furnishing a small house?

You could probably do it for a 1m if you use strictly vendor bought items, which you can probably make look pretty nice regardless.

https://imgur.com/a/UgKN4

That cost me around 16m to furnish, around 2m of which was for the exterior. That's getting nearly everything crafted. (I've since changed the basement slightly and don't want to fight with my DSL upload speeds to upload new pictures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some of you guys seem like you'd benefit a lot from rebinding your keys instead of keeping absolutely everything on the numrow with shift/ctrl/alt modifiers and contorting your hands into pretzels.

I use 123456 QWRTAG ZXCVBN then Shift modifiers of these. All my GCDs or "Use now now now!" (Elusive Jump, Third Eye, etc) abilities are on base keybinds, most oGCDs or long cooldowns are on shift keybinds. (ESDF movement.)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sadly, I'm on a different server with other kinds of nerd trash. What would you suggest, 2 million? 1.5?

If you're on a different server then I dunno what your prices are like, honestly. Sorry :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Some of you guys seem like you'd benefit a lot from rebinding your keys instead of keeping absolutely everything on the numrow with shift/ctrl/alt modifiers and contorting your hands into pretzels.

I use 123456 QWRTAG ZXCVBN then Shift modifiers of these. All my GCDs or "Use now now now!" (Elusive Jump, Third Eye, etc) abilities are on base keybinds, most oGCDs or long cooldowns are on shift keybinds. (ESDF movement.)

I don't like stretching my hands all the way to 5/6 for regular buttons. I have pretty much everything bound to 123QEFRCXZ, shift+ those, and sometimes alt. That's more than enough.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bolow posted:

You could probably do it for a 1m if you use strictly vendor bought items, which you can probably make look pretty nice regardless.

Where's this vendor?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Today I did Raid Roulette as AST. I was a little worried, but I managed to keep everyone (save one) alive through everything and got four commendations at the end.

But I was in the party with a Dragoon who went to the wrong Atomos corridor in spite of waymarkers being up, who then died to Behemoth meteors, and then died to Ancient Flare and refused to accept my Raise, would not get in with the rest of the party after a wipe so I could reapply Protect, and then died to Ancient Flare and refused another Raise. When she finally hit it, it was after the second Ancient Flare and she immediately ran at the boss to attack him. While her HP was still low. Needless to say, she was outside of healing range and died to the floor.

:psyduck:

Sounds like someone who doesn't want to put any effort but doesn't want to risk being kicked by afking at the start

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Where's this vendor?

You can find housing vendors in the housing districts who sell all kinds of furniture or you can find a vendor called the "independent sutler" (also in housing districts) who will sell you a permit to place a housing vendor (manor steward, I think it's called) in your house. They sell the same things.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've never healed in raid roulette but I'm pretty sure they're easy to heal at this point. Rabanastre, on the other hand, looks like it'd be difficult to heal through.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

I've never healed in raid roulette but I'm pretty sure they're easy to heal at this point. Rabanastre, on the other hand, looks like it'd be difficult to heal through.

I gotta be honest going through as a WHM and I'm feeling lovely about Stone Vigil. I never had a problem as AST but healing through the final boss has been troublesome. No one's died, but I'm still sucking at what should be an easier class.

E: I just realised you were talking about raid healing, my bad

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 11, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Leofish posted:

You can find housing vendors in the housing districts who sell all kinds of furniture or you can find a vendor called the "independent sutler" (also in housing districts) who will sell you a permit to place a housing vendor (manor steward, I think it's called) in your house. They sell the same things.

Steward permit from this guy, right?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

vOv posted:

It's not, really. Either people are eating poo poo they shouldn't and you'd be a hero to save them, or they're taking so little damage it's a one person job. The one exception kinda sorta is Hashmal where the intervals between it's unavoidable damage is short enough and movement mechanics are frequent enough that you genuinely might be pushed sometimes to keep people out of the dangerzone if they're spread out enough and the other healer is dead or might as well be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leal posted:

Sounds like someone who doesn't want to put any effort but doesn't want to risk being kicked by afking at the start
You can't heal through stupid.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Steward permit from this guy, right?

