Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

No they mean changing their names and stuff.

That's wonderful news to hear. The bold phrasing of "In any way" gave the impression of 'You hired a bunch of rookies, time to fire half of them because of their poo poo stats!' style gameplay.

Not being able to tweak their more narrative stats is annoying, but unless they tie viable skill growth to certain backgrounds or something should just be an annoyance at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm honestly curious as to how much time it could take to implement such a feature, they must be extremely tight on their deadline. Maybe they just kept pushing it back and now they don't have time to finish implementation and QA before release?

Even Battle Brothers (which is an indy game by a tiny 'labour of love' dev team) lets you rename your units.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Once we stack up all the tiny features, we end up with pretty significant amounts of time commitment. The feature is simple; it's done already, because we did it for the commander. The UI is not, and our UI engineers have more critical issues to finish than we have time left to finish them. The engineering and QA teams are in a flat-out sprint at this point, and we literally don't have time for anything that's non-critical.

It is not a big feature. But at this point, we aren't even *talking* about big features. They don't even come up. We're choosing between a hundred different small features, and a hundred different bug fixes, and a hundred different performance optimizations. Something purely cosmetic like this is an easy cut. Doesn't mean it won't happen ever, or even that it won't happen shortly after launch, but trust me that you want it less than you want the other things the team is working on. Like fixing bugs in the mech lab. Or making a landing Leopard not tank your framerate.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im fine with no renaming, as long as they make the mercs distinct, if not unique

gives it a jagged alliance 2 vibe

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Alright, since its topical and clearly some laughing is needed during crunch time:

what are some of your favorite or funny bugs so far? Ragdolls heading to space? Graphics glitches making everything rainbow? Lets hear the best of the worst. I mean, if that's the sort of thing you can discuss.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I so don't care about renaming Mechwarriors it's ridiculous. That has no impact on the gameplay whatsoever and the gameplay is what I want to play this for.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

I so don't care about renaming Mechwarriors it's ridiculous. That has no impact on the gameplay whatsoever and the gameplay is what I want to play this for.

You may not care about it but for a LOT of people it helps their immersion and helps them care more about the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Skoll posted:

You may not care about it but for a LOT of people it helps their immersion and helps them care more about the game.

"But now how will I live out my dream of Captain Emilio and the Might Ducks Mercenaries?"

God I'd just be the worst at naming my crew anyways.

Though I can see why a lot of people would have it matter to them, and when your roster starts to grow it's a great way to remember who you actually care about to have the option of renaming. Rather than "Wait, poo poo. Callsign 'Longshot' was my guy with poo poo gunnery-oh, NOW I get it! :downs:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 9, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm sure that stuff will be pretty easy to mod, anyways...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mordja posted:

I'm sure that stuff will be pretty easy to mod, anyways...

If you can open a file in a text editor and hit find, you can mod this game. It's exceptionally easy.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The trick is we have no idea how save game data is stored. Like if you know what you're doing with CK2 or EU4 or Stellaris you can mod a save.

Depending on how the save system is it'd be exceptionally easy If they stored them in folders or something. If it's all encoded, much more difficult.

Adding custom MechWarriors before the game has already been determined to be exceptionally easy. Pending the 3d portrait system and figuring out how that works with adding characters, of course.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

isildur posted:

Once we stack up all the tiny features, we end up with pretty significant amounts of time commitment. The feature is simple; it's done already, because we did it for the commander. The UI is not, and our UI engineers have more critical issues to finish than we have time left to finish them. The engineering and QA teams are in a flat-out sprint at this point, and we literally don't have time for anything that's non-critical.

It is not a big feature. But at this point, we aren't even *talking* about big features. They don't even come up. We're choosing between a hundred different small features, and a hundred different bug fixes, and a hundred different performance optimizations. Something purely cosmetic like this is an easy cut. Doesn't mean it won't happen ever, or even that it won't happen shortly after launch, but trust me that you want it less than you want the other things the team is working on. Like fixing bugs in the mech lab. Or making a landing Leopard not tank your framerate.

I don't care that this is missing but there is a very distinct part of the potential playerbase for whom this kind of thing is hugely significant. Like, I probably spent a grand total of maybe 15 minutes in XCOM2 playing with the unit editor but I have a friend who spent more time making cool posters with the stupid propaganda feature than actually playing the game.

Also people tend to spook easily when a developer talks about features getting 'cut' because that usually means 'this is never happening under any circumstances'. If this had been announced as 'feature will not be in at launch' I'm sure that it would have drawn less comment.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean it's clearly not that easy because HBS have had to scrap it for launch.

But given that literally every PC game they've put out has had a Director's Cut I don't know why people are fretting that HBS are going to cut and run with promises unfulfilled.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alchenar posted:

I mean it's clearly not that easy because HBS have had to scrap it for launch.

