Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

AOTC has some nice janky, rubbery CGI. The true tragedy is that when Boba lifted his helmet for a tender moment later, the head didn't slide out of it

If you look closely at the shadow just before it hits the ground, you can see the shadow of the head coming out and bouncing off some other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/MyMiniFactory/status/972532665470672897

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh no no no :stonklol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm having a dense moment, someone explain the UK socket to me and how this ends badly

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm having a dense moment, someone explain the UK socket to me and how this ends badly

UK sockets have rectangular pins, so if you jam round Euro pins into one it will barely have any contact area and burn your house down.

Normally that isn't possible because UK sockets have an internal shutter that's moved away by the ground pin at the top, but that Cool Life Hack defeats that.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Oh yes yes yes, unfortunately. And it's been available on their site for a year, even after someone pointed out in the comments what a bad idea it is.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

1. UK has ring mains, so plugs have to have their own fuses

2. Round prongs mean a smaller contact area so more fire hazard potential (The actual spacing is different, too, but not enough to prevent some dumbass from jamming it in, though.)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/Lobo_Calrissian/status/972699972960423936

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I used to live in the UK and once accidentally plugged in a US DVD player without remembering to attach it to a 110/220 transformer, instantly causing a very loud pop as the insides fried themselves.

I can't even imagine what that damned adapter would do, especially when it's made from lovely 3D printer plastic.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Also lol, a proper adapter with a 13A fuse in it is £1.99 on Amazon.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Farmdizzle posted:

Also lol, a proper adapter with a 13A fuse in it is £1.99 on Amazon.

Depending on the hotel, you might even be able to borrow one from the front desk.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I used to live in the UK and once accidentally plugged in a US DVD player without remembering to attach it to a 110/220 transformer, instantly causing a very loud pop as the insides fried themselves.

I can't even imagine what that damned adapter would do, especially when it's made from lovely 3D printer plastic.

Really all the plastic part does is push a lever in the ground hole that opens the shutters for the other two prongs. It still won't let you attach anything that's designed for 110. That's probably what's so scary about it - you'll get some rear end in a top hat who uses one of these and thinks everything's okay because there wasn't a huge spitzensparken. Then they'll wind up starting a fire by leaving it plugged in.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Honestly I've traveled a lot for work and have used this trick in the past when I needed to charge my phone or shaver and had forgotten my UK adapter for some reason. I usually used something like a pen to open the shutter and then jam the Euro plug in.

You're not going to start a fire with your shaver or phone charger but it's a really bad idea to do this with any kind of regularity.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
:lol:

I went looking for one of those old pics of nails stuck into a wall socket to make an adapter. There are probably a few examples right here in this thread, but I thought I'd try GIS first and welp

(and it's on Pinterest, because of course it is)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eheheheheheheeeh :3:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Maybe try “nails power outlet”.

I thought most of those nowadays had a switching power supply that could handle 100-240V at both 50 and 60Hz. Apparently not so in all of them.

Shutter talk: Our switchgear have shutters in them as well. When the circuit breaker is racked into the bus they slide open. They’re made of fiberglass and have big warnings on them that electrified bare metal (at 4160V to 14kV potential) is sitting right behind them.

They can be forced open if necessary.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 11, 2018

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Farmdizzle posted:

Really all the plastic part does is push a lever in the ground hole that opens the shutters for the other two prongs. It still won't let you attach anything that's designed for 110. That's probably what's so scary about it - you'll get some rear end in a top hat who uses one of these and thinks everything's okay because there wasn't a huge spitzensparken. Then they'll wind up starting a fire by leaving it plugged in.

The plug in the picture is a europlug though so it won't instantly catch fire.

And really for temporary use under supervision that would probably be fine since that plug is only rated for 2.5A double insulated equipment anyway.
It's mostly used for phone chargers and small laptop chargers these days.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/awXX2j1_460sv.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

For a second I expected to see his bagpipe.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That is the single most Scottish thing I've seen in a long while...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

longview posted:

The plug in the picture is a europlug though so it won't instantly catch fire.

And really for temporary use under supervision that would probably be fine since that plug is only rated for 2.5A double insulated equipment anyway.
It's mostly used for phone chargers and small laptop chargers these days.

nobody dumb enough to buy that is gonna be supervising it and the danger is poor pin to socket contact resulting in arcing, which will heat the cord until the insulation melts and causes a hot/neutral short on an unfused circuit because UK mains wiring is insane.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My wife (who had never been further than Mexico) & I took a trip to Paris. I purchased the physical adapters. I found out about auto-switching on most electrical devices, and went so far as to test them with a large 110-220V transformer I kept from my years overseas in the 70’s. I think I brought one small transformer in case, but we didn’t need one. Or so I thought.

Although I explained the voltage/amperage difference to my wife, not all of it got through, or she was tired, or something. First morning there, we’re preparing to go out & there’s this cry from the bathroom...I smell burning hair. Wife comes out with her bangs burned off. She plugged her curling iron straight into the wall with the adapter. Fortunately, she wasn’t burnt.

I have a picture somewhere of the poor thing.

