Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

And make sure you watch the Batman Beyond episode for the greatest Bruce Wayne moment in history.

The part where he can't change a tire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

And make sure you watch the Batman Beyond episode for the greatest Bruce Wayne moment in history.

That ep is so rich you could mean a few things. Do you mean the very end?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

What are some really good Ra's Al Ghul stories?

Sticking to comics, anything by Denny O'Neil (especially Tales of the Demon). I also liked Death and the Maidens, although that's really more about Talia and Nyssa than Ra's.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Unmature posted:

That ep is so rich you could mean a few things. Do you mean the very end?

The part where Talia starts talking in Ra's voice stands out for me imo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm sure he means Bruce realizing that the Talia he's been frenching all episode is actually Ra'z

And of course Bruce can't change a tire, he's had Alfred most of his life and every vehicle he drives either has run flat tires or doesn't have tires.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

Tower of Babel? Son of the Demon, maybe?

Talia tends to overshadow her father most of the time.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roth posted:

Batman Annual 8: Messiah of the Crimson Sun

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I'm sure he means Bruce realizing that the Talia he's been frenching all episode is actually Ra'z

Thisssssssss.

It's amazing and Conroy should have won an award for it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Talia" left grey in Bruce's hair because she thought it looked distinguished. Totally not for other reasons, Ra's, you pervert.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has any modern-ish comics referenced Amazing Spider-Man #12, it's Doc Ock's second appearance and early in the story Spider-Man get's a 24-hour flu and Ock beats him and unmasks him, but the fight was so easy, and Parker was known to be so puny, no one believed he could be Spider-Man J Jonah is there for the unmasking. It feels like to kind of deep cut you could get some leverage out of, "Hey Parker, remember that time you dressed up as Spider-Man, for a genius you did some dumb poo poo as a teenager."

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Trying to recall the name of a comic, about a small rural USA town that gets affected by a whole heap of stuff. Sherrif's kid got super powers I wanna say, it was an indie comic too. Last issue I can remember is the sherrif's kid's female friend developing her own spectacular abilities.

Any one have any idea?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Has any modern-ish comics referenced Amazing Spider-Man #12, it's Doc Ock's second appearance and early in the story Spider-Man get's a 24-hour flu and Ock beats him and unmasks him, but the fight was so easy, and Parker was known to be so puny, no one believed he could be Spider-Man J Jonah is there for the unmasking. It feels like to kind of deep cut you could get some leverage out of, "Hey Parker, remember that time you dressed up as Spider-Man, for a genius you did some dumb poo poo as a teenager."

The Fox cartoon did that in an episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I don't remember the issue, but I definitely know that there was some comic where one of the people there found out Peter was Spider-Man and then asked how they could be that stupid to not realize it when Spider-Man was unmasked in front of them.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Cassa posted:

Trying to recall the name of a comic, about a small rural USA town that gets affected by a whole heap of stuff. Sherrif's kid got super powers I wanna say, it was an indie comic too. Last issue I can remember is the sherrif's kid's female friend developing her own spectacular abilities.

Any one have any idea?

I imagine that'd be North 40, written by Aaron Williams with art by Fiona Staples.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Skwirl posted:

It's come up a few times.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

All of the Denny O'Neil "Demon" stories are great. Also echoing for Death and the Maiden by Rucka. I found Barr's Son of the Demon a bit uneven and your mileage might vary on that one.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

I imagine that'd be North 40, written by Aaron Williams with art by Fiona Staples.

It was! Man, only six issues, that's a bummer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

My favourite reference to it is during Civil War. After Peter outs his secret Identity to the world, the Spider-man comics deal with the fallout. And they were some good comics.*

Doc Ock's story (where he was jacked. Like seriously ripped.) Has him flipping out over the fact that it was a kid who beat him. A kid he had unmasked but had discounted the possibility because he was a kid. Basically a whole lot of denial and viewing things in hindsight.

* = the other great reactions were Jameson's feeling of betrayal by Peter over this, and Norman Osborn wigging out because "Peter wasn't supposed to reveal his identity. It's not how the game is supposed to work."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Didn't JJJ literally have a heart attack

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Didn't JJJ literally have a heart attack

JJJ didn't have his second heart attack until after Peter's secret identity was restored -- it was brought on by a combination of stress over Dexter Bennett buying out the Daily Bugle and a screaming fight with Peter over photo rights.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He did try to sue Peter though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

JJJ didn't have his second heart attack until after Peter's secret identity was restored -- it was brought on by a combination of stress over Dexter Bennett buying out the Daily Bugle and a screaming fight with Peter over photo rights.

