Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

buglord posted:

Expansion/patch is amazing on all levels but late game performance boosts are :krad:

Late game performance was still mega-lovely on my Gran Colombia runthrough. I just set up my battleship/carrier assembly lines around 1941 and left the game run for 8 hours until I got my achievement:

Gran Colombia is fun to form though, but the latter half of that achievement (regearing toward capital ships) is the real pain. Sure, fighting in the Andes isn't fun, but fascist Gran Colombia definitely has the feeling of a sleeper superpower. Pax Americana came really, really late (like 1944?) so I would have totally been able to conquer South America on my own if I didn't have to regear towards navy stuff for the achievement. My annexation order went Panama -> Ecuador -> Venezuela (touch-and-go there for awhile, they had a successful counterattack at the beginning of the war) -> Peru (not really as much of a "challenge" per se but it was an infinite slog through mountain terrain).

The war versus Peru saw like 600k casualties on my side and a million on the Peruvian side.

Oh, and the Japanese AI somehow managed to decimate the US Navy (they only had like 30 ships when I quit the game), and took Pearl Harbor.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What counts as a capital ship? A heavy cruiser?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
You need 10 Carriers and 10 BB for that achievement. Your real problem is finding anyone who can trade you enough steel for the production. For some reason South America has like 8 Steel in total.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sounds like an achievement you'd only get if you AFK for 8 hours, or conquer the US.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tahirovic posted:

You need 10 Carriers and 10 BB for that achievement. Your real problem is finding anyone who can trade you enough steel for the production. For some reason South America has like 8 Steel in total.

10 CV, 10 BB, and be fascist.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Tahirovic posted:

Is there a proper write up on how to get Victoria III ?

Kick the nazis out and revive the Kaiserreich. Delete your army before you invite Wilhelm II back so the dutch go 'lolno' and you get Wilhelm III instead. Restore his inheritance and modernize the succession laws. Go down the British alliance path in your focus tree and ask them to restore your british titles. Send Victoria as a liaison before the rest of the royal family. Boom.

Note that all of this requires the Hindenburg to survive so if it blows up beforehand you need to start over.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

loving lol Xibet San Ma did their Join the Republican Government focus and they ate my nationalist Chinese puppet.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

HerraS posted:

Kick the nazis out and revive the Kaiserreich. Delete your army before you invite Wilhelm II back so the dutch go 'lolno' and you get Wilhelm III instead. Restore his inheritance and modernize the succession laws. Go down the British alliance path in your focus tree and ask them to restore your british titles. Send Victoria as a liaison before the rest of the royal family. Boom.

Note that all of this requires the Hindenburg to survive so if it blows up beforehand you need to start over.

More specifically, the tree picks you have to make are Oppose Hitler and An Alliance with the Shade. Britain must accept the alliance (I've never seen them refuse), after which you must perform the decisions "Reinstate Prince Wilhelm's Right of Succession", "Modernize the Succession Laws", and "Request Restoration of British Titles". Once the event fires for the ceremony, select the option to send a liaison (the first option, IIRC).

As HerraS said, the Hindenburg must survive (totally random) and the Dutch must refuse to allow Wilhelm to return when you do the first decision, and you must then back down on the event that pops up.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 11, 2018

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Playing as the Qing and holy gently caress the Japanese AI is the worst. stop abandoning my supply lines goddamnit

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does a lack of resources decrease the max production efficiency or does it just slow the rate at which production efficiency increases? The tooltips suggest the latter but in that case if a line is already at max efficiency then having 0 of the required resources wouldn't make any difference to production. Can that be right?

e: oh actually if you hover over the actual number produced per day it does sound like it reduces the efficiency cap not just growth.

fuf fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 11, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

this patch, is off the chain. Especially like that the division AI seems much more responsive and aggressive

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Warning to anyone playing Communist China - the "Marxism with Chinese Characteristics" focus puts you in a faction of your own. Do it while at war with Japan, and it'll kick you out of the Chinese United Front, and when Japan loses the war you alone will remain at war with Japan, forever.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Gort posted:

Warning to anyone playing Communist China - the "Marxism with Chinese Characteristics" focus puts you in a faction of your own. Do it while at war with Japan, and it'll kick you out of the Chinese United Front, and when Japan loses the war you alone will remain at war with Japan, forever.

Another fun fact, taking it before the 'form a national government of self-defence' focus bypasses them so you can't even choose to be part of the united front through event later.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's it even for? I don't see what Communist China gains from being in a faction on their own, it just means they can't join any other factions.

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
Is there any way, playing as the USSR, to guarantee you get a "Red Alert" style war? That is, ensure that France, Germany and the UK form a single anti-Communist alliance? I imagine this would require modding but would love a solution that didn't.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

BulletHole posted:

Is there any way, playing as the USSR, to guarantee you get a "Red Alert" style war? That is, ensure that France, Germany and the UK form a single anti-Communist alliance? I imagine this would require modding but would love a solution that didn't.

You probably can't do it without forcing Germany to change governments and break out of the axis, but you could use a war declaration on a country both parties have guarantees on. For example, if you tag over to germany, have them guarantee romania after britain has done so, theyll both join romania's war if you declare Romania and then the ai will happily share military access in that situation.