(edit) Ah: here we go:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 11, 2018

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Love the Doppler effect as he first jumps off :D

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

My wife (who had never been further than Mexico) & I took a trip to Paris. I purchased the physical adapters. I found out about auto-switching on most electrical devices, and went so far as to test them with a large 110-220V transformer I kept from my years overseas in the 70’s. I think I brought one small transformer in case, but we didn’t need one. Or so I thought.

Although I explained the voltage/amperage difference to my wife, not all of it got through, or she was tired, or something. First morning there, we’re preparing to go out & there’s this cry from the bathroom...I smell burning hair. Wife comes out with her bangs burned off. She plugged her curling iron straight into the wall with the adapter. Fortunately, she wasn’t burnt.

It was only drawing 4x the nameplate power, no big

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

It was only drawing 4x the nameplate power, no big

Yup. Remember - you double the voltage, you quadruple the power. (Based on standard V=IR, P=IVcos(theta).)

(Theta is the phase shift between voltage and current for loads not at a unity power factor. So if you have an inductive loaf like an induction motor the current waveform will lag behind the voltage waveform.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 11, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Oblig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpPIYy_YQk&t=228s

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Im an inductive loaf

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Power socket chat is reminding me of a grand old anecdote from the early days of the Space Age.

As Project Apollo was getting started up, the big aerospace companies competed to be the ones to build the actual spacecraft. When the engineers from North American showed up to do their pitch for why they should get to build the Command Module, they were running late and had to hurry right in and give their presentation to the NASA brass. Someone gave an introductory speech while a couple of techies worked to get their slide projector set up. But the techs made a horrifying discovery: the electrical plug on their projector didn't match the outlets available. It may have been a three-prong (less common back in the 1960s) with only two-prong outlets, but I'm not certain of that. No time to go get an adapter, the intro speech was wrapping up and that projector HAD to work or they'd look like a bunch of unprepared clowns.

So the techie did what any techie would do. He took out his pocketknife, hacked the plug off the end of the cord, bit the insulation off, and stuck the bare wires into the outlet. The projector lit up with zero seconds to spare. And that techie sat there for the entire proposal holding those wires in the outlet to make sure the connection stayed solid.

They ended up winning the competition and building the spacecraft.

The story is told in a few books; here's one from a cursory googling.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Power socket chat is reminding me of a grand old anecdote from the early days of the Space Age.

As Project Apollo was getting started up, the big aerospace companies competed to be the ones to build the actual spacecraft. When the engineers from North American showed up to do their pitch for why they should get to build the Command Module, they were running late and had to hurry right in and give their presentation to the NASA brass. Someone gave an introductory speech while a couple of techies worked to get their slide projector set up. But the techs made a horrifying discovery: the electrical plug on their projector didn't match the outlets available. It may have been a three-prong (less common back in the 1960s) with only two-prong outlets, but I'm not certain of that. No time to go get an adapter, the intro speech was wrapping up and that projector HAD to work or they'd look like a bunch of unprepared clowns.

So the techie did what any techie would do. He took out his pocketknife, hacked the plug off the end of the cord, bit the insulation off, and stuck the bare wires into the outlet. The projector lit up with zero seconds to spare. And that techie sat there for the entire proposal holding those wires in the outlet to make sure the connection stayed solid.

They ended up winning the competition and building the spacecraft.

The story is told in a few books; here's one from a cursory googling.

A younger me woulda thought that's loving stupid and dangerous and that they should have just said "oh hey fellas the projector is messed up can you give us a minute"

A current me realizes that delivering on your commitments is important

Also, its loving space and rockets so like yea the whole thing is stupid and dangerous loving do it :rock:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Im an inductive loaf

Load. Inductive load. drat autocorrect. :cripes:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PainterofCrap posted:

Does your wife know that when you tell this story you use the phrase "poor thing" to describe the curling iron rather than her?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gobbeldygook posted:

Does your wife know that when you tell this story you use the phrase "poor thing" to describe the curling iron rather than her?

Wait, that's not the picture of his wife??

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh, I wasn't. I was more pointing out that crosses == fatalities on the highway.

http://mtlegion.org/department/highway-fatality-markers.html

I made an effortpost about this somewhere but :effort:

I forget what comedian said it, but basically it goes: have you ever taken a trip on a highway and wondered, why are Christians such terrible drivers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I forget what comedian said it, but basically it goes: have you ever taken a trip on a highway and wondered, why are Christians such terrible drivers?

Jesus keeps taking the wheel.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nocheez posted:

Driving ability inversely correlated to area of car taken up by Jesus poo poo.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Trust in God, but lock up your car's brakes

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Whooping Crabs posted:

A portal to heck has opened on page 666.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Some people call it heck I call it Hades uh huh.
Heck is where you go when you don't believe in Gosh.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/qa4awIr.mp4

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
"Yeah, just hold the couches. You're strong enough. You'll be fine."

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

The wife didn't get plugged in to the wrong voltage, and hair grows back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what the gently caress are ropes

Nevermind, one of the sofas is half hanging out of the bed. No ropes or knots would have saved that.