Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Alright ladies and gents decision making time for me. I have a 2008 Saturn Vue 3.6L v6 with almost 170,000 miles on it and my alternator took a fat poo poo today. I'm getting it repaired cause I need this car to get to work daily. What I'm not sure of is, if I should be squeezing every mile out of it I can get or if I should just bite the bullet and get another car. At this point I've replaced the transmission about 50k miles ago, plus other minor things and now the alternator.

I could probably put anywhere from 4-6k down and pay up to 300 a month if need be. I'm an Installation Consultant for ADT (I install alarms) and drive anywhere from 100-200 miles a day, 5 days a week. I also haul around quite a bit of equipment, so something where I don't have to get ~too~ creative with storage would be more ideal. I live in So Cal if that makes a difference. Just looking for some general advice :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I haven’t driven a Saturn Vue for several years, but I remember the 3.6/6-speed auto to be a pretty nice running vehicle. With the kind of miles you put on a vehicle, I’d try to run that Vue as long as I could - buying a newer vehicle w/payments in order to rack up a ton of miles isn’t the smartest financial decision.

The big-ticket item is the tranny, and you already coughed up for that, most other possible repairs are going to be relatively small in comparison. The 3.6 is a solid engine, you might get another 100K out of it. It’s almost always better financially to keep fixing your present vehicle if it suits your needs, it’s just eventually a person just gets tired of the same ride.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Rabidbunny posted:

Due to an accident earlier this week I've had to say good bye to my 2011 Mazda 3 and hello to car shopping. Which has always intimidated me a bit. And now I'm feeling overwhelmed with all my choices and the need to a return to normalcy.

Proposed Budget: 20k or less
New or Used: New
Body Style: sedan
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes mostly to work, and trips to various state parks for photography and to visit family.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No
What aspects are most important to you? Overall cost, reliability and comfort. I have a bad back so ideally something that will give me a smooth ride.

I'm currently looking at a Honda Civic which looks like a lot of people on here like and a Hyundai Elantra. I haven't seen many comments about them on here so was looking for thoughts on them and the various configurations they offer. I'm also open to other suggestions on cars I should be looking at.

Sorry for the rehash of the discussion last page and what you may regard as a stupid question, but are you super invested in the car being new? A lot more options open up at the ~$20K level if you're willing to get something a year or two old. Otherwise, yeah probably take whichever you prefer between the Civic and Elantra, they're both solid (or Accent, which is the Elantra but smaller/cheaper). Anecdotally several people I know have bought new or near-new Hyundais in the past few years and have all been happy with them so far. Who knows how long the transmissions will turn out to last though.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014

JnnyThndrs posted:

I haven’t driven a Saturn Vue for several years, but I remember the 3.6/6-speed auto to be a pretty nice running vehicle. With the kind of miles you put on a vehicle, I’d try to run that Vue as long as I could - buying a newer vehicle w/payments in order to rack up a ton of miles isn’t the smartest financial decision.

The big-ticket item is the tranny, and you already coughed up for that, most other possible repairs are going to be relatively small in comparison. The 3.6 is a solid engine, you might get another 100K out of it. It’s almost always better financially to keep fixing your present vehicle if it suits your needs, it’s just eventually a person just gets tired of the same ride.

This is very helpful. Thank you. I was leaning in that direction and this helps solidify that. :glomp:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chic Trombone posted:

I'm willing to go used, yeah.

