Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

hiddenriverninja posted:

I would argue that a health regen build with the hazak gear is Velveeta.

Fake cheese and not actually very good.

Extremely disappointing. You think all the skills complement each other but they don’t. The speed healing only works on the red portion of your health bar and doesn’t boost the black portion that the set bonus heals. That apparently gets boosted by recovery up, not recovery speed. Tried that but didn’t seem like that great of a gain. The big deal is the peak performance, which you can get elsewhere, and using the set bonus to keep peak performance up is fussy — it’ll turn it back on in a couple seconds if you took some chip damage but if you eat a big hit you’re probably going to have to heal anyway.

I just started doing this and it’s what I dreamed Vaal set would be:

Rathalos hat and chest; Nerg gloves, skirt, and legs. Peak performance charm

Xeno SnS

Slotted protective polish on the skirt, weakness exploit on the legs, I think another maximum might on the sword (need to get another peak performance gem). Couple of medicine and dragon attack jewels. I don’t know if the medicine is really necessary.

You get critical element from the rathalos set, two levels of agitator, 4 attack, maximum might, weakness exploit, peak performance and healing while you attack. First fight I did with it (never used SnS before so pretty much just button mashing) was the optional quest for Teostra. 12 minutes, used no flash pods, drank potions twice and one of them was just to top off while he was exploding. It’s amazing and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Anyone know what kind of bonus the kirin and legiana sets give? Is it improved odds for rewards or more rewards?

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Magus42 posted:

Or people could pay attention, realize the intent of Expeditions is gathering, and move on. Why do you think the game gives you an optional quest for every monster in the game? It's so you can farm them if you don't have an Investigation, and it still works better than hunting in an Expedition.

It isn't that you can't hunt in Expeditions, you just have to be aware of the consequences if you're too slow. It's really not that hard of a concept.

The initial quest for elders recess requires you to be in an expedition, I figured "hey, might as well take some of these guys down if I'm tasked with seeing them" uragaan got away, dodogama nearly did.

It doesn't make sense to impose that time limit on someone in the game mode mandated by the first quest in an area.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That quest specifies that you scout the area though, not go off crusading in the Byzantine empire & smacking the poo poo out of every poor monster you see.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

tacosupreme posted:

The initial quest for elders recess requires you to be in an expedition, I figured "hey, might as well take some of these guys down if I'm tasked with seeing them" uragaan got away, dodogama nearly did.

It doesn't make sense to impose that time limit on someone in the game mode mandated by the first quest in an area.

The only change I'd make to expeditions is to make the "monster will leave the area soon" message appear earlier.

But the timer is a good thing because I guarantee without it the exact same people would be in here complaining about how uragaan took 3 hours to go down.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 12, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm only HR4 and I managed to get the Barroth giant crown on my 4th or so hunt. :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hiddenriverninja posted:

I would argue that a health regen build with the hazak gear is Velveeta.

Nah never needing potions owns and lets me continue the poke poke poke hop endlessly. Hazak setup is great.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Magus42 posted:

Fitness Charm III is a permanent fixture on my bow builds. I used to add the Kadachi helm to add 2 more points, but I've started running Bazel helm/waist (+1 deco) to have maxed Earplugs.

Stamina Surge is another one I like; once you do drain the gauge, it refills quite a bit faster. I often have 2 points in that from the Nerg chest.

Marathon Runner is useless, it only reduces the stamina use of holding a normal charge, which you shouldn't be doing all that much. Similarly, Focus seemed pretty useless, as it only seemed to speed up that charge, not others like the DP wind-up. Or if it did, I couldn't notice enough of a difference that I would care.

Gloves are a bit freeform; Teostra gloves give 2 in weakness exploit, but with how bow elements are balanced out, it doesn't feel like the greatest gain, so sometimes I run the Hazak gloves mostly for the 3 decoration slots, giving me plenty of room to buff resists or elemental damage.

Diablos Nero or Lavasioth legs will get you normal or spread/power shots if you want it, but I can't bring myself to give up Stun Resist 3, so I still run Barroth beta legs with 2 Steadfast decorations in them :) I could fill the gloves with 3 of those, but then I lose out on the flexibility.

