Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno about this episode. I was pretty let down by what should have been a big, bombastic 100th anniversary and it felt more like a cheap bottle episode.

This whole season has been a bunch of bottle episodes.

I understand, their budget was apparently gutted, but this season isn’t really keeping my interest the way the others have. Still going to finish it out, because it’s still a decent show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LeafyOrb posted:

Literally every genre fiction show has done the "the show was all a dream" episode. It's loving stupid everytime it comes up, at least in this case it was brief and Coulson dismisses it pretty much immediately.

I dunno, Buffy "Normal Again" is a fantastic episode and does a great job of saying "This could actually be true."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Proteus Jones posted:

This whole season has been a bunch of bottle episodes.

I understand, their budget was apparently gutted, but this season isn’t really keeping my interest the way the others have. Still going to finish it out, because it’s still a decent show.

I really liked this season, but the lack of outside really shows. It's always been partly shot outdoors.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GimmickMan posted:

I love my dumb spy show.

Real disappointed we didn't get more Ward tho.

I was shocked worse fears didn't include Ward. Then again they've beat Ward so many times he doesn't qualify.

It'd been hilarious for a 2 second "Hi Ward!" then shoot him in the head, though.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Considering Fitz said the fear dimension fix was a temporary solution, I wouldn't be surprised if they're saving a Ward appearance for later in the season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

GigaPeon posted:

Think they'll hyphenate?

Simmons-Fitz is kinda hard to pronounce. Just go with SiFi.

Also they are such ridiculous nerds that they might actually call their daughter Lemma.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 10, 2018

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Why are you like this

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a good episode. Was the third obelisk after discussed or featured in anything, or was it just kinda there?

Also was there a teaser? I didn't see a teaser this week.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

hope and vaseline posted:

Why are you like this

I just like coming up with the worst possible names for couples, even if the better alternatives are established. In season three it was Hydra God, Grant Ward.

But in all honesty, I loved the wedding scene. Even if it happened in the underground bunker forest which was spawned from the mind of a dystopian space futurist, by a rift to the FEAR DIMENSION. This show is great again.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Them actually changing their last name to FitzSimmons would be so drat :3: and needs to happen.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
This was probably the single dumbest episode since early S1.

I loved every second of it

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I was shocked worse fears didn't include Ward. Then again they've beat Ward so many times he doesn't qualify.

It'd been hilarious for a 2 second "Hi Ward!" then shoot him in the head, though.

They did that with SquidWard, so the probably couldn't afford/schedule Brett Dalton or the non-morphed Lash.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GigaPeon posted:

They did that with SquidWard, so the probably couldn't afford/schedule Brett Dalton or the non-morphed Lash.

Keeping that poo poo from TMZ would have been impossible.

It's like the CIA

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Coulson going "let's wrap this up before something terrible happens lol" was literally the only thing that reassured me Fitz or Simmons wouldn't end up dead by the end of that scene.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jetfire posted:

Coulson going "let's wrap this up before something terrible happens lol" was literally the only thing that reassured me Fitz or Simmons wouldn't end up dead by the end of that scene.

Someone was irrationally afraid of the wedding massacre in Kill Bill and things get very awkward

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm shocked by so many things this episode!

Jemma and Fitz finally get married and nothing goes wrong within those three minutes.

They finally brought Dethlok back after like, three seasons of not a glint of his armor to be seen.

Deke managed to pull through and help the team!

Ghost Rider possessing Coulson having a negative effect on him was surprising, since Mack's still been fine afterwards.

And I'm stunned that Deke is Fitz Simmons attempt to play god and create a superhuman clone. What a twist! Still, they probably should've added some of May's DNA to the test tube, if they wanted to get a demigod with the pain tolerance of a rhino.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

And I'm stunned that Deke is Fitz Simmons attempt to play god and create a superhuman clone. What a twist! Still, they probably should've added some of May's DNA to the test tube, if they wanted to get a demigod with the pain tolerance of a rhino.

How did you come to that conclusion? My understanding (as it stands in the show so far) is that Deke is a descendant (which is still a big reveal). Unless I completely missed something last night.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

How did you come to that conclusion? My understanding (as it stands in the show so far) is that Deke is a descendant (which is still a big reveal). Unless I completely missed something last night.

The only thing you're missing is the tone of that quote

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh honey.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
That was an incredibly dumb episode. A fear dimension that just so happens to manifest all the greatest hits from the show's history? Really?

