Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Dreadwroth posted:

Arkham Horror is great, they managed to really nail the feel of hopeless odds and you really dont want to get attached to your investigator because they are most certainly going to die horribly. The only real down points to the game are its loving gigantic, like take up an entire dining table huge, and a game can take up to 6 hours easily.

I played this exactly once and we got to the four hour mark with my investigator inexplicably alive after some amazing dice rolls/card pulls. My friend running it decided he was too tired to continue and the group acquiesced, but I think he was annoyed I was still alive.

It’s a shame it’s such a time sink. You’d think there’d be a PC version by now that at least cut out the space concerns (one mechanic has changing rooms, requiring you to move these big squares around).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There is Elder Signs Omens on mobile that uses basically the same system, but on a much smaller board.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I played this exactly once and we got to the four hour mark with my investigator inexplicably alive after some amazing dice rolls/card pulls. My friend running it decided he was too tired to continue and the group acquiesced, but I think he was annoyed I was still alive.

It’s a shame it’s such a time sink. You’d think there’d be a PC version by now that at least cut out the space concerns (one mechanic has changing rooms, requiring you to move these big squares around).

I think you're thinking of Mansions of Madness? Arkham takes place in a set board that doesn't move.

MoM has two different versions the first edition has one player being the baddies and the rest trying to beat them while the second turns that role into an app and it's fully cooperative. I really want to try the second edition but it's entirely too expensive for something I probably won't play more than once and I've already got more of games like that than I'd prefer.

Shadows of Brimstone is so cool and fun but I can never get anyone over to play it. It's a weird west dungeon crawler. A sequel comes out this year that's basically an Onimusha dungeon crawler.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's a boardgame that does this, Arkham Horror or something similar, and it works pretty well - also there are various possible threats and you don't know which one it's going to turn out to be, so you can't really plan ahead

I think your thinking of Betrayal at House on the Hill. You don't know what scenario you're playing until a while into the game and anyone could turn out to be the villain.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think your thinking of Betrayal at House on the Hill. You don't know what scenario you're playing until a while into the game and anyone could turn out to be the villain.

We had a game of that once where i found a gun so when the bad poo poo happened i found the item to not die and just ran in a straight line shooting players as needed to keep them away from me

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Sounds like the climax of your average horror movie

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Arkham horror isn't too difficult although the negative cards (random get devoured cards) and enemies constantly spawning can feel pretty oppressive. The different elder gods can actually be surprisingly easy, especially if your group is actually spending the whole game prepping to fight the elder god instead of primarily on preventing its summoning. I don't know about the expansions though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hey I was thinking about this idea for a horror game: You walk around a creepy environment looking at disturbing imagery, maybe learning about some psycho deranged killer through various audiologs, but get this, at the end it turns out YOU are the killer! Anybody considered this twist before? Might make for a pretty cool concept.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Hey I was thinking about this idea for a horror game: You walk around a creepy environment looking at disturbing imagery, maybe learning about some psycho deranged killer through various audiologs, but get this, at the end it turns out YOU are the killer! Anybody considered this twist before? Might make for a pretty cool concept.

(naked snake voice) Huh...?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

exquisite tea posted:

https://youtu.be/ap9g2vR32Vg

I know you're joking, I just wanted to post this clip

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

poo poo, I'm browsing Reddit by accident again.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
a man, but like, with a bottle of pills for a head, and carrying a fire axe

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
a man with a fire axe for a head, but he's carrying a bottle of pills, and he uses his head to open the bottle of pills and inside are spiders that also have axes for heads

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bogart posted:

a man, but like, with a bottle of pills for a head, and carrying a fire axe

What if it was a bonsai tree instead

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

exquisite tea posted:

I just wanted to go into SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A horror game that accurately and faithfully represents mental illness without being exploitative of it and not misrepresenting mental health

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

A horror game that accurately and faithfully represents mental illness without being exploitative of it and not misrepresenting mental health

That game would just suck.

Also, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also Night in the Woods

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just yearn for a day when horror doesn't resort to things like "well actually the problems are a result of mental illness"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

FirstAidKite posted:

I just yearn for a day when horror doesn't resort to things like "well actually the problems are a result of mental illness"

Neither Hellblade or NITW arrive at that conclusion.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_IO4bv76g
Pretty neat looking

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

They're the exceptions. I'm talking about in general. I'm glad that horror as a genre as of late seems to be moving away from that trend though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

i saw this years ago and it's worse than any horror game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWYwckFrksg

i'm down.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 13, 2018

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

exquisite tea posted:

They're also not horror. Suspenseful, maybe, but not horror in the least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Although there are few things more unimaginably horrific than being alive as a millennial in the American rustbelt, I agree that NITW is not a horror game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest, I'm not sure how you'd accurately represent mental illness in a horror game that doesn't go "welp, crazy people sure are messed up haha look aren't crazy people scary????"

