Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Bbbbut Dark Souls is a JRPG! It even has waifus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Of course Lapp isn't the same Patches as the one who stole Siegward's armor, much like he's not the same Patches who kicks you down to a katana black phantom in the Shrine of Storms or the Patches who really loving hates Clerics. Ringed City is at the end of time where different things from the entire series find themselves ending up just because, and therefore Lapp's not Patches-Patches, he's the idea of Patches, the platonic ideal of That Sneaky Motherfucker.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm not roleplaying i just hate patches, i don't see why this is so complicated

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Play however you want dude. Souls fans are some of the most insufferable people about "the right way to play"

I didn't even find patches in the cathedral and I killed him right away (after the tower) in my first playthrough, but I got pretty into my character being a bloodthirsty wretched freak in rags that stalked things and brutally slammed them with a jagged hunk of metal :black101:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
People get real weird about video games sometimes.

Friends, I am going through the game with a katanamans for the first time, and also pyromancy. I'm thinking a Raw Uchi for CFA, and Dark Black Blade for fire resist stuff and the dumb name synergy. I'm at a loss for a backup lightning weapon for jerks like Midir though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cuchulain posted:

Friends, I am going through the game with a katanamans for the first time, and also pyromancy. I'm thinking a Raw Uchi for CFA, and Dark Black Blade for fire resist stuff and the dumb name synergy. I'm at a loss for a backup lightning weapon for jerks like Midir though.
Raw Uchi with Gold Pine Resin?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

The closest you're going to get on a dex/faith build is the Dragonslayer Spear I think, probably best just to roll with a GPR Uchi for the handful of times you'll need it

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Simply Simon posted:

Of course Lapp isn't the same Patches as the one who stole Siegward's armor, much like he's not the same Patches who kicks you down to a katana black phantom in the Shrine of Storms or the Patches who really loving hates Clerics. Ringed City is at the end of time where different things from the entire series find themselves ending up just because, and therefore Lapp's not Patches-Patches, he's the idea of Patches, the platonic ideal of That Sneaky Motherfucker.

I like this.

Also this whole conversation reminds me of ds2 launch when a lot of people killed the old ladies because they didn't reverently praise the player character for being the chosen one and then threw a fit when they couldn't respec later/had to pay the troll toll to revive them to respec. No clue what the state of reviving NPCs was at that point.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The old ladies should be killed because they are the in-game embodiment of DSII dev team missing the point of difficulty in a Souls game

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Iretep posted:

if you kill patches since hes an obvious rear end in a top hat, you fell for miyazakis trap. hes literally there to get killed. then people can laugh at the role player because they killed some merchant in a fit of pathetic rage.
He's never a very valuable merchant though. Hell, in ds1 killing him is the smart thing to on a faith build because you can get a cresent axe right at the start of the game for free.
And in ds3 you get his ashes so him being dead is more convenient if you actually want what he sells, which many players won't.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

He's never a very valuable merchant though. Hell, in ds1 killing him is the smart thing to on a faith build because you can get a cresent axe right at the start of the game for free.
And in ds3 you get his ashes so him being dead is more convenient if you actually want what he sells, which many players won't.

if you kill him right as you meet him in 3 you miss out on his gestures which matter to me a lot at least. in 1 you miss out on prostration gesture, the masks and some minor stuff that can be useful or not.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Iretep posted:

real talk here:
role playing in souls game is a trap. if you role play in anyway you fell for miyazakis trap.
if you kill patches since hes an obvious rear end in a top hat, you fell for miyazakis trap. hes literally there to get killed. then people can laugh at the role player because they killed some merchant in a fit of pathetic rage.
also if you role play a class in souls game youll most likely pick a trap since usually half of the classes have bad stats. another trap through role playing. basically while miyazaki wants players to role play, the game play itself does not encourage it at all.

That's a LOT of traps.

And this made me laugh.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 11, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

feelix posted:

The old ladies should be killed because they are the in-game embodiment of DSII dev team missing the point of difficulty in a Souls game

I really enjoyed DS2 on release, but going back to it after 3 is pretty rough.