That's the one. The other things are useful for houses, too: Gear menders, materia melders, some vendors who sell simple starter crafting materials, and the junkmonger who sells dyes and dark matter.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I gotta be honest going through as a WHM and I'm feeling lovely about Stone Vigil. I never had a problem as AST but healing through the final boss has been troublesome. No one's died, but I'm still sucking at what should be an easier class.

E: I just realised you were talking about raid healing, my bad

You don't have Medica 2, or Holy, and your regen is less potency but more efficient on MP; I can see why it might be harder. The answer is yell at people so they aren't getting hit by the Frost Breath/standing in other AOEs. You can't heal stupid.

I had way harder of a time with AST doing Stone Vigil with command missions. The AI never turned the boss and I was getting one shot by the breath.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
AST is actually easier to heal at lower levels. It gets a lot of its spells earlier, and with the exception of aspected benific, its healing spells are cheaper. In general, the AST issue is its DPS, not its healing. For all the talk on WHM healing potency being higher, it's actually lower than AST on everything. It's just that cure 3 is so powerful in difficult content because the raid planners still rely heavily on aoe damage to pressure healers.

That and MP does get worse. Much worse. That being said, a lot of times, if a 4 man is difficult to heal it's because the tank has bad gear or is bad at the game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If I only have a limited amount of time to play, what's the most efficient option for 60-70 leveling? Daily LDR/5060? I remember at some point LDR wasn't as good 60-70 as is pre-60, I dont know if that's still true. Should I just do the highest level dungeon I have available?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

LDR is always going to be the best exp for the time you spend, unless you have really lovely tanks. Try to get a friend to come with you to make it better. After that, the storm blood beast tribes would probably be best. You can do them while you wait for your LDR, too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you have a short queue, main story roulette is pretty solid xp. Just bring a book because praetoria is a full 45 minutes

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

AST getting Essential Dignity at super low level is great, especially in dungeons. At low levels it's basically Benediction on a 40 second cooldown. WHM doesn't really become the better dungeon healer until it gets Holy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I had a PotD party with a White Mage that only cast Stone III, Regen, and Cure III. :stare:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

If I only have a limited amount of time to play, what's the most efficient option for 60-70 leveling? Daily LDR/5060? I remember at some point LDR wasn't as good 60-70 as is pre-60, I dont know if that's still true. Should I just do the highest level dungeon I have available?

LDR + Alliance Roulette. Together they should be almost a full level.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Alliance roulette is quick and easy xp at all levels. Just remember to remove gear so your ilevel gets you into LoTA or syrcus and not a heavensward raid which these days are almost always lovely because ppl don’t remember them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Doing both SB beast quests and an alliance roulette earns about a level's worth of xp.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hopefully you guys had the foresight to collect a thousand allergic tombstones of mediocrity.

Although it is funny to remind you now that it's too late for you to do so.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I did MSQ roulette yesterday and I knew the cutscenes were unskippable and everything, but I wasn't expecting the text boxes to also not be skippable. It's just not worth it...

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I got it in mentor roulette and was shocked to find the text speed was controlled, too. Maybe for the best in case someone goes afk. I think it might be worse than getting an ex in mentor roulette.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I mean, if you can speed up the text then everyone clicks through at their own pace and the people who try to read it get left behind again. Or maybe the rest of the group that speed clicks through sits at a blank screen or one of those waiting circles for 5 minutes while the last guy reads.

I can see why it would suck for people who have done this a million times and just want quick rewards but I hit 50 basically the weekend of that patch and did Castrum before and Praetorium after, and it's such a good change to not feel like an idiot running 5 feet before the next cutscene triggers and getting locked out of every single fight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm working through the Heavensward main story, and just got to a big detour about Alphinaud in Ul'dah. I'm not happy about this. To me, the story and emotional punch of Heavensward so far has been the road trip with Ysayle and Estinian, each representing the two very different worlds, histories, and ways of thinking that are in conflict in Ishgard that must somehow be reconciled.

