Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gucci bane posted:

Love to welcome highly skilled workers into my country where graduate jobs are extremely hard to come by. Baby boomers need more money from their shares. Even caring for a second about the middle class youth of our country is dog whistling.

Genius Australian guide to fixing expertise shortages: let companies bring in mid level people with skills for cheap in perpetuity while graduates are never given jobs or skilled up

Underemployment, non existent wage growth and imported temporary workers are a totally discussion about immigration policy levers than infrastructure HTH. Also again, these aren't problems with immigration as much as wealth transfer policies, casualisation, worker disempowerement and union busting. Immigration creates growth, who benefits from that growth is based on government policy not immigration itself.

457 visas are total dogshit though and should have been run out of town with pitchforks years ago, so I guess I agree with you there.

Identifying something that sounds like a lovely dogwhistle isn't actually an argument in favor of the opposite. I honestly don't know what Australia should be doing population wise, whether we should be looking to grow, maintain or shrink. Placing blame with immigration and thus immigrants for the issues we have in this country is total bullshit though and I'm mad at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Fair enough but I don't think simply saying immigration is a dogwhistle in the context of that article is fair. I don't think the word requires a massive caveat around it without being automatically a dogwhistle.

Others mentioned refugees and obviously read a different article to the boring one that was posted itt.

E: first sentence didn't make sense

Wait it’s not a dog whistle because you think it’s about Chinese and Indians not muslims?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

tithin posted:

This article pisses me off for a number of reasons.

I'm going to say this knowing that banks are scum, and there's a reason I'm a proud unionist in that sector.

But banks can only work off the information that you or your representative give you.

poo poo attitude - it's not the banks duty to work it out for you. You see an asset, you go to a lender, you work out a proposition. If you can afford it, it'll generally get approved.

your statement of position is your responsibility to complete, no one else's for just this reason.

It is your responsibility to know your incomings and outgoings, it is your responsibility to know your assets and liabilities.

the bank can only reasonably work off what it's been given, and if you're going to willingly lie on your statement of position to get a loan, you cannot be surprised by the outcome.

If you're going through a broker and the broker lies, that is an issue with the broker that needs to be addressed because the bank is as much a victim in that transaction as you are.

loving hell, what dumb loving mutt gives a 71 year old any sort of loan and expects it to be repaid.

Those loving idiots.

Yeah, having gone through the loan paperwork recently I'm just facepalming reading this. We were asked about our incomes and expenditures and we had to get back to them because we didn't have exact numbers.

Also why did she need 13 houses exactly? Like at what point do you go "aw yeah, I need me another house mayte" and think 13 was a reasonable number?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Who the gently caress signs a loving contract for a six or seven figure debt without loving reading it Jesus Christ I spent ages going through ours and going back to people to make sure I understood the bits that didn’t make sense to me

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Are wealth creators like job creators?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZMXK69wu8I

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Solemn Sloth posted:

Who the gently caress signs a loving contract for a six or seven figure debt without loving reading it Jesus Christ I spent ages going through ours and going back to people to make sure I understood the bits that didn’t make sense to me

Boomers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

tithin posted:

Boomers.

Zero loving personal responsibility because governments have always forced the taxpayer or regulators or corporations to bail them out of their stupid loving decision making

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Knobb Manwich posted:

Are wealth creators like job creators?

Yes but with more automation

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think the she'll be right mentality is unique to Australia and a dangerous one when making financial decisions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

I think the she'll be right mentality is unique to Australia and a dangerous one when making financial decisions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I hope all those rich people's houses fall into the sea.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I hope all those rich people fall into the sea and their houses are seized and lived in by rent seeker-abused millennials

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I don't want no loving mcmansion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hooman posted:

Underemployment, non existent wage growth and imported temporary workers are a totally discussion about immigration policy levers than infrastructure HTH. Also again, these aren't problems with immigration as much as wealth transfer policies, casualisation, worker disempowerement and union busting. Immigration creates growth, who benefits from that growth is based on government policy not immigration itself.

457 visas are total dogshit though and should have been run out of town with pitchforks years ago, so I guess I agree with you there.

Identifying something that sounds like a lovely dogwhistle isn't actually an argument in favor of the opposite. I honestly don't know what Australia should be doing population wise, whether we should be looking to grow, maintain or shrink. Placing blame with immigration and thus immigrants for the issues we have in this country is total bullshit though and I'm mad at that.

And then people get mad about immigrants or mad about people mad about immigrants and stop talking or thinking about anything else

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I don't want no loving mcmansion.

What if you live in it with a bunch of other renters and actually manage to make appropriate use of the space

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

What if you live in it with a bunch of other renters and actually manage to make appropriate use of the space

So a sharehouse?

https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/973064355121061889

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

And then slowly do away with the faux rich parts of it while improving the energy and water efficiency of the entire plot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Re: Rental Properties.

LJ Hooker still hasn't fixed my oven door. It's been 2 months since the job was accepted by an apparent tradesperson and nothing has been done.

LJ Hooker is my true enemy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Maybe I should ask Airtasker.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

LJ Hooker still hasn't fixed my oven door. It's been 2 months since the job was accepted by an apparent tradesperson and nothing has been done.

release the vermintide

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why is LJ Hooker stopping me from having McCain Frozen Pizzas?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Periphery posted:

Hmm, yes just let me check...

:thunk:

Edit: I'll get you for this, Knobb Manwich!

I live near places that are poorly serviced by everything like Pt Cook, this includes road, rail and services. They require basic service roads that don't exist. The rest of my posts are about general infrastructure so you're being disingenuous and periphery was just keen to post his equivalent of Gob bursting in doing a chicken noise.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 12, 2018

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

why are you eating McCain frozen pizzas when you could be eating Dr Nazi pizzas instead?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

McCain Cheese and Bacon is the best frozen pizza in the werld

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Wait it’s not a dog whistle because you think it’s about Chinese and Indians not muslims?

I was directly addressing posts re refugees which didn't make sense. I said anyone that would actually interpret this (or something about women's day, depressed wages, whatever) in a way that it could demonise people would be to demonise the ones most popularly construed as jamming up roads and trains.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I live next to a rail line with like 8 services that is two stops from the city and it won't cope with the 10,000 people that will move to Footscray in the next year or so without more ways to distribute traffic or double the rail services. That would be a train roughly every minute at 8am.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Pollytics/status/973114963588861952
Lol, amazing...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

Find whoever is in charge of the property there and just call them ten times a day until they fix the thing or have a stroke.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nazi's make Pizzas?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's not just the LNP loving as up at a state level.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/brisbane-metro-project-delayed-over-land-deal-20180308-p4z3g4.html

Behold the clusterfuck pipedream that is BRISBANE METRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LTt5OhufGY

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Barnaby_Joyce/status/973146666298519552

if only we had some sort of...

infrastructure minister...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

drunkill posted:

I like these comments when they're from average Joes in the hun demanding equivalent major projects in towns that have the population Melbourne grows by in 12 months.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

There's nothing stopping you from calling the RTA, who aren't toothless tigers in QLD.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Your freezer isn't broken. Sounds like you can have all the frozen pizzas you like.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

"Well I went to call them up but the rats have chewed through the cables!"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh yeah good point I just need to be agile enough to eat it frozen

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:cripes: Lord

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

"Dave, the rats are here"

"Ahnidav you've done it again"

drunkill posted:

He needs to stay off twitter forever.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008