Also I'm glad Fitzsimmons are married and all but they committed my wedding pet peeve: saying that they wrote their own vows and then having them turn out to not in any way be actual vows. Come on guys :arghfist::(

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

GigaPeon posted:

Think they'll hyphenate?

No hyphenation. Fitzsimmons will do just fine.

:3:

GimmickMan posted:

I love my dumb spy show.

Real disappointed we didn't get more Ward tho.

At this point, they're not gonna stop and ask him what's going on. It's the fast train to Bullet Town.

A bullet train, if you will.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Ghost Rider possessing Coulson having a negative effect on him was surprising, since Mack's still been fine afterwards.

Mack isn't held together by bailing wire and Kree science.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
And his possession was more spur of the moment instead of a deal made beforehand

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vord posted:

And his possession was more spur of the moment instead of a deal made beforehand

Right, I totally forgot they came to an agreement for him to kick Aida's rear end.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

That was an incredibly dumb episode. A fear dimension that just so happens to manifest all the greatest hits from the show's history? Really?

Also I'm glad Fitzsimmons are married and all but they committed my wedding pet peeve: saying that they wrote their own vows and then having them turn out to not in any way be actual vows. Come on guys :arghfist::(

I assume it's a portal to the Dream Dimension and Nightmare's just loving with them.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought FEAR DIMENSION was kinda dumb at first, but what they did with Coulson made it worth it.

I was the same way, I thought the fear dimension was so lame it actually sent my appreciation for this show into a tailspin for a few minutes. But Coulson's encounter with Mike was very well done, and totally worth it. I didn't think for a second it was anything other than a manifestation of Coulson's fear, but I don't think you were really supposed to, what with still cutting away as someone else mentioned. It was just a great character scene.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
So watching the trailer for next weeks episode. Is that the guy that took the gravitonium at the end of season 1? Edit: IMDb says yes

Edit: Spoilered for :qq:

Vord fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 13, 2018

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
How come nobody ever spoiler tags the "scenes from next week's ep"? I watch on hulu and there's no trailer for next week, and I don't really care to know either, seems silly I can't come into these threads without little spoilers for the following episode.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Really enjoyed the 100th episode, even if it did seem to be a filler episode.

Just the right amount of reveals, and a moment for the characters to finally catch their breath and have a moment to be people.

Also, the moment of doubt in Coulson's head had me believing; I thought they might legit be pulling a St. Elsewhere.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm really glad that they packed the episode with a lot of emotion to make up for the budgetary constraints of the season. Coulson's reveal and the subsequent scene in the hallway with Daisy really shows how far the cast (especially Chloe Bennet) has come.

And of course the wedding :3:

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 12, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Coulson's conviction in the face of the ambiguity of whether all the events of the show had been real, also works on a meta level as the showrunners calling out all the people who like to pretend AoS isn't a proper part of the MCU just because the movies don't explicitly reference it in return. :smuggo:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

How come nobody ever spoiler tags the "scenes from next week's ep"? I watch on hulu and there's no trailer for next week, and I don't really care to know either, seems silly I can't come into these threads without little spoilers for the following episode.

I also watch on Hulu and think you're the one who's being silly. This is not a spoiler tag thread (Exhibit A: people posting their hot takes as the episode airs).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sesq posted:

I assume it's a portal to the Dream Dimension and Nightmare's just loving with them.

Thank you for reminding me that this is a real thing in the Marvel Universe. It seemed dumb until that. Because that is totally a thing that could happen in the comics. They already pretty much said "Hell is real" with Ghostrider, so why not?
I still think Nightmare looks so, so dumb, though. Not as dumb as he did back in the day, but still pretty 90s / Sandman wannabe.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Put Coulson in an LMD

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

homullus posted:

I also watch on Hulu and think you're the one who's being silly. This is not a spoiler tag thread (Exhibit A: people posting their hot takes as the episode airs).

He's right though, it's a longstanding TVIV rule that previews are spoiler-tagged.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

homullus posted:

I don't see how posting "hot takes" is the same as being like "oh hey look next week a character who is dead is back."

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Wait you mean the gravitonium guy they explicitly showed to be alive might make an appearance in the season where they are namedropping gravitonium five times an episode?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Wait you mean the gravitonium guy they explicitly showed to be alive might make an appearance in the season where they are namedropping gravitonium five times an episode?

Sir, the possibility of that not happening is approximately 3,720 to 1.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Never tell me the odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Murphys Law posted:

Never tell me the odds.

OK, the possibility of that not happening is approximately 8,420 to 2.