I do not care for this detour to the greatest hits of Eorzea's biggest fuckup and the only character I loathed more than Minfilia in the main story. My heartstrings are not pulled by Alphinaud realizing he's a fuckup, I don't think he's earned a redemption arc yet and this is nothing but a distraction from a story I'm honestly kind of interested in.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'm working through the Heavensward main story, and just got to a big detour about Alphinaud in Ul'dah. I'm not happy about this. To me, the story and emotional punch of Heavensward so far has been the road trip with Ysayle and Estinian, each representing the two very different worlds, histories, and ways of thinking that are in conflict in Ishgard that must somehow be reconciled.

I do not care for this detour to the greatest hits of Eorzea's biggest fuckup and the only character I loathed more than Minfilia in the main story. My heartstrings are not pulled by Alphinaud realizing he's a fuckup, I don't think he's earned a redemption arc yet and this is nothing but a distraction from a story I'm honestly kind of interested in.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but iirc alphy’s character arc is a pretty big part of Heavensward, so you might wanna buckle in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sarrisan posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but iirc alphy’s character arc is a pretty big part of Heavensward, so you might wanna buckle in.

Goody. People told me the HW story was much better than ARR's, and I agree - as long as Alphinaud is seen and not heard. I haven't been convinced by any of his soul-searching so far, because everything keeps working out and the story keeps flinging the Warrior of Light at the problem. Estinian, Ysayle, the Dragonsong War, exploring the history and myths of the human/dragon conflict - this is stuff I like and I'm invested in, I genuinely felt sorry for Ysayle when she met Hraesvelgr.

So I resent the game pulling me away from a story and characters I like to deal with the world's biggest fuckup and his amazing adventures in loving everything up.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cythereal posted:

Goody. People told me the HW story was much better than ARR's, and I agree - as long as Alphinaud is seen and not heard. I haven't been convinced by any of his soul-searching so far, because everything keeps working out and the story keeps flinging the Warrior of Light at the problem. Estinian, Ysayle, the Dragonsong War, exploring the history and myths of the human/dragon conflict - this is stuff I like and I'm invested in, I genuinely felt sorry for Ysayle when she met Hraesvelgr.

So I resent the game pulling me away from a story and characters I like to deal with the world's biggest fuckup and his amazing adventures in loving everything up.

Well, just a heads-up, then: Alphinaud is a significant player in all of the story from here on out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Well, just a heads-up, then: Alphinaud is a significant player in all of the story from here on out.

God drat it. He's the only character worse than goddamn Minfilia, easily my single most loathed character in all of FF14.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

God drat it. He's the only character worse than goddamn Minfilia, easily my single most loathed character in all of FF14.

Honestly, he undergoes a lot of character growth. You might be letting your earlier dislike of him blind you to what they're actually doing with him. The fact that you're going "gently caress it, stop showing me this character" in the same breath as saying he hasn't earned any sort of development is sort of a catch-22 because the only way they can develop him is by showing him do things.

Unlike Minfilia he's a pretty popular character so he isn't going to get downplayed anytime soon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ysayle was one of the most boring parts of the HW storyline though. Like i give a poo poo about your dumb delusional fuckups. One-off villains in side quests have had more emotional impact in their self-justified atrocities. The only thing i could do at her story's resolution is roll my eyes and sigh in a "at least it's over" kind of way. The only reason i can't declare her the worst party member of HW is because Estinien exists and makes every cutscene and dialogue either maddening or insufferable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, he undergoes a lot of character growth. You might be letting your earlier dislike of him blind you to what they're actually doing with him. The fact that you're going "gently caress it, stop showing me this character" in the same breath as saying he hasn't earned any sort of development is sort of a catch-22 because the only way they can develop him is by showing him do things.