I still like bellbros better than Aldritch Faithful or watchdoggos though.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bellbros were a hilarious covenant for several reasons. The most obvious one being that the invasion area was a tiny claustrophobic clusterfuck where the only place to run was right at those loving gargoyles but also I enjoyed how in the setting the Bellbros were guarding a stupid bell that nobody cared about except the funny midget who told you to do it and the game was clear there was no reason to do it unless you wanted to gently caress with people, as opposed to the Aldrich and Watchdog covenants where there was a mysterious wolf and a hidden dying mysterious priest guy who didnt clarify anything but made the covenants ~*~*~mysterious~*~*~.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I mean neither one is mysterious. They’re the sacred defenders of the abyssal poo poo/crab swamp and the fancy old cathedral. What’s not to get

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Farron Watchdogs are the best and most hilarious because it's like, "you wanted to prevent me from going here??? The nasty swamp full of disease and giant enemy crabs?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Started this again for the first time in about a year today, got to untended graves last time and put it down for whatever reason.

It's interesting how much, not easier as such but that's the best word for it, it is to progress second time through. Just under six hours and I'm at crucifixion woods. I know that's hardly speedrunner territory but its less than half the time it took last time, even with a few runs of the wall and the settlement as jolly cooperation. Definitely gonna stop to do some watchdogging this time round.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Farron Watchdogs are the best and most hilarious because it's like, "you wanted to prevent me from going here??? The nasty swamp full of disease and giant enemy crabs?

don't gently caress with my crabs

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kaubocks posted:

don't gently caress with my crabs

I got invaded by a watchdog the other day who waited patiently for me to finish my crab battle before wiping the swamp floor with me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's a common misunderstanding that the watchdogs are guarding the swamp. They're actually guarding their sacred treasures which are the exile greatsword and the great club which are two of the best and funnest weapons

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shear Modulus posted:

It's a common misunderstanding that the watchdogs are guarding the swamp. They're actually guarding their sacred treasures which are the exile greatsword and the great club which are two of the best and funnest weapons

Real pros already have a great club at that point. Also the swamp is a seriously hilarious place to for first time players to stumble into. You've got Watchdogs if they're embered up, the log guys can be brutal if you aren't being careful, dogs in convenient locations, first exposure to poison via the weird stove pipe crab things, plus you've got a few of those brutal crucifixion enemies that pop out and surprise you. And then, if you manage to get through all of that, you've got a pretty tough pair of enemy NPCs, that will probably be the first example of getting parried and riposted by an enemy.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
What's the current state of miracles / lightning throwing builds?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
miracles are a lot weaker at doing damage than pyro/sorceries for pve, in exchange for giving you a lotta heals.
but, lightning arrow(dlc) is a really drat good spell bc it can be poisecast with a talisman and you can hold it. you can even do cheeky stuff like poisecast lightning arrow into black flame to absolutely demolish people who try to trade with you.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

DrNutt posted:

you've got a pretty tough pair of enemy NPCs, that will probably be the first example of getting parried and riposted by an enemy.

I don't know if you meant the big weapon exile bros or Heysel and Hodrick, but either pair makes sense.

The NPCs in DS3 don't actually have to follow all the same rules as player characters, and Hodrick's super aggro AI makes that very obvious. Between the huge damage, bleed weapon, self healing, massively inflated health, power within, and NPC animation canceling into a parry, he's easily the hardest NPC invader in the series.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I never got GLS, but lightning stake hits pretty hard at 60 faith and a Blessed Lothric Knight GS has something like 700AR. Doryh's Gnawing owns. I'd say faith can work if you wanna be a paladin guy but it really, really sucks in a few cases.

Edit: Lightning arrow is good, but it's primarily good because it's aimable, holdable, actually ranged without penalty, and efficient. It only hits for like 400 damage usually.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

I liked paladin guy in ds1, shame to hear it still hasn't recovered since the nerf in ds2. What are the hot weapons these days for pve?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I always find it weird that people expect miracles to be comparable in damage capability and reliability to magic and pyro when it's explicitly the class of magic that gets the best support spells, and the only reliable way to heal besides estus. That's what you're supposed to be going into miracles for, and the damage spells are kind of a bonus.

If you've played demon's souls this is really obvious, as in that game there's exactly one miracle that even deals damage, and it's wrath of the gods. Not exactly spammable.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Never played demons souls, got spoiled by dark souls. And lightning killed the everlasting dragons, right, so its got to be #1 for RP purposes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cuchulain posted:

I don't know if you meant the big weapon exile bros or Heysel and Hodrick, but either pair makes sense.

