Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I say we listen to the goon with a Snufkin AV, he knows what's up. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
nuuskamuikkunen is snufkin in english? i never knew thet

i wonder if there's any moomin metal

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wark Say posted:

I say we listen to the goon with a Snufkin AV, he knows what's up. :)

Thank you fellow cartoon av metalhead. Pirate metal is a real genre with real people playing real instruments for real metalheads, if you ask me. It is a serious genre about having fun, drinking beer, and sailing 17th-century swoops/frigates/what have you, which we can all realte to

Dyna Soar posted:

There isn't, that isn't a real genre. It's fake.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dyna Soar posted:

Google says yea

https://youtu.be/IsJ57TrV26M

Instrumental only sadly. I was hoping for a sample of the Muskrat going on about the uselessness of everything at least.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am all for Pirate metal. I mean, if Amon Amarth is allowed to roam free with their Viking Metal shtick, then so should bands of an infinitely more dashing nature.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Here is a band I like accompanied by an essay on why I believe it fits into this genre and why this genre is okay for me to enjoy. Furthermore,

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what about prehistoric jurametal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZtBVDSPi0I

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

COOL CORN posted:

Here is a band I like accompanied by an essay on why I believe it fits into this genre and why this genre is okay for me to enjoy. Furthermore,

[citation needed]

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only acceptable metal lyrical themes are Satan, the military, Warhammer 40k, comic books, kabbalic mysticism and space slugs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress IT, HERE'S A SONG ABOUT INSOMNIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE024YOfQNw

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I am all for Pirate metal. I mean, if Amon Amarth is allowed to roam free with their Viking Metal shtick, then so should bands of an infinitely more dashing nature.

Amon Amarth is not viking metal, it's melodeath about vikings
:goonsay:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Speaking of which, this is probably my fave BTBAM song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_STTzXIMwU

I really think Alaska was the last time they wrote songs that were complete thoughts and didn't meander too much.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I think one of BTBAM's strengths is that they can write long songs that don't meander and are tightly composed. IMO there isn't a single song on Parallax II that needs trimming down for example.

e: disclaimer, I like prog

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 12, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
amon amarth sucks, bathory is where it's at

i don't actually listen to viking metal, if you don't count black metal with viking themes

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

il_cornuto posted:

I think one of BTBAM's strengths is that they can write long songs that don't meander and are tightly composed. IMO there isn't a single song on Parallax II that needs trimming down for example.

e: disclaimer, I like prog

Unfortunately I am too dumb to express this more eloquently but as much as I like BTBAM, somehow their vocal melody lines are very predictable, even dull I would say.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Genres that are 100% based on lyrics and/or image are dumb. Early Enslaved = mid-era Bathory = idk, Einherjer? Makes sense to me, someone who only listens to Bike Metal (Judas Priest, Speedwolf and Steppenwolf)

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
listen to Unleashed you pussies

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
genres are kinda dumb and yet very useful. let's not get into this, it's a dead end discussion.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
can we start respecting nu metal itt?

thanks

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

listen to Unleashed you pussies

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auI7u8KGOwM

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
roots is a 3/5 album and body count rules. that's as far as i'll go

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DEAR RICHARD posted:

can we start respecting nu metal itt?

thanks
Only if we agree that Deftones are nu metal and Incubus (not the ones who are currently known as Opprobrium) are buttrock of the lowest order. :colbert:

Dyna Soar posted:

genres are kinda dumb and yet very useful. let's not get into this, it's a dead end discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHHTfDP57sI

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i never got into deftones, a lot of my friends love them but they always seemed lame to me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Deftones are hot garbage

change my mind

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

so good uggggh

The Deftones brand of dreamy heaviness is brilliant

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
The red wine and sage was hippie nonsense but dammit, Wolves in the Throne Room sounded amazing. Great show.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i mean i like slowdive and alice in chains and w/e the heavier side of deftones sounds like, but i never want to listen to them at the same time.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 12, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Only if we agree that Deftones are nu metal and Incubus (not the ones who are currently known as Opprobrium) are buttrock of the lowest order. :colbert:

