Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Reva was not part of the IGH experiments, where did you get that from?

Wasn't that a plot point in s1? They had a thumbdrive with her on a stretcher and shady poo poo happening to her? Or something to that effect.

I mean regardless, the point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was anything said about all those videos of parents doing superscience stuff to their kids? I don’t see how else it fits into the series.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Friend told me this new season of Jessica Jones is even better than Daredevil S1, this true?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Wasn't that a plot point in s1? They had a thumbdrive with her on a stretcher and shady poo poo happening to her? Or something to that effect.

The Reva reveal is that she lied to Luke and was heavily involved in the prison experimentation the whole time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Friend told me this new season of Jessica Jones is even better than Daredevil S1, this true?

You need a new friend

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Koalas March posted:

Honestly besides Trish and Malcolm the most disappointing thing to me is that it was 100% white feminism again.

Costa could've been replaced with Misty and improved the story 100%.

The story could have been improved if the black female cop's partner was also a black female? Costa's partner was actually the stronger of the two. Also, if you missed the defenders, Misty has a specific job that isn't a detective in Jessica Jones' precinct and she got her arm ripped off.
This show has interracial relationships, gay characters, a female antagonist, a female protagonist. These netflix shows are making strides in representing the underrepresented.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I thought the prison experiments in Cage were based off of Killgrave's parents experiments on him, but nothing but similar to IGH?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

The story could have been improved if the black female cop's partner was also a black female? Costa's partner was actually the stronger of the two. Also, if you missed the defenders, Misty has a specific job that isn't a detective in Jessica Jones' precinct and she got her arm ripped off.
This show has interracial relationships, gay characters, a female antagonist, a female protagonist. These netflix shows are making strides in representing the underrepresented.

Lmao. Dude you probably shouldn't tell woc that we should take what we can get be happy with it. It's not the 1960s anymore. We're not making great strides just because Uhura is setting on the bridge.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 12, 2018

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Lmao. Dude you probably shouldn't tell woc that we should take what they can get be happy with it. It's not the 1960s anymore. We're not making great strides just because Uhura is setting on the bridge.

I thought Marvel was making great strides because of Luke Cage and Black Panther.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be insensitive, I just disagree with the choice of this battlefield.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

cosmicjim posted:

I thought Marvel was making great strides because of Luke Cage and Black Panther. I think you are complaining about something because you are looking to complain about it.

Feminism without intersectionality is worthless hth

Also a common thing non-white people do to poc is gaslight them by arguing they're blowing things out of proportion, reading too hard into stuff etc. Again, not a good look.

It's not even that much of a critique. All the WoC on the show are plot devices or props. It's not like anyone is asking to make great changes of the theme/tone/cast of the show. A "feminist" show, specifically one about PTSD and anger, omitting woc or at worst reducing them down to objects, is pretty drat glaring.

I mean Luke Cage and Black Panther are great, but they are centered around men?? Once again this this seems like a "be happy with what you have.. you know, those black shows." argument.

I mean, honestly arguing those properties about men treat woc better than Jessica Jones is pretty damning in itself.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Loser_Rex posted:

I thought the prison experiments in Cage were based off of Killgrave's parents experiments on him, but nothing but similar to IGH?

Yeah IGH is its own thing doing gene editing. Kilgrave‘s parents and later the prison are doing more traditional comic book super science, with chemicals and tanks and injections.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I edited my post as soon as I submitted, because I realized it was an rear end in a top hat thing to say. Unfortunately, you caught it, and I can't hide it. I won't argue that woc are under-represented in the show. The race of a character making a show better or worse is a new concept to me. It doesn't seem that the race of the actor playing a character should matter, but that's easy for me to say, because I'm white. Misty couldn't have been Costa, though because of show continuity.

I think they intended Sunday (Costa's partner) to have more gravity, but they fell flat with her.

Edit - I do take personal offense to being told what I'm saying. By your own admission Luke Cage and Black Panther are great, but because I'm pointing that out, I'm implying that 's all you deserve.

