Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You could increase the guaranteed range to D:12 or something also, so you can still get whoever but it's more of a trade-off. I think it might end up cool.

I actually like this a lot.

That's a much more interesting trade-off than "no, okawaru didn't spawn at all this run, you don't get to play god gift roulette this run, now restart" or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, and for things that aren't just disagreeing with other people's ideas:

-I think hellcrawl gave Mak a hellfire ability, which is cool and flavorful. Makes demonic worshipper non-demon enemies who can use hellfire make more sense, too.
-If "damage of a random element" is no longer a mak thing, being replaced by hellfire, it could be something that Veh does instead, both to make Veh more of an active god and also because Veh already gifts you random spells, so casting random spells fits. Since Veh has no active abilities at all, I think it would make sense for this to be an activated buff connected to spells.
So for example, it could be something like "Chaotic Destruction". High piety cost. When active, whenever you cast a spell, Veh also casts another random damaging spell of a lower level(but not a ton lower) than the one you cast at a random enemy in range. So if you cast bolt of fire, maybe veh would cast stone arrow at a nearby enemy. If you cast chain lightning, Veh could cast iron shot at something. etc.
It could also be a passive chance to do something like this tied to piety instead of an active, but I'd be less interested.

No idea what degree of spellpower/duration/cost/relative level of spell this would need to be remotely balanced, but it'd be cool. I always tend to think anything that lets you get more effects out of a single action, or "chain reaction" things are fun.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 11, 2018

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
As a relative newbie, I really don't like the idea of changing the altar spawns—I definitely see the appeal for players who have tried a lot of different things, but when you're just trying to finally win with one combination, it really helps to know you'll be able to use your chosen god. It's hard enough winning with a guaranteed god! I really like the guaranteed faded altar idea, which gives more randomness and challenge to whoever wants it without making it considerably harder to those who don't.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah how about just remove temple (or make it have some non-guarantee chance to happen) and only guarantee that all altars appear somewhere up to D:12 (would it be too crazy if non-Jiy altars could end up in Lair?)

If it'd nerf some of the newb gods too much then maybe you can get a gentle piety bonus for altars that are really deep down.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Teal posted:

If it'd nerf some of the newb gods too much then maybe you can get a gentle piety bonus for altars that are really deep down.

"Your perseverance has been rewarded"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Or maybe it gives all those random zealot classes a reason to exist.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gozag zealot called the merchant that starts w 500 gold, a robe, a dagger, 0 skills, and a bodyguard who's liable to die to something by d:4

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Variety is the spice of life dear goons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That Vehumet idea is cool but I don't think he needs a buff and his core elements are all so fun I wouldn't want to nerf any to fit something new in

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheetah7071 posted:

That Vehumet idea is cool but I don't think he needs a buff and his core elements are all so fun I wouldn't want to nerf any to fit something new in

Turning on the Extra Assblast could just (temporarily, as long as you have it turned on) remove the help she provides with casting your own spells (maybe up to being inverted and making the base cast HARDER once you reach too high spellower?).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like Vehumet, what they give you is a bit different in each game and they're extremely weak so they don't define your character too much.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Teal posted:

Turning on the Extra Assblast could just (temporarily, as long as you have it turned on) remove the help she provides with casting your own spells (maybe up to being inverted and making the base cast HARDER once you reach too high spellower?).

I mean, adding literally any active ability is a buff, no matter how many caveats you add, because you don't have to activate it if it wouldn't help you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My opinion wrt caster gods is that I'm fine with any of them besides Kiku recieving a buff, because as I said earlier right now no spell melee character with strong god is so powerful and simple in comparison to spellcasters.
Even with a strong buff, Veh will be quite a bit weaker than Trog. And Sif is just nowhere near. I don't have any thematic buff ideas for Sif but I feel they could really use one.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If we're looking for a thematic buff for sif, I like the idea of an active that completely eliminates spell failure for a while (and maybe also provides an enhancer?). So go ham with glaciate in the midgame at the cost of piety

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If we're looking for a thematic buff for sif, I like the idea of an active that completely eliminates spell failure for a while (and maybe also provides an enhancer?). So go ham with glaciate in the midgame at the cost of piety

If you do that you might get to see the 0 power Tornado, it's great! (Tornado's radius depends on power, I never knew that until trying to use test it with something in wizmode since in practice when you can cast Tornado it will be strong).

