Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Assimilators can theoretically engage in diplomacy, but it's a huge hassle to get anyone to like you. Same for Hive Minds, but making friends is fairly doable for them in 2.0. If you're just a militarist authoritarian slaver, you can easily buddy up with other militarists and slavers and form a power bloc of your own. It really depends on how much diplomacy you wanna do.

I also don't want to undersell the Assimilators. It's really satisfying to borg up the genocidal xenophobes as well as the materialists who hate you, and turn them all into productive and happy members of society. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

ZypherIM posted:

Do you want to have vassals/tributaries or not?

Havent thought that far ahead, but now that you mention it being a feudal kingdom of space racists does sound like an interesting way to go through a game...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shadowlyger posted:

Get the Extended Map Sliders addon and set it to 99 AI empires. :getin:

I'd just like to call attention to the fact that "you're lying" is a pretty poo poo thing for a dev to say to someone about their game's balance, especially since I wasn't.

You made a claim that was readily and easily disproven. His options were to either call you a liar or an imbecile, or oblivious to entire game systems. He suggested the first and the last thing were possibilities, wasn't it nice of him not to say the second one?

Granted, in light of your comments about cheating maybe he should have gone with theory 2.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Goddamn, modding Stellaris is a pain in the rear end. There's no validator like CK2 so I have to constantly load up the game and check the error log to try and replicate the spawning of Bio-Trophies at the start of the game. It's driving me crazy. I haven't got that even working yet. Thank god I program for a living and am used to this.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There are a couple of bugs with starbases:

1. They don't correctly handle equipment that increases hull points. I noticed significant disparity in listed combat power for defensive stations with the same modules built. It turns out that the order matters - weapon modules added before you research hull-boosting equipment (which then gets auto-equipped) don't apply their 10% boost to those extra hull points.
This may be mod-related, I'm running a mod with late-game armour that adds hull points as well as armour, but it would be worth testing to see if this bug exists for crystal/dragon plating.

2. Occupying an enemy station will re-equip it with your empire's best gear (reactors, shields and armour), which remains even after the enemy takes it back. Suggestion: don't auto-upgrade equipment in starbases in systems that aren't permanently yours.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is there an easy type of space rear end in a top hat to play? I’ve normally played as non-xenophobic nice guys, but I think that it’s time to dip my toe into the conquest pond. Are drive assimilators more forgiving than, say, hiveminds? Or is it better to just be a xenophobic space racist so I can at least pretend to engage in diplomacy.

driven assimilators are extremely strong. all of the advantages of machines and organics simultaneously; mostly cyborgs early on, then later turn your worlds into machine worlds and carpet them over with your machine race.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Tributaries kinda own with the latest changes to Domination. They give you money and fleet cap and don't gently caress around in your wars like crappy allies.

Yeah I kind of wanted to do a feudal run but I just don't see much of a point. Letting them grab their own poo poo doesn't seem worth a civic slot.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It depends on what you're trying to get out of them. If you expect your subjects to be too weak to contribute in wars or you actively want to avoid their participation because they'll end up competing with you for the spoils, Tributaries are perfect - they let you support a larger navy regardless of their own strategic capabilities and otherwise leave you alone.

Vassals are for when you want real allies who will make tangible contributions to your wars, but without going through all the bother of making people like you or attending to their interests - if you want them to function like real empires, it seems like it might be worth it to allow them to expand. Helping you have better relationships is neat, I guess, but it doesn't seem to matter much how your subjects feel about the situation as long as you're sufficiently powerful.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Voyager I posted:

It depends on what you're trying to get out of them. If you expect your subjects to be too weak to contribute in wars or you actively want to avoid their participation because they'll end up competing with you for the spoils, Tributaries are perfect - they let you support a larger navy regardless of their own strategic capabilities and otherwise leave you alone.

Vassals are for when you want real allies who will make tangible contributions to your wars, but without going through all the bother of making people like you or attending to their interests - if you want them to function like real empires, it seems like it might be worth it to allow them to expand. Helping you have better relationships is neat, I guess, but it doesn't seem to matter much how your subjects feel about the situation as long as you're sufficiently powerful.

A lot of good points I guess my problem with it is you don't really know how it's going to shake down initially. You might wan them to expand or you might not and locking the ability to choose behind a civic seems like an unwise idea.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Assimilators can theoretically engage in diplomacy, but it's a huge hassle to get anyone to like you. Same for Hive Minds, but making friends is fairly doable for them in 2.0. If you're just a militarist authoritarian slaver, you can easily buddy up with other militarists and slavers and form a power bloc of your own. It really depends on how much diplomacy you wanna do.