It's not the highest damage build, but I barely ever cart.

I have some crit element setups for monsters where I don't feel the need for Earplugs, but I kind of like the safe setup better.

This is great advice and what I was looking for, thanks! Also feeling good that I can still use some of my Bazel Beta gear. Love those earplugs.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Anyone know what kind of bonus the kirin and legiana sets give? Is it improved odds for rewards or more rewards?

I used the Legiana set bonus briefly and i don't recall it giving extra rewards. I assumed it ups the quality of the reward.

To the person going 40+ hunts without a Nergigante Horn+: first, my sympathy. Are you being sure to do Investigations? The Horns are carves, so they have a decent chance of showing up in the Silver/Gold reward boxes in Investigations - I got the 2 I needed from Silver boxes. No need to break Nergigante's face unlike Black Diablos where the Spiral Horn isn't a carve or reward and you have to break her horns to get them.

RNG was good to me today. Got at least one of the horns for Diablos Tyrannis II every investigation and I was paired with good players who apparently hated either the sight of horns on monsters or their having faces.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is the Encroaching Anjinoth considered a wall, because goddamn that was a half hour hellscape of dodging and shooting with my bow. I hated when there was a chance he could cancel into the fire breath that kills you in one hit.

Im at HR 5 and now im just levelling up all the weapons and trying them out. I'm starting to like the Great sword alot, It's nice staggering all these monsters. Haven't tried on the Anjinoth yet, I think he'll pulverize the poo poo out of me.

Also, any advice on Armor Sphere+ amd upgrading early gear? I've been getting a whole bunch of them through the bounties, I feel like im going to need these when i get to the last tier of armor development.

Use all the armor spheres you want. You'll get better armor spheres as you progress and your early low rank spheres won't matter much at all when you need to upgrade high rank equipment, and by then you'll be getting better spheres anyway.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It's more rewards. Keep in mind that it's not guaranteed, though.

I mix the Kirin and Legiana bonuses for my farming set, and it still works out for a nice bonus a good amount of the time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Once you beat Nerg in the story you unlock a new tier of armor, and once you beat the game you unlock another tier of armor levels.

After that you can just very nearly straight face tank his body slam assuming you eat.

E: I did this last night a bunch being lazy, but I forgot I was wearing two points of HP+. So at 180 HP you can eat them all day, but no promises at 150.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 12, 2018

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cinnamon Bear posted:

This is great advice and what I was looking for, thanks! Also feeling good that I can still use some of my Bazel Beta gear. Love those earplugs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6d0VhhsvY

To add on to that earlier, here is a solid video by Phemeto, who is really really good with the Bow. It's worth checking out all of his vids. It's a crit heavy, max DPS kind of build. The cornerstone is using the Azure Rath Helm and reg Rath armor to get the two piece crit element bonus. Combined with weakness exploit and crit boost, you can output some crazy damage.

You only have 3 Constitution though, and no stamina surge. Like the previous poster said, it's a good idea to get 5 Constitution and a couple points in Stamina Surge. A solid build that will let you dash around like a madman. Until you can stock up on Dash Juices. Good sources are the welder, tailriders, and setting the Argosy to items only.

Each level of Constitution reduces stamina consumption at 10%. Stamina reduction maxes out at 50%, anything beyond that is useless. Dash juice reduces stamina consumption by 25%. So a level 3 Fitness Charm (30%) and a Dash Juice (25%) will get you just over the 50% max reduction.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, ugh, these 6* quests. None of them are hard, but I also don't need anything from them so I just gotta burn through them for the voucher. Maybe I'll see which monsters I haven't fully researched yet.

The good news is that two of the events this week are 6* and both worth doing a few times.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, ugh, these 6* quests. None of them are hard, but I also don't need anything from them so I just gotta burn through them for the voucher. Maybe I'll see which monsters I haven't fully researched yet.

