Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kerosene19 posted:

Someone forgot to check the gear pins, that’s a paddlin’.

OK EVERYBODY TO THE BACK OF THE PLANE

ON THREE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not a good couple of weeks for planes in Iran.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-11/in-a-turbulent-tehran-it-s-hard-to-buy-a-home-at-any-price

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, they can't find a nice hangar to live in in downtown Tehran.

Also a Turkish bizjet crashed, killing all onboard, RIP.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-turkey-airplane/eleven-people-killed-in-turkish-plane-crash-in-iran-agency-idUSKCN1GN0MH

Another plane crashed in Thailand, two dead and two injured.
https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/plane-crashes-paklok-phuket

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/972999850521489408?s=19

Five dead, everybody but the pilot. It looked so benign :/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aaaand that's why you practice water ditching. That was 100% survivable for everyone with a week of practice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
How do you die from something that looks so gentle :ohdear:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The news link said:

quote:

But after FDNY and NYPD harbor and aviation units descended on the crash site, divers discovered the five passengers still strapped into their harnesses inside the submerged helicopter.

Definitely survivable for everyone, with easier to unbuckle harnesses and/or better safety briefing.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

CommieGIR posted:

Drowning. The helicopter dunker is a thing for a reason.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

You let go of the harness release on impact, the turbine and gearbox weight flips the airframe, you lose orientation and drown in your harness.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Plus a dunk in water that cold, the body takes an involuntary gasp of air as reflex, except theres no air, just water, so you drown.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
No one is going to take a week of training before using a helicopter taxi.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

drgitlin posted:

No one is going to take a week of training before using a helicopter taxi.

Lawyers of the estates of the dead, to that idea: "loooool"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not an auspicious week. Another crash, this time in Nepal. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nepal-crash/bangladeshi-plane-crashes-in-nepal-killing-at-least-50-idUSKCN1GO0WP

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

vessbot posted:

Lawyers of the estates of the dead, to that idea: "loooool"

The Nice-Monaco air taxi has gone into the sea more than once and lawyers haven’t mandated a week of training as a prerequisite before buying a ticket for it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Unrestricted access to unsafe air transport is an excellent means of wealth redistribution.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

drgitlin posted:

The Nice-Monaco air taxi has gone into the sea more than once and lawyers haven’t mandated a week of training as a prerequisite before buying a ticket for it.
This is America buddy :911:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

drgitlin posted:

I have no idea about the legal system in France or weird renaissance city-states, but in the US you can never underestimate the absurdities into which lawyers can descend in establishing your responsibilities after the fact. There was a case where two airplanes had a mid air, and the court found liable a third airplane that was getting help from tower about a landing gear problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mobby_6kl posted:

This is America buddy :911:

The loving military gets a day of it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Ola posted:

Definitely survivable for everyone, with easier to unbuckle harnesses and/or better safety briefing.

The harness pictures that are going around look terrifying, like it'd take someone a good minute plus under normal conditions to unbuckle. Nobody without egress training should be wearing something like that over water.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sanchez posted:

The harness pictures that are going around look terrifying, like it'd take someone a good minute plus under normal conditions to unbuckle. Nobody without egress training should be wearing something like that over water.

Without having seen the pictures, I can still say with near-certainty that it’s a four point harness with a single twist release on the chest. All you have to do is twist, three of the four straps release from the center buckle, and you are out. It’s a sub-one-second operation.

Either the tour operator failed to properly brief the pax on how the harnesses worked, or they froze up and panicked. Possibly both.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Before I flew over water on a military helicopter flight, we got maybe a five minute briefing and had to twist and unlock our harness at least once to prove we could do it. We had already proven we knew how to ditch gear and swim in uniform and boots, but we hadn’t done any helicopter dunk training as simple passengers. Air crew are obviously different.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I’ve been in three helicopters, and each one was a terrifying experience. It’s just an unnatural way to fly.

And none of them involved a safety briefing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

drgitlin posted:

And none of them involved a safety briefing.

Illegal as gently caress, at least according to Canadian law, and I assume it's an ICAO standardized thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

Illegal as gently caress, at least according to Canadian law, and I assume it's an ICAO standardized thing.

Only if he was paying for the flight.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

Without having seen the pictures, I can still say with near-certainty that it’s a four point harness with a single twist release on the chest. All you have to do is twist, three of the four straps release from the center buckle, and you are out. It’s a sub-one-second operation.

Huh, that's what I was imagining as well, but apparently not:

Bag strap eyed in fatal chopper crash

quote:

FlyNYON, a New Jersey company that runs the tours and chartered the helicopters, also touts its safety online.

“We are honored to be recognized by the Eastern Region Helicopter Council (ERHC) for our unwavering commitment to Ground and Flight Safety,” according to the site.

The company cites its “proprietary 8 point Safety Harness System.”

“We go beyond industry safety standards for each person on each and every flight. Our customer experience professionals outfit passengers with safety equipment according to our SHS guidelines,” according to the site.

