Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I've recently seen an alcohol fueled fireplace installed during a renovation that met environmental and code compliance. It didn't let off much heat. I thought it was one of those backlit moving paintings at first. It was fully enclosed with a glass screen, and the additives or light accents made it look bright red.

It's an elegant solution to meeting all of the necessary restrictions for a safe, non-intrusive fire. But I still like my habit of dumping the scraps I trimmed from bushes and trees in a metal tub in the back yard and lighting er up while I take pulls off of a bottle of something that tastes like gasoline. But hopefully isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Motronic posted:

My former code enforcement self is causing me to spontaneously writing a stop work order.

This "contractor" is going to need to provide a serious financial apology.

So you're saying that the plumbers who added some waste lines to my house aren't professionals?

The engineer's evaluation/remedy cost them twice what we paid them for the actual job. What's mind boggling is that this was in an unfinished basement that we explicitly said we didn't plan on finishing. We're having ducting put in for an air conditioner this weekend and I had to be like "Look, please don't cut into any floor joists without asking first. I understand you're looking at me like I'm an idiot and that goes without saying but *gestures to the sistered monstrosities in the back* it doesn't go without saying.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 11, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They assumed those floor joists were just cosmetic. I guess. Yikes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

eyedoorable

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Some people like the thrill of gambling when they walk through a door.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Monty Hall made a living doing that

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Maybe you guys can help me figure this out. In September I moved into an apartment. It's an older high rise (late sixties or early seventies, I'd say), and I'm renting a very sweet 300-ish square foot L-shaped bachelor/studio/whatever you want to call them. The building was probably originally a fairly nice building intended for singles and couples (it's all bachelors and one bedrooms), fell into disrepair, and then it the last ten years was bought by a new company that renovated. I have nice new windows, and tile floors, and the building is quiet and well-maintained and has key fob entry and is on the cheap side for the area and I'm really, really happy here.

And then there's the mystery of my heat. Here's my thermostat, which is inexplicably original?

And as far as I can tell, it doesn't do a goddamn thing. No. I have hosed with it all sorts of ways and nothing seems to make a difference with what happens. No, the real control seems to be across the room, here.

This is not air conditioning. Maybe it once was, but no. This is how I turn the heat on. Again, the thermostat seems to make no distance, just pick the amount of hot air to blow out the vents near the ceiling:

Okay, I guess the low ceiling in the kitchen is a bit weird. Also, boob light.

To be honest, the building is so snug that I really only turned the heat on when the temperature dropped below -25 C, even if heat is way more of a necessity in this area than AC.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So what's the question?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
And whose flayed face is that?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Nooo it's gone

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

EssOEss posted:

And whose flayed face is that?

The face of my nemesis, hung to remind me of my enduring victory.

And I guess I'm just looking into insight into how/why. Did they just hook up heat to the old AC system? Why even leave the thermostat there if it doesn't do anything?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'd assume that thermostat is for show and it's controlled by management. I think a friend lived in a building like that. He always bitched and moaned that it was too drat cold because they never turned on the heat.

Edit: to answer your second question: to make the tenants feel like they are in control of the heating in their apartment. I assume this largely works via placebo, but you are too powerful to be controlled by such means.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
An alternative is the HVAC guys had two different pairs of thermostat wires when they were retrofitting the new heat, and they just picked the one that was easier to get to.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RoboRodent posted:

The face of my nemesis, hung to remind me of my enduring victory.

And I guess I'm just looking into insight into how/why. Did they just hook up heat to the old AC system? Why even leave the thermostat there if it doesn't do anything?

My parents house, built in the 60's had no A/C, only a swamp cooler, so the thermostat only worked for the furnace. Many years later when A/C was added, it got it's own thermostat for 'reasons'. It's possible that in your apartment, it originally had separate controls for the heat vs. cooling?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Nooo it's gone

I got you fam

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

In California they want people to stop burning wood because of smog.

Given how much of California is on fire at a given moment, how could they tell?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

value-brand cereal posted:

I'd assume that thermostat is for show and it's controlled by management. I think a friend lived in a building like that. He always bitched and moaned that it was too drat cold because they never turned on the heat.