The NPCs in DS3 don't actually have to follow all the same rules as player characters, and Hodrick's super aggro AI makes that very obvious. Between the huge damage, bleed weapon, self healing, massively inflated health, power within, and NPC animation canceling into a parry, he's easily the hardest NPC invader in the series.

I died like four times fighting Hodrick in Sirris's questline because his riposte is an insta-kill.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I had an extra slab laying around on my 40/40 SL100 pyro so I made a +10 chaos dagger and holy poo poo it backstabs for over 1300 damage

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Miracles are great in PvE :confused:

More bosses are weak to lightning than fire, and most of them are the hard ones, a sunlight spear in melee range is the highest damage spell in the game, and weapon buffs are just icing, not than you need them because crucifix and lightning faith scaling is great now.

You can't stand 50ft away and chump a boss at range like pyro or sorcery can, but that's fine, miracles have an actual niche as a melee caster now. Actually when you get lightning arrow you can do that too, but you're finished by that point.

Sure pyromancy is even easier, but that's because pyro is hilariously strong, not because miracles are bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

More bosses are weak to lightning than fire, and most of them are the hard ones, a sunlight spear in melee range is the highest damage spell in the game, and weapon buffs are just icing, not than you need them because crucifix and lightning faith scaling is great now.

You can't stand 50ft away and chump a boss at range like pyro or sorcery can,
Right, which is why miracles aren't great in PvE-better options exist.
Everything is relative.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I left my sunbro sign outside vordts hall. Cos I thought it would be fun to fight it again with someone. (on this character I managed to 1 shot him without taking any hits). and me and another sunbro get summoned by a chick in a loincloth with a spear. She proceeds to walk in the opposite direction and when the other dude saw the dancer fog wall he left straight away. I was like okay there's a first time for everything but goddamn I literally died after like 10 seconds. I don't know what happened to naked chick but I'm sure she's still there luring phantoms.

Can anyone tell me what purple summon signs mean by the way?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 12, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Everything is relative.

I mean, if you put points in faith for the buffs and heal miracles (the worth of which is very subjective, but I think they're especially worth it for new players) then you also get perfectly acceptable ranged damage on top, how is that not great?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bc I don't really think the extra healing is very valuable in this game, compared to being able to do much better damage at range. all the hard fights are guys which get up in your face and don't give you the time to cast healing miracles, and bonfires are super plentiful. there are no real long bonfire runs besides the one time in the ringed city. best damage mitigation miracle in the game is tears and it takes almost no investment, and my opinion about buffs has always been that they are overrated. especially now that bundles exist

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

IronicDongz posted:

Everything is relative.

I suppose every weapon that isn't a sellsword twinblade is bad as well then?

VV:

Yeah it does scale with int and faith, but it's really your kit more than the numbers. Lots of regular enemies are really weak to fire, especially in the first half of the game. Pyro and sorcery are much more spammable than miracles are, and Great Chaos Fire Orb is pretty FP efficient compared to the heavy hitters from other schools. There's also a bunch of stuff that is weak to dark, and pyro's dark options are both stronger and more varied than miracles/sorcery. To top it off, dark/chaos infused weapons are just flat out stronger than the infusions from other schools, and pyro-dedicated weapons are probably better too.

hampig fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 12, 2018

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

hampig posted:

You can't stand 50ft away and chump a boss at range like pyro or sorcery can, but that's fine, miracles have an actual niche as a melee caster now. Actually when you get lightning arrow you can do that too, but you're finished by that point.

Sure pyromancy is even easier, but that's because pyro is hilariously strong, not because miracles are bad.

What makes pyro so strong? Just looking at pyromancy spells at fextralife, it seems pyro no longer is spell damage modifier x catalyst value. Does spell damage now scale with int/faith?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hampig posted:

I suppose every weapon that isn't a sellsword twinblade is bad as well then?
no, and I never said miracles are bad. I said they aren't great. as in they're like, pretty good.
I wouldn't call anything but the best/easiest stuff in a game "great".

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'd be less reluctant to try a Miracles-focused character if Lightning Spear was available earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

all the hard fights are guys which get up in your face and don't give you the time to cast healing miracles
You deal with by using the time-honored tactic of using estus mid-battle and spells out of it, but the point about bonfires is pretty fair. Still, I did manage to find plenty of places to use my heals in my first playthrough which happened to be faith. You might be underestimating how much estus a player can waste.