Edit - To make sure there's no confusion, I'm not saying media in general is doing a better job of representing the underrepresented. I'm saying specifically Marvel is trying to be a leader in representing everyone. Unfortunately, black female superheros have been grossly underrepresented throughout comic history.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 12, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

It doesn't seem that the race of the actor playing a character should matter

Well that’s the whole thing, right? Most of the time it doesn’t matter what race a character is. Adding some positive diversity is free, and they still don’t do it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I was under the impression that Misty was tied to Luke's corner of the block. I also can't recall if she got a kickass cyborg arm or not at the end of Defenders.

Point being, this show was really, really light on cameos. We got one avocado and a Cap'n action figure. Sorta sucked for world building purposes come to think of it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Andrigaar posted:

We got one avocado and a Cap'n action figure. Sorta sucked for world building purposes come to think of it.

?????? Avocado?

Finishing out the last episode, random non-spoiler question (it's so minor to be meaningless) : how do you drive all night and a chunk of the day and you're still in Westchester? I could walk to the other side of Westchester in that time.

Also finally saw a shot of my old building in Harlem in episode 12, and Jeri had a bag from Harlem Shake, a super local burger joint! They're still treating Hell's Kitchen like a borough instead of being 10 square blocks but good to see some local color.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

?????? Avocado?

Foggy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How on earth did he get that nickname?

Just finished the second season. It was fine, I guess? Better than the Defenders, but so is stomach cancer?

The show does continue to be on my short list with Justified that make me drink waaaaaaaay too much whiskey.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s a joke from Daredevil season 1. Foggy is drunk and mispronounces lawyer in Spanish (it’s abogado or something) and it’s been referenced once or twice since.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well that’s the whole thing, right? Most of the time it doesn’t matter what race a character is. Adding some positive diversity is free, and they still don’t do it.

Probably because when they do it's ignored. The nice prison guard doesn't count apparently because she might've died. Why does the nameless prostitute count against the show but Nichelle doesn't count for it? If representation is the most important thing then why does a complaint about lack of diversity fail to mention the single most positive black woman in the show?

Woden
May 6, 2006
It was kinda weird that none of the characters from the others shows were in this except Trinity, not even Night Nurse who has been in them all until now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Woden posted:

It was kinda weird that none of the characters from the others shows were in this except Trinity, not even Night Nurse who has been in them all until now.

Trinity doesn't count as a crossover b/c she first showed up in JJS1.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Woden posted:

Foggy and Turk. That's all of them I think, and both were very short cameos.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

That’s fine sometimes. Black panther was better because it avoided so many cameos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finished up the season, I really enjoyed it and thought the pacing was much better than season 1, even if it never hit the heights that season did and in particular felt lacking a concrete villain to hate like The Purple Man.

I dug that most of the characters acted as reflections of Jessica, or at least the surface level view that most people seem to have of Jessica as selfish and self-destructive. Everybody's behavior was incredibly selfish but for the most part they lied to themselves about having more altruistic motives, and it was (deliberately, I'm sure) frustrating to see them try to blame Jessica for THEIR actions. Jessica meanwhile gets to travel through her self-loathing and eventually discover what feel like really important revelations: she is NOT a killer, she does want more from life, and she can't keep closing herself off. The final shot feels hopeful even in spite of all the horrible things that went on around it, and I like that this time it feels like it is Jessica making that step forward to engage with the world instead of having somebody else do it for her like Malcolm did at the end of season 1.

There was some contrived stuff in there for sure, and a real pet peeve of mine is when monstrous characters not only don't get called out on their poo poo but actually poo poo on somebody for being so immature as to not immediately understand and forgive them. So a lot of the Karl/Mom stuff really grated me the wrong way: Karl in particular I hated, he was a gigantic piece of poo poo and it sucked that he never really got called out on his false humility - even his death was a monstrously selfish act that just caused even more problems. But the thing that really pissed me off was Trish getting rewarded with powers, even if that seemed inevitable given her comic origins, that really rubbed me the wrong way.