Edit: to answer your second question: to make the tenants feel like they are in control of the heating in their apartment. I assume this largely works via placebo, but you are too powerful to be controlled by such means.

Reminds me of a place I lived in for 3 months when I was moving about 10 years ago. It was an old piece of poo poo building fancied up for modern pricing. It was all I had available so I took it. It was steam heat. There was no way to control the heat at all. The knobs on the registers moved, but they did absolutely nothing.

In order for my wife and I to sleep, we had to run the A/C in the dead of winter. The window was screwed shut in our bedroom. I'm talking -15f outside 85f inside. When you're cold adapted to winter, 85f makes you want to vomit. I used to stand outside at night on the patio to cool off for a bit in my skivvies.

Why would an apartment manager crank the heat like that? If I was running it, I'd drop it to 64f and wait until someone complains.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My husband spent a couple years in college in a place like that, the problem is that steam heating is very uneven, particularly if the landlord hasn't kept up on maintaining and cleaning the pipes. They crank the heat so a bunch of apartments can be comfortable, but this means a bunch of other apartments are going to be absolutely boiling. It's really bad in Toronto where some ancient law says they have to turn up the heat starting on September 15th, when it's often still in the 80s and 90s.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I used to work in a lovely old building like that - they had to seriously juice up the heat to get the top floors to be tolerable at all (like 50), but for that to happen the lower floors would be hitting 80 by early afternoon. Everyone complained, the supers just jiggled the knob back and forth, and the owners refused to do anything about it because they were trying to sell the whole place and didn't want to bother replacing the system on a building.

We had knobs that were supposed to control the flow through individual vents, but I opened one up and it was completely useless, the knob system wasn't even attached to anything and the vent just went to an empty hole in the wall with no conduit behind it - the heat came in somewhere else entirely. :psyduck:

The big thing to look out for there though is that if you have someone else controlling your heat, make sure its being billed correctly. In many places (like MA) you're only responsible for a utility if its metered to you and you have control of it - if the super or the landlord sets it and its building-wide, they can't bill you for use, it has to be built into the base rent.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

RoboRodent posted:

Maybe you guys can help me figure this out. In September I moved into an apartment. It's an older high rise (late sixties or early seventies, I'd say), and I'm renting a very sweet 300-ish square foot L-shaped bachelor/studio/whatever you want to call them. The building was probably originally a fairly nice building intended for singles and couples (it's all bachelors and one bedrooms), fell into disrepair, and then it the last ten years was bought by a new company that renovated. I have nice new windows, and tile floors, and the building is quiet and well-maintained and has key fob entry and is on the cheap side for the area and I'm really, really happy here.

And then there's the mystery of my heat. Here's my thermostat, which is inexplicably original?

And as far as I can tell, it doesn't do a goddamn thing. No. I have hosed with it all sorts of ways and nothing seems to make a difference with what happens. No, the real control seems to be across the room, here.

This is not air conditioning. Maybe it once was, but no. This is how I turn the heat on. Again, the thermostat seems to make no distance, just pick the amount of hot air to blow out the vents near the ceiling:

Okay, I guess the low ceiling in the kitchen is a bit weird. Also, boob light.

To be honest, the building is so snug that I really only turned the heat on when the temperature dropped below -25 C, even if heat is way more of a necessity in this area than AC.

This seems like the controls for a hot/cold water system. The building changes over for you depending on the season-- the thermostat determines the amount of hot/cold water that is fed through the heat exchanger and the air conditioning control is the fan speed blowing over the heat exchanger. in theory during heating season, if you dropped the thermostat to the lowest setting, eventually the air would cool off to ambient temp as the hot water would have been cut off.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuevo posted:

I got you fam

one always lies, one always tells the truth, and the other stabs people who ask tricky questions

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ashcans posted:

The big thing to look out for there though is that if you have someone else controlling your heat, make sure its being billed correctly. In many places (like MA) you're only responsible for a utility if its metered to you and you have control of it - if the super or the landlord sets it and its building-wide, they can't bill you for use, it has to be built into the base rent.

Fortunately, heat's included in my $700/month, so that's not a concern.