I was looking at new hatchbacks largely because I haven't found many used hatchback options in my area and the gas mileage really appeals to me.

hatchbacks aren't more fuel efficient than sedans

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think he meant relative to an SUV and isn't considering sedans

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think he meant relative to an SUV and isn't considering sedans

whats wrong with sedans

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats wrong with sedans

Hatches are superior :colbert:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats wrong with sedans

Hatchbacks drive like this: doo doo chhh ba doo doo. But but Sedans, they just drive like this: Badiptdadoo badipta dipta doo!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats wrong with sedans

I'm just not a fan of the sedan, what can I say :j:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chic Trombone posted:

I'm just not a fan of the sedan, what can I say :j:

Fair enough, neither am I really, but it does limit your options a fair bit

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whats wrong with sedans

You get a lot less usefull space to for storage.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hatchbacks don't actually have significantly more storage space than sedans, and what little extra they do have is taken away from passenger space

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hatchbacks don't actually have significantly more storage space than sedans, and what little extra they do have is taken away from passenger space

Only if the stuff you carry isn't oddly shaped.
Go try to fit a 61cm road bike in the back of a sedan the length of a mazda2 without removing the rear wheel.
I'll wait.
Also, where do you get that the space is taken away from passengers? If anything they have slightly more headroom in the back.
Yeah if you drop the rear seats, but with a small sedan anything big is going on the rear seats it will use the pass through (if equipped anyhow).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you need to carry oddly shaped things regularly a hatch is slightly more useful but with the rake on modern hatches a lot of the advantage disappears. For most people carrying groceries, boxes, suitcases etc it's not really much of an advantage.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it comes back again if you have a doggo though. Those come in all types of odd shapes

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I can fit a really surprising amount of stuff in the trunk of my old 330 coupe with the rear seats down (e.g., two adult road bikes with the front wheels off) but I sometimes wish I had a hatchback for the bigger opening and an easier place to sit.

I wish liftbacks were more of a thing on normal cars and not reserved for premium full-size niche stuff like the 4-series GC and A7. The Stinger gets some points in my book for being a liftback but its still pretty pricey. Plus none of the new liftbacks have manuals. :(

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sorry for the rehash of the discussion last page and what you may regard as a stupid question, but are you super invested in the car being new? A lot more options open up at the ~$20K level if you're willing to get something a year or two old. Otherwise, yeah probably take whichever you prefer between the Civic and Elantra, they're both solid (or Accent, which is the Elantra but smaller/cheaper). Anecdotally several people I know have bought new or near-new Hyundais in the past few years and have all been happy with them so far. Who knows how long the transmissions will turn out to last though.

I'm aiming for new because I don't necessarily trust car history reports. Plus my dad has an obsession with having a car under warranty. He tends to get a new one every four years when his is no longer under warranty even though he doesn't tend to put a lot of miles on it. I don't get it, but he can afford it. If it hadn't been for the accident I would've held onto the Mazda for a lot longer. Based on what others have told me I'm leaning toward the Honda if only for the resale value.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

resale value doesn't matter that much in my opinion - if you plan to keep the car for a long time all residual curves end up at the same spot eventually

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well if you plan to trade it in in less than 5 years though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well if you plan to trade it in in less than 5 years though

dont do that

if you really want to go short term you should be doing 39 month leases

if you are running too many miles to get a reasonable lease you should not sell your car at 5/75

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean yeah, but people like Rabidbunny's dad spout rationalizations like "it has to be under warranty" when really they just want to always be driving a nearly-new car for status/ego reasons. I'm with you that if that's the case you should just lease.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Get a CPO car if you are worried about used. Those are more money than a normal used, but still have a nice chunk of depreciation lopped off and usually have an extended warranty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Meydey posted:

Get a CPO car if you are worried about used. Those are more money than a normal used, but still have a nice chunk of depreciation lopped off and usually have an extended warranty.

cpo is almost certainly never worth it unless you are buying edge case nazimobiles

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

but the 12,600 point inspection

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have experience with Geico's roadside assistance?

It's only like $20/year if I add it to my policy - I'm paying around $60/year now piggybacking off a family member's AAA Plus membership

Wondering if it's reliable

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003
This is mostly just a thought experiment. I already have the right car for my situation. But damnit I can dream!

Currently driving a 2013 Prius, tons and tons of life left in it, only 93,000km (57,500 miles) on it. I do 680-860km a week for my work commute. Been doing this for a year. The drive itself is totally fine. Stress free, mostly doing 90-95 km/h on back roads. Thing is, as we all know, the Prius is loving boring.