I like what they're doing with Malcolm but ending up with the dickhead PI really didn't make much sense to me but then neither did most of that subplot. What really surprised me was how much I enjoyed Hogarth's storyline, even if it was largely detached from the main storyline. Carrie-Ann Moss did a great job and ran a pretty intense gamut of emotions across the season.

The shake-up of the relationships makes season 3 an interesting concept, though I wonder what the villain situation would be - I don't think it would be anything as trite as Jessica vs Trish and I'm already kinda dreading what will probably be an inevitable reunion that the latter really doesn't deserve... though if the writing is good enough, I'm sure I'll change my mind.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I haven’t finished yet but is Jessica not an inhuman? Inhuman for me are people like Daisy and Yo-Yo from Agents of SHIELD.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I haven’t finished yet but is Jessica not an inhuman? Inhuman for me are people like Daisy and Yo-Yo from Agents of SHIELD.

Nah, her powers were just a random mad science experiment.

Inhumans are exclusive to AoS. They don't exist in the Netflix shows or the movies.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
And they certainly don't exist as a series of their own.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Inhumans are distantly related to space aliens. Jessica jones, daredevil, and Luke cage all got their powers from crazy science experiments and chemicals.

In the comics, 99% of those crazy science things are an attempt to either create a new captain America or a new hulk.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Malcolm looks distractingly like a TV character. There's something weirdly artificial about the way he looks and dresses, its uncanny.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Heathen posted:

Probably because when they do it's ignored. The nice prison guard doesn't count apparently because she might've died. Why does the nameless prostitute count against the show but Nichelle doesn't count for it? If representation is the most important thing then why does a complaint about lack of diversity fail to mention the single most positive black woman in the show?

This is a very dumb post and I hope that once some time passes you can realize that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Who's Nichelle? Did I have a stroke?

Aphrodite posted:

This is a very dumb post and I hope that once some time passes you can realize that.

trn yr mntr n

Jerusalem posted:

What really surprised me was how much I enjoyed Hogarth's storyline, even if it was largely detached from the main storyline. Carrie-Ann Moss did a great job and ran a pretty intense gamut of emotions across the season.
Carrie-Ann Moss is a treasure but her storyline was a black hole of time wasting, I don't even understand why Hogarth is in this show anymore

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 12, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Billzasilver posted:

Inhumans are distantly related to space aliens. Jessica jones, daredevil, and Luke cage all got their powers from crazy science experiments and chemicals.

In the comics, 99% of those crazy science things are an attempt to either create a new captain America or a new hulk.

And sometimes making the Hulk is an attempt to create a new Captain America.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Soothing Vapors posted:

Carrie-Ann Moss is a treasure but her storyline was a black hole of time wasting, I don't even understand why Hogarth is in this show anymore
I agree with Jerusalem, I thought Hogarth's story was really well done and interesting. Especially since it allowed for the exploration of the theme of people taking advantage of the terminally ill with the added context of a world with "gifted" people where such thing (a magic healer) could actually be a possibility -- or at least a believable possibility.
The conclusion was pretty awesome, albeit hosed up.

Also I like Hogarth's character, in general, along with all her flaws and horrible-horrible mistakes & stupidities. Probably, because of them -- and because I like the actress' performance. Her arc, this season, was also kind of redeeming in comparison with what was going on with her in season one. She was certainly more sympathetic this time around.
I want to like Trish's character too and I understand where the writers' wanted to take her, but that just ended up being them piling up a bunch of terrible choices one after another, and that didn't help.
Same with Malcolm, but to a lesser degree.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'm definitely in agreement that Hogarth's arc this season was really enjoyable, but in large part due to Carrie-Anne Moss absolutely selling it.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
On Hogarth.

Hogarth's arc was easier for me to swallow as one of many concurrent storylines about people's bad choices amid bad circumstances, as well as because she is quickly emerging as one of the most powerful characters in the Netflix universe without anything in the way of physical powers.