Something being easy or not isn't always the only reason to cut it, sometimes it's about priorities. I'm guessing this got the axe because they've got a laundry list of higher priority issues to clear and this one just isn't making it because of the time it'd take. When that time could be put towards fixing a critical issue, well, you gotta put it towards that critical issue.

e: oh lmao I need to read isildur's posts

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think RabidWeasel is right, at the very least, that "cut" implies it's gone and never coming back, rather than "delayed for post-launch release" would probably draw less rage. It certainly wouldn't remove it, because grogs bitch about EVERYTHING, but it would lessen it.

I'm sure most of it is just the natural course of things where as we get closer to release we hear about a bunch of stuff getting "cut" with nothing really to offset it (because being able to add things to the list while you're having to cut things for time doesn't make any sense), so the loop of grogs being mad about each thing that gets cut feeds into increased rage when the next feature hits the chopping blot and makes for an atmosphere of "OH NO, THEY'RE HAVING TO CUT ALL THE CONTENT, GAME CANCELLED, AND SOMEONE POISONED THE WATER HOLE!". Once we get to release half this stuff will be forgotten as we'll have giant robots to shoot.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaodai posted:

Once we get to release half this stuff will be forgotten as we'll have giant robots to shoot.

Words to live by.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how will i name all my pilots after my friends and laugh when they get blown up now

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cowcaster posted:

how will i name all my pilots after my friends and laugh when they get blown up now

The true old school game editing way: Modifying some random text files hidden in the install directory. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We also have a uniquely intimate view of the dev process. Tons of games have poo poo cut out close to launch and we never hear a out it because it wasn’t a KS with a dev studio that communicates with backers to a unusual extent.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I also give absolutely no shits about customisation whatsoever.

Although I'm sure it will be back eventually, but really if cutting this lets them get the game out in April rather than May then cut away.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I want to rename my mechwarriors after shitposters so I can laugh about how many times I've sent Ham Sandwiches to their death, but I can probably just edit a text file somewhere for that so vOv.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Voyager I posted:

I want to rename my mechwarriors after shitposters so I can laugh about how many times I've sent Ham Sandwiches to their death, but I can probably just edit a text file somewhere for that so vOv.

I'm sure I'll end up getting sent intentionally to my death by at least a couple goons for the same reason. :v:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

No one's poo poo posting is worth risking one of my mechs over :20bux:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DatonKallandor posted:

Assuming you can do it by futzing with .txt files (yes?) I think it's a reasonable thing to cut for launch.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Once we get to release half this stuff will be forgotten as we'll have giant robots to shoot.

Worked for :pgi:, right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just tell me how to mod the mechwarriors and I'm golden

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheParadigm posted:

Worked for :pgi:, right?

Not really, no. They just had a bunch of people not play their game. Since MWO is ostensibly free to play, that may not have worked out as well as it could have for them. Though they must still be making bank with their price gouging pre-order bundle system.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hrrmm "have dev fix gamebreaking CTD in the mechlab OR add mechwarrior renaming feature" HHRRRMMMM

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hrrmm "have dev fix gamebreaking CTD in the mechlab OR add mechwarrior renaming feature" HHRRRMMMM

I mean I know this is only an example pulled out of a hat, but I expect we'd have bigger problems if the Mechlab crashes the game this close to launch :v:

Maybe something softer like "Fix constant constant hip thrusts while on snowy hills, OR add a renaming feature"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 10, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Section Z posted:

I mean I know this is only an example pulled out of a hat, but I expect we'd have bigger problems if the Mechlab crashes the game this close to launch :v:

Maybe something softer like "Fix constant constant hip thrusts while on snowy hills, OR add a renaming feature"

Feature, not a bug

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zaodai posted:

I'm sure I'll end up getting sent intentionally to my death by at least a couple goons for the same reason. :v:

hey, I'm going to give you the finest Urbanmech available and whatever happens happens, okay

:v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If urbies don’t twerk after killing an assault I don’t know what the gently caress.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Psion posted:

hey, I'm going to give you the finest Urbanmech available and whatever happens happens, okay

For those not in the know, Urbies are pretty lethal in this game. They got a small speed normalisation and their AC10 hits like a truck. A high gunnery skill pilot with the Breaching Shot ability in an Urbanmech is a real threat.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Phrosphor posted:

For those not in the know, Urbies are pretty lethal in this game. They got a small speed normalisation and their AC10 hits like a truck. A high gunnery skill pilot with the Breaching Shot ability in an Urbanmech is a real threat.

Not my Battletech.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

raverrn posted:

Not my Battletech.
While clearly said in jest, I love how an Urbanmech walking faster than 2 miles per hours is probably going to be unironically considered impure by some players. While "My pristine assault one-hit killed by an urbanmech from across the map. This is the fifth time today" version of the beta was touted as Battletech as gently caress.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

Unironically sounds good to me.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That reminds me of a beta game I played where suddenly I was getting sniped across the map straight into my rear armor. When I discovered it was Urbies I felt shame. Then fear.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Rural urbanmechs

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Really the only problem with Urbies is just how goddamn many rounds they spend walking to the fight. Or walking to the evac LZ after the fight. All your other 'Mechs are just standing around like 'we're ready to go now...'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That's why we love them.