They toured together. I went, it was great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

The Deftones are hot garbage

change my mind

Dyna Soar posted:

i mean i like slowdive and alice in chains and w/e the heavier side of deftones sounds like, but i never want to listen to them at the same time.
I've tried to get into their latest record for like the first month after it came out. Found out that the "meandering, stitched-together mess" my then girlfriend described it as fit for the most part. I did, however, liked the two songs where they seemingly try to get back into the "jumpdafuckup" feel of things ("Doomed User" and "Gore") and the two songs that end the record ("Phantom Bride" which funnily enough features a solo by none other than AIC's own Jerry Cantrell and "Rubicon") are probably among the best things they've ever done as a band.

The mayor problem with Deftones is that, while some of their forays outside of the whole chuggachugga domain are ok or even occasionally good, it's very apparent that it's what they do best is the chugga. Also, Chino needs to put the goddamn guitar down and let the Steph do his loving thing.

Kilometers Davis posted:

so good uggggh

The Deftones brand of dreamy heaviness is brilliant
I legit love this song and not just because of the Suicide-Girl-brigade-packed video. Three strings and two riffs. Simple and to the point (it's also probably from their last great back-to-back record).

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Deftones are amazing and one of the only bands from my youth that I still love and listen to regularly today. Not just the albums that released back then either, Koi No Yokan is a contender for the best album they've done.

Wark Say posted:

(it's also probably from their last great back-to-back record).

They've only put out one album since then (which was a step down in quality, though I still like it) I wouldn't write them off yet. I also disagree about the heavy stuff being what they do best, or at least I think the softer stuff can be fantastic too. White Pony was their best album until Koi No Yokan IMO. Plus Team Sleep's album was amazing.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 12, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
speaking of the lighter side of deftones, quicksand released a new album last year and while it's not metal by any stretch of the word, sergio vega plays bass in both bands and it kinda reminds me of deftones a bit if they dropped trying to make hard music. i like it a lot, much more than anything i've heard by deftones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgIJatX2uug

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 12, 2018

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Koi No Yokan is the best album they've ever done I think. Some of the classics might stand out more but as a whole album, nothing tops Koi. When Gauze / Rosemary kick in it's just so huge.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

il_cornuto posted:

Deftones are amazing and one of the only bands from my youth that I still love and listen to regularly today. Not just the albums that released back then either, Koi No Yokan is a contender for the best album they've done.
Indeed! I liked Koi no Yokan (the title still makes me a chuckle a little every time I say it to this day), but I still think that it has a few songs that could get better if they shaved at least a minute of run-time (or what I call "The Metallica Problem").

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Tempest is probably my favourite track off KNY, the vocals on the chorus are some of the best unearthly singing Chino's ever done and the whole thing nails the hypnotic heavy sound so well. Gauze and Rosemary flow brilliantly from it though, I agree that whole section of the album is just immense.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

A surprising amount of Deftones love up in here :hf:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Interrupting Deftones chat because Demilich is touring the eastern US (and Chicago and New Orleans) with Artificial Brain and Blood Incantation!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

joem83 posted:

A surprising amount of Deftones love up in here :hf:
I had one of the best nights in my life thanks to a Playlist that included songs from 4 different Deftones albums. When they stop faffing around, Deftones are probably one of the best bands to come out from the 90's that are still active and not... y'know, touring for nostalgia-milking sake or something.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Interrupting Deftones chat because Demilich is touring the eastern US (and Chicago and New Orleans) with Artificial Brain and Blood Incantation!!!
HOLY poo poo, THEY'RE BACK TOGETHER :stwoon:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

everyone should go see this if you can because i dont even know what to say other than this is an insane lineup

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

finnish demilich? go see them, they're on the top of their game live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wark Say posted:

HOLY poo poo, THEY'RE BACK TOGETHER :stwoon:

They've been back since the deluxe Nespithe release but don't play out that much. I imagine Antti is focuses on Jess and the Ancient Ones.