Hellblade makes a good attempt but you kind of need to immerse yourself and wear headphones for the intended effect of Senua's psychosis and Night in the Woods, while great, is going to have the problem of a lot of people just not relating to Mae and calling her a spoiled ungrateful brat.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Outlast 'MENTAL PATIENTS ARE SCAAAAARY!' is not the way to go.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

man i really want that carrion game. looks good as hell.

https://twitter.com/gynecomaster/status/971953564019974147

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Silent Hill 2 comes to mind, where whatever disassociation James is doing is played about as tragically as possible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Silent Hill 2 comes to mind, where whatever disassociation James is doing is played about as tragically as possible.

Even then I feel like people kinda miss the point and focus more on the lore of the series overall than the personal story Silent Hill 2 is trying to tell. So many people seem to think that the town is punishing James, Angela and Eddie as some kind of pseudo-Christian purgatory when really, the town is just twisting itself to their innermost desires; all of which are completely unhealthy and devastating.

I think if you've had severe mental health issues, you'll take a lot more out of Silent Hill 2 than others do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wish the series had just taken what it did in SH2 and continued to do that kind of story with other characters. SH1 introduces the town, the rest of the series is about people stumbling on it after the cult is gone because the cult has always kind of sucked.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked the cult stuff from 4 :( And 3 for the most part until it started... getting fetus-vomity.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

For the first ten seconds or so, I thought it was going to be a game in the style of Lone Survivor. Now, it's my most anticipated game of the year.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

4's cult stuff is mostly a backdrop to Walter's story, anyway.

4 is kind of interesting in that Henry isn't actually that important, except for the part where he's just lethal enough with the ole 3' steel pipe of holy destruction to get in the way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I stopped following the series after SH4 but SH2 is kind of the odd one out now, isn't it? Most of the games do have that cultist backdrop rather than the "Silent Hill is a dark mirror of your own psyche" element you saw in the second game and the movie adaptation I guess, if you want to count that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm not much of an expert on Silent Hill, but from what I remember pretty much all of them have that whole dark mirror of your psyche thing, but 2 and Homecoming are the only ones I remember where it was mirroring the protagonist. IIRC 3 was mirroring Dahlia, and 4 was mirroring Walter. I don't really know dick all about the first game since I never got to play it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danaru posted:

I'm not much of an expert on Silent Hill, but from what I remember pretty much all of them have that whole dark mirror of your psyche thing, but 2 and Homecoming are the only ones I remember where it was mirroring the protagonist. IIRC 3 was mirroring Dahlia, and 4 was mirroring Walter. I don't really know dick all about the first game since I never got to play it.

1 was less of a mirror, and more of a physical manifestation of a broken girl's psyche. Also heavily cult-related.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Danaru posted:

I liked the cult stuff from 4 :( And 3 for the most part until it started... getting fetus-vomity.

Same, except the fetus-vomity thing was so absurd that I couldn't make myself not like it. Tried, failed. Voice acting for that bit punched my second-hand embarrassment pretty hard, tho'.

IDK, people make a lot of hay about the cult, but forget that it's been a mainstay since 1, with throwbacks in 2. It's not like people are inventing purgatory out of thin air when it comes to 2, and the tie-ins aren't exactly referential (I mean, there's a reason the Maria ending suggests that James is about to go and do the whole drat thing over again/that he's being slapped for not learning a single goddamn thing/why the endings are arranged the way they are-- and a reason that Laura is technically the foil for all the crazy happening). It doesn't beat you over the head with cult it's the cult it's the the way the other games do, sure, and it's cool to take from it what you will, but treating it like it's just a fan-theory is kind of silly. The game is good, there's a lot of things to get attached to, but let's not tie ourselves in knots pretending it's something that it's not.

That said, it's not like I haven't jumped through hoops to make the cult palatable, but that's kind of the crux of it: there's not nearly enough details given about wtf is going on to say for sure that the cult is what made the town the way it is/was, or if it's always been like that, and was ultimately influenced in a weird way by the cult's presence.

One way or another, it definitely "judged" people based on a highly black and white understanding of pseudo-Christian morality.

Also--

Danaru posted:

IIRC 3 was mirroring Dahlia

Claudia, but also Heather/Alessa.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 14, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Old Boot posted:

Claudia, but also Heather/Alessa.

Whoops, that's who I meant :v: In my defense their names both end in "ia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Danaru posted:

Whoops, that's who I meant :v: In my defense their names both end in "ia"

Being fair, there's not a super-remarkable distinction between the two of them, when viewed at a distance.

OTOH, one of them had what is arguably the biggest tie on earth, which the other apparently sacrificed in favor of having semi-relatable motivations. And no eyebrows.