I also don't want to undersell the Assimilators. It's really satisfying to borg up the genocidal xenophobes as well as the materialists who hate you, and turn them all into productive and happy members of society. :3:

It's not /that/ bad to get people to like your Assimilators, though it can be pretty expensive. You basically have to give them free research agreements to build up trust, then spam them with gifts until you can hopefully get a non-aggression pact with them. It does get easier later on once you can add in Emotion Emulators for a free +25 though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So in my game it's the year 2421, I've completely defeated an Awakened Empire (taking all their territory), and I'm generally the uncontested master of the galaxy at this point. Is there still an end-game crisis coming or is it pretty much a wrap?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

So in my game it's the year 2421, I've completely defeated an Awakened Empire (taking all their territory), and I'm generally the uncontested master of the galaxy at this point. Is there still an end-game crisis coming or is it pretty much a wrap?

There is an endgame crisis that could still come but if you have an AE world and 1000 fleet cap you're probably going to beat it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Starting with Emotion Emulators is actually really productive diplomatically!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there a hard floor of 0.5 consumer goods demand for a pop? I didn't look close enough to see if the actual minerals required dropped before and after modding my robbits to have Durable but the listed consumer goods value didn't seem to change.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really wish you could stop your allies taking places on your border when you're fighting a war against exterminators or etc. They'll NEVER trade them away and it's so ugly.

Or at least make them value those systems less, so you can take them away. Now I have a random circle in my territory!

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 12, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

As usual the Queptiliums are a bunch of fuckers :argh:

Don't know what you're all talking about wanting more consistent AI empires across games. If I see those pricks from Queptilium Prime, I know I've got some real grade-A wankers on the scene, no matter what kind of game I'm trying to play.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Magil Zeal posted:

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, it's a tiny and insignificant and stupid thing but I have no desire to play that game to completion any longer.

I don't know how to put this, dude, but...

No one cares.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Taear posted:

I really wish you could stop your allies taking places on your border when you're fighting a war against exterminators or etc. They'll NEVER trade them away and it's so ugly.

Or at least make them value those systems less, so you can take them away. Now I have a random circle in my territory!

well, if the empire has a claim on that territory (i.e. it having been previously theirs), it seems to give it to that empire.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

well, if the empire has a claim on that territory (i.e. it having been previously theirs), it seems to give it to that empire.

They don't. It's just them taking stuff during the wars where you automatically get the bits you take. These fights are SUPER deep in what was enemy territory so nobody has claims on anything, it's kind of a free for all.

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i know, but that still respects claims. you just cant actively *make* them against containment empires.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i know, but that still respects claims. you just cant actively *make* them against containment empires.

That isn't answering my problem though.
https://imgur.com/a/QeLF2
Like this mess.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Was it their navy that first occupied the stars in question?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

GotLag posted:

Was it their navy that first occupied the stars in question?

Yes. That's my point. Because it's a free for all it makes the borders messy as hell - especially when everyone is flying together as a gigantic blob. If it's on my borders it should really just go to me. Or they should let me trade it off them.

It's frustrating that every time people post about issues they're having with the game people jump in to explain. It's not a case of not knowing how it works but wanting it to be different!

Taear fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 12, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Yeah I kind of wanted to do a feudal run but I just don't see much of a point. Letting them grab their own poo poo doesn't seem worth a civic slot.

Feudal Society sounds better than it is. By the time you're making/acquiring vassals, they can't really expand much (and I think you can just trade systems to them anyway).

I still wish Ringworlds, Dyson Spheres, etc, could come a little bit earlier. I had three Ascension perks but hadn't pulled Mega Structures despite having a Voidborn Curator in Engineering for decades. And taking Master Builders is a waste of a perk slot, especially when it's gated behind ZPE. By the time I can build them, the game is over. They're so cool, it's just a shame that by the time you can even begin one there's little point to doing so. I feel being able to start them earlier, and impose a 'construction tax' as opposed to a big flat sum, would do a few things:

Allow the player to see them/possess them.
Additionally, to do so in a part of the game where they feel like they matter
Make them vital targets for you to control or covet, and therefore perhaps drive a bit of galactic instability
Create more of a sense of a changing galaxy (similar to Apocalyptic bombing etc.)

There's so many cool things in Stellaris -- the megastructures, and now Titans and the planet-killers -- that feel like they come too late.