Unlike Minfilia he's a pretty popular character so he isn't going to get downplayed anytime soon.

Alphinaud doesn't do anything, is the problem. He's the perpetual hanger-on to the road trip of Ysayle, Estinian, and the Warrior of Light. He mopes and says he feels bad and everyone forgives him and says he's awesome.

A redemption narrative, in my opinion, has to be earned. Right now I put Alphinaud squarely alongside the likes of Kerrigan from Starcraft 2 and Illidan in WoW. He's done nothing to earn redemption or me thinking he's anything but a godawful fuckup even if he says he feels bad and was wrong.

Well, fine. Do something about it. Show you deserve redemption. Don't just idly follow the WoL, Ysayle, Estinian, Raubahn, Yugiri, and Haurchefant around.

Or give the WoL dialogue options to not be on board with him and his latest plan.

Right now, at least, he feels very much like he became a better person because the story has decided he's a better person, not because he's done anything to earn it. I do not like this kind of narrative fiat, and resent Alphinaud even more for how badly the story is handling him.

Again, I like the rest of HW. I like the Dragonsong War stuff. I like Ysayle and Estinian and their interactions. I like all the stuff going on in Ishgard proper. I just loathe Alphinaud.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

Ysayle was one of the most boring parts of the HW storyline though. Like i give a poo poo about your dumb delusional fuckups. One-off villains in side quests have had more emotional impact in their self-justified atrocities. The only thing i could do at her story's resolution is roll my eyes and sigh in a "at least it's over" kind of way. The only reason i can't declare her the worst party member of HW is because Estinien exists and makes every cutscene and dialogue either maddening or insufferable.

:yikes:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ysayle is basically that one lady that faked being a PoC to fight against the social injustice affecting her brothers and sisters.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Cythereal posted:

the story keeps flinging the Warrior of Light at the problem
But that's basically purpose of WoL. Problem appears? WoL kills it. Maybe even if WoL doesn't have to.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 11, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dwesa posted:

But that's basically purpose of WoL. Problem appears? WoL kills it.

True, but after talking with goons I think I've boiled down the reason I dislike Alph so much: he just doesn't do anything to earn his redemption. He follows the people who do stuff like the WoL, Ysayle, Raubahn, and Lolorito, and mopes, and the story treats his moping as a big deal. I've never seen him genuinely do anything to make up for what he's done. I'm all on board with a redemption story for the kid, but the story's pronouncing him redeemed now as demonstrated by him saying he feels really bad about it.

I'll continue working through HW since I like the rest of the story and characters, and I'm sorry for sperging and venting in this thread, but I don't know if I'm going to keep playing the game after HW if he's going to be the main protagonist again and be written this poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I literally just downloaded the free trial of FF14 yesterday....only to be welcomed by a 24 hour patch (2am-2am PST). Logged in this am around 6amCT and realm was going down for 2 hr maintenance. Not a good way to be introduced to the game, I dealt with all of that jazz back in 04 with WoW.

The 15 minutes that I was able to play the game though was just...idk. It felt like more of a single player RPG on a console. It is pretty, I will give it that but jeeze louise, every NPC wants to yack and yack at you with these long winded conversations. I am hoping it lightens up as I progress though since I am a new toon.

Also, there is a such thing as too much customization. Sliders for everything, voice options, 100+ hair colors, yea...that's neurotic, sorry. Also, its like hyper Asian. So you are going to look like an anime toon or a really creepy child. Also, it has to you pick a birthdate - from a calendar with a lunar phase; and some "Divine God Thing" you follow...why? Why is that even a thing? Why the bloat just to roll a toon? Literally all that should matter is race and class. The rest is just noise to a new player.

I mean, I am going to keep playing it at least until 35 mostly just to see what all this is about but from first impression it seems that all the FF14 people came over to WoW and told Blizzard to "slow it down" because that game feels...bloated and sluggish right out of the trial.