Put on bandit mantle and run the event quest with Dodo/Giros/Jagras five times in a row. It'll take a half hour, you'll make 100k and might luck into a decent gem.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

They really need to fix the loving servers for this game. It's constantly disconnecting me partway through a hunt leaving me having to solo a monster with mp health. If I wanted to play single player I wouldn't have joined a quest

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I just did a bunch of Barroth investigations for the 6* weekly bounty because I am perpetually in need of wyvern gems.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Throw those good Switch Axe armor skills at me! Gonna try to get into it today. Any specific ones besides the ol' standbys of Attack Up, Weakness Exploit, etc?

Mr Snips posted:

They really need to fix the loving servers for this game. It's constantly disconnecting me partway through a hunt leaving me having to solo a monster with mp health. If I wanted to play single player I wouldn't have joined a quest

Are you on WiFi, by chance? The WNIC in the PS4 is total garbage. I think I've been disconnected mid-hunt exactly once in over 300 hours, and I suspect it was the other person in my party, not me. (Ironically, that was me hosting the double tempered bagel quest, which I actually managed to get done with something like 45 seconds to spare.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 12, 2018

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah who the hell decided that all tier 6 and 7 armor upgrades needed gems when the tier 8 only requires some trivial Elder Bones.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

enojy posted:

Throw those good Switch Axe armor skills at me! Gonna try to get into it today. Any specific ones besides the ol' standbys of Attack Up, Weakness Exploit, etc?

Evade Window and Evade Extender are really cool on switch axe because they make it a lot easier to move around when you're in sword mode. If you get really good at using the transform attacks for positioning you can do without them, but personally I really like super-long hops with Evade Extender.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I have something approaching my own build now and I immediately regret making it. Decided to use my machine gun setup with the Anjanath HBG and, uh...okay so that thing has recoil that can make you miss at point blank range in that mode. Am I looking to equip Recoil or Deviation suppression to fix that? Because I'm not sure what the difference is there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

Evade Window and Evade Extender are really cool on switch axe because they make it a lot easier to move around when you're in sword mode. If you get really good at using the transform attacks for positioning you can do without them, but personally I really like super-long hops with Evade Extender.

Good to know...I've been sucking with Switch Axe for a while, and the lack of mobility might be contributing to that.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Flytrap posted:

I have something approaching my own build now and I immediately regret making it. Decided to use my machine gun setup with the Anjanath HBG and, uh...okay so that thing has recoil that can make you miss at point blank range in that mode. Am I looking to equip Recoil or Deviation suppression to fix that? Because I'm not sure what the difference is there.

Deviation governs the reticle movement (what you are experiencing). Recoil reduces the animation lock after firing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Deviation governs the reticle movement (what you are experiencing). Recoil reduces the animation lock after firing.

Thank you.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

God I'm glad I'm not the only one. For anyone that needs convincing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGAUCj-c9og
Hmm... That's a classic song, but this is more like it:black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1RoRSD-Pvw

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I eagerly await part II of this post where you make him your bitch

Happens every other page of this thread, it's the magic of monster hunter

It amuses me thinking back to 2nd G when people would bitch about Yian Kut-Ku randomly, get over it within a page, and then later bitch to no end about the Tigrex wall. Eventually saying bitching on the internet solved their issue again.

Tigrex was a real wall. You kids have no idea.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nah never needing potions owns and lets me continue the poke poke poke hop endlessly. Hazak setup is great.

oh yeah i love it and use it when i need to farm tempered elders

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Kushala Daora is an elder

The HR50+ elder tempered dragons are Kushala Daora, Teostra, Nergigante, Val Hazaak and Kirin.

Judging by the conversation so far, it looks like tempered threat 2 (HR30-49) and tempered threat 3 (HR50+) investigations both have a chance to reward weapon streamstones with the latter having a notably higher rate.

For the sake of clarity I am referring to weapon streamstones, there are also ordinary non-weapon streamstones that are used for first wyverian ritual decoration gambling and upgrades, each tier of tempered threat level has their own. You get non-weapon streamstones virtually every single tempered hunt, it's the weapon-specific streamstones that are rare.

Looking at this I am reminded that Kush's stylized avatar really looks nothing like him.