Removing Temple for 100% overflow altars is fine for GCSS. Multiple people have suggested it for base crawl, the reason it's not in is Temple is a useful milestone for new players.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would miss some of the temple vaults (river and forest is pretty) and would hope they get moved over somehow if we were to remove it.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
It'd be neat if there was a way to make that optional. Some kind of difficulty modifiers you can flip on/off before starting a character, so newbies can still count on a Temple and more experienced players can play divine roulette for bragging rights.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
To return to an earlier thing, if demigods are reflavored I would rather they be "Homunculus" or something like that instead of golem or construct because I'd rather they not overlap with gargoyles in flavor/resists. Can be artificial humanlike creatures rejected by the gods due to their unnatural creation by a wizard or whatever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mostly only said 'construct' because i was phoneposting at work and didn't have a lot of time so i put the first thing to come to mind, but mainly the idea was just an artificially made whatsit that is disconnected from the gods because none of them want anything to do with it

like 90% of the reason people keep bringing up suggestions for demigod is the fact that it's literally named demigod. typically people wouldn't expect something with that name to be just entirely divorced from the worship system in the game , which is why i'm suggesting to just reflavor the actual species as a homunculus or whatever the hell and leave it pretty much entirely intact as it is barring whatever small tweaks people agree on. let the demigod name maybe get used for something cool and interesting for gooncrawl because people very openly have ideas for it.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Since I am bad at DCSS and restart constantly (though I just discovered gooncrawl and my overall game is better), I'm picking my character pretty often. Is there a reason in webtiles why I can't use numpad to select these things? Signed, Poor Player :(

e: I do know about Tab, and I guess it's all kinda moot since I could hit the corresponding letter. Maybe it's just academic at this point.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 11, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

spider wisdom posted:

Since I am bad at DCSS and restart constantly (though I just discovered gooncrawl and my overall game is better), I'm picking my character pretty often. Is there a reason in webtiles why I can't use numpad to select these things? Signed, Poor Player :(

I know this isn't what you've been asking about but "banging my head against the wall early game" tip: Tab key in main menu starts a game with the same build you used last time.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

gently caress yeah, got my first victory! Even though it was the easiest class (MiBe), it still feels good. I went a long way from not knowing what distortion was to actually winning.

The most notable thing I recall is being teleported in Swamp 4, right after I first got in, straight into the room right before the rune, surrounded by a million monsters. Read a teleport scroll and was teleported into the rune's room, right beside a 27 headed hydra, what the gently caress. Decided I was dead and thought "let's see how many I can kill before I die", summoned a couple of bros and we took on everything, it was glorious.

Other than that, had a couple of close calls against Sojobo in Depths and in a Wizard's laboratory in the Elven Halls.

Looking forward to dying uncontrollably with other classes now.

e: just figured out how to post my logs in case anyone's curious: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/SmokeMax/morgue-SmokeMax-20180311-220153.txt

Smoke_Max fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 12, 2018

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Fedhas should give you access to tree and fungus form.

On demand fungus form early would be really strong and on demand treeform would be cool for like tomb and poo poo if you can cancel it whenever you want.

And oklob and thorn hunter form.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 11, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fedhas giving you forms would be a lot cooler than "god of stationary allies that you kite enemies to".

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yeah, there's not really a god that does on-demand polymorphs and that would definitely be cooler than current Fedhas.

Speaking of which, is there something I can add to my options that turns off autobutcher if I worship Fedhas, because I continuously forget to rot corpses until it's too late and it drives me crazy.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
rebrand fedhas' abilities as 'becoming one with nature' and just add the forms, don't take away the stationary allies. She's pretty boring as is, make her really OP instead.

Also under fedhas you can wield giant clubs and throw large rocks while in treeform.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fedhas is already really really strong, just also boring. And there's already so many ally gods in crawl.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
I'm brainstorming some ideas for new brands in my head.

1) flame nova, frost nova, lightning nova, venom nova

On a successful hit, flame nova and frost nova make a 3x3 fire/ice explosion for 25% of the dealt damage (or how much HP the enemy had if they died from that hit, so you can't get super explosions from overkill stabs) centered on the hit opponent. Checks AC (unlike flaming/freezing which doesn't check AC a second time). Flame nova weapons cauterize hydra heads. Activates on cleaves, ripostes and Wu Jian martial arts attacks. Makes noise.

Lightning nova is like electrocution (including the AC piercing), except in a 3x3 explosion, with the same % chance of occurring, but lower damage.

Venom nova is like venom, except in a 3x3 explosion, with the same poison potency, but a % chance of occurring.