The fact that she has exactly ONCE ever done anything for someone else without a self-serving ulterior motive and has flirted with being Lawful Evil makes her a bizarre case of a character sort of only orbiting the main plot while somehow being the most interesting. One thing that stands out is when she received her achievement award at the beginning of the season; it was played by her as this indicator of her strength and proof that women are capable of ascending to these great heights, and she was later talking about how she built everything she has after being brought up in a trailer, but Hogarth has what she has not because she has perseverance, but because she is willing to use and sacrifice literally anyone she has to in order to get what she wants. She's strong, but more importantly, she's ruthless.

But, on the other hand, achieving what she has despite her circumstances has made her so arrogant that she thinks she's invincible, which is why she keeps falling for cons like Kilgrave's and Ryback's - no one could possibly be smarter than she is. And the more of her vulnerabilities people exploit, the more vindictive and dangerous she gets; she just started a body count. And she's so good at what she does - law - that she can make herself untouchable and use her reputation to get just about anything she pleases. She got Ryback out of prison by putting her name in his corner. In the Netflix series, the only comparably powerful entity left is Rand, and whose client are they?

Compare Jessica, who has nothing but her super powers, tenacity, and a genuine desire to do good. She built her own prison out of her circumstances, and she's alienated just about everyone to avoid actually dealing with her problems until, like, just now. She negotiates by badmouthing and brute forcing, the exact opposite of Hogarth. And while Jessica's by nature uncontrollable, Hogarth spent a decent bit of the first few episodes setting up to make her a totally compliant asset by backing Chang and trying to absorb Alias, before she got diagnosed and went into a brief tailspin. In fact, permanently acquiring Jessica's services is likely her endgame in hiring Chang and Malcolm.

That's why I think she would make a great outright antagonist. I don't see it happening, but Jessica is the one thing Hogarth can't control, and Hogarth is the one person Jessica can't beat or snark into submission. The dichotomy is perfect.

This was like a paragraph in my head, what happened.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cran posted:

On Hogarth.

Hogarth's arc was easier for me to swallow as one of many concurrent storylines about people's bad choices amid bad circumstances, as well as because she is quickly emerging as one of the most powerful characters in the Netflix universe without anything in the way of physical powers.

The fact that she has exactly ONCE ever done anything for someone else without a self-serving ulterior motive and has flirted with being Lawful Evil makes her a bizarre case of a character sort of only orbiting the main plot while somehow being the most interesting. One thing that stands out is when she received her achievement award at the beginning of the season; it was played by her as this indicator of her strength and proof that women are capable of ascending to these great heights, and she was later talking about how she built everything she has after being brought up in a trailer, but Hogarth has what she has not because she has perseverance, but because she is willing to use and sacrifice literally anyone she has to in order to get what she wants. She's strong, but more importantly, she's ruthless.

But, on the other hand, achieving what she has despite her circumstances has made her so arrogant that she thinks she's invincible, which is why she keeps falling for cons like Kilgrave's and Ryback's - no one could possibly be smarter than she is. And the more of her vulnerabilities people exploit, the more vindictive and dangerous she gets; she just started a body count. And she's so good at what she does - law - that she can make herself untouchable and use her reputation to get just about anything she pleases. She got Ryback out of prison by putting her name in his corner. In the Netflix series, the only comparably powerful entity left is Rand, and whose client are they?

Compare Jessica, who has nothing but her super powers, tenacity, and a genuine desire to do good. She built her own prison out of her circumstances, and she's alienated just about everyone to avoid actually dealing with her problems until, like, just now. She negotiates by badmouthing and brute forcing, the exact opposite of Hogarth. And while Jessica's by nature uncontrollable, Hogarth spent a decent bit of the first few episodes setting up to make her a totally compliant asset by backing Chang and trying to absorb Alias, before she got diagnosed and went into a brief tailspin. In fact, permanently acquiring Jessica's services is likely her endgame in hiring Chang and Malcolm.