I constantly find myself thinking what I could replace the Prius with; get a 3rd vehicle (wife drives a CX-5) I drive say once a week into work for fun? Get a Miata? Hot hatch? Who knows!

Any and all suggestions and thoughts are welcome, including the very, very obvious, don’t do anything you idiot.

Proposed Budget: $1-$25,000 (CAD)
New or Used: likely used
Body Style: I’m open, though a backseat is preferred despite my mention of the Miata above
How will you be using the car?: commute
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I like them but probably not what I’m looking for here. Aux in or blue tooth and I’ll get by
What aspects are most important to you? Fun then somewhat reliable and fuel efficient. Gas in Canadian fun bux ain’t cheap so still needs to be a consideration considering how much I drive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

It's only like $20/year if I add it to my policy - I'm paying around $60/year now piggybacking off a family member's AAA Plus membership

All insurance providers and AAA basically have a network of roadside providers. They have a contracted rate with the providers. They’re all more or less the same in that you’re at the mercy of the local company providing roadside in terms of their response time, quality, etc.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

EugeneJ posted:

Not specifically but I'm insured through Safeco and pay something like $6 per year for their service. I've called them twice and it was fine and the reaction times were good. You might also want to make sure you don't already have the service thru a credit card.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Banana_Boy posted:

This is mostly just a thought experiment. I already have the right car for my situation. But damnit I can dream!

Currently driving a 2013 Prius, tons and tons of life left in it, only 93,000km (57,500 miles) on it. I do 680-860km a week for my work commute. Been doing this for a year. The drive itself is totally fine. Stress free, mostly doing 90-95 km/h on back roads. Thing is, as we all know, the Prius is loving boring.

I constantly find myself thinking what I could replace the Prius with; get a 3rd vehicle (wife drives a CX-5) I drive say once a week into work for fun? Get a Miata? Hot hatch? Who knows!

Any and all suggestions and thoughts are welcome, including the very, very obvious, don’t do anything you idiot.

Body Style: I’m open, though a backseat is preferred despite my mention of the Miata above
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I like them but probably not what I’m looking for here. Aux in or blue tooth and I’ll get by
What aspects are most important to you? Fun then somewhat reliable and fuel efficient. Gas in Canadian fun bux ain’t cheap so still needs to be a consideration considering how much I drive.

Just wondering, why do you want a backseat for your fun car?

Having an extra fun car is nice but it means another car you have to maintain and insure. Can you drive stick? Being able to drive stick or open to it gives you more options.

Do you have garage space? Getting something older, may require garage space since they'll rust away if you drive them in snow or have them outside. You're in Canada, which has more lax importing laws, so you could go nuts and import something from Japan.

Have you considered trading in the Prius for a more fun daily driver?

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Just wondering, why do you want a backseat for your fun car?

Having an extra fun car is nice but it means another car you have to maintain and insure. Can you drive stick? Being able to drive stick or open to it gives you more options.

Do you have garage space? Getting something older, may require garage space since they'll rust away if you drive them in snow or have them outside. You're in Canada, which has more lax importing laws, so you could go nuts and import something from Japan.

Have you considered trading in the Prius for a more fun daily driver?

I don’t necessarily want a backseat, it just makes things easier with two kids still in car seats for a few different reasons.

I can drive stick yeah, and I’ve got the garage space. But yeah I have very much considered trading for a more fun daily, just finding it a bit hard to nail down as I do have to be somewhat cautious of fuel consumption.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do not buy a more fun daily since a) your commute is boring sounding b) you own the ultimate commuting appliance already and c) you can always drive the fun car to work when the weather is nice etc

you should get a miata if you like miatas otherwise the world is your oyster since it don't have to start in the morning necessarily

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Also (d) if you're super concerned about gas mileage then you can't really afford a third car just for funsies. Hot take?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Banana_Boy posted:

I don’t necessarily want a backseat, it just makes things easier with two kids still in car seats for a few different reasons.