Also, there's a bug where if you're researching how to get the Dreadnaught working again and your construction ship gets kicked out of the system -- by say pirates spawning in there -- engineering research halts indefinitely, even when the construction ship isn't handling the special project. The only way to fix it I found was to get my construction ship back over there and finish the project.

Organic empires seem to hit a plateau where they stop advancing entirely. Robot empires don't seem to run into the same problem, so, I'm guessing it's food-related.

Also, put the End Of The Cycle in multiplayer (even if it's just an option in game creation). :argh:

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 12, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I don't know how to put this, dude, but...

No one cares.

Heaven forbid someone put a negative game report in here in addition to the others. :rolleyes: I do wish I could fix it though. I feel as though there must be an option I'm missing in there somewhere, but maybe not.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 12, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Magil Zeal posted:

Heaven forbid someone put a negative game report in here in addition to the others. :rolleyes: I do wish I could fix it though. I feel as though there must be an option I'm missing in there somewhere, but maybe not.

No once cares yo

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

No once cares yo

Apparently so if they bother to reply.

It's a legitimate question, though. I am wondering if there's something I'm missing in the options for species rights. Is there a way to set undesirables for this species in particular without changing my default species rights? Are you here to be helpful, or just making non-posts?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Magil Zeal posted:

nah

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Magil Zeal posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo. Arguing with people over semantics about whether caring enough to say that nobody gives a poo poo is giving some amount of a poo poo is not going to make anyone give a poo poo about the original thing, it's just going to make you look like an rear end. It would have been better if you had just shrugged, accepted that nobody gave a poo poo, and moved the gently caress on.

Content:

Would there be any interest in reviving the Reworked Planetary Diversity mod and making it compatible with 2.0? I ask cos that was one of the mods I really enjoyed back around 1.5/1.6, before I dropped Stellaris for a while.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I think my problem with the game is that most of the cool toys come way at the end of the game, like post crisis late. Too many are gated behind very late game tech or most of all behind multiple ascension perks.

E: Full disclaimer I've never tried playing a super tall empire in this game though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Also, put the End Of The Cycle in multiplayer (even if it's just an option in game creation). :argh:

I usually play psionic empires and I've never seen it offered. I've seen all the other offers. (Desire is the best, strands/whispers are annoying, eater of worlds is really bad.)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dumb scientist turned all the pops on the homeworld into gross bigheaded weirdos, can I genetics them back into real humans

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

Dumb scientist turned all the pops on the homeworld into gross bigheaded weirdos, can I genetics them back into real humans

They're the real humans. What was will be.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

When you think about it, maybe the big headed weirdos are the REAL humans after all?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well I think the Event Horizon signal chain went about as well as can be expected.

A scientist decided to mod herself into some homo-superior based on her visions, so had her dragged out back and shot. Then I summoned Cthulu and he turned my home planet into a tomb world, and two other barren, unusable planets in my home system into perfectly viable, decently sized tomb worlds which I then shipped a bunch of my now tomb-acclimatized pops onto. Aces. Though my star now being a black hole is a little concerning, I guess.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Can you still not build a black hole research center around the black hole? That was kinda annoying since it's a thing you should be able to do. I submitted a bug report way back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there still a mining station on it from before it went weird?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is there still a mining station on it from before it went weird?

Ooh would that have hosed it up? Most likely yes. This is a game or so ago but I can reload and test it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Can you still not build a black hole research center around the black hole? That was kinda annoying since it's a thing you should be able to do. I submitted a bug report way back.

Huh I am pretty sure I built one in my last game. You know it's a starbase upgrade right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I usually play psionic empires and I've never seen it offered. I've seen all the other offers. (Desire is the best, strands/whispers are annoying, eater of worlds is really bad.)

It's apparently incredibly rare. Something like you'd need some ridiculous amount of game years to see it on average. Last game, I got an offer from all but The End.

I understand why it's not in MP because it is the most dangerous of all the crises and one player can literally ruin the entire galaxy, but it's also extremely cool. I definitely think it's rare enough to just put it in MP with an option to disable it if people are truly concerned about it.

I'm playing Psionic just to get a chance of seeing it. It's one of the coolest things in Stellaris, I think, but falls into the trap of 'no one sees it'.

Magil Zeal posted:

You could be negative-funny just ABGD, or negative and constructive, or negative-anything other than posting again and again with a content that could be summed up as "*sigh* this sucks, guys *longer sigh*".