Qwijib0 posted:

This seems like the controls for a hot/cold water system. The building changes over for you depending on the season-- the thermostat determines the amount of hot/cold water that is fed through the heat exchanger and the air conditioning control is the fan speed blowing over the heat exchanger. in theory during heating season, if you dropped the thermostat to the lowest setting, eventually the air would cool off to ambient temp as the hot water would have been cut off.

Huh. Okay, it'll be interesting to see if that's what happens come summer. The thermostat has been on the lowest setting all winter (because September was warm and, you know, just in case it was doing something).

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to buy a big floor fan, I think.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Yeah, I live in a 90-year-old building in Toronto with steam radiators, and the heat is on from Sept 15 to May 1. The rads in the kitchen and bathroom don’t turn off, so I cover them in towels all winter and leave the windows open on all but the most blustery days. My downstairs neighours have a rad in their bedroom that doesn’t turn off and they are miserable at night so I suppose I’m “lucky” compared.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This is making me (not) miss my previous apartment. 2nd floor, I literally never needed or wanted to turn on my heat because the people below would crank theirs and there was no insulation between floors.

We had baseboard heat so all winter I paid nothing to have more heat than I needed (which was remedied by opening the window. singular.), but the summer was miserable.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I wonder if the rads are hot enough to generate power from.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

From

https://imgur.com/gallery/tTGOI

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Javid posted:

This is making me (not) miss my previous apartment. 2nd floor, I literally never needed or wanted to turn on my heat because the people below would crank theirs and there was no insulation between floors.

We had baseboard heat so all winter I paid nothing to have more heat than I needed (which was remedied by opening the window. singular.), but the summer was miserable.

Yeah, I just moved out of an anchient apartment that had baseboard heaters. I was 3rd floor and always had to leave the bathroom window open to let the heat out. Like above there was a decorative thermostat that did nothing, if I left the windows closed in September it would easily get up to 90 in there by the time I got home. I do miss the free unlimited hot water but my new Y2K built apartment is much nicer all around.

I did a bunch of digging around on Newspapers.com on this old apartment recently. It was built in 1967 by 3 brothers who made money in real estate during the 50's and 60's. At one point there was a wooded hiking/picnic area and a golf-course as part of the property. All that remains of the original recreation area is the lake that the buildings surround. The initial advertisements indicated their plans to put in a 4,000 foot airstrip with hangar facilities, as well as a shopping center and entertainment center.

By 1972 they were selling a bunch of property in the area with sewage and electric, and the super-ghetto apartment down the street was built on what I assume was some of that property (it's located where the airstrip would have been). I found mention of them selling off 3 apartment facilities that they owned nearby during the mid-70's. Then in 1978 there were two suspicious fires that started in storage rooms, followed by another one in 1981. Sometime after this ownership changed hands and around 1984 there was a name change.

In 1986 a tornado tore the roof off of 7 out of the 8 buildings in the complex. Another fire happened in 1999. 2002, the ownership changed hands again and then massive toxic mold buildup was found and cleaned up. There was another ownership change sometime between the mold and 2010. In 2007 there was another fire, followed by the owner having the property repossessed by a bank in 2010.

Sometime after that the current owner bought it, and renamed it. I moved in in December 2012, and apparently lucked out in getting one of the few good apartments. Looking at that pattern I got out just in time as it's overdue for having a building burn down, once again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:psypop:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yo dog, I heard you like dust, so I put dust in your dust so you can sneeze while you snooze.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

I remember the Build engine.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yo dog, I heard you like dust, so I put dust in your dust so you can sneeze while you snooze.

I think the weirdass curtain may be worse than the wampa extrusion of a bed/floor.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That whole album looks like someone is trying to train a computer on generating interiors and it just can't get it right.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I think the weirdass curtain may be worse than the wampa extrusion of a bed/floor.

It's reminiscent of the privacy curtain around a hospital bed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

It is a very bad curtain but no it is not even close to as bad as whatever they've done to that floor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet it is all synthetic too. A suicide booth for idiots who smoke in bed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

lol if you don't have "love, laugh, shrimp" decals on at least one wall in every room.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Boil em mash em stick em in a stew

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

C.M. Kruger posted:

lol if you don't have "love, laugh, shrimp" decals on at least one wall in every room.

Is that what those are? I thought they were small pastries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

C.M. Kruger posted:

Where's the white wine??