I think.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Drone posted:

Edit: man I wish the Player-Led Peace Conferences mod would update.

It's been updated

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
You know what'd be a good addition to peace conferences? A limit on number of turns and bidding on territory.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

What's it even for? I don't see what Communist China gains from being in a faction on their own, it just means they can't join any other factions.

It's for post Second Sino-Japanese War shenanigans, along with the People's Volunteer Army, which was their force in the Korean War. My theory is that it's supposed to represent the fact that the PRC was allied with the USSR but they weren't exactly under Stalin's thumb and claimed to be non-aligned. It's essentially useless at this point though the People's Volunteer Army is theoretically good if you knock out Japan and the Nationalists early and want to help out in Europe.

I wish they had more events for Nationalist China like in previous games. I guess they could add in some decisions but I feel like waiting out your focus tree and mediocre/to bad everything until July 1937 is bad. It's also a little too accurate when the Warlords don't send troops to the front when you form the alliance and just have them sit in their territories.

It's a good patch and the decisions are fantastic but I feel like it needs some work.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think the personally annoying thing is that you can't actually take all the focuses without exploding your economy.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I just had a good Nat China game where I managed to oust the Japanese from the continent by late '39. The warlords mainly futzed around in their own territory doing jackshit but sent me a steady stream of expeditionary forces that I was able to integrate into my frontline units nonetheless. Having fond memories of playing China in HOI2 I knew to garrison the coast pretty comprehensively, so I took all the lovely little divisions the game gives you at the start and had them watch the coast while I took on Japan with two full armies of halfway decent divisions, which was just enough to stop them making a breakthrough in the decent-infrastructure provinces near the Manchu border. Got my army reforms through, built up the general staff and flipped to full mobilisation and extensive conscription and finally had enough bodies and rifles to throw at them and make gains. I lucked out and pulled off a few decent-sized encirclements in the mountains of outer Mongolia, eating around 40 Japanese divisions before moving into Manchuria proper, all the while parrying attempted invasions up and down the coast.

All in all, a really fun fight, with lots of seesawing and micromanagement along the front. All the little political decisions, along with the choices offered by the focus tree, really forced me to think things through and decide what band aid I needed to slap onto the Chinese war machine next. Being able to tailor my generals as they grew in skill and spend command points on offensives, plans and desperate defences made the campaign feel a lot more involved and for once I wasn't just drawing a line from one end of the theatre to the other and watching my dudes do all the lifting.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress I lost another attempt as Communist China. I was making slow progress against Japan but the Soviets capitulated really early and I was made a puppet. I feel like allying with the Soviets has gotta be the best strategy but they have been totally steamrolled by Germany and Japan in every game so far. It's depressing watching them make suicidal attacks over and over again.

I'll try again and work harder to unify China before the Japan war this time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So how do armies work now? I promoted a guy to Field Marshall and he can still only command 24 divisions?

Is there an easy way to manage the more than 24 divisions holding ports that you basically just want to dig in and never move?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

HerraS posted:

And after all that you can conquer central europe, northern italy and the low countries and restore the Holy Roman Empire. That whole path is some kind of stupid hidden shitpost and I love it.

Away all Goats posted:

So how do armies work now? I promoted a guy to Field Marshall and he can still only command 24 divisions?

Is there an easy way to manage the more than 24 divisions holding ports that you basically just want to dig in and never move?

Garrison order. Generals commanding garrison can have up to 72 divisions, or just don't use a general.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 11, 2018

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There’s deffo some new and fun jank that needs to be patched but this expansion is great and I feel like the mechanics are going to improve a good chunk of my Kaiserreich 4 complaints

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Away all Goats posted:

When you make an army another portrait with a green plus appears to the left of it. While you have the army selected, right click on that portrait. That's the field marshall slot, s/he can control 5 armies of 24 divisions, or 8 with a specific trait.

e:Are garrison orders broken for anybody else? My guys just sit in a single stack while 1 division goes off and tries to fulfil the entire order by itself.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 11, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wasted the entire day on a German Reich game, that focus tree is the best. And yeah Germany has a tad too much industry right now, I fielded some 3500 Naval bombers over the channel by late 39.
The AI is a lot funnier too, the UK actually sent the Royal Navy in when I tried to do an invasion, that's when the Bismarck's fleet and the bombers sunk them.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

fuf posted:

gently caress I lost another attempt as Communist China. I was making slow progress against Japan but the Soviets capitulated really early and I was made a puppet. I feel like allying with the Soviets has gotta be the best strategy but they have been totally steamrolled by Germany and Japan in every game so far. It's depressing watching them make suicidal attacks over and over again.

I'll try again and work harder to unify China before the Japan war this time.