That's why I think she would make a great outright antagonist. I don't see it happening, but Jessica is the one thing Hogarth can't control, and Hogarth is the one person Jessica can't beat or snark into submission. The dichotomy is perfect.

This was like a paragraph in my head, what happened.

IIRC in season 1 her decision to represent victims of enchanced/enchanced themselves didn't have any ulterior motives beyond her job, trying to do something after being a (deserved due to selfishness and putting others in danger) victim of an enhanced and knowing that this poo poo is real.

I liked season 2 overall, I really liked Trish ruining every relationship she had except for the worst one for her and being indirectly responsible for the deaths of at least 3 people due to her own selfishness and disregard for anything other than her goals, she is gonna be an awesome villain.

This series is really kneecapped by it being a Marvel show that can't use the MCU in any capacity since Jessica keeps saying she is the only person who can handle her mother despite the fact that Luke Cage is at least twice as strong as her and a goddamned cab ride away. The two of them working together could have subdued MightyMom with no bloodshed and minimal, but extensive, property damage. Even when poo poo hit the fan, all they had to do was have someone have the idea only to call and find out he's in another state at the moment or some poo poo.

I'd put this season on par with Luke Cage S1 in that there are a lot of pacing issues, but it's nowhere near as bad as "8 episodes stretched to 13" like JJ season 1. Still, its way better than the Defenders or Iron Fist, but without Killgrave the season just never hit the highs of season one despite being a more consistent ride.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

IIRC in season 1 her decision to represent victims of enchanced/enchanced themselves didn't have any ulterior motives beyond her job, trying to do something after being a (deserved due to selfishness and putting others in danger) victim of an enhanced and knowing that this poo poo is real.

I liked season 2 overall, I really liked Trish ruining every relationship she had except for the worst one for her and being indirectly responsible for the deaths of at least 3 people due to her own selfishness and disregard for anything other than her goals, she is gonna be an awesome villain.

This series is really kneecapped by it being a Marvel show that can't use the MCU in any capacity since Jessica keeps saying she is the only person who can handle her mother despite the fact that Luke Cage is at least twice as strong as her and a goddamned cab ride away. The two of them working together could have subdued MightyMom with no bloodshed and minimal, but extensive, property damage. Even when poo poo hit the fan, all they had to do was have someone have the idea only to call and find out he's in another state at the moment or some poo poo.

I'd put this season on par with Luke Cage S1 in that there are a lot of pacing issues, but it's nowhere near as bad as "8 episodes stretched to 13" like JJ season 1. Still, its way better than the Defenders or Iron Fist, but without Killgrave the season just never hit the highs of season one despite being a more consistent ride.

It’s consistent with her character to not want to involve anyone else and to believe that taking on a burden personally is the most ethical choice. It’s like when she instantly disregarded the possibility of getting daredevil to help at the end of season one, even before learning who he was or what he could do. She also has personal reasons for not wanting to contact Luke Cage, in that it would be emotionally painful, probably.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I had episode 1 of season 2 of JJ on while I was gaming and I think the only parts I remember with any clarity is the pizza dude licking his hand before putting it down the front of the his partners night gown at the start. Which I thought was kind of hilarious coming from a Marvel anything.

Then there was some dude slamming Jones in then stall of a washroom after telling her she has a nice rear end.

Then there was some kind of Lesbian group sex going on with Hogarth?

As a dual race cis male I clearly have no idea what Jessica Jones the Netflix series is anymore.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, between JJ Season 1 & Luke Cage Season 1, Reva was pretty well shown to have been working for the "bad guys" (even if Luke wasn't ready to believe it of her yet, or didn't want to think that badly of her even if it is true).

Season 2 is at least 50% less-good than Season 1 just because Luke Cage isn't around.

As for Misty, I'm not 100% sure when this season happens relative to Defenders. If this doesn't happen after Defenders Season 1, then it's probably happening at the same time as Luke Cage Season 1.

I do agree that the writing needs some help when it comes to making sure that every PoC woman that shows up isn't just a prop for the white women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This season is meant to be 6 months to a year after Defenders.