I'm now imagining some alternate universe where Peter Parker is evil and eventually goes to Jameson and takes his mask off and causes him to have a heart attack, like Clint Eastwood and the mobster at the start of Sudden Impact.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Wikipedia say that Secret Wars removed the Irredeemable arc from Dr Doom’s past. Is this actually stated somewhere in a book or interview or is Wikipedia being Wikipedia?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

Wikipedia say that Secret Wars removed the Irredeemable arc from Dr Doom’s past. Is this actually stated somewhere in a book or interview or is Wikipedia being Wikipedia?

I can't remember if it was his mother or his ex-girlfriend's soul he made the armor out of, if it was his mother she pops up in Irredeemable Iron-Man, soul intact, so there's that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was his childhood sweetheart, and I think it was just her skin, not her soul. His mother's soul was freed in Triumph and Torment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

It was his childhood sweetheart, and I think it was just her skin, not her soul. His mother's soul was freed in Triumph and Torment.

I think he traded her soul for the magic upgrade.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

This is what happens when you get rid of those boxes.

quote:

* I don't know if Valeria has been shown to be still alive in new continuity or not. -- Ed.

I did search around to see if Valeria had appeared since Secret Wars and nobody has any details on her coming back, so I suspect it's yet another case of the people who you don't want editing a wiki being the ones most likely to edit it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

I think he traded her soul for the magic upgrade.
But the suit was made out of her skin, because "Oh no, years of good writing has made this villain sympathetic, I need to go way over the top to make them hateable again" is apparently a gently caress-up that all writers must make at least once.

To the best of my knowledge nothing in Irredeemable has been specifically overwritten since Secret Wars, but it didn't really need to be; people started ignoring the magic skin suit the minute it was published. It'd faded into the "yeah that probably didn't happen" mists years beforehand, and while it's logical that it was thrown out with most of the other dumb poo poo in the soft reboot, nobody's actually made it explicit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

I did search around to see if Valeria had appeared since Secret Wars

Marvel Legacy #1 from last year ended like this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Marvel Legacy #1 from last year ended like this.

Wrong Valeria. She's named after the one we're talking about.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

You mean that princess from the 5th Dimension that Johnny dated

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

But the suit was made out of her skin, because "Oh no, years of good writing has made this villain sympathetic, I need to go way over the top to make them hateable again" is apparently a gently caress-up that all writers must make at least once.

To the best of my knowledge nothing in Irredeemable has been specifically overwritten since Secret Wars, but it didn't really need to be; people started ignoring the magic skin suit the minute it was published. It'd faded into the "yeah that probably didn't happen" mists years beforehand, and while it's logical that it was thrown out with most of the other dumb poo poo in the soft reboot, nobody's actually made it explicit.

Doom's leather armor will always be canon to me, because I'm sick of people acting like Doom's a good guy. :doom:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Doom redeemed His actions in Inreedemable :shrug:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
As far as I know, Unthinkable has never been retconned. Doom does seem to have changed somewhat (possibly due to his time in Hell after the events of that story), so I don't think, as he is now, he would make that same choice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It'll just be ignored until someone comes along who just can't ignore it and must retcon it, even though it hasn't been referenced in 20 years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Doom should completely be a villain and that given the chance to be truly noble he'll always make the evil, selfish choice. But there's a difference between not wanting the character to become a hero and making him do some really out of character evil gruesome poo poo just to make some kind of misguided point.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How is allowing the people to be ruled by Doom a selfish choice?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wirh Bendis gone I really hope they pull Hickman back in because I love heroic Doom and want him to stay.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Wirh Bendis gone I really hope they pull Hickman back in because I love heroic Doom and want him to stay.

:rant: :flipoff: :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I've really been ejoying Redeemed Doom. And I think they got him there in an honest way, too. He got ultimate power in a world without Reed Richards to gently caress it all up for him, which is all he's ever wanted, and he hosed it up anyway, was finally forced to admit that A)it's his fault and no one else's that he's a fuckup and B)Reed is the better man, and was then sent back to the world with his face fixed so that every time he looks in the mirror he'll remember that anything can change and everyone can be made better. Giving Doom a reason to literally take a long, hard look in the mirror is a great way to make him take a figurative long, hard look in the mirror.

Plus, the reveal that Mephisto was coming after Doom because he'd been planning on all the cool poo poo he'd do with Doom's soul when he inevitably got it and was insanely pissed off that Doom was putting himself on the path to genuine redemption owned pretty hard.