Ive found that you really should focus on beating the japanese first before uniting china, you can eat Shanxi and maaaybe Xibei San Ma before the japanese come knocking. Just sit on the border until the nippon war machine runs out of steam around 1944-45 and then make a mad dash so you get Mengukuo and Manchuria under your control when the treaty of Nanjing fires - this gives you an industrial base to build yourself up while you infiltrate Kuomintang areas. The Nationalist divisions are mostly trash that loses straight fights against you once you equip yours properly. I made the KMT capitulate around 1949 and then ate the rest of my neighbours.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It's true what they say. The best navy is hundreds of naval bombers.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Radio Free Kobold posted:

It's true what they say. The best navy is hundreds of naval bombers.

It really is.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

HerraS posted:

Ive found that you really should focus on beating the japanese first before uniting china, you can eat Shanxi and maaaybe Xibei San Ma before the japanese come knocking. Just sit on the border until the nippon war machine runs out of steam around 1944-45 and then make a mad dash so you get Mengukuo and Manchuria under your control when the treaty of Nanjing fires - this gives you an industrial base to build yourself up while you infiltrate Kuomintang areas. The Nationalist divisions are mostly trash that loses straight fights against you once you equip yours properly. I made the KMT capitulate around 1949 and then ate the rest of my neighbours.

yeah this is what I was doing pretty much. I guess I hosed up by joining the comintern so when the soviets capitulated a peace was forced on me. If I was still unaligned I think I would have been able to fight on? I think I also got unlucky with how poorly the soviets did. But yeah I get your point about waiting until Japan is dealt with before uniting China.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Just join the United Front either through one of the Warlords triggerin the Xian Incident or the focus trees so Nat China can put its troops along the entire front.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

As Communist China I've had most success by making divisions of five infantry battalions and a support artillery company. Beelined straight to the "Exploit the weak neighbours" focus and I was able to eat Shanxi and Xibei San Ma before the Japanese invaded. (Well, I still had half of Xibei San Ma to conquer when the war started, but they were more-or-less beaten)

Now I'm just pushing the remaining Japanese units out of the Nationalist Chinese areas and preparing my infiltration. The units you get for infiltrating are mostly trash, so I'd suggest just infiltrating each area to the "militia will take control of the province" level then launching the takeover as soon as possible.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is there a way to unlock, modify or even loving delete these worthless 5 people's army divisions manchuria gets?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Shouldve staffed your court with Manchus :dukedog:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
With the new features, you could probably make a good standalone mod that just does Warlord Era China from 1920-1930 and blacks out the rest of the world. Major cliques would be modeled as alliances of smaller warlords, there'd be competing north-south government allegiances, constant border wars, offmap lend-lease from imperialist powers, Japan and the Soviets in Siberia acting as a mix of the Great Hordes and the Chinese Empires in CK2, etc.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I wish they had more events for Nationalist China like in previous games. I guess they could add in some decisions but I feel like waiting out your focus tree and mediocre/to bad everything until July 1937 is bad. It's also a little too accurate when the Warlords don't send troops to the front when you form the alliance and just have them sit in their territories.

It's a good patch and the decisions are fantastic but I feel like it needs some work.

I think that some decisions where the nationalists can seize territory from warlords with either border incidents or political struggles after reaching the Nationalism focus would be a good replacement/generalization of the historical events that transfer Guangdong to the Central Government mid-1936.

... Of course, that feature would also justify adding the Sichuan Clique and even Han Fuju/Shandong as warlords, and making all of Hebei and Shanghai demilitarized zones like they historically were. Plus, historically there'd have to be near-constant border wars with the Communists up until the Xi'an incident. At that point you'd probably have to reduce Nat China's starting debuffs to make them even have a chance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm kinda curious what the next expansion is gonna be. It feels like most major players now have pretty interesting trees with plenty of alternate history options and all. Maybe an Allies focused one to get some more wide options for North America/Brits/Russia? I'd kinda love a 'minor powers' focused one that gives guys like fuckin Turkey and Mexico and all neat options, they were not unimportant but obviously not the main focuses of the time and all.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

I'm kinda curious what the next expansion is gonna be. It feels like most major players now have pretty interesting trees with plenty of alternate history options and all. Maybe an Allies focused one to get some more wide options for North America/Brits/Russia? I'd kinda love a 'minor powers' focused one that gives guys like fuckin Turkey and Mexico and all neat options, they were not unimportant but obviously not the main focuses of the time and all.

Latin America and the Middle East are two regions I would love to see fleshed out.

I would say the same of Africa but there arent many independent nations there and one of the major ones (South Africa) already did get its time in the sun. Maybe they could combine it with the Iberian peninsula?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

An entire expansion dedicated to Liberia.

The great Free Mason state shall rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So far have done:

Mao run with historical focus off. This was ok while I was wailing on the weak neighbours, but Japan never invaded anyone and Nat Chi got gobbled up by Yunnan so overall it was a bit boring.

Japan democratic run. First two tries I got stomped in the Civil War. Third time went well, I ended up crushing Manchuria (even though it was democratic - I feel like it should turn fascist if you make the decision to expel the fascists there). But after that not much happened.

Germany democratic run. The civil war right at the start was a shocker, but it’s so much fun to give Rommel a tank division and send him barrelling through the SS lines to break open a path to Berlin. So far, France has just gone full communist after a civil war, and I’m gearing up for a 2 fronter against them and SU (assuming they carve through Poland to get at me).

New patch is good.