“The Pilot in Command then performs a final review before takeoff,” according to FlyNYON, which said it received the 2017 Safety Award.

That sounds like a lot of points, but I still can't imagine it not having some sort of quick-release function.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MrYenko posted:

Either the tour operator failed to properly brief the pax on how the harnesses worked, or they froze up and panicked. Possibly both.

They were flying with the door off/open with a photographer so they were wearing safety harnesses not the standard seatbelts.

Most of the time I’ve seen those harnesses used they were solid attached with a carabiner attached underneath the rear seats to one of the seatbelt hard points. No way you can undo that yourself without somehow climbing out of the harness on your body.

Also why we don’t allow anymore people then required for photo flights/filming. If it was truly a chartered photo flight there’s zero reason for the machine to be completely full.

One report I saw said that someone’s bag pulled the emergency fuel cutoff lever that’s between the front seats. Low altitude, low airspeed for taking pictures the pilot barely had enough time to pop the floats before it hit the ground.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Huh, that's what I was imagining as well, but apparently not:

Bag strap eyed in fatal chopper crash

That sounds like a lot of points, but I still can't imagine it not having some sort of quick-release function.

That 8 point harness quote is from a competing helicopter company not Liberty, trying to latch on some advertising to the tragedy. I’ve never seen an Astar with more then a 3 point in the rear (if not a 2 point) and 4 point for the pilot/copilot up front.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

PT6A posted:

One was at Le Mans, one was the Nice-Monaco air taxi, and one was from Manhattan to Lime Rock Park in CT. Actually it was four, because we came back from Lime Rock by chopper as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ola posted:

Only if he was paying for the flight.

Hmm, apparently it's different between countries. Canada requires a basic safety briefing prior to all flights (CARS 602.89). Commercial operators have additional requirements, such as providing a safety features card.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PT6A posted:

Hmm, apparently it's different between countries. Canada requires a basic safety briefing prior to all flights (CARS 602.89). Commercial operators have additional requirements, such as providing a safety features card.

I don't know the details, but I know a Spanish teacher that used to work on the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. She said she had to qualify to ride the helicopters by escaping a simulated helicopter flooding scenario every year.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ulmont posted:

I don't know the details, but I know a Spanish teacher that used to work on the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. She said she had to qualify to ride the helicopters by escaping a simulated helicopter flooding scenario every year.

Seems sensible, given the entire flight is going to be over water, to a remote rig, and likely during inclement weather. An air taxi over land within autorotation distance from shore (barring chartered filming requests, like low altitude out over the water) shouldn't need any additional overwater safety procedures.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

ulmont posted:

In Canada it's a 5 day course with a refresher every three years but that also includes boarding life rafts, hueba training, cold water survival, etc
It's amazingly disorienting being flipped upside down strapped in to your seat, even knowing it was coming I still almost needed a diver to help me out the first time (couldn't knock out the window).

Every time I fly commercial over the ocean now I have to laugh when they mention using your seat cushion as a flotation device like you're not 100% screwed if you go down in the north atlantic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In the North Sea, everyone has to do a safety course including a helicopter dunk every four years. A lot of people dislike it, but it seems very benign compared to the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SZcLjZWEGE

Niven posted:

Every time I fly commercial over the ocean now I have to laugh when they mention using your seat cushion as a flotation device like you're not 100% screwed if you go down in the north atlantic.

"Please retain the toothpicks from your martini olives, as they may be used for fighting polar bears and hunting seals."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ola posted:

"Please retain the toothpicks from your martini olives, as they may be used for fighting polar bears and hunting seals."

More so sharks, which will be drawn not only to the presence of blood that always accompanies even the gentlest of "water landings," but can locate rapidly diminishing body heat just as quickly.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Ola posted:

In the North Sea, everyone has to do a safety course including a helicopter dunk every four years. A lot of people dislike it, but it seems very benign compared to the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SZcLjZWEGE

That is very benign. The one we have to do every 3 years for the army requires you to wear blackout goggles, more than half the runs are no air, and the cockpit rolls upside down while sinking with no pause at the surface of the water. It's not hard, but it's a lot less comfortable than that looks.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This guy rides in helicopters for a living to take photos

https://twitter.com/Lensaloft/status/973392082755710976

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Niven posted:

In Canada it's a 5 day course with a refresher every three years but that also includes boarding life rafts, hueba training, cold water survival, etc
It's amazingly disorienting being flipped upside down strapped in to your seat, even knowing it was coming I still almost needed a diver to help me out the first time (couldn't knock out the window).

Presumably it'd just be long enough to be pulled into the rafts. I'm sure the survival time is increased from single digit to double digit minutes at least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In YOSPOS we were just talking about small planes ditching into the water and it turns out that, as verified by NTSB reports, you have a 90%+ chance of surviving such an incident. In many cases it's even safer to land in the water than to attempt to ditch on land.

Helicopters are just fuckin dumb is what they are

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
737-20 shorthaul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

drunkill posted:

737-20 shorthaul

If you lost an engine on takeoff, you'd spin like a top!