Things to figure out:
1a) Should novas trigger when you cleave firewood (plants, fungi)? Allies? Summons? Should cleave explosions be weaker beyond cleave damage already being weaker? (For example: Imagine strategies where you cast summon small mammal than deliberately anger them so you can cleave them for more explosions against a unique. Is this stupid and should be banned, or considered fine?)
1b) Do novas hit and anger your allies, or are they immune to them the same way you can't hit yourself with novas? How does this work with enemies holding a nova weapon - do they hit fellow enemies with the explosions, or are fellow enemies ignored by them?

2) dancing

When you're holding a dancing weapon, you can evoke it via the 'a' menu to turn it into a dancing weapon. Chance of success and strength of dancing weapon scale with evocations. When it dies, it jumps back into your inventory (you don't have to pick it back up). All dancing weapons share an elemental evoker XP cooldown (so that you can't spam dancing weapons, which was the problem with old Tukima's Dance, and so that it isn't optimal to make a dancing weapon every fight)

Things to figure out:
2a) I'm considering a QOL improvement to reduce tedium, as follows: If the danced weapon was in slot a or b, you automatically equip slot b or a (as though you hit '), otherwise you get an attribute that lasts one turn that lets you equip a weapon for free. Is this the best way to do it? Is this even necessary, if you aren't doing it in every fight anyway? (But wielding rods to use them is considered tedious, for example.)
2b) Alternatively, you could not need to wield a dancing weapon to dance it - if you have one anywhere in your inventory, the ability appears under 'a', and you pick a dancing weapon to dance. (Probably this version would make the success rate 100% just to get rid of UI annoyances if the ability fails)

I'm also still thinking about that -Potion/-Scroll/-Evoke/-Invoke set of abilities that you'd give to the four hell fiends or new enemies specifically designed to give them, not sure ATM how I'd want it to work.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Mainly I just dont want to advocate removing anything but if the allies got replaced with forms I would be happy. I just also like sunlight and moving through plants.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

If demigods are re-flavored, then "no confusion for ambrosia" won't necessarily make sense.

If demigods are re-flavored, though, they should be called Atheist Elves or Atheist Orcs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Neutral Dwarves. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I stand by robots

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Smoke_Max posted:

gently caress yeah, got my first victory! Even though it was the easiest class (MiBe), it still feels good. I went a long way from not knowing what distortion was to actually winning.

The most notable thing I recall is being teleported in Swamp 4, right after I first got in, straight into the room right before the rune, surrounded by a million monsters. Read a teleport scroll and was teleported into the rune's room, right beside a 27 headed hydra, what the gently caress. Decided I was dead and thought "let's see how many I can kill before I die", summoned a couple of bros and we took on everything, it was glorious.

High AC will save your skin against hydras. Who cares if something bites you 27 times if it does no damage :)

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
As a little flavor thing; whatever godless demigods gonna be, they should never leave a ghost on death; there's no form of afterlife waiting for them, they just vanish into the void.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

I'm thinking of doing the tomb:3 ambush in tree form this time :haw:

This should give me 360+ HP, 33 AC (45 when sanguine armor kicks in), 25+ SH (even more with Gong) and full torment immunity. My Ds has powered by pain for buffs, nightstalker 3 against smites and cloud immunity from Qaz against miasma. I have invocations at 27 so upheaval and disaster area are doing serious aoe damage. I will be casting song of slaying, regen and abjuration boosted by brilliance.

I'm still thinking I might be missing something. Does rN+++ protect against Slow from death scarabs? Will bennu gently caress me up with their holy attacks?

e: wielding a +9 broad axe of flaming

weirdly chilly pussy fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 12, 2018

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

e: wielding a +9 broad axe of flaming

I don't know about your actual concerns, but I would be a bit worried as a treeman if my weapon was a Broad Axe of Flaming. Please let us know how it goes.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anias posted:

I don't know about your actual concerns, but I would be a bit worried as a treeman if my weapon was a Broad Axe of Flaming. Please let us know how it goes.

it's a tragic origin story with an irony of fate subtext

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Teal posted:

it's a tragic origin story with an irony of fate subtext

He is the ultimate hero of the tree people. The Treeple. He tracked down the lumberjack that killed his family and exacted revenge, taking up the lumberjacks axe as his own weapon.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

spider wisdom posted:

e: I do know about Tab, and I guess it's all kinda moot since I could hit the corresponding letter. Maybe it's just academic at this point.

Numpad should work. Have you tried pressing Numlock ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Anias posted:

5/5 would tree up again

• Locked thread