I can drive stick yeah, and I’ve got the garage space. But yeah I have very much considered trading for a more fun daily, just finding it a bit hard to nail down as I do have to be somewhat cautious of fuel consumption.

If you're ever going to have to haul kids, you need something with a back seat. Preferably one real humans can fit into, because your kids aren't going to be small for long.

If you want something more fun to drive than a Prius for your commute, get something like a Mazda 3 or a Ford Focus.

Your "needs" seem to be shifting around. If you want a third car just for fun, then stick to that. Finding the One Car that does it all is impossible. You're going to have to compromise somewhere.

Prioritize your requirements for the car.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also (d) if you're super concerned about gas mileage then you can't really afford a third car just for funsies. Hot take?

Not at all. $20,000, even Canadian, is a ton of money to pay for what is essentially a toy that you'll use sparingly. Are there no other, better purposes for that money? Even if you spent it all on frivolous stuff I would wager there are better fun/dollar ratio diversions out there.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute 10 miles one way. Trips to nearby cities > 6h away.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. I do like the amenities that are more common these days, like rear-view camera, proximity sensors, etc.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and repair cost.

I have been driving a 97' Honda Civic for the last 9 years. For the last 9 months, the tail pipe has been hanging by a coat hanger. I have finished my doctorate and will start a high-paying job in one week. My overall expenses are low, I've never had a car payment, I have a high credit score. I would like to experience more of life without constantly worrying about my car breaking down or generally being difficult to drive. I live in a midwestern city with a beautiful and close city, state, and federal park system. I have friends that live in larger nearby city's that I visit several times a year, and would like to visit more often, without my car breaking down on the way back and costing me an expensive tow to recover.

I do not know anything about buying a car off a lot and would appreciate recommendations or reading material regarding that. Are there any cases at this price point where buying a new car is actually somehow a more efficient use of the money?

I've had my eye on Mazda3 hatchback -- I'm kinda liking the idea of the grand touring model. I also like the Honda Fit, which seems to be the more frugal option. In any case I could pay this car off in less than 6 months if it were beneficial.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

very legit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kudaros posted:

New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute 10 miles one way. Trips to nearby cities > 6h away.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No. I do like the amenities that are more common these days, like rear-view camera, proximity sensors, etc.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and repair cost.

I have been driving a 97' Honda Civic for the last 9 years. For the last 9 months, the tail pipe has been hanging by a coat hanger. I have finished my doctorate and will start a high-paying job in one week. My overall expenses are low, I've never had a car payment, I have a high credit score. I would like to experience more of life without constantly worrying about my car breaking down or generally being difficult to drive. I live in a midwestern city with a beautiful and close city, state, and federal park system. I have friends that live in larger nearby city's that I visit several times a year, and would like to visit more often, without my car breaking down on the way back and costing me an expensive tow to recover.

I do not know anything about buying a car off a lot and would appreciate recommendations or reading material regarding that. Are there any cases at this price point where buying a new car is actually somehow a more efficient use of the money?

I've had my eye on Mazda3 hatchback -- I'm kinda liking the idea of the grand touring model. I also like the Honda Fit, which seems to be the more frugal option. In any case I could pay this car off in less than 6 months if it were beneficial.

you can also consider the Honda Civic hatchback if you like your Honda

generally buying a used car is more efficient in pure money terms but you can probably get a really nice rate on a new car and if you are going to make a lot of money I would just go ahead and buy new at the price range you are considering

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Banana_Boy posted:

Keep the Prius and buy something cheap and stupid off of Craigslist for a few grand like a Miata or an E30 BMW or an old Trans Am or something. I'm usually of the opinion that owning one smart car and one stupid car is far better than trying to find just one marginal car to check all possible boxes. Just don't be like me and start buying a bunch of vintage Toyotas or you're gonna have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Does the no rentals rule also apply to demonstration cars? The one I'm eyeing has 8000km on it and is 10 months old.