This was my first MH but I can say that with some familiarity with every monster in the game I could reliably match everyone to their avatar except for Kushala (except by process of elimination)

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

tacosupreme posted:

Yes it does, but it also doesn't require you to kill any of them, simply see them.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I came up with a pretty fun Switch Axe build recently based of the gems I had sitting around.

Axe of Demons

Master's Charm III
Dragonking's Eyepatch
Damascus Chest Beta
Bazel Waist Beta
Kushala Legs Beta
Kaiser Arms Beta

Earplugs Gem x3
Grinder Gem x2
Jumping Gem
Elementless Gem
Expert Gem x2

All in all I had Earplugs 5, Weakness Exploit 3, Critical Eye 5, Evade Extender 3, Speed Sharpening 2 and Focus 2. Obviously gem dependent, but it was fashionable and fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This game is funny, because after a while you stop getting excited about horns and start getting excited about gems.

Then you stop getting excited about gems and start getting excited about high-reward Threat Level 2 investigations on easy monsters. Like, "Oh heck yea! Four reward, 15 minute Legiana!"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've been working on switch axe builds too and I gotta say, I'm getting kind of bored of being shackled to evade window & extender for loadouts. Wonder if I should just ween myself off of them, lest I begin to resent their absence.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It amuses me thinking back to 2nd G when people would bitch about Yian Kut-Ku randomly, get over it within a page, and then later bitch to no end about the Tigrex wall. Eventually saying bitching on the internet solved their issue again.

Tigrex was a real wall. You kids have no idea.

I can't remember if I hated Tigrex or just his hitboxes, but yea, gently caress Tigrex.

If they bring him back at any point, I just hope they fix his bullshit "my undercarriage is made of ice you see so I can just laterally slide right the gently caress through you gently caress laws of momentum" attack. And his hitboxes, obviously.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Huxley posted:

This game is funny, because after a while you stop getting excited about horns and start getting excited about gems.

Then you stop getting excited about gems and start getting excited about high-reward Threat Level 2 investigations on easy monsters. Like, "Oh heck yea! Four reward, 15 minute Legiana!"

This is so true. I recently got a 4 reward and 3 reward tempered Rathalos, in total worth 27 decos. At 6 minutes per clear it was the easiest deco farming I'm had yet.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I complained about Rathalos and Nergigante in this very thread but I wasn't prepared for the constant Bazelgeuse huntbombing cancer.

As much as it looks funny the first few hunts, it doesn't really feel like the pinnacle of game design.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Kawabata posted:

I complained about Rathalos and Nergigante in this very thread but I wasn't prepared for the constant Bazelgeuse huntbombing cancer.

As much as it looks funny the first few hunts, it doesn't really feel like the pinnacle of game design.

Learn to let him help you murder targets then dung bomb him.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

enojy posted:

I can't remember if I hated Tigrex or just his hitboxes, but yea, gently caress Tigrex.

If they bring him back at any point, I just hope they fix his bullshit "my undercarriage is made of ice you see so I can just laterally slide right the gently caress through you gently caress laws of momentum" attack. And his hitboxes, obviously.

My favorite monster in all of Monster Hunter is Nargacuga. I'm so sad that his only appearance has been in Unite/2nd G.

( I bought Generations, have it digitally on my 3DS and hated it. It does not exist, and therefore I can't even enjoy the first sub-species of the glorious beastie )

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Narga was in 3rd Gen too. Port 3rd/3G expansions.

3U even had Lucent Nargacuga. A subspecies that turned invisible as it jumped around you and shot poisonous spikes from it's tail, making his tail slams super hard to avoid. And those tail slams would take off most of your health

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So is Royal Burst the best L just because it's the only one with level 4 shelling? Does it make that much of a difference against level 3 shelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brine
Aug 3, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So is Royal Burst the best L just because it's the only one with level 4 shelling? Does it make that much of a difference against level 3 shelling?

The only one with level 4 normal shelling, plus poison is generally pretty useful. Unless someone else is running royal burst too, I rarely